Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Meanderings
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justdave
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2018 :  09:37:30  Show Profile Send justdave a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I find myself running a campaign (as opposed to what I thought would just be a short adventure ) in the Realms. It is, at present The Year Of The Scarlet Witch (1491 DR) and the party are in Neverwinter getting some R&R and also gathering info on what to do next (there is an overarching plot). What I would like are some suggestions about some things that I could throw at them whilst they wait for their purchases to arrive .

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2018 :  20:00:31  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are they stopping by in Neverwinter or are they invested in an adventure within the city? If the big plot involves staying in the city, then perhaps drop a clue about one of the nefarious factions that are still scheming for power in the city. Though the shadovar were a 4e addition and no longer present as a threat, there are still cells of Red Wizards and a prominent cult of Asmodeus called the Ashmadai. There's also scheming nobles, though to a lesser extent than in places like Waterdeep or Cormyr.

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2018 :  20:42:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any hints about the overall plot, so we can come up with stuff perhaps tangentially related, or that would at least fit the general theme?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

justdave
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2018 :  21:34:25  Show Profile Send justdave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well (as mentioned) it started as a single adventure, and I used White Plume Mountain. The overarching p[lot (for this season) is that an assassins guild has fooled the party into retrieving Blackrazor (one of the three artifacts in WPM). The Guild master is under the influence of Asmodeus (so, yes, I'm already thinking about the Ashmodai, even though at this point of history 1491 DR, they are pretty well disrupted). As Blackrazor's sentience comes from having an atropal scion embedded within. The power this creature has, along with the souls (good and bad) that Blackrazor has been 'drinking' over the centuries, when combined with the Ruby Staff will give Asmodeus what he needs to gain supremacy over all of the planes of hell. And then everything else.
That's the main plot, Wooly Rupert.

Balmar Foghaven, they are stopping over in Neverwinter to get supplies and a set of magical armour repaired, but I think I need to hit them with a meaty encounter to balance all the awesome roleplaying they have been doing for the last three sessions. I've put down some teasers, so it may occur naturally, but any other ideas are always welcome :)
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2018 :  22:35:33  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well here's a few things I can think of to throw at them as a large-scale encounter, some might work better for you than others - especially if your players have run any of the published adventures or are familiar with the canonical goings-on in the region at the time:

1. The obvious choice for me would be to send (depending on how high level the PCs are) a tough force of assassins and stealthy mid-to-high level devils from the guild/cult to ambush them and take the sword. Could be a real challenge if there are lots of high CR creatures, especially if they gain surprise.
2. 1491 is around the time that Tyranny of Dragons has just ended or is about to be over, so you could theoretically ambush them with a large force of cultists and a dragon or two who seek to steal valuable relics for Tiamat, in this case Blackrazor. Could be cool to throw a wrench in the cogs of both the villain and the PCs by introducing a third party.
3. Again, borrowing from already established lore, Valindra Shadowmantle might have designs on obtaining Blackrazor once she discovers the atropal's soul is stored within. Would greatly benefit Szass Tam and the Red Wizards to claim such an artifact.
4. From WPM itself, Keraptis might simply send his two efreeti servants to reclaim the stolen blade (if the players haven't dealt with those already).

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."

Edited by - Balmar Foghaven on 29 Apr 2018 22:36:42
Go to Top of Page

justdave
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2018 :  22:44:24  Show Profile Send justdave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Balmar, some excellent suggestions :)
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  16:20:24  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to be of assistance

Edited by - Balmar Foghaven on 02 May 2018 16:20:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000