Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Breast Support for Adventurers and Martial Artists
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2018 :  02:59:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good evening Sr. Scribe Wrigley,

I was elated to take note of your post regarding economics analysis in the Realms!

I am currently about 40% through my studies in a Doctorate of Applied Economics in Cluster Development. I'd absolutely love to collaborate with you if you are still interested in such material? Though there are clearly tools that are used and were developed in modern times, within the confines of systems of government and economies that are frankly anathema to what it takes to establish a cluster in the Realms, I certainly know economics. I've done some research in my undergrad as well as in my MBA program regarding high Germanic, Manorial economics of the 15th century that I feel is quite relevant to what most people conveniently use in their campaigns.

Please do message me on the site if you'd like to discuss further.

I know its been a few months, but I'm quite interested. Please feel free to message me here on the site if you're interested.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

I see adventurers more like hireswords or mercenaries if you will. They own weapons and armor, travel light and earn big money on contract and live from those money until next job. They tend to overspend enjoying their life as it could end any time they delve into some dungeon, forest, ... So they excercise mainly in real combat and only a few are wise enough to buy a trainer or practice themselves. Those are usualy the long living ones. For their hygiene I suppose they are not into it that much. They own a spare set of clothes and once they arrive into civilisation they go to local baths or order such in a tavern, pay some servant to clean their armor, boots and travel clothes. After they are clean they put on those clean clothes and go enjoy their money in town. On the road they may make a brake near some lake or river to wash themselves and their clothes - usualy person jumps in wearing those clothes and washing them on themselves.

You are actualy right that somebody owning a warhorse and plate armor should have a "sqire" who will clean, cook, help them don an armor and to get into the saddle. Usualy war horses were not used outside combat as they were too agressive and such noble man had a riding horse for traveling and pleasure rides. Also horse armor was transported separately on a cart with tent, poles, food, water, ... If he got more then one servant he needed a wagon for supplies.

We can all agree that economics of D&D is flawed and oversimplified. I have gone from bottom saying a commoner earn about 3gp per month, merchant about 30gp per month and calculated estimated prices of common goods from that. Beggining adventurers earn about 50gp per job. Easy help for me is to say that commoners pay mostly with copper and merchants with silver. Nobles and such have no upper limit on cost, usualy pay with gold and magic items (along with gems) are a form of currency for high volumes - paying 100.000gp is more convinient by sending a magic sword that wagon of gold.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2018 :  03:39:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... If the above post by cpthero2 is SPAM SPAM SPAM (of an unwholesome non-Monty-Python variety) then y'all can delete this comment along with it, lol ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2018 :  03:47:22  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good evening Great Reader Ayrik,

I apologize if I have violated the posting/etiquette rules. My intention was only to get involved in the post.

If you'd like, I will delete my reply.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

... If the above post by cpthero2 is SPAM SPAM SPAM (of an unwholesome non-Monty-Python variety) then y'all can delete this comment along with it, lol ...

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2018 :  04:38:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I apologize if I have violated the posting/etiquette rules. My intention was only to get involved in the post.

No need for you to apologize, cpthero2, I apologize for the accusation.

Your posts seemed suspicious and strange to me, I thought that if they were a spambot then there would be no response to further interactions.

Don't worry, you haven't violated any rules of conduct (and they're loosely enforced anyhow, as long as everyone remains reasonably polite), feel free to join into any conversations you like (as you already have). No need for formal etiquette, our writings tend to be very ad-hoc, we often debate or disagree on finer details as all scholarly pedants do. Welcome to Candlekeep! And each of us is encouraged to write an introduction. But, lol, this is a public forum so I wouldn't recommend posting personal information.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 21 Sep 2018 04:52:59
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2018 :  12:26:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning Sr. Scribe Ayrik,

Thank you for that! I realized I had effectively, with one or two small edits I believe, posted the same reply without thinking on it much, in another location on the site. I think your diligence keeps the place squared away. So thank you.

I appreciate the warm welcome too!

Regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:

No need for you to apologize, cpthero2, I apologize for the accusation.

Your posts seemed suspicious and strange to me, I thought that if they were a spambot then there would be no response to further interactions.

Don't worry, you haven't violated any rules of conduct (and they're loosely enforced anyhow, as long as everyone remains reasonably polite), feel free to join into any conversations you like (as you already have). No need for formal etiquette, our writings tend to be very ad-hoc, we often debate or disagree on finer details as all scholarly pedants do. Welcome to Candlekeep! And each of us is encouraged to write an introduction. But, lol, this is a public forum so I wouldn't recommend posting personal information.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

grayhoss
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2019 :  22:02:53  Show Profile Send grayhoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reportedly, embrocation (aka 'wrapping the bosom and torso in tight-as-hells cloth wrapping') both bruises and chafes like a mother. Delia Sherman called this out in her 'The Brazen Mirror' when her character Eleanore Flower disrobed after abandoning her masquerade as a man.

Edited by - grayhoss on 09 Sep 2019 22:33:53
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  00:58:32  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Aside from comfort issues with mail in direct contact with very sensitive skin,

Do you have bare concrete walls with reinforcing steel grid in plain view in your current room?
Structural materials don't need to be the same as surface materials, and thus in direct contact with anything in particular.

quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

No. 'Mail' means a fine mesh of metal wire, i.e. what Victorians erroneously called 'chainmail'.

I thought "chain" was originally about different weaving (whether sheet patterns or related techniques, e.g. adding a pre-made chain "thread").

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 10 Sep 2019 01:03:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page