Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Council of the Reborn Phoenix
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  18:30:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I woke up last night with an idea, and I just felt like fleshing it out. Look it over and give me your honest thoughts. Too cheesy? Interesting? Can it be improved upon? One of the ideas I was playing with is the idea that Saeyed and Pecilla might periodically "birth" a new phoenix, but that the majority of these have died in combat with the nyama-nummo (who are attracted to and feed upon the eggs of a phoenix before it can hatch).... but I'm not sure if I like that.

The Council of the Reborn Phoenix
On the western coast of Katashaka is a strange realm which borders Manu-Ni-Maloa, land of the fearsome nyama-nummo. It is a land of peace and prosperity. It is a land of strange friendships. Moreover it is a land of great beauty on the borders of great evil, with its verdant, flowering jungles, glistening lakes and rivers, and opulent earthmotes.

This land comprises many different races, including Tigran, Lenastan, and Tabaxi cat folk, aarakocra, ibidean, Tucati, and Pa'ratxi bird folk, muisling and miraji rodent folk, the Watilii flower people, Campestri mushroom folk, and even awakened normal beasts and fowl. The realm is ruled by a millenias old dynasty of benevolent sphinx who claim to serve the main gods of the land, Ix Chel, Nobanion, and Feenicx. While long-lived, these sphinx somehow lost their immortality, and as a result it is said that they seek to atone for the sins of past generations by guiding mortals on the path of righteousness. Some outsiders believe that these sphinxes guard some great secret within the borders of the Wakanari Highlands, but what that is, it appears noone can say.

However, despite these sphinx acting as the rulers, there is a group of strange benefactors of the realm who seem to exist as immortal guardians, oracles, and councilors to the ruling class. They are known as the Council of the Reborn Phoenix. This group does not seek to rule themselves, but to act as advisors, and during times of great danger, protectors of the realm and its inhabitants. But, who are the members of this council? How did they come about?

Formation of the Council of the Reborn Phoenix of the Wakanari Highlands

Long ago, the people of the Wakanari Highlands were besieged by one of the great nyama-nummo of the interior of Katashaka, a great, three headed, black-scaled, sixteen legged monstrosity of claws and teeth, and whose spit it was said could melt the flesh from a man. However, this powerful beast was not only powerful, but also intelligent, and it led an army of lizard folk. This army not only captured territory, but they devoured any individuals captured in a frenzy of blood lust.

The wise androsphinx and gynosphinx rulers of the Wakanari Highlands sent trained Tigran and Tabaxi troops mounted upon giant griffins and eagles, as well as winged Aarakocra, Pa'raxi, and Tucati troops. A small portion of them returned to report that the strange lizard folk also held a contingent of winged reptile-folk, the savages which Faerunians would call Dragonkin. While they had decimated the numbers of these dragonkin, more than two thirds of the troops had been slain. Most of the remainder of the troops were still having to flee on foot through the surrounding jungles, with the lizard folk and dragonkin riding their heels. The wisened sphinx rulers were crestfallen, and some feared that this would be the beginning of the fall of their idealic society, but not their great leader, Sayaed the androsphinx.

It is said that at this time, that the god, Feenicx, sent unto an aarakocra druid a dream ritual which, when performed during the rebirth of the sun at dawn, would summon an elder elemental, known as a Phoenix (see Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes), to battle their foe. The aarakocra did go to his wise sphinx rulers and tell him of his dream from this strange entity, and all knew that it was a message from the gods. The druid then did warn his rulers of the other part of his dream, that should the phoenix die and be reborn, it would be no longer under his control and could spell the doom of the realm as it would .

The ritual was performed by the druid the next morning, summoning a gargantuan eagle made of flames. The phoenix then did go forth to combat the nyama-nummo. The battle fought between the two was great, setting the surrounding jungle aflame and burning many of the invading reptilians. However, the nyama-nummo was obviously the more powerful of the two beings, and it appeared that despite being heavily wounded, it would win the fight. Finally the nyama-nummo did use its three heads on serpentine necks to bite down on the phoenix and rip it asunder.

