Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Evil dragons redeemed?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hymer
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  19:23:32  Show Profile Send hymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can anyone think of cases, where an evil dragon has changed alignment to something non-evil in official (or even less official) Realms lore?
I'd be interested in studying such a case.

Thanks in advance!

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  19:38:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well maybe not changed but the red Dragon garnet had a good alignment due to magical influence during his incubation.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  20:24:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first book to bear the name Draconomicon (a 2E softcover book, product FOR1), listed a red dragon who called himself Lux; he was CN with good tendencies.

SJR2 Realmspace, a Spelljammer supplement, lists a red dragon named Firebrand Flametongue. His alignment isn't given, but he made a deal with Elminster, who sent him to the planet Coliar, so that he could live in peace. The dragon has since become friends of a sort, with Elminster. So I'd say he's at least some format of neutral.

I checked the spreadsheet from the Dragons of Faerūn web supplement, but it unfortunately did not list alignments.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 May 2018 20:28:08
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  20:26:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evil people can have friends, its just that they are not very loyal when pressed

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  20:28:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Evil people can have friends, its just that they are not very loyal when pressed

Yeah, but evil people generally don't look to get away from everyone else and live in peace.

Go to Top of Page

hymer
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2018 :  07:47:20  Show Profile Send hymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to both of you! Those are all interesting cases.
The dragons seem to have been born with a difference (or at least exhibited ones part of their character), which affected their alignments. I wonder if there are any cases where a dragon that grew up evil was later changed? I suppose not.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2018 :  13:21:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hymer

The dragons seem to have been born with a difference (or at least exhibited ones part of their character), which affected their alignments. I wonder if there are any cases where a dragon that grew up evil was later changed? I suppose not.

Sure there are... the ones that had a helm of opposite alignment put on their head.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2018 :  13:24:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I think about it I vaguely recall a green Dragon in the moonshaes that may have changed alignment. Caesin I think his name is shortened to

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2018 :  16:56:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hymer

One of those two was said to have some copper dragon blood in him, but the other was not. So that would be a case of evil seeking a change.

Go to Top of Page

hymer
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2018 :  16:59:50  Show Profile Send hymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ sleyvas: Any examples?

@ dazzlerdal: A very interesting case, thanks! 'Caesin' turned out to be the name he took for his elven identity.
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2018 :  17:18:35  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want a crossbreed going from evil to good, use a half dragon template on a dragon! Saw the idea on a Wizards of the Coast article, where it was suggested using the (then 3.5) template to make a cross between two types.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2018 :  13:17:55  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see why a chromatic dragon couldn't become "good-aligned". It's not common for it to happen, but I'm sure it can happen.

After all, we're talking about the FR, which has a signature Mary Sue NPC that is a "goody-two-shoes" Drow. This is also the same FR that has a legendary Frost Giant (Harshnag) that happens to be Chaotic Good.

Exceptions happen all the time.

In my (current) 5th Edition campaign…. one of my starter scenarios for new players is that they may run into Bork the Bridge Ogre. Bork is huge big, fat and smelly. He carries a very big deadly spiked club. He guards a stone bridge that crosses the Delimbyr River. When the newbie Players encounter him, Bork bluntly demands one silver piece (per person) if they wish to cross the bridge. He will physically block or fight them if they try to cross without paying. If the PCs pay him the fee, he will gladly step aside and allow them to cross and be on their way.

And then the stupid Players may end up killing Bork simply because of preconceptions that Ogres are all evil and all of them need to be killed. After killing him, they will find his stash under the Bridge. Bork has a small chest of silver pieces. And written on the chest is "For Da Orfans". Bork also has several tools under the bridge, which he uses to constantly repair and maintain the crumbling bridge, so that it remains usable for years to come.

Soon enough, rumors and whispers abound in the region that some evil thugs have murdered the beloved Bork the Bridge Guard. Approximately 1 mile from the bridge crossing is an Orphanage, it is run by monks of Ilmater, who tend to a couple dozen poor/injured/displaced young orphans. Bork has been donating all his money to this orphanage for a couple years, and the kids consider Bork as their local hero, their defender, their champion. And then suddenly, some "Adventurers" have now murdered their champion Bork. If the locals find out who killed their local hero, they will be very upset with these Characters.

Bork is Neutral/Neutral, with good tendencies.

Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2018 :  18:00:47  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The first book to bear the name Draconomicon (a 2E softcover book, product FOR1), listed a red dragon who called himself Lux; he was CN with good tendencies.

Also, one of the adventures (The Millenium Dragon) in that book features a chromatic dragon with a non-standard alignment: Maldraedior, the last follower of Kalzareinad is Neutral with Evil Tendencies. The whole section about Rogues on page 42 discusses dragons who change alignment.

I'd thought the black dragon in Invitation to a Robbery had also changed alignment, but it looks like he is still CE.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2018 :  01:31:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Zz'Pzora was a Deep Dragon, and they are usually chaotic evil, but she wasn't very evil. She was also a mutant, so that could be the reason.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000