Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 WIPs on DMsGuild
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  19:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Would you consider it poor form to put a work in progress up on DMSGuild? I don’t mean an unedited brainstorm of garbage, nor would I consider charging for it, but I have a bestiary that has the majority of its creatures done. The artist simply doesn’t have the time to keep up with me, and i plan on adding what she is doing as time passes (always bg with a few more creatures).

Would that be something that turns you off from picking up even a free or pay-what-you-want item?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  21:35:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Would you consider it poor form to put a work in progress up on DMSGuild? I don’t mean an unedited brainstorm of garbage, nor would I consider charging for it, but I have a bestiary that has the majority of its creatures done. The artist simply doesn’t have the time to keep up with me, and i plan on adding what she is doing as time passes (always bg with a few more creatures).

Would that be something that turns you off from picking up even a free or pay-what-you-want item?

I don't do a lot on the DM's Guild, myself... But I'd shy away from anything that I knew wasn't a completed product, simply because I don't like the idea of using something something rules-based and knowing it could change when I'm not looking.

Again, though, I may not be the ideal respondent; most of what I look for on the DM's Guild is either something with plenty of lore, or something I can mine for non-rules ideas (like a bunch of NPCs or a list of tavern drinks).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  23:35:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If text is complete and illustrations the only thing to be added it might not be that bad an idea, however an uncompleted item is never a good idea. Users can end up with different versions and sometimes am illustration has the impact of many words not written.
Overall I would advise waiting until you have a complete presentation then one subject to change ever week or month because a picture was added.
You could do version numbers of course, however even that can get tiring for those that look for updates on changes.

The always subject to change, even for free, would not inspire me to download even for free.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2018 :  00:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on my personal experience, it's better to have something that feels reasonably complete on its own, and improve upon it over time, rather than something that feels noticeably unfinished.

An exception would be a preview of an upcoming product, in which case I would recommend against charging for it.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2018 :  06:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the advice. I will just post the link from my Google drive here and wait for completion. At this point, it’s almost all about the artist. The book itself is pretty much finished.

TWC7 Monsters DRAFT

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 04 Apr 2018 06:48:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000