Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tome of Foes FR Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2018 :  11:44:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay, good sense is prevailing at last. God's are not characters, they are nom entities as far as a game is concerned and since FR is no longer a novel setting they are no longer the main drivers of the epic, uber, pawnage, awesome godfest tapestry that has been weaved for some time.
Let's get back to weaving an interesting people focused, intrigue laden tapestry that Ed originally envisaged.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2018 :  14:51:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Also Zandilar is now Chaotic Neutral, not Chaotic Good, and the Goddess of Lust, Romance, and Dance, no mention of all cats, although Moonbow's "Province" does not mention the moon, even though her blurb mentions being a Goddess of the moon. Odd. Also most of the Seldarine and Dark Seldarine were Primal Elves uplifted to Godhood by Corellon Larethian himself, for being extraordinary at something. And it's the Primal Elves who were born from Corellon's blood, with Moonbow being born from the first drop.

Zandilar is even said to have been one of those Primal Elves born of Corellon's blood and uplifted to Godhood.

Weirdly it's even suggested Ghuandar was one of the Primal Elf Gods who sided with Lolth, but who betrayed her Corellon in the hopes of being allowed to return, getting turned into a boneless jelly for his troubles, and yet he is also the Alien Older then Ancient Elder Evil that we know and love at the same time. Perhaps a cosmic union of Slime Gods created the current Ghuanadar and why he's worshipped by Aberrants and oozes on one hand and Drow and Great Old One Warlocks on the other.

One weird thing is Vulkoor is now allowed in FR, I can see Greyhawk deities they are already apart of the Seldarine and Dark Seldarine, but Vulkoor is all the way in Eberron and his link to the Dark Seldarine is weak.

Still I blame the sudden surge in Elven Gods and possibly other beings like the Raven Queen, and Deities of other Pantheons, on Evermeet, which is a bridge between different Material Plane Worlds, Feywild, and Arvandor, to Toril. I mean the immigrant Elves likely brought the worship of many of the new Seldarine and Dark Seldarine Gods, as well as stoways and Elf friends bringing the Worship of other deities as well.

On Vulkoor, there was a link established from Toril to Eberron I think during 4e for the video game.

On Felidae and Zandilar... just to note, both may have been "fey" deities. Zandilar is a "Yuir" deity. Felidae is most likely the same deity of Mystara who had ties to cat folk there, but who was oddly a elven deity with ties to the sea.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2018 :  16:36:36  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think DDO is canon, seeing as how a bunch of murderhobos invaded the Demonweb Pits and beat up Lolth for loot.

Edited by - LordofBones on 22 May 2018 16:36:52
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2018 :  16:39:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I don't think DDO is canon, seeing as how a bunch of murderhobos invaded the Demonweb Pits and beat up Lolth for loot.

In FR, a bunch of murder-hobos beat her up with the help of a half-dead Mystra when she was trying her Demonweave BS.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2018 :  20:32:05  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the book out, or is this the special early release?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 22 May 2018 20:37:54
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  01:00:14  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Whoever writes up gods really needs to look at SKR's deity articles from Dragon as well as Pathfinder's writeups. I want myths of the clergy, unique deity-themed spells, heralds, servants, duties of the clergy, sayings of the clergy, festivals, holy vestments, teachings of the clergy and so on.

That would require a higher page count or dedicated book to it and that is not how 5e does things sadly. Very slow release schedule plus stingy with page count make that level of detail unlikely in a 5e book. Thankful at least some of that info is in pre 5e books and still mostly valid.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  01:24:01  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

sooo um is zandilar is back???

Yes, She is listed as Chaotic Neutral Goddess of Romance, Lust, Dance. Her holy symbol is still a lips.

We learn a couple of things about her although she isn't detailed.

1. She was a Primal Elf originally, not born a God.

2. Corellon decided to raise some of the most exceptional Primal Elves born from the drops of his blood as Gods. Zandilar and most of the rest of the Seldarine and Dark Seldarine were these Gods or at least the survivors.

3. Zandilar and the other Seldarine Members got to stay in Arvandor because unlike the other Primal Elves the current members of the Seldarine stayed Loyal to Corellon completely, and did not briefly side with Lolth.

4. The rest of the elves got kicked out, with the kicked out members of the Seldarine forming the Dark Seldarine.

5. Zandilar is not mentioned as being Selvetarm's mom.

6. Zandilar and a Elf God of Revelry and Mirth are worshipped upon an Elf becoming an adult.

7. I think the Elf Gods who remained loyal to Corellon got somekind of power boost reward.

8. Corellon is the one who named all the Primal Elves who became gods including Zandilar, with special names and that act is what imbuned them with divinity.

How any of that fits with the previous lore, I have no freaking idea.

