Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Akhrasut Neth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bragi
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2018 :  08:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm trying to determine location of Akhrasut Neth as described primarily in Frostfell. All I can tell from the novel is that the location is due south of Winterkeep. I'm guessing that it is somewhere in the foothills of the Glittering Spires. It really is unfortunate that many of the novels do not have accompanying maps.

I noticed that the description of the Pleasant Valley Gateway Oasis from the Horde boxed set speaks of a race of elves residing in the valley. While the description given is unlikely to be the Lythari, as it speaks of the elves being from Sossal and only having lived there several decades, I'm still left wondering if Marc Sehsestedt has this location in mind for the Lythari in his novels. He mentions all of the surrounding geography but there is no mention of the Pleasant Valley Gateway Oasis. None that I could find anyway.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2018 :  06:45:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really the only choice. Maps around Winterkeep have a vast open area with the Glittering Spires the only peaks within hundreds of miles.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2018 :  20:30:34  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Bradi,

I believe I have a solid idea as to where the Akhrasut Neth is at, and I believe that location is in the southeastern region of the Icerim Mountains, in the northwestern region of the Khassadi Tribe lands. I'll explain my justification for this below, which is mostly taken from the novel Frostfell, but as well from The Hordelands Box Set. Additionally, I utilized the FRIA (Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas) for getting distance measurements. I read Frostfell last night before I got to this analysis so that I could try and ascertain this answer for you.
To begin with, I need to establish some geographic parameters so that we're on the same page. All of the location references are taken directly from Frostfell. The book begins with an acknowledgement of being,
quote:
The woods north of the Lake of Mists in the lands of the Khassidi Dim dusklight bled from the boughs, and Amira ran through a cloud. (Chapter 1)

This is important to establish, as this is where Amira and Gyaidun depart as they head "due north." (Chapter 8)
These quotes as well establish that they were at an unmarked island on any known maps of the Endless Wastelands, near the north shore of the Lake of the Mists, when they began their journey, "due north." (Chapter 8)
quote:
Someone was coming through the lake and moving fast. The belkagen went stone-still, listened, then relaxed. I thought you said we were on an island, said Amira. Arzhan Island, said the belkagen. I often winter here, but we're only a few dozen paces from the north shore, and the water is no more than waist deep. (Chapter 4)

quote:
Arzhan Island, the Lake of Mists in the lands of the Khassidi (chapter 6)

At the beginning of they journey, when they were heading "due north" (Chapter 8), it was acknowledged that they were running for the day with a few breaks to jog along the route. D&D 3.5 rules state that a x3 Run attains 900 ft. a minute, or 10 miles an hour. The distance from the north shore of the Lake of Mists is 403 miles. At the pace given for a run without horses, it would take 5 days to get to the Icerim mountains. However, after the first day, then resting, and encountering the bandits the early next morning, and dispatching them, they attained horses. It is reasonable to assume that after the first day of travel at a run with their own two legs, they traversed 80 miles, leaving 323 miles to the hills of the Icerim mountains. At a hustle, a light riding horse can travel 11.36 mph, or 88 miles a day (having rounded down). That would mean the remaining time would be 3.67 days to arrive to the hills of the Icerim Mountains.
quote:
Then why did we just spend an entire day running across the steppe, if you could have just… just 'blinked' us here or whatever it is you do?(Chapter 8)

quote:
After midday, after running across the open steppe with only brief periods of jogging for rest, Amira began to hate Gyaidun.

"As I said, it was a small hope. A foolish one perhaps, but I knew that no common bandits would head due north this time of year. And we've followed them north all day." (Chapter 8) Confirmation of heading due north from the forest.
The quote below indicates that Amira felt it reasonable to speak out in Khassidi, since they were heading "due north", which is no where even close to Winter Keep. They were heading directly into the Khassidi tribal region, and Amira knew that, hence calling out. The conversation regarding whether they were Commani or not was after the bandits proclaimed that they, nor Amira, were Khassidi, and she felt that they were possibly Commani. This is likely since the Khassidi and Commani were tribal allies (please reference the "Tribal Alliance Chart" from The Hordelands Boxset), and thus it would be reasonable to see allied tribes crossing into one another's territory. Additionally, referencing page 5 of Book 1, you will take note that the Khassidi territory is directly where they are heading, and goes right up to the Icerim mountains.
quote:
We are not Khassidi. Amira sifted his words, his accent. The slight roll in his r's and his broad vowels gave him away as a southerner. Commani, perhaps? Maybe raiding into Khassidi territory, if they were clanless bandits.(Chapter 10)