However, this was not to be the last of the phoenix, for it left behind a great flaming egg, and before the great nyama-nummo could devour it, Sayaed, the great androsphinx ruler, did swoop down and collect the egg and fly away. During this time, Pecilla, the gynosphinx lover of Sayaed, did order the druid to once again cast the ritual to summon another phoenix in order to stop the encroaching nyama-nummo. Once again a great eagle of flame appeared, and once again it was slain by the nyama-nummo. This time it was Pecilla who did rescue the egg. The people of the Wakanari Highlands then did know despair, for if they did not die in the toothed maw of the nyama-nummo, surely they would die in the flames of the two elder elementals when they were reborn.

It would come to be known later that the aarakocra druid had not been the only one to receive a dream vision, for Nobanion and Ix Chel had appeared to Sayaed and Pecilla and told them that they would be able to save their people, but only at the sacrifice of their own lives. So it was that Sayaed had secretly directed a small group of cat and bird folk adventurers to seek out secrets of the ancient humans of Katashaka even before the threat of the nyama-nummo had appeared.

These adventurers returned at the same time that their ruler returned to his citadel in the Eyes of Ix Chel, as the earthmotes that float above the Wakanari Highlands are known. They brought with them many magical treasures and stories of the perils that they had faced. But most importantly, they had found a ritual to bond the spirit of the living to one unborn. Thinking it to be a foul necromancy, they hesitated to mention it to Sayaed, but upon hearing of it, Sayaed instantly knew why Nobanion's dream had been sent. The wise ruler of the Wakanari peoples then did summon his most powerful spirit shamans, and they did gather. Sayaed and Pecilla then called the children of their pride together to say goodbye, bidding them rule wisely in their absence. The next dawn, the spirit shamans began a ritual that would take three days to complete and involving the sacrifice of Sayaed, Pecilla, and the aarakocra druid. When the phoenix eggs cracked, two entirely new types of entities emerged. From one egg a powerful griffin-like being of flame emerged. All knew that Sayaed had been reborn into the phoenix, and that the phoenix had been reborn as Sayaed. From the other egg a great peacock of blue and green fire emerged. All knew that Pecilla had been reborn into the phoenix, and that the phoenix had been reborn as Pecilla. The transformed beings then did fly forth and do battle with the nyama-nummo, slaying it and scattering its horde of reptilian followers back to Manu-Ni-Maloa, land of the nyama-nummo.

Since that time, the two strange phoenii have served as protectors, oracles, advisors, and symbols to the people of the Wakanari Highlands. It is said that Sayaed is favored by Nobanion and that Pecilla is favored by Ix Chel, but both are favored by Feenicx. However, since they were no longer mortal, they would no longer rule the people of their home. Thus was born the Council of the Reborn Phoenix, as the two great spirit beings served their descendants by offering guidance when requested. More than once has Sayaed, the fiery griffin, and Pecilla, the blazing peacock, been forced to protect the land from the depredations of foul nyama-nummo, only to die in service to its people and be reborn.

In addition to these three individuals, the Phoenix council also consists of several other individuals who have been transformed by interacting with the gods into great spirit beings. What exactly are the powers of these individuals has not been decided at this time, but they are presented more to give a picture of the Reborn Phoenix Council.

Paoulae, Lord of the Prismatic Feathers , appears as a giant red parrot of with rainbow wings that shine bright. It is said that he was a Pa'ratxi spirit shaman when still mortal. Some believe that he is the father of the corollax, having birthed them upon Ix Chel upon his ascension.

Nobanu, the Firemane, appears to be a sphinx still, but his wings and mane are made of golden fire and he is of a much larger size than a normal sphinx (being size huge) . It is said that Nobanu was transformed by Nobanion during a time of great need by the people of the Wakanari Highlands. Some whisper that he is in fact a child of Nobanion born upon a gynosphinx who prayed to Nobanion for a child.

