Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Post Sunderig Economic Boom
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2018 :  13:57:35  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It has occurred to me that most of the Sea of Fallen Star nation should be undergoing a post Sundering boom.

I mean many of those nations are rebuilding after wars, the great rain, and other disasters, so you have post WWII like economic situation, an economy driven by massive rebuilding.

Then you have the great harvest that resulted from the great rain.

A lot of the twisted and poisoned landscape that had made a good chunk of Faerun unlivable caused by the spellplague was cured and restored to usable land and wilderness, lands such as spellplague lands and the twisted untravesialable landscapes of Mulhorand.

New land appeared, miles of it, with new forests and other environments, lands which possibly had disappeared back during the ToTs.

Many previous sea ports that had been landlocked by the spellplague where made ports again, restoring trade and prosparity to the region.

Even in other lands conditions have improved, thanks to Calimshan rebuilding from the Djinn wars and the human rebellion, rebuilding of Neverwinter, the return of order and the Hotstower to Luskan.

Lurien isn't drowned anymore, so a restored nation of Halflings is good for trade in the shining sea.

Trade with Kara Tur and Zakhara seems to have been restored, albit not to prespell levels. Trade would likely be restored with Maztica as well, in part thanks to the mass of Tabaxi immigrants appearing in Toril.

Merchants ships from Evermeet, Lantan, Nimbrul, Halruaa are appearing in various cities again.

So is it me or does it seem like there would be a massive level of opportunity and economic boom in FR?

Edited by - Gyor on 05 Apr 2018 14:16:19

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2018 :  14:45:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would expect that 100 years of submersion under salt water would take more than a few years for Luiren to recover from... Unless there was some sort of magical land recovery that happened.

I live on the Space Coast of Florida, which was underwater at one point. The soil here is crap -- it's more sand than soil.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2018 :  02:10:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magical Land recovery is exactly what happened during the Sundering, areas drowned, areas covered in Spellplague called plaguelands (areas of magical nuclear waste basically), and areas of landscape that had ripped apart, areas that had finished or vanished, and areas that had between switch with areas from Abeir all restored during the Sundering, to the point there the distance between locations had grown larger!

So yeah Luiren'srecovery was a mix of drying out, divine intervention, and communities that had survived the flooding on islands.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  09:06:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the 5e map I did, I just assumed Luiren was still drowned - I don't want everything going back to exactly the way it used to be. With all the survivors and Ao's Uber-MacGuffin hand-wave, the setting is barely this side of believable as it is. To say the 'halflings returned' (when more than half of them drowned) is a bit much. I have it as a broken-up region of islands and swamps, and halflings now live north of that mountain range instead, in Hillshire along the new Dread Shaar sea.

Of course, there were some 'survivors' who didn't leave, like the crazy Hin living in the mountains (who some say are cannibals!), and also 'Swamplings' - aquatic halflings... sort of (think Smeagol/Gollum). There's also a bunch of crazy cultists in those islands now... {***Dagon***}

The changes (Sundering) are still pretty new - I think there will be an era of prosperity soon, but it would only be in its infancy right now. I had similar thoughts, which is why I left a connection between the Alamber and the Golden Waters, and also imagined a canal connecting the Shou-Lung River systems to Gbor Nor (Brightstar Lake), thus giving easier access to both K-T and Zakhara. And the work some of us are doing on Maztica and Katashaka also lends itself to this 'commerce' view (the islands I placed between Kata. and Maz. are suppose to be FR's version of The Caribbean).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Apr 2018 09:11:42
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2018 :  22:27:43  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah in some ways the bounce back is in it's infantacy, but in others like environmental restoration it's more advanced.

Edited by - Gyor on 13 Apr 2018 00:17:21
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2018 :  00:04:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually rereading the SCAG the ton of the book is very positive and hopeful, like the list world war era from the end of the war to like the end of the 60'increased prosperity seems to really be a theme in the book.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2018 :  04:39:03  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gyor, I totally agree. The 5th Edition era begins with the recovery of many regions after the world-changing events of the Sundering. Some areas are just begining to dig their way out of the ruins and devastation.

Other areas (that were already doing fine during the Sundering and 4E era) already have a headstart (e.g. the Western Heartlands was pretty much intact).

So yes, I do see a great opportunity throughout the entire world of Toril for reconstruction, especially for the Human communities who have the impetus to build/rebuild quickly (unlike the Elves and Dwarves who have a more long-term view).

But this also would be a time for great migrations. There will be numerous communities of survivors that want to start life anew somewhere else! For example, maybe a lot of the land was "reclaimed" in the Luiren Shires, but many halflings may find out that their own homesteads and old farms are no longer there. Or perhaps many areas are still patched with wet and swampy bogs, in contrast to the "good old days" when everything around them were golden plains and gentle rolling hills with plenty of farmable terrain. So many of the Halflings will complain that "It's just not the same like it used to be!" Instead of rebuilding on the same region, many will choose to migrate and move to greener pastures. Maybe they will migrate west and join their kinsfolk….. in the Western Heartlands and the Sword Coast!

This is opportunity for so many tales and stories and adventures! Migrants. Pilgrims. Settlers. It's like hundreds of Oregon Trail caravans crossing the lands of Faerun.

