Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Kara-Tur Lore Sources
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auppenser
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2018 :  01:54:50  Show Profile Send Auppenser a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A question -

I'm working on a story that heavily involves Kara-Tur and the Hordelands (particularly Semphar and the Silk Road). I've purchased and read the Kara-Tur and The Horde sourcebooks, but I'm looking for the additional lore that exists.

I'm specifically interested in the years prior to the Spellplague (1359-1385), though I know there's little in the way of material in 3rd edition.

Can any of you think of sources where Kara-Tur and the Hordelands may not be the focus of the material, but where interesting nuggets of information may be found, that might not be immediately obvious?

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2018 :  02:25:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-There's a lot. The problem with Kara-Tur is that there's stuff scattered all over (and even in the Kara-Tur sourcebooks themselves, you'll find information scattered all over, with information about one thing hidden in a chapter about something else). I'm probably missing a few (like short stories; I know there are a few), but:

Oriental Adventures (Sourcebook)
Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms (Sourcebook)
The Horde (Sourcebook)
The Grand History of the Realms (Sourcebook)
Swords of the Daimyo (Adventure)
Night of the Seven Swords (Adventure)
Ochimo: The Spirit Warrior (Adventure)
Blood of the Yakuza (Adventure)
Mad Monkey vs Dragon Claw (Adventure)
Ronin Challenge (Adventure)
Test of the Samurai (Adventure)
Ninja Wars (Adventure)
Black Courser (Adventure)
Storm Riders (Adventure)
Blood Charge (Adventure)
Horselords (Novel)
Dragonwall (Novel)
Crusade (Novel)

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 11 May 2018 02:26:37
Go to Top of Page

Auppenser
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2018 :  02:45:12  Show Profile Send Auppenser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thank you, this gives me a start!
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2018 :  03:42:52  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For more novels, The Veiled Dragon and The Yellow Silk have Kara-Turan and Hordelands characters, as does "Beer with a Fat Dragon" in Realms of the Dragons. Faces of Deception is set down in the Utter East, but has some characters who seem to be from Kara-Tur.

Forgotten Realms sourcebooks sometimes make small references to Kara-Tur, but they're too many and too small to list. The Grand History of the Realms integrates and adds to the histories of some KT lands, so it's the most KT-heavy book.

Unusually, Hall of Heroes details a few Kara-Turan characters, apparently for a novel set in Kozakura that was never written.

In the old DC Comics' Forgotten Realms comics, the samurari Ishi Barasume is a main character, so the series sometimes brings up stuff about Kozakura.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ishi_Barasume
(I'm afraid that's a bit of a stub article.)

We've got some random things developed on the Forgotten Realms Wiki, mainly the land of Koryo, the major religions, a few of the northern tribes, languages, foods, a few items, the spelljammers, and a bunch of stubby articles for the rest.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Koryo

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

Bragi
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2018 :  07:29:52  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of it has been covered, here's a few more that I don't see mentioned.

I3-5 Desert of Desolation (has a good 1 page history of the area around Semphar)
Kara-Tur Trail Map
1 on 1 Adventure Gamebook: Warlords
Realmspace (just a few paragraphs on Kara-Tur spelljammers)

Technically all of the Living Jungle is set in Kara-Tur but I would consider it a separate setting.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2018 :  15:07:45  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also Islands of Terror and Domains of Dread for the Ravenloft setting, both of which talk about the Realm of I'Cath that was taken into the Demiplane of Dread, and the novel Once Around the Realms, which visits Kara-Tur for a few pages.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2018 :  14:48:49  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Auppenser,

You can also look at the following:
  • “Ecology of the Hengeyokai”, Dragon #404
  • Backdrop: Xiousing, Dungeon #195
  • 2nd Edition Monstrous Compendium: Kara-turn Appendix
  • The Five Deadly Shadows, Dungeon #195

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Auppenser

A question -

I'm working on a story that heavily involves Kara-Tur and the Hordelands (particularly Semphar and the Silk Road). I've purchased and read the Kara-Tur and The Horde sourcebooks, but I'm looking for the additional lore that exists.

I'm specifically interested in the years prior to the Spellplague (1359-1385), though I know there's little in the way of material in 3rd edition.

Can any of you think of sources where Kara-Tur and the Hordelands may not be the focus of the material, but where interesting nuggets of information may be found, that might not be immediately obvious?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000