Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Pathfinder 2nd Edition
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2018 :  19:22:29  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is this playtest going to explain (or at least show) the changes they mention?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2018 :  13:31:41  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the Playtest is out, free on PDF and the hard copy is around $35.00 USD. Anyone have a look at it yet?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  17:19:24  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I have noticed that is a good idea that could do with further development. They have replaced move action s and standard actions and come up with a single action. You get 3 single actions in a round and presumably can use them to move and attack as you wish.

Of course they still kept free actions which is horribly open to abuse and