Honestly I think previously Zandilar was a human goddess apart of a human, most likely Nar pantheon, who when her Yuirwood Pantheon got absorbed by the Seldarine when the local elves and half elves began worshipping the Yuirwood Gods, and so Zandilar took on Elf features and got adopted into the Seldarine as a side effect of the Hostile take over.

I guess instead she was always an Elf Goddess, but the early humans of the Yuirwood adapted her as their own, and when the Elves took over, they assumed the humans worshipped the Seldarine because of the presence of an Elf Goddess, and so just absorbed the humans beliefs into their own.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  01:29:13  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Also Zandilar is now Chaotic Neutral, not Chaotic Good, and the Goddess of Lust, Romance, and Dance, no mention of all cats, although Moonbow's "Province" does not mention the moon, even though her blurb mentions being a Goddess of the moon. Odd. Also most of the Seldarine and Dark Seldarine were Primal Elves uplifted to Godhood by Corellon Larethian himself, for being extraordinary at something. And it's the Primal Elves who were born from Corellon's blood, with Moonbow being born from the first drop.

Zandilar is even said to have been one of those Primal Elves born of Corellon's blood and uplifted to Godhood.

Weirdly it's even suggested Ghuandar was one of the Primal Elf Gods who sided with Lolth, but who betrayed her Corellon in the hopes of being allowed to return, getting turned into a boneless jelly for his troubles, and yet he is also the Alien Older then Ancient Elder Evil that we know and love at the same time. Perhaps a cosmic union of Slime Gods created the current Ghuanadar and why he's worshipped by Aberrants and oozes on one hand and Drow and Great Old One Warlocks on the other.

One weird thing is Vulkoor is now allowed in FR, I can see Greyhawk deities they are already apart of the Seldarine and Dark Seldarine, but Vulkoor is all the way in Eberron and his link to the Dark Seldarine is weak.

Still I blame the sudden surge in Elven Gods and possibly other beings like the Raven Queen, and Deities of other Pantheons, on Evermeet, which is a bridge between different Material Plane Worlds, Feywild, and Arvandor, to Toril. I mean the immigrant Elves likely brought the worship of many of the new Seldarine and Dark Seldarine Gods, as well as stoways and Elf friends bringing the Worship of other deities as well.

On Vulkoor, there was a link established from Toril to Eberron I think during 4e for the video game.

On Felidae and Zandilar... just to note, both may have been "fey" deities. Zandilar is a "Yuir" deity. Felidae is most likely the same deity of Mystara who had ties to cat folk there, but who was oddly a elven deity with ties to the sea.

MTOFs gives us Zandilar's ancient origins, she is one of the Primal Elves that sprang from his drops of blood. He made her a God I guess for her exceptional lust and dancing ability and he gave her the name Zandilar.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  01:31:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

4. The rest of the elves got kicked out, with the kicked out members of the Seldarine forming the Dark Seldarine.

Eilistraee still has her own volountary exile, if I read it correctly.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 May 2018 01:40:50
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  01:32:02  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Its out at certain stores and D&D beyond.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  01:35:46  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the addition of Keptolo to the Pantheon, he really turns the usual ideas about a Beauty/love/lust type deity on its head.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  01:41:01  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Honestly I think its simply a buy product of the Sundering, it made it easier for deities to spread, Enlil is an example of how a God could get into realm space during that time. There were tons of Chosen of Countless gods and it took only one worshipper to allow a God to enter the Realms. Seriously Enlil started with one Dragonborn, he was weak, but it was a start.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  11:36:15  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
(...) focusing on the cleric class, religion, worship, prayers, ceremonial garb et. al. and all the religious paraphernalia that goes with it, (...)

-- George Krashos

This is the reason why I love the 2e Faiths and Avatars series. Although they do have avatar stats, this church organization and dogma stuff is awesome! I even think that, given space, there should be different lines of thinking inside one religion.

As for deities being powerful characters, well, it depends on the gods' relations with mortals, and the specificity of the pantheon. 2e Legends and Lore explains it brilliantly, when it mentions the reason for the difference in power between gods of different pantheons, saying that Egyptian gods were powerful and aloof, while Greeks, for example, dealt more closely with mortals and had more flaws. It all influenced their deities' stats and relation with priests.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  12:48:43  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Its out at certain stores and D&D beyond.

I see, thanks!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  13:12:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
(...) focusing on the cleric class, religion, worship, prayers, ceremonial garb et. al. and all the religious paraphernalia that goes with it, (...)

-- George Krashos

This is the reason why I love the 2e Faiths and Avatars series. Although they do have avatar stats, this church organization and dogma stuff is awesome! I even think that, given space, there should be different lines of thinking inside one religion.

