Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cormyrean Nobility Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  02:44:55  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

Just a wee question to pose that will hopefully precipitate a brainstorm.

My question:
Under what circumstances might eight different Cormyrean Noble Houses find that they are all equally eligible to assume governance of a town or outpost? This after say a sudden death or disgrace suffered by the current governor..

My thinking is around land ownership, control/construction of key infrastructure (ie. roads, defensive walls, etc.)..

What are your thoughts noble scribes?

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  05:16:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this will work for you or not... But given the limited info here and the stated objective, I'd have it be some sort of outpost or colony, outside of Cormyr and in lands beyond the official control of the Crown. It could be uncontrolled territory in Faerūn, it could be a recently discovered island in the Sea of Fallen Stars, or even a colony in lands beyond Faerūn.

And this outpost/colony was founded or for some reason wound up in the control of a cabal of 9 noble families. For local governance, they formed a council, with one representative from each family, and that council of 9 elevates one of their number to act as the head of the council, with some proviso that once a family has held the top spot, they can't hold it again until three other families have held the position.

So then that head dies under mysterious circumstances, or flat-out disappears...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  12:30:48  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perfect. The council idea works well. A council of landholders with a long history and no way to choose a successor to govern when the governor is suddenly missing/presumed dead. I'm thinking Eagle Peak as the place for it, a fortified caravan stop really, which could gradually have become more of a hotspot considering its proximity to the Well of Dragons in 1489DR.. I'm thinking that sort of Cult of the Dragon activity would create dangerous waves in the vicinity (I mean it's a crapload of Dragons and Cultists flocking to a fairly unoccupied region all of a sudden and setting up shop) and generate considerable interest and investment in the area by the Crown... Might give one or more noble families a chance to shine and/or profit?

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2018 :  18:03:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Thangorn,

I wanted to chime in here, as a personal interest of mine that I study apart from my formal job involving economics and marketing. I briefly wanted to mention that reading some materials from Justinian the 1st, such as the transcribed, Corpus Juris Civilis would really help, if you wanted to go hardcore, on what I am about to suggest. That being said...

Since Zakhara is Forgotten Realms, I would suggest reading the Law of the Loregiver, which discusses principles that I feel strongly came from Corpus Juris Civilis, or was at least impacted by aspects from it. Anything you will find in the expansions or accessories such as Lands of Intrigue or Cormyrean books such as Four from Cormyr, will only discuss criminal law. What you are really are referring to is civil law. Granted, all of the work from Corpus is not civil, but it does address civil law for sure (the law of man dealing with men), and you will find that same principle of jurisprudence within the Law of the Loregiver. Of course, there is a very distinct Persian/Turkish influence going on within that culture, so you could always adjust as needed.

The primary aspect of what you are looking for is in the following books:
  • Al-Qadim: City of Delights (Golden Huzuz, book 2)
  • Land of Fate (Fortunes and Fates)

I use this system of civil jurisprudence as a means to quickly adjudicate issues (I've adapted the system to (14) nations thus far), while maintaining a connection to the Realms in published materials. Additionally, it is the singular form of civil jurisprudence in the Realms, as far as I know.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Thangorn

Hi all,

Just a wee question to pose that will hopefully precipitate a brainstorm.

My question:
Under what circumstances might eight different Cormyrean Noble Houses find that they are all equally eligible to assume governance of a town or outpost? This after say a sudden death or disgrace suffered by the current governor..

My thinking is around land ownership, control/construction of key infrastructure (ie. roads, defensive walls, etc.)..

What are your thoughts noble scribes?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000