Ticasanna, the rain princess, appears to be a gargantuan toucan with a beak that seems to be constantly changing colors. She is known for having great power over winds, rain, and lightning and is particularly favored by Ix Chel. It is thought that Ticasanna was once a mortal Tucati sorceress who somehow found and used ancient creator race magics to join herself with an elder tempest (see Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes).

Uhkanna, the great Hakuna, appears to be a gargantuan dragonne whose origins are a mystery, but who came forth from the lands of Manu-Ni-Maloa shortly after the founding of the Council of the Reborn Phoenix. Some believe him to be a demigod born of the union of a now dead draconic goddess and a wemic who worshipped her.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  21:51:01  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas, you need to compile all your Katashaka material into one big document at some point. You come up with some really cool stuff. I have to pore through this some more but right now I’m loving the big old toucan. For some reason it made me really crave Fruit Loops!

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  22:42:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Sleyvas, you need to compile all your Katashaka material into one big document at some point. You come up with some really cool stuff. I have to pore through this some more but right now I’m loving the big old toucan. For some reason it made me really crave Fruit Loops!

I know. I never would have thought I'd have gotten so pulled into the region. Its almost like I want to detail this region of the realms rather than focus on my United Tharchs, because at present I have such a free hand. But, I also want to do my United Tharchs. I think I need to just finish my overview document for the Tharchs which covers them all at a high level and include that with my Tharchs that are in Faerun (i.e. wizard's reach and Peleveran/shaar). I'm probably 60-70% there already. Then maybe I'll do a combined United Tharchs of Lopango/Western Pridelands of Katashaka/New Eltabbar (NE Katashaka) and an overview of Katashaka itself.

Oh, and on the toucan... yeah, I know... I couldn't resist it. I have a lot of "rainbow" going on with this region, but it just seems to fit. BTW, did you do lore on the corollax's origin or was that just the plumazotl? Oh, and yeah, I had this whole picture of Toucan Sam blazing in my mind and was trying to find some way to make him different. Speaking of which, out of commemoration of his inspiration... I'm going to the market in a few minutes, and guess I'm buying fruit loops.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  00:59:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once did something like this for a campaign over the stone lands, in what is called in a couple places (including a scroll here somewhere) the Cloudlands. The kingdom included cloud and storm giants, elves, dragons, etc. all living in the clouds or on mountain peaks. The leader of the assembled people was an elven Coronal that had a sword (like the ruler's blade or Cormanthyr) with two major powers: it would allow him to shapechange into a greater pheonix and it would immolate and then reincarnate him with some unique of high magic upon his death. He would become a new person, but would retain the memories of all his previous lives.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  02:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I know. I never would have thought I'd have gotten so pulled into the region. Its almost like I want to detail this region of the realms rather than focus on my United Tharchs, because at present I have such a free hand.

There are so few places that have been left so untouched - I think that's what makes it fun. Particularly when you can tie in the little Realmslore that exists canonically.

quote:

But, I also want to do my United Tharchs. I think I need to just finish my overview document for the Tharchs which covers them all at a high level and include that with my Tharchs that are in Faerun (i.e. wizard's reach and Peleveran/shaar). I'm probably 60-70% there already. Then maybe I'll do a combined United Tharchs of Lopango/Western Pridelands of Katashaka/New Eltabbar (NE Katashaka) and an overview of Katashaka itself.

I think we have discussed this once before, but I don't remember for certain - have you checked out Nyambe for inspiration for Katshaka? If my players ever head down there, that would be the version of Katashaka I use with the addition of the Nyamma-Nummo.

quote:

BTW, did you do lore on the corollax's origin or was that just the plumazotl?