As for deities being powerful characters, well, it depends on the gods' relations with mortals, and the specificity of the pantheon. 2e Legends and Lore explains it brilliantly, when it mentions the reason for the difference in power between gods of different pantheons, saying that Egyptian gods were powerful and aloof, while Greeks, for example, dealt more closely with mortals and had more flaws. It all influenced their deities' stats and relation with priests.

At the same time though, one of the things that some might say would be that they already released this material in F&A, P&P, DD. I wouldn't be one of them, as I'd love to see another series like this, but updated to 5e. However, IF they did release such a book, I'd like to see it not have stats for the gods, and introduce more lore on the LORE of the gods AND more info on the major temples, sects, etc... and where they're located.. heretical beliefs, etc... Now, I don't see this product actually happening, but it is a nice dream.

One thing I'd love to see someone sit down and do as well would be something tracking the various pantheons and merging of said pantheons and arrival/deaths of various deities... but in a somewhat general fashion (i.e. note a deity's arrival by the century and not the year). I'd love to see this done as an unofficial thing first, then allow people to make notes and adjust (yes, it may cause some arguments, but ultimately, I think it could be productive). For instance, where and when was Untamo worshipped in the realms? I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for those of us who love to explore history, this could be a good guidestone for who was available and where. It would need to be written in uncertain tones throughout its entirety to allow for discrepancies, but it would help with questions like "who was in the Jhaamdath pantheon? Who was worshipped down in the Shaar? Who were all the Yuir deities and did they start out as fey and get picked up by humans or the other way around? Where did Bhaelros come from and who did the 'genie folk' of Calimshan worship (we have some names from Star of Cursrah)? Who were the ancient gods of the hordelands? Zakhara? Kara-Tur? Utter East? Aearee gods? Did Batrachi worship demons and primordials?"

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  14:22:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

I get that... But I define them as characters because, as I said, they've got personalities and motives and their actions and decisions can drive the story forward.

Even if they stay entirely offscreen, their mortal worshipers are going to be doing things to advance the causes of their deity -- even if they don't have a clue what the deity really wants. You're going to have priests and such trying to help or hinder people, whether it's a single lay worshiper feeding a homeless person or a powerful church urging the king to go to war with the unbelievers in another nation.

If a setting has deities, it doesn't matter how active or aloof they are -- those deities are a part of the setting and they influence events in the setting.

Since deities are a part of the setting and have influence on it, it is not unreasonable to discuss them. And since deities will be influenced by their own history, this, too, is a reasonable thing to discuss.

Now, all that said, information about the priesthood and rites and attire and all that will be more useful to a player... But it doesn't change the fact that info about the deities itself will be of interest and potential plot elements for DMs.

So yes, I want info on the deities -- but I also want the info on the priests and all that. I want all of the info I can get!

My entire issue with what's been discussed here is that the history of a lot of these deities is already well-established -- and rather than summarize that and move on to the player-useful stuff, they chose to once more retcon everything, disregard prior material, and then further dilute the setting by taking elements unique to one world and spreading them around.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  15:00:09  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Balmar Foghaven

Evermeet always felt like Tolkien's "undying lands" to me (probably because it was the source of inspiration for it), and now it does more so than ever. I guess it won't be long before Legolas sails to the shores of the Sword Coast from the west. :P

Oh ye gods, don't encourage the unoriginal folks any more! I still shudder at the time I encountered "Frohdoh" and "Legolass" while playing Lord of the Rings Online.

Frohdoh and Legolass sound like the names of people whose favorite things are Play-doh and Lego. "Legolass? Aye, be that not the wee lassie who leaves her durned Legos lyin' around all the time?"

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2018 :  03:03:13  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Wooly here.

I like when they detail stuff like the nature of the gods, and the cosmogony of the world. But when they already have done it, it's kinda boring. And I also like consistency. If they are going to update something, they should have at least use the former information about it as a foundation. Not change it already. Then again, the direction they are taking with 5e is treating all worlds as part of the same multiverse, and some stuff from older editions is incompatible with that.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2018 :  03:13:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoying the Blood War chapter.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2018 :  06:50:06  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that chapter is good. They retconned some stuff (Zariel, I'm looking at you), and Glasya remained from 4e,but I really liked that chapter.

I'm bored with the dwarves lore though...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2018 :  19:44:24  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Honestly I think previously Zandilar was a human goddess apart of a human, most likely Nar pantheon, who when her Yuirwood Pantheon got absorbed by the Seldarine when the local elves and half elves began worshipping the Yuirwood Gods, and so Zandilar took on Elf features and got adopted into the Seldarine as a side effect of the Hostile take over.

