Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Wizard Wall?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2018 :  11:01:43  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
To Wooly,
I believe you live in Melbourne, FL. Or at least close to it. I noticed on a Google search that it states that WW has permanently closed. Is this true? Were you ever involved with that business?

(For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, Wizard Wall was a game store/comic/graphic novel place. They would run tournament and games tables there.)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2018 :  16:14:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

To Wooly,
I believe you live in Melbourne, FL. Or at least close to it. I noticed on a Google search that it states that WW has permanently closed. Is this true? Were you ever involved with that business?

(For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, Wizard Wall was a game store/comic/graphic novel place. They would run tournament and games tables there.)

Yeah, Kent (the owner) closed the place down a year or so ago. He'd moved from one location that was (I thought) a pretty good one, and relocated in this other spot that I always had a hard time finding. There were some issues, and I think the last couple years the place was open, his heart was just no longer in it.

I'd been shopping at the Wizard's Wall for years, myself. I bought PHBR2 The Complete Thief's Handbook and Tome of Magic there when both were new releases, and I bought a heck of a lot of 2E boxed sets and such there, too. There were many times in more recent years that as soon as my lunch break hit, I was off to the Wall for the latest release.

On Free RPG day a couple years ago, I went to the Wall and made a purchase, and Kent told me to go back and help myself to however much I wanted from this one particular rack in the back. It was all third-party stuff that he'd not been able to move, and I walked away with like $300 worth of stuff from that rack! I later found out he tossed everything else the next day, which sucked -- I was trying not to be greedy, and only took one copy of a book that I knew was going for a decent amount on eBay.

Since we only get dribs and drabs from WotC now, I wasn't hitting the Wall near as oft as I used to... So it was a surprise to me when it closed down. I had been following the Wall on Facebook, and Kent is one of my Facebook friends, and he'd not said anything about it on the FB.

We still have Get Your Fun On, in West Melbourne, co-located with the newest location of Famous Faces & Funnies, though GYFO has never impressed me as an RPG game store. And there's Dogs of War in Palm Bay, owned by a former customer and player at the Wall, but that one isn't anywhere near as convenient for me, since I don't live in Palm Bay any more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000