I worked out a 5e version of the Corollax in TWC6, but not much lore on it. The plumazotl lore I used is an expansion of canon material from Douglas Niles. Plumazotl were created long ago by a powerful plumaweaver named Itzama Manik (no notes near me right now, I butchered the spelling) and if I recall correctly, it ticked off the gods.

quote:

Oh, and yeah, I had this whole picture of Toucan Sam blazing in my mind and was trying to find some way to make him different. Speaking of which, out of commemoration of his inspiration... I'm going to the market in a few minutes, and guess I'm buying fruit loops.

Soooo good! The multicolored milk afterward is the best part !

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I once did something like this for a campaign over the stone lands, in what is called in a couple places (including a scroll here somewhere) the Cloudlands. The kingdom included cloud and storm giants, elves, dragons, etc. all living in the clouds or on mountain peaks. The leader of the assembled people was an elven Coronal that had a sword (like the ruler's blade or Cormanthyr) with two major powers: it would allow him to shapechange into a greater pheonix and it would immolate and then reincarnate him with some unique of high magic upon his death. He would become a new person, but would retain the memories of all his previous lives.

This sounds like it would be a great place to put UK7 Dark Clouds Gather and the Ba'atun antagonists. (sorry I can't link right now).

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  13:46:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah good, I was hoping to not contradict any lore on the origin of the corollax. I figured having some kind of somewhat powerful spirit birthing them upon a goddess would work. Oh, and my mission at the store was a success. Not only did I get fruit loops, I found they have a new version with marshmallow toucans!!!!

BTW, I've included Ix Chel and Chak Chel as goddesses in Katashaka, as they're known as "jaguar goddesses", so great for tabaxi and my other cat folk (mostly Tigrans (Tiger humanoids) and Lenastans (lion humanoids)). Ix Chel also being a "sky goddess" of sorts fits in with the bird folk I'm using. However, everything I know of the two is from the internet. It seems that the two goddesses were related (Ix Chel is the mother goddess of fertility, rain, childbirth and Chak Chel appears to be the wise grandmother with knowledge of herbalism, midwifery, medicine, and venom... and I thought I'd throw in cooking/seasoning to Chak Chel as something people might do on a daily basis). However, I don't really have any kind of stories revolving around either from our world. On the off chance you know of anything I might want to look at (I have some time life books from the 80's/90's I'm going to look through). If you know of any, I'm intrigued.

BTW, on another sidenote, I think I'm going to pick up your idea of many of the jungle drow worshipping Vulkoon in Lopango. I'd like a male oriented small tribe of jungle drow that are sickened by the females who allowed orcs to dominate them and who are mad because the scheming females got them kicked out of the underdark where they had the safety of scorpion folk allies. Since I'm using most of the southern shore of Lopango that you don't detail for my tharch, I was thinking the northern shore around that one volcano you mention would work. I figured though that their goal would be to rescue those same females who are being held captive by orcs.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2020 :  06:29:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took some time today and made several aarakocra models. I colored 4 of them. Below are the links to the ones I painted in paint3d.

The 4 main types of bird folk I'm picturing in the Wakanari highlands are
Peakocra (peacock aarakocra)
Pa'ratxi (parrot aarakocra)
kocratuura (cockatoo aarakocra... very like a parrot, but with a crest and nearly always white)
Tucati (toucan aarakocra)

Pa'ratxi Ranger (aarakocra parrot) (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4165593) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Pa'ratxi Warlock (parrot aarakocra) (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4165727) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

kocratuura Cleric (cockatoo aarakocra) (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4165621) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Tucati Bard (Toucan Aarakocra) (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4165645) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

I still need to paint one of my peakocra's and I have about 7 other aarakocra models I'll be putting up but not painting a version of. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2020 :  11:38:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The druid then did warn his rulers of the other part of his dream, that should the phoenix die and be reborn, it would be no longer under his control and could spell the doom of the realm as it would .