I guess instead she was always an Elf Goddess, but the early humans of the Yuirwood adapted her as their own, and when the Elves took over, they assumed the humans worshipped the Seldarine because of the presence of an Elf Goddess, and so just absorbed the humans beliefs into their own.

-Just going strictly by dates and such, the way the Yuir Totems were always described, it felt like the former: was a human deity of the proto-Nars, then the Elves came to the area and absorbed them into their culture.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alefian
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  16:30:44  Show Profile Send Alefian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm particularly bummed that leShay were not referenced in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes given the fact that there are leShay who live in Sarifal. Most notably, High Lady Ordalf. ToF, however, doesn't dig too deep lore wise for individual worlds. I wish they would have dug deeper, but I understand WoTC had a lot of content to cover for the book.

I know Brian R. James stated before on these forums that leShay were one of the creator races; however, that has never been stated (to my knowledge) in official rulebooks. That is the case in my homebrew game, and I really like his work on Grand History of the Realms, so I consider him a strong authority on Realms history and lore <3.

To be fair, leShay haven't been officially referenced since the Epic Level Handbook. High Lady Ordalf was mentioned in Dragon 376, and while she was mentioned in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide for 5E, her race wasn't even mentioned, which I also found disappointing. At least they could have referenced her as a Noble Eladrin.

The closest identifier I can come up for leShay in 5E are that they are primal elves or noble eladrin (or both).

Perhaps if wizards introduces epic level content in 5E, we may see a return of the leShay.

- Alefian

Edited by - Alefian on 25 May 2018 16:37:04
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  16:45:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-Just going strictly by dates and such, the way the Yuir Totems were always described, it felt like the former: was a human deity of the proto-Nars, then the Elves came to the area and absorbed them into their culture.

The Yuirwood was settled by elves in -9800 DR. There's nothing to truly indicate that there were a large number of humans in said area at the time. In fact, the humans that come to settle the peninsula that becomes Aglarond come much later. Now, there may have been other races in the area (for instance centaurs, hybsil, Lythari, treants, faeries, gnolls, or Quaggoths before they descended to the underdark, etc....), but I think its our humanocentric mind that thinks that the area first contained humans before the elves. In truth, I think the reverse may be more true... elves came in, claimed the area from the indigenous races (possibly even these Yuir elves pushed the Quaggoths into the underdark and/or pushed the gnolls and centaurs towards Thay)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  17:32:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True story: I've never really known what the LeShay were, in part because I simply hate that name.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  18:46:17  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, LeShay were retconned to be eladrin in 4e, and 5e eladrin are even more mystical and fit the LeShay concept even better than their 4e counterparts. I guess, LeShay don't will be used in canon anymore.

Go to Top of Page

Alefian
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  19:40:57  Show Profile Send Alefian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

IIRC, LeShay were retconned to be eladrin in 4e, and 5e eladrin are even more mystical and fit the LeShay concept even better than their 4e counterparts. I guess, LeShay don't will be used in canon anymore.

I really dig the design of Eladrin in 5e. The ability for them to change seasons to flavor their misty step ability is a nice touch.
Go to Top of Page

Alefian
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  19:42:32  Show Profile Send Alefian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

True story: I've never really known what the LeShay were, in part because I simply hate that name.

lol. To be fair, there is only one official source about them and a novel. "Eladrin" sounds more fey like to me, so I can understand why you feel that way.
Go to Top of Page

Ephiron
Acolyte

Czech Republic
9 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  19:53:27  Show Profile  Visit Ephiron's Homepage Send Ephiron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alefian
I really dig the design of Eladrin in 5e. The ability for them to change seasons to flavor their misty step ability is a nice touch.

Am I the only one who prefers the original celestial eladrin from 3e? The elves being called eladrin was probably what I hated the most about 4e.
Go to Top of Page

Alefian
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  21:02:08  Show Profile Send Alefian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Am I the only one who prefers the original celestial eladrin from 3e? The elves being called eladrin was probably what I hated the most about 4e.

While I dig the design, it sometimes bugs me that Eladrin are elves. I prefer that they just be fey because I prefer to think of leShay as fey and not elves as well.

With that being said, I once pinged Bruce Cordell about the Gate of Firestorm Peak and the reference to "Elder Elves" in that module... I asked him if the leShay were inspired by the elves in that adventure. He said the leShay were very much a callback to Gates.

So there you go, if we amalgamate all the terms together for these beings beginning with 2e... Elder Elves = leShay = Eladrin = Noble Eladrin = Primal Elves.

Edited by - Alefian on 25 May 2018 21:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2018 :  23:47:39  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George Krashos: I think you are right. If you stat something out as a monster, it IS a monster.

Regarding elves and transcendence: what's that? Some new lore from Tome of Foes?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000