Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ecamane Truesilver - is there more lore about him?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grisix
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2018 :  04:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Grisix's Homepage Send Grisix a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There is a quote in the Mordenkainen Tome in the Evermeet chapter about this high mage, but I have a hard time finding more information about him.

Anyone knows if there is more lore information available about him, as he seems to have been possibly the second most important person after Alustriel in the development of Silverymoon.

Thanks for the help!

D&D 5th Edition GM
https://defenders-of-khelb.obsidianportal.com/

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2018 :  05:05:13  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was a human that read and learned the magic of a Nether Scroll in Myth Drannor, was the first ruler of Silverymoon and created the Vault of Sages. This is all in the Silver Marches book. Also I think he gets a mention in the 3.5E campaign book and the old North boxed set. And the History of the Realms, of course.

I don't think there is all that much information about him.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2018 :  07:04:01  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's also in this edition of Mintiper's chapbook:

http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/lore/mintiper/05.shtml
Go to Top of Page

Grisix
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2018 :  05:03:35  Show Profile  Visit Grisix's Homepage Send Grisix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pointers!

D&D 5th Edition GM
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2018 :  21:49:24  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a problem.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  04:58:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no more official lore on Ecamane other than a mention in the "Fall of Myth Drannor" accessory. Unofficially, his origins are ... interesting.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Grisix
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  08:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Grisix's Homepage Send Grisix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

...Unofficially, his origins are ... interesting.

-- George Krashos

Such a tease!
I am interested to know more, unofficially

D&D 5th Edition GM
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  09:21:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His surname is a bit of a giveaway.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  09:46:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now I'm going to have to spend the next week searching through lore trying to decipher the mystery. Thank you George, I sincerely mean it because I do love searching through realmslore trying to decipher mysteries.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  11:40:48  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder... has it anything to do with the Truesilver Cormyrean noble family?

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  11:45:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing it's the other way around.
I wonder is his surname that he is the true heir of something to do with silver (silverymoon perhaps)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  20:08:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the best I can come up with is Amedahast who perhaps didn't sacrifice herself after all.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  21:42:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking he was a Chosen.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2018 :  22:07:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my first thought was khelben but that was before the fall of myth drannor although him masquerading as other people is his things, I just think it's too early for him

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2018 :  00:05:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was from Corymyr. He's taught by a moon elf named Deynriir "The Silver Sorcerer". He read a "nether scroll" while in Myth Drannor and it "turned his hair prematurely white". He then helped establish Silverymoon by building a school for mages and was its first ruler. He helped fight in the weeping war, during which he saved the "nameless chosen" and later he died destroying a portal to protect Silverymoon from the demons attacking Myth Drannor.

555 DR Year of Dances Perilous
Ecamane Truesilver is born in Suzail at the start of the year, and he and his parents arrive in Myth Drannor by the year’s end.

569 DR Year of Tumbled Bones
Ecamane Truesilver becomes an apprentice of Deynriir the Silver Sorcerer. Unknown to him at the time, Ecamane also secretly becomes an acolyte of Windsong Tower [–3095, 580] under his moon elf tutor.

580 DR Year of Loose Coins
Ecamane Truesilver becomes one of the first humans to learn of the transformed Nether Scrolls [–654, 1344] known as the Quess’Ar’Teranthvar and gain knowledge from them. After ten months of meditation, Ecamane leaves
Windsong Tower [569, 684], his hair prematurely white due to the magics and wisdom he gained from the artifact.

588 DR Year of Dragons Dawning
Ecamane Truesilver leaves Myth Drannor with comrades and pupils of his own to restore proper studies of magic to the Savage North and redeem the ill deeds of the Netherese archwizards of the past.

627 DR Year of the Bloodcrystals
Ecamane Truesilver and his nine apprentices arrive in Silverymoon [574, 637]. Claiming that five goddesses (Eldath, Mielikki, Lurue, Mystra, and Sehanine) drew them there, the mages create a school of magic patterned
on elf teachings.

637 DR Year of the Silver Sun
Ecamane Truesilver, a great teacher of magic, is elected High Mage (ruler) of Silverymoon [627, 659].

659 DR Year of the Hunting Ghosts
Tulrun, born Tallrunner Tigris of the Red Tiger tribe and later known as Tulrun of the Tent, is sent by Ecamane Truesilver to the Incanistaeum in Myth Drannor to study magic under the tutelage of the Seven Wizards.

