Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Waterdeep map from Mike Schley
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  19:51:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Announced via the book of Faces

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  20:50:17  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link!

Side note, "Book of Faces" sounds quite ghastly, but considering all the stuff surrounding it, perhaps that isn't altogether inappropriate. XD
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  21:06:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone heard distant screaming over the last half hour, it was me, screaming in frustration, as I tried to work around the restrictions at work to get this wonderful new map onto my computer.

It took some creativity and the fortunate recent purchase of an adapter allowing me to connect a thumb drive to my cell phone, but I am now basking in the glory that is a Mike Schley map of my favorite place in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  21:12:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I was just checking out Mike Schley's site the other day, seeing if he had a Waterdeep map up...

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2018 :  05:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice catch, can never have enough high quality maps. Love that it offers a player and a DM version, another great thing that is often overlooked.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2018 :  12:59:15  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://prints.mikeschley.com

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2018 :  02:43:44  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your excited for new Waterdeep maps, apparently Waterdeep: Dragon Heist will have a huge fold out map of Waterdeep, with street names and everything. Plus a whole bunch of other maps.

And of course Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage will have a map of Skullport and various layers of Undermountain.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2018 :  21:32:08  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The thing is…… this Mike Schley Waterdeep Map is based on the Lords of Waterdeep boardgame, taking place well before the 5th Edition.

Dragon Heist, on the other hand, does take place exactly in the 5th Edition Era….. so the maps that we will get from Waterdeep Dragon Heist may or may not be different. Did Waterdeep change significantly in between 5th Edition and the 3rd/4th editions? Did entire districts change or disappear? Were some districts destroyed? Were new walls or neighborhoods built? Were important landmarks taken away because Mike Mearls said so?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2018 :  22:02:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

The thing is…… this Mike Schley Waterdeep Map is based on the Lords of Waterdeep boardgame, taking place well before the 5th Edition.

More properly, this Waterdeep map is from the pre-4E version of Waterdeep, and is what the map in the game Lords of Waterdeep is based on.

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2018 :  00:05:57  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My recollection is the additions to Waterdeep in 4th edition were reversed in 5e, returning it more or less to 3e. According to the SCAG, they cleared the broken boats from the harbor and disassembled Mistshore in the process and a plague cleaned out the Warrens and Downshadow.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2018 :  00:11:43  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even with removing some 4e elements, I imagine there are some things that are different on the 5e map from 3e.
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2018 :  09:29:00  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the process of doing an interactive pdf out of Mike Schley's Waterdeep map.

I want to have the districts outlines, the sewers map, and all locations with buttons ala Google Maps innjust one document.

Eventually, my plans are to do the same with Mike Schley's Sword Coast and Chult's maps. I'm curious to see wether Dragon Heist map will be this one or a new one. I love Mike Schley's style of mapping (a mix of beautiful and useful) and I would rather have a map from him than for example Jared Blando's.

Jared maps are also very good but I prefer Mike's style.

Anyway I'm eager to see what they are going to present in this encarnation of waterdeep
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2018 :  11:12:20  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both have good mapping styles, but different. Mike Schley's maps are a cartographer's dream. They are the kind of maps a DM will use for the sake of accuracy and in-game verisimilitude. Jared Blando's maps are the kind of artistic "Old World" flair maps that Elminster or Volo himself would actually be holding in their libraries.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000