Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What does a shrine to Auril look like?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  07:23:39  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm making plans for a new house, and I wanted to finish my basement into a shrine for one of the Faerunian deities. I picked Auril at random, but I'm having trouble finding the specifics for what a shrine for her would look like.

The basement will be 20'x40' and finished in stone, with a rambling stone staircase leading to it. Additionally, I may hide the entrance to the basement with a mechanism in the wainscoting.

Suggestions are welcome.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  10:20:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just print out her holy symbol and stick it in the freezer, and your shrine is done.

On a more serious note, I'd say a shrine would include her holy symbol and various things representing her portfolios.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  11:17:37  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A giant popsicle!
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  16:13:19  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots and lots of ice sculptures. There may be ice golems hidden among them...

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  23:10:59  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From googling, it seems Icewind Dale 2, the game, got a temple of Auril in it. The pictures shows a PC game dungeon which is blue.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2018 :  04:10:03  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think most would be outdoors in a very cold place. Possibly monolithic stones, or even icy replacements. I would make her temple in the ice caves of a glacier - that would be beautiful. Look here for examples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ice+caves&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRgYWYiZbcAhVD4YMKHSwiBWkQ_AUICygC
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  02:16:49  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A real house? Add a freezer unit and keep it cool. Game house you need it to be cold. Gateway to the elemental subplane of Ice would come in handy. Or a Frostbrand Sword in a rack behind the Ice bar.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  02:17:51  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastermustard

I'm making plans for a new house, and I wanted to finish my basement into a shrine for one of the Faerunian deities. I picked Auril at random, but I'm having trouble finding the specifics for what a shrine for her would look like.

The basement will be 20'x40' and finished in stone, with a rambling stone staircase leading to it. Additionally, I may hide the entrance to the basement with a mechanism in the wainscoting.

Suggestions are welcome.

https://24spaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Secret-Stair-Storage.jpg

This is one of the best way to hide a basement.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2018 :  13:31:17  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastermustard

Suggestions are welcome.

First of all, get Craft: Ice Sculpting as a skill for your character.

For a small shrine, I would recommend casting Control Temperature ahead of rites. Some blue drapes, a few buckets of water to turn into sheets of ice or frost, and some strategically placed lights (magical or otherwise) to interact with for visual effect. Acts of worship would probably involve draining something of heat, whether mundane flaming coals, magical items, or full blown Sapient sacrifice.

For a full temple I would add some Permanency spells, and go all in on visual effects and ice sculptures. Frost themed defenses would also be a must. Cold Wards, various Undead frozen in ice pillars/walls/floors, slippery surfaces that the defenders are immune to but clueless adventurers aren't. To avoid predictability, not all defenses should be cold-based, but keep in mind that Auril likely isn't the kind of Goddess who would take kindly to worshippers defending her temple with Flame Strikes or Heat Metal spells.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000