And you know what follows all those migrants, pilrgims and settlers! Raiders! Bandits! Marauders! Goblins, and Bugbears, and Gnolls, oh my!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2018 :  22:38:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am hoping to have a detailed map of one section that received the 'hybrid' treatment up later on today. Every time I think its done I find other layers that need tweaking (I switched fonts since I began the original version of it, and also the terrain was 'washed out' because I simply pasted and blew-up the stuff from my much smaller 5e map... 700%!)

Thus I had to paint-over everything yet again. That parts done. I'm just fine-tuning a few things (like adding the detail to the swamps, now that I've increased the size of what I was planning on releasing... three times LOL). Its still only going to be a WIP, though, since I haven't named any roads and only a couple of rivers (if I start bogging down with that I'll never get back to the other three {four?} maps I NEED to finish ASAP), plus I plan to have drawn-in trees and mountains, old-school style (so right now, mostly just color-swatches).

Anyhow, my point is, you'll be able to see how I gave some regions the "its very similar to the old Realms but with some of the 4e stuff that stuck around" treatment. Mainly, AKanûl and into Chessenta. I'd like to have had the whole of the OE done, but I haven't even touched Mulhorand at all (Unther is done but you won't see it), and as I said, I have other things I need to prioritize ATM. The North/Western Heartlands I'm leaving alone for now, since we already have a beautiful map of that by Mike Schley for 5e, and even when I do eventually get around to it, I won't be making changes in any noticeable way (unlike most everything else Mike hasn't mapped for 5e yet).

I figure like the maps themselves, its a compromise for the fanbase - most people played in the Heartlands anyway, and that looks just like it always did. Others areas needed a little 'sprucing up'. No sense losing anything juicy 4e added (except for that gawd-awful planetary arse-crack in the Shaar). I am picturing a lot of the Halflings down there being along the lines of the Rhennee in GH - bargefolk (living on the water, traveling about - it fits halflings nicely).

I picture 'returned Halruaa' being perhaps more isolationist (they certainly DON'T want any outsiders to know anything about the real situation going on there) than before, and yet, with a more visible presence everywhere. Maybe even an 'airship transport system' with regular stops around the Realms - costly to ride for normal folk, but for adventurers it shouldn't be a problem. And also more like how magic is in the Five Kingdoms in Eberron - they've learned some new tricks with elemental bindings (thus, our FR airships will be much more like EB's now - it just makes it easier for D&D), but also, I am picturing some new stuff, like maybe magical 'fanboats' that they make for the Hin I just mentioned above (basically, a 'binding ring' at the back of a small craft with a trapped air elemental), which means the halflings will be able to get around better in all that swampy terrain they are stuck with now.

So I guess Halruaa will have gone a little bit of the 'Thaymart' route, except not with 'shopfronts' (everything is special-order through their agents everywhere). Thus, seeing Halruaans merchant and Airships should be fairly common in larger metropolitan areas. I'm not actually picturing anything all that different on the surface - Ed has said numerous times that Halruaa has 'agents everywhere', its just that people don't know it (unlike the idiot Thayans who advertize their presence). Now, in 5e, I picture them being more overt in their dealings (which could still just be a front for their spy-network).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Apr 2018 22:43:56
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  14:26:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Gyor, I totally agree. The 5th Edition era begins with the recovery of many regions after the world-changing events of the Sundering. Some areas are just begining to dig their way out of the ruins and devastation.

Other areas (that were already doing fine during the Sundering and 4E era) already have a headstart (e.g. the Western Heartlands was pretty much intact).

So yes, I do see a great opportunity throughout the entire world of Toril for reconstruction, especially for the Human communities who have the impetus to build/rebuild quickly (unlike the Elves and Dwarves who have a more long-term view).

But this also would be a time for great migrations. There will be numerous communities of survivors that want to start life anew somewhere else! For example, maybe a lot of the land was "reclaimed" in the Luiren Shires, but many halflings may find out that their own homesteads and old farms are no longer there. Or perhaps many areas are still patched with wet and swampy bogs, in contrast to the "good old days" when everything around them were golden plains and gentle rolling hills with plenty of farmable terrain. So many of the Halflings will complain that "It's just not the same like it used to be!" Instead of rebuilding on the same region, many will choose to migrate and move to greener pastures. Maybe they will migrate west and join their kinsfolk….. in the Western Heartlands and the Sword Coast!

This is opportunity for so many tales and stories and adventures! Migrants. Pilgrims. Settlers. It's like hundreds of Oregon Trail caravans crossing the lands of Faerun.

And you know what follows all those migrants, pilrgims and settlers! Raiders! Bandits! Marauders! Goblins, and Bugbears, and Gnolls, oh my!

Some parts of the Western Heartlands like parts of Cormyr, the Dalelands,and Sembia where damaged by the war with Shade, and in Sembia's case Shade was not good at managing their economy, so now that they are free of who knows what tariffs band roaming undead unleashed by Shade they things are a lot more optimistic and rebuilding is occurring.

Still rebuilding takes time, but increased trade to would already have started and some rebuilding would he supported by magic.

Mod edit: Fixed the coding; the site didn't know what "qooute" meant.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Apr 2018 23:26:41
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2018 :  03:22:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CScUhiSUwAEvmde.jpg

Some inspiration for you maps.

Edited by - Gyor on 16 Apr 2018 03:23:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000