I think this sentence needs a little more at the end.

quote:

From the other egg a great peacock of blue and green fire emerged.

This should say "peahen."

quote:

More than once has Sayaed, the fiery griffin, and Pecilla, the blazing peacock, been forced to protect the land from the depredations of foul nyama-nummo, only to die in service to its people and be reborn.

This should too.

Another thought: replace peacock / peahen with "cathlyre."

See Menzoberranzan: The City, page 41.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 16 Feb 2020 11:44:41
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2020 :  16:12:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I really need to tie these strings up and complete some of the concepts, but since I haven't actually run anything here yet, I've just been enjoying playing with it. I think my sentence was supposed to say something about potential doom I they allowed the unborn phoenix eggs to all into the hands of the nyama-nummo. Oh, and thanks for the correction.... yes, Peahen for female.. duh... and possibly Cathlyre. Is there any other reference that you know of about Cathlyre? Is there any abilities noted for them? I may be interested in having there be a third type of "odd griffin" in Katashaka. Or perhaps I should say another variant of Sphinx that has peacock traits to be in the ruling class of this city.

BTW, the race I'm calling Peakocra I may have as some kind of blessing bestowed by the rainbox goddess on some other bird folk, transforming them. Haven't gotten that far. A good story for them would need to be made. The variant sphinxes may also come about at the same time.

Just some notes for myself and anyone interested, the Wakanari Highlands is also reference in this fanciful tale of Rititisk the Clever and his giant rabbit mount Harifur
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22919&whichpage=7

In that story, it mentions the need of Harifur to be able to "move at the speed of light", and he gains power through breeding. So, it is that the goddess Ix Chel who is a light goddess tied to rainbows, allows the giant rabbit mount to mate with Ix Chel's mount ….. Ulouroo, the rainbow winged Hipparcan (Hippogriff-Toucan variant of Lurue whose horn is its rainbow beak and wings of light... and Hipparcan's are a standard variant of Hippogriff in Katashaka as are Parrogriffs)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2020 :  16:27:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I very much like this for Katashaka. Almost like a regional supplement for one small part of the greater continent. Have you considered updating the phoelarch from 3e and including them as a race?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2020 :  17:12:41  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not aware of any other reference to Cathlyres other than AJA’s NPCs, which is what reminded me of the reference.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  22:48:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I very much like this for Katashaka. Almost like a regional supplement for one small part of the greater continent. Have you considered updating the phoelarch from 3e and including them as a race?

I was looking at those due to their ties to Phoenixes (Phoenii?). I remember they had like 2 forms, one more birdlike.

Oh, and on the Wakanari Highlands, I got pretty far on the map, but then it started hosing up too much because of the number of objects I had I'm thinking. So, I have to go in and take the wonderful drawing that I took forever to make so big and chop it up... and so I am dreading that. But anyway, the Wakanari highlands I'm picturing as kind of similar to Thay in that it will have these "escarpments" with sudden rises but floating above the land all over will be earthmotes where those able to fly will live. So, birdfolk on the earthmotes, catfolk and other groundlings on the escarpments. But then there will be an area surrounding all that that I'm calling the "Wakanari Lowlands" in my head.... or basically some swampland, and in it will live some of the plant denizens such as the campestri (tiny mushroom folk), some of the Watilli flower folk, as well as possibly some waterfowl aarakocra that would fit (such as Ibideans, or crane looking aarakocra).

So, this may be a BIG part of Katashaka wherein the "not evil" people live, as opposed to a lot of the other areas which will have civilizations that are less enlightened/more savage. Basically, I'm picturing this as a place that might have some advance magic, maybe they aren't backwards technologically (i.e. maybe they can work bronze or iron or steel, or maybe they have some skill with specially treating wood or somesuch). Also, with as many races as I'm describing amongst them, there might be some internal issues, despite their want to work together. Perhaps certain groups feel superior (Peakocra are elitists I feel).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000