— Thirty wizards from Myth Drannor and twenty wizards from elsewhere in the Realms migrate to Silverymoon [637, 694] and begin establishing its role as a sister city to Myth Drannor and a center of magical and mundane learning. This year is known as the Year of Mage’s Dawning in Silverymoon

712 DR Year of the Lost Lance
The Weeping War: The conflict continues through the year, resulting in the deaths of many heroes and many members of the Harpers at Twilight [449, 720]. There are four major campaigns this year, and Myth Drannor nearly
falls prey to the Army of Darkness.
— The Spiders’ Truce is established between the drow of House Dhuurniv and the elves of Cormanthyr against the Army of Darkness.
— The Nameless Chosen [464, 720] is transported to Silverymoon Pass by the Silversgate Portal in Myth Drannor while fighting the mezzoloth host of Cvor and is sorely wounded. He is saved only by the aid of Ecamane Truesilver and other wizard allies from the Gem of the North who destroy the remaining mezzoloths and transport the Nameless Chosen to Silverymoon [694, 719] for healing.
— Ecamane Truesilver destroys the portal to Myth Drannor created by the Battle of Silversgate to prevent any other fiends from being transported to Silverymoon Pass. The strain of doing so causes the death of the elderly and frail Ecamane. He is succeeded by his great-nephew and head apprentice Aglanthol the Red as High Mage of Silverymoon.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2018 :  00:07:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, the person that's intriguing me after all this is Dornal Silverhand. What lore do we actually have on him other than what's in Seven Sisters? We know Silverhand tower is "near Neverwinter"... but do we have any idea where? Does it still stand? What do we know of the Silverhand family (besides the obvious seven)? Any chance he's still around as "the watcher"?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 25 Jun 2018 00:11:07
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2018 :  02:45:15  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A bit more on Ecamane, from Ed via THO:

quote:
Originally posted by forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14621&whichpage=39
". . . when Ecamane Truesilver studied the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar in Windsong Tower (my copy of GHotR places it in 580 DR), reportedly a complete set of fifty scrolls (all five chapters), which chapters of the scrolls did he study?"

Ed: All of them. He had Azuth assisting him in a complete walkthrough. Keeping him from insanity and overload, but leaving him like your average university student cramming through a difficult course: read everything, understood most of it - - but a year later, only a few "high points" stuck in his memory. The lasting benefits were breakthrough insights regarding those high points, and a half-remembered "ah, THIS way will probably work better . . . I seem to remember . . ." for the rest of it, when doing magical innovation.

"He spent ten months studying them and had his hair "aged white" from the magic and wisdom gained, but unless he had divine aid, he would have gone quite insane, no?"

Ed: Yes. Without divine aid, he would have gone quite insane. (For most mages, drooling, barking, wild behavior OBVIOUSLY insane. A rare few can still function, hiding their insanity from others for long periods - - and they of course become the most dangerous.)

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2018 :  06:15:06  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't find where it is - maybe someone else can find it - but I thought there was a blurb about a wizard fitting his description looking for / finding a certain spell book and Alustriel being wanting any information people could give about that.
Go to Top of Page

Grisix
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2018 :  07:33:19  Show Profile  Visit Grisix's Homepage Send Grisix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
659 DR Year of the Hunting Ghosts
Tulrun, born Tallrunner Tigris of the Red Tiger tribe and later known as Tulrun of the Tent, is sent by Ecamane Truesilver to the Incanistaeum in Myth Drannor to study magic under the tutelage of the Seven Wizards.

Tulrun finding a gold scroll (Nether Scroll?) near Beorunna's Well and bringing it to Ecamane may be an important aspect of him being sent to Incanistaeum.

D&D 5th Edition GM
Go to Top of Page

Grisix
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2018 :  07:37:05  Show Profile  Visit Grisix's Homepage Send Grisix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

From what Ed mentioned in AJA's post, would he be a Chosen of Azuth if he was a Chosen?

D&D 5th Edition GM
Go to Top of Page

Grisix
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2018 :  07:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Grisix's Homepage Send Grisix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

BTW, the person that's intriguing me after all this is Dornal Silverhand.

Looking around, I find this tidbit
"Dornal and Mystra/Elue were wed in the Year of Drifting Stars (760 DR)."
Ecamane's death would be in 712DR

What connection are you thinking about?

D&D 5th Edition GM
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2018 :  12:58:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grisix

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

From what Ed mentioned in AJA's post, would he be a Chosen of Azuth if he was a Chosen?

Off the top of my head, I'm not recalling Azuth having any Chosen. I regard that as more of a Mystra thing, anyway.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000