Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Lost Lore of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2018 :  19:45:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So the intent of this thread will be for me to post my own homebrew locales that will appear on my maps. I was planning on putting this sort of stuff in the Candlekeep Wiki, but that seems to have never gone anywhere. If that becomes a thing, I can simply shift the stuff from here to there (that's the plan, anyway).

The Foreverot Bridge - A rather grandiose name for something so ramshackle, and obscure outside of Chessenta. This ancient wooden bridge crosses the Adder river in the Adder Swamp, and no-one has any idea who built it, or precisely when, other than mentions of it in old Untheric texts dating back at least a thousand years. The style of the bridge doesn't even match architectural styles of the time period.

The bridge itself is barely still standing - it is rotted through-and-through, and very hazardous to cross. Stories of people falling through seemingly solid portions abound in folklore (only to be carried away by the current and presumably eaten by crocodiles). Whats left of any railings it may have had have long since rotted completely away, and parts hang off and sway in what little breeze comes to the swamp. This is what is so bizarre about the structure - stories of it being in exactly this condition go all the way back to its first mention! And despite hundreds of tales of people falling through, or large sections breaking-off and floating away, the bridge looks to be in the same, almost-solid, very rotted condition each time people view it. In other words, if even half the stories were true, it should be riddled with holes and large sections should be missing... but they're not. In fact, for a few years immediately following the initial onset of the spellplague, the bridge was entirely underwater! Since the waters receded, and even since the Resundering, the bridge stands (barely), just as its always been - a hazardous method of crossing the Adder River. Very few people use it; not just because its unsafe, but its location in the swamp makes it a very dangerous to travel regardless. Since the Resundering, however, it has seen more use than it had during the Wailing Years, as traffic moves from Luthcheq to Pandrik and on to New Akanax. Still, only powerful and brave (or stupid) souls take that path, with most others preferring the longer route skirting the swamp.

The Truth: The bridge isn't really a bridge at all. It was a giant that was transformed into bridge shape over a thousand years ago by some unknown Mage (or perhaps a god, or artifact). It was, however, still technically 'alive'... until it starved to death. Either through some interaction of magics, or something about the swamp, or maybe even the last anguished thoughts of the giant itself... it became undead. And thus, the Realms gained yet another odd and unique bridge - the only 'zombie bridge' known to exist.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2018 :  03:44:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Needs more Rotting Man.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2018 :  04:48:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I immediately thought of a giant undead mimic!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2018 :  05:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bring on more! That was awesome. I like the mimic spin on it too - I believe giant mimics were called "house hunters" in a dungeon magazine somewhere.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2018 :  10:15:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would include a line that there have been attempts to repair the bridge... But that the fixes and new material always disappear within days.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  10:24:16  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I would include a line that there have been attempts to repair the bridge... But that the fixes and new material always disappear within days.

And more than a few of the repair crew too...

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  15:17:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Misereor

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And more than a few of the repair crew too...

Oooh, like that one!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000