Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 What can you use?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2018 :  19:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't feel like the FAQ on DMSguild is clear enough on what can and cant be used from old products.

For example, I have seen products which simply update old Dragon Magazine articles, or at least borrow from them heavily. I have been tempted to do similar sorts of things (a monster here and there), but am afraid it will not be allowed.

Also, maps. I mean, the map of a region is the map of a region. If you are planning on using that region, and if you redraw it, would that be outside of their allowable usage? Can you even use the original? Does it make a difference if the product is on DMSGuild itself or not?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2018 :  00:12:24  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you have a lot of leeway as far as the prose are concerned, so long as you are updating the mechanics associated with whatever you are copying or cribbing. As for maps, that's harder. I think if you redraw it, your solid. If you copy it, it probably falls under the artwork category of needing permission, but I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2018 :  01:04:22  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. That’s actually what I thought, but was unsure. I’m going to be updating the beljuril dragon for use in one of my projects and I was comfortable with that - but I also need a map of the Valley of Nexal and just have no idea where to start. I guess I’ll have to commission someone.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000