The quote below again indicates that off to the south, they can see the lights from the Firepeaks and Lake of Mists. We know for a fact that they traveled due north, and thus, this was actually south for the Lake of Mists, and southeast to the Firepeak Mountains.
quote:
Thunder muttered far off to the south, and she saw little flickers of light. The Lake of Mists and Firepeaks gathered thunderstorms this time of year like summer caravans gathered flies. (Chapter 10) Confirmation they are heading north and away from the The Firepeak Mountains, which is south and east from Almorel.

quote:
When Lendri arrives, you won't be able to keep them. Horses can't stand the Vil Adanrath. They'll break their hobbles and run.(Chapter 14)

Additionally, there is confirmation that the horses were eaten before Lendri arrived, which he said would be three days later when he would meet them.
quote:
A scream-a high-pitched shriek of agony that set Amira's teeth on edge-broke through the trees from the direction where Gyaidun had gone. The two remaining horses pulled at their tethers, snorting and stamping, their eyes wide and white.(Chapter 14)

quote:
Lendri had promised to meet Gyaidun at the Mother's Bed in three days.(Chapter 13)

Remember that "Mother's Bed" is Akhrasut Neth:
quote:
Akhrasut Neth? asked Amira. The Mother's Bed? This hill?(Chapter 14)

The quote below refers to how "...trees thinned as the ground rose." This is clearly referring to the altitude. The higher one goes, vegetation stops growing, especially trees. We know it was a high location because the area was referred to as a "...large fang of rock breaking through the ground." Clearly the mountainous region they came to, with hills before it (see quote above from Chapter 14) were quite sharp, and thus new (newer mountains are sharper, such as the Cascades where I live).
quote:
The group walked on a bit more, and soon the trees thinned as the ground rose. In the clearing, the belkagen stopped, and by the light cast from his staff, Amira saw a large fang of rock breaking through the ground. A great fissure split the stone from the ground to half its height, forming a door into darkness.(Chapter 17)

I think this makes a pretty solid case for Akhrasut Neth being at the southeasterly reaches of the Icerim Mountains. The amount of travel needed to meet up with Lendri after three days (when they had already traveled one day from the forest north of the Lake of the Mists) accomplished by the run on the first and using horses the rest of the day, makes a compelling argument for that location.

Remember also that, I could find nothing in the novel, or the relevant material that would go to show that the distinct lack of interactions, or acknowledgement of geographical features, people/beings, or other aspects of traveling through what would have been Tuigan Land, on the way to the Glittering Spires. Furthermore, as was discussed in Dragon #349 in the article, "The Horde" by Paizo Publishing, the Glittering Spires and the Tuigan themselves, would have demonstrated either certain reference points that Amira and Gyaidun would have encountered, or creatures/beings fought/encountered. Everything seems to point to the Icerim Mountains. Though there is nothing 100% from the novel or relevant materials referenced that is irrefutable, I feel the collection of evidence here strongly lays out a sensible argument for its location.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Bragi

I'm trying to determine location of Akhrasut Neth as described primarily in Frostfell. All I can tell from the novel is that the location is due south of Winterkeep. I'm guessing that it is somewhere in the foothills of the Glittering Spires. It really is unfortunate that many of the novels do not have accompanying maps.

I noticed that the description of the Pleasant Valley Gateway Oasis from the Horde boxed set speaks of a race of elves residing in the valley. While the description given is unlikely to be the Lythari, as it speaks of the elves being from Sossal and only having lived there several decades, I'm still left wondering if Marc Sehsestedt has this location in mind for the Lythari in his novels. He mentions all of the surrounding geography but there is no mention of the Pleasant Valley Gateway Oasis. None that I could find anyway.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Bragi
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2018 :  20:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gyaidun nodded. "I've considered that. If they're headed for Winterkeep as you say, their path is some miles north of us. We came almost due east. If they continue in the direction their tracks were headed, they're headed northeast-straight to Iket Sotha if"-slight hesitation-"the belkagen was right. If you can work your magic again… you can, can't you?

- Frostfell Chapter 12

Here they are south of Winterkeep and having traveled due east.

quote:

Amira and Gyaidun made camp on the western base of the Mother's Bed in a small copse of trees through which a tiny stream flowed.

-Forstfell Chapter 14

Now they are camped at the western base of the hill.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2020 :  01:41:25  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Bragi,

I love that you got chapter 12 in there. I had most other chapters, but overlooked that one! haha

Nice find!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Bragi

quote:

Gyaidun nodded. "I've considered that. If they're headed for Winterkeep as you say, their path is some miles north of us. We came almost due east. If they continue in the direction their tracks were headed, they're headed northeast-straight to Iket Sotha if"-slight hesitation-"the belkagen was right. If you can work your magic again… you can, can't you?

- Frostfell Chapter 12

Here they are south of Winterkeep and having traveled due east.

quote:

Amira and Gyaidun made camp on the western base of the Mother's Bed in a small copse of trees through which a tiny stream flowed.

-Forstfell Chapter 14

Now they are camped at the western base of the hill.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000