Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Regarding the cover art for Starlight and Shadows
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  19:56:18  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Who's the human male depicted on the cover of the 'Daughter of the Drow'?

On 'Tangled Webs' cover, Liriel Baenre is presented as standing in front of a broad-shouldered, blonde, Nord Barbarian type,
which is exactly how I would imagine the Rashemi Berserker Fyodor. The human on the first cover, however, is thinner, and dark of hair, with scars and piercings that make him
seem more like a pirate or assassin than good-natured nordic barbarian, in spite of the large sword (of differing design!) that they both seem to carry.

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  21:53:37  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is Fyodor, and the way he is depicted in the illustration is pretty on point given the descriptions of him. He is dark-haired like most Rashemis and kind of gaunt-looking, particularly after his intensive rages.

The Tangled Webs cover is of Hrolf the Unruly, the Ruathen captain who takes Liriel along as a passenger aboard the Elfmaid.

Edited by - deserk on 10 Jun 2018 21:54:46
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  00:06:39  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are two covers for that novel I believe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daughter_of_the_Drow

and

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Daughter_of_the_Drow

In both instances deserk would be correct, it is Fyodor.

Tangled webs also has two covers. I would have guessed Fyodor where deserk said Hrolf, but I can buy that. On the other cover has an illithid.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  04:44:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was "flattering portrait of the artist's girlfriend, through a standard filter" thing, too.

Anyway, old covers, new covers.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2018 :  01:33:32  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

It is Fyodor, and the way he is depicted in the illustration is pretty on point given the descriptions of him. He is dark-haired like most Rashemis and kind of gaunt-looking, particularly after his intensive rages.

The Tangled Webs cover is of Hrolf the Unruly, the Ruathen captain who takes Liriel along as a passenger aboard the Elfmaid.

Where does their dark hair come from? Their culture seems to have a lot of very clear Germanic pagan and Russian influences, and the cold climate favours lighter genetics, so it seems strange.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2018 :  05:49:41  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is plenty of dark hair in all the regions you mention. Not a majority, but its there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000