Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lore about the LeShay of the Moonshae Isles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheZodz
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2018 :  21:21:43  Show Profile Send TheZodz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey everyone, new to the forum here!

I’m currently collaborating with authors on a book about the Feywild and I’ve been tasked with creating a 5e conversion of the LeShay race. I’m also writing a domain based on the Moonshae Isles. In hopes of not detracting from content already written years prior, I’d like to learn about all the lore of the LeShay and the Moonshae Isles (both Material Plane and Feywild I’d possible) from you guys.

I don’t have the time or money to purchase the books myself as much as I’d like to, so any correct lore on this side of the forgotten realms lore would be amazingly helpful!

Regards,
Zodiac O’Neill

Zodiac willoughby-O'Neill

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2018 :  00:02:22  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I have no clue where it might be accessed anymore since the old link I know of just goes to a 404 error, but 90% of the lore about Sarifal comes from one of the DRAGON magazine online issue 376, from 2009 (Jesus, it was that long ago). A tiny bit was mentioned in the Grand History of the Realms and the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, but nothing that wasn't covered in even more detail in said online article.

-There is apparently a book, The Rose of Sarifal. Never heard of it before, it came out in 2012. Never read it, but based on the description on the back of the book, it doesn't look very good to be honest. The so-so ratings on Amazon and Goodreads seem to concur.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2018 :  00:04:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'd be better off buying the books. There's only so much info that can be shared on a forum, and a lot of it would summations of published material -- which means particular details could be left out or misinterpreted quite readily.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2018 :  01:00:29  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got the PDF of the Moonshaes/Sarifal article on my computer at home. I'm not sure if its kosher to share it?

I would avoid The Rose of Sarifal; it is a terrible novel, and its 'lore' is just weird (e.g. emo Llewyrr elves with human slaves).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2018 :  03:40:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

I've got the PDF of the Moonshaes/Sarifal article on my computer at home. I'm not sure if its kosher to share it?

Unless you've express written permission to share material with WotC's copyright, all that can be shared is excerpts and quotes, and those need to be properly cited.

Go to Top of Page

TheZodz
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2018 :  08:39:58  Show Profile Send TheZodz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah drats, a PDF would be handy but in that case I’ll see if I can find an online issue of the magazine. I know the D&D Forgotten Realms wiki has some information on the LeShay but it’s only the barebones basics like stats and such. Are there any other books related to the LeShay or Moonshae Isles lore?

Zodiac willoughby-O'Neill
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2018 :  19:26:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what the status of an online article that was originally posted FOR FREE for everyone to enjoy would be - it seems to me that sharing a link to that is not at all like sharing a published book (which is out-right piracy). I notice the maps that went with the article the FRwiki freely uses.

But Wooly would know better than I.

And there is the bizarre precedent they set when they took down all their free (old) content, and are now selling it via PDF's.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2018 :  21:41:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm not sure what the status of an online article that was originally posted FOR FREE for everyone to enjoy would be - it seems to me that sharing a link to that is not at all like sharing a published book (which is out-right piracy). I notice the maps that went with the article the FRwiki freely uses.

But Wooly would know better than I.

And there is the bizarre precedent they set when they took down all their free (old) content, and are now selling it via PDF's.

Sharing a link to where it's hosted by an authorized source is fine. It's sharing the file itself, without authorization, that gets legally murky. We try to avoid that, here.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2018 :  22:22:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I am not trying to argue with you at all, this is just one of those areas of 'internet law' that confuses me.

We have articles here on this site that appeared on the WotC site. There is another site (I forget the name) that hosts tons of the old online FR articles, verbatim. We also have things like the wiki, and while they try to avoid word-for-word copying of info, do use tons of canon maps. There are also things like the Wayback Machine, and someone has a site with most of the stuff from the old WotC forums on it.

All of which, WotC/Hasbro just ignores.

I am just wondering at what point it becomes 'illegal'. I thought mainly, they only really go after people trying to make money off their stuff (directly, or indirectly). But then, doesn't ads on the wiki qualify for that? Its such a blurry line. So suppose I found a link on the Wayback Machine or elsewhere with the original article - would we be able to post THAT link here?

Just trying to clarify is all. I assume anything that was once 'sold' (even if it as given away for free for awhile) is a no-no, but if the article was free to begin with? I've also had authors send me their pre-edited versions of articles they've written for things like Dragon Magazine... how legal is that? I know I can't share it (even without signing an NDA), but they seem to think that so long as it's not the finished piece, it's still their property. There is a such a big 'gray area' where creative stuff is concerned.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Apr 2018 22:24:52
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2018 :  22:24:06  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheZodz

Are there any other books related to the LeShay or Moonshae Isles lore?

-In terms of the Moonshae Isles, there's:
The Moonshae Trilogy
The Druidhome Trilogy (basically a sequel to the Moonshae Trilogy)
Moonshae (2e sourcebook)

-In terms of leShay, it's basically just that one article. They were a 3e creation in the Epic Level Handbook, so they're relatively new in terms of D&D lore and mythos. Afterwards, the idea was kicked around that the leShay were the Forgotten Realms Fey Creator Race. That was either outright confirmed or heavily alluded to in the online DRAGON Magazine article (Realmslore: Sarifal is what it was called). I believe that in Darkvision or Stardeep- I'm 75% sure it was a Bruce Cordell novel, since he also has cover credits on the Epic Level Handbook- the leShay are depicted on ancient hieroglyphics or something to that effect, highlighting their ancient presence in the Forgotten Realms and hinting that they are the Fey Creator Race.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2018 :  22:40:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Okay, I am not trying to argue with you at all, this is just one of those areas of 'internet law' that confuses me.

We have articles here on this site that appeared on the WotC site. There is another site (I forget the name) that hosts tons of the old online FR articles, verbatim. We also have things like the wiki, and while they try to avoid word-for-word copying of info, do use tons of canon maps. There are also things like the Wayback Machine, and someone has a site with most of the stuff from the old WotC forums on it.

All of which, WotC/Hasbro just ignores.

I am just wondering at what point it becomes 'illegal'. I thought mainly, they only really go after people trying to make money off their stuff (directly, or indirectly). But then, doesn't ads on the wiki qualify for that? Its such a blurry line. So suppose I found a link on the Wayback Machine or elsewhere with the original article - would we be able to post THAT link here?

Just trying to clarify is all. I assume anything that was once 'sold' (even if it as given away for free for awhile) is a no-no, but if the article was free to begin with? I've also had authors send me their pre-edited versions of articles they've written for things like Dragon Magazine... how legal is that? I know I can't share it (even without signing an NDA), but they seem to think that so long as it's not the finished piece, it's still their property. There is a such a big 'gray area' where creative stuff is concerned.

So far as I know -- and I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV -- if something is distributed by a legal copyright holder than it's fine, anyone else has to have permission.

There's wiggle room, there, of course -- pre-submitted stuff isn't owned by WotC yet, wikis use summations and don't quote published work verbatim, etc.

The Wayback Machine is an interesting one; I'm not even going to claim to know how that one is legal. I just figure it must be, or WotC would have gone after them.

There's a lot of wiggle room in "reasonable use," but on Candlekeep, we err on the side of caution when it comes to sharing more than just a few paragraphs.

Also, I only know about US laws, and then, not a lot. Candlekeep is hosted in the UK, according to a quick lookup I just did (I was pretty sure it was; a quick online check confirmed it). I'm not up on UK copyright laws.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Apr 2018 22:41:21
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2018 :  01:20:20  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WEll now Wooly, you have just edumificated me on something. I didn't know that candlekeep was hosted in the UK

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000