Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lich or Vampire or Magic jar body leaping
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2018 :  04:26:37  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never seen anything that said assuming gaseous form delays the aging process. I can see the argument both ways.
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2018 :  15:23:40  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh there's also the "Boon of Immortality" in the 5e DMG, under the rewards section. I mean it's an in-game mechanical bonus rather than an actual existing-in-lore one, but it's not a far stretch to say that a character has been blessed (or cursed) by their deity to have an unnaturally long lifespan.

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2018 :  03:11:28  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is basically what being a chosen is in my mind. Everyone other than the chosen think it a boon... after a few centuries the chosen think it a curse.
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  02:07:41  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

That is basically what being a chosen is in my mind. Everyone other than the chosen think it a boon... after a few centuries the chosen think it a curse.

That is because your always just a lackey.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  03:38:25  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, its not because you're a "lackey." Its because death is the thing that makes life worthwhile; the knowledge that any moment might be your last makes every moment more precious. The ties one builds to people and places and things creates the illusion of permanence and gives one a place. What happens when time wipes that all away? They can't die, but they also can't really live. All the Chosen are left with is the purpose their god gives them.

My first real introduction to this idea was the portrayal of the TV show Roar. The characterization of Longinus was brilliant. God would not let him die - he was cursed for eternity for killing Christ. The same idea came back almost immediately in Dracula 2000 in which Dracula is revealed to be Judas Iscariot, and his undeath was his eternal curse for betraying Christ.

Same thing with the flying dutchman . Examples of the curse of immortality are all over if you look for them.
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  20:26:09  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

No, its not because you're a "lackey." Its because death is the thing that makes life worthwhile; the knowledge that any moment might be your last makes every moment more precious. The ties one builds to people and places and things creates the illusion of permanence and gives one a place. What happens when time wipes that all away? They can't die, but they also can't really live. All the Chosen are left with is the purpose their god gives them.

My first real introduction to this idea was the portrayal of the TV show Roar. The characterization of Longinus was brilliant. God would not let him die - he was cursed for eternity for killing Christ. The same idea came back almost immediately in Dracula 2000 in which Dracula is revealed to be Judas Iscariot, and his undeath was his eternal curse for betraying Christ.

Same thing with the flying dutchman . Examples of the curse of immortality are all over if you look for them.

Great a death cultist.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000