Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Realities of Dwarven Living
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2018 :  01:30:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, it's all about what's sexy. Drow have gotten a lot of coverage -- way too much, in my opinion -- so we know about their food sources and such.

Me, I think that dwarves and other races would do pretty much the same thing. If it works for one race, it'll work for another.

We just don't know about it, because we've not had 326.7 novels and 106 sourcebooks devoted to dwarves and dwarven characters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2018 :  01:45:24  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Again, it's all about what's sexy. Drow have gotten a lot of coverage -- way too much, in my opinion -- so we know about their food sources and such.

Me, I think that dwarves and other races would do pretty much the same thing. If it works for one race, it'll work for another.

We just don't know about it, because we've not had 326.7 novels and 106 sourcebooks devoted to dwarves and dwarven characters.

True. I also think that just as the drow are distinct for molding their environment with magic, the dwarves should be portray distinctly for using their great knowledge of engineering and limited space to achieve wondrous feats of efficiency.

I am just struggling to bring that to life in my game.

I want dwarves to feel special and distinct from other races.

Because really, everything can be explained with "trade" for any race.

I try to go a few steps more.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2018 :  13:02:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

Thanks for all the thoughts. I'm not trying to be difficult.

I do not like hand waving and I try extremely hard to detail every part of my groups world, no matter how seemingly anal or inane the detail seems to be.

Thanks for your patience!

I can understand that. The more detail, the more real it seems. Plus you can come up with something that really sets the dwarves apart from what humans do. Say, rows of large, wedge-shaped rocks that has a fast-growing and tasty (as far as dwarves think it is) moss. It grows fast enough that they can harvest twice a summer and it can be ground up to produce flower for bread. It can even be used to make a satisfying dwarven ale.

mmm very nice! Who doesn't love a good moss bread every now and then?

I do enjoy the Purple Mushroom wine that we picked up in Waterdeep.

We know it was crafted by dwarves. We don't know what sub race or mushrooms.

I've always asserted in my world that the dwarves rely greatly on mushrooms. To eat whole, dried, ground up as flour, to ferment and to feed any animals.

I have just noticed that for drow, the entire ecology seems to be very fleshed out. Though much is just "trade" reliance.

The entire ecology seems to be much less fleshed out for the other stationary underground races.

I keep thinking of the mountain dwarves from Dragonlance, and their outdoor grain fields.

I just haven't seen anything similar detailed or discussed in FR.

I think there is a huge need for that lore. (Did I mention I'm a dungeon ecology freak?)

:)

Same with gnomes. Woefully undetailed IMO.

You know, I never really thought about it much, but the dark elves rarely come to the surface (though they do so for raids periodically, but its not like all the time). I wonder how many goblinoid races actually venture into the upperdark expressely for the purpose of trading with races like drow and duergar to provide them with some basic commodities that are grown on the surface. I can see both subterranean races liking having things like grains, sugars, and spices from the surface, as well as things like simple meats, even if its from creatures like rabbits, squirrels, rats, chickens, geese, turkeys, etc... Such creatures may not be able to survive in the underdark, but they could be transported and "harvested" back in their hometown.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2018 :  19:07:12  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"And tonight my friends, an extra special main course that I have been told the surface dwellers call "Roadkill Surprise". Enjoy!"

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2018 :  16:23:05  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We got in Norway something we call "Saeter", I think the English word is Shieling, a mountainside meadow used as seasonal pasture for animals. But; It is equally used to make Hay; the haymaking shieling was quite important.
Making fodder for animals indoors is often done historically, harvesting the fen and bog grass, mountainous terrain as the Icewind Dale should work nicely.
On D&D... I suspect it is simpler to grow fungi on the wastes from a underground settlement, and use it as animal fodder, than to bring all in from the surface. Lots of animals is quite fond of eating mushrooms, especially Sheep and Caribou.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2018 :  18:14:05  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

True. I also think that just as the drow are distinct for molding their environment with magic, the dwarves should be portray distinctly for using their great knowledge of engineering and limited space to achieve wondrous feats of efficiency.

Ice Crown Entertainment came out with a Moria supplement years ago that has alot of interesting info on the dwarves of Moria. Lots of good information in it. One example is they can smelt such pure metal that they have a gold coin referred to as High Gold, that is worth 2 gp in comparison to other nations. Lots of things about engineering too. :)
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2018 :  22:56:08  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

quote:

quote:

Ice Crown Entertainment came out with a Moria supplement years ago that has alot of interesting info on the dwarves of Moria. Lots of good information in it. One example is they can smelt such pure metal that they have a gold coin referred to as High Gold, that is worth 2 gp in comparison to other nations. Lots of things about engineering too. :)

Thanks! Any place where it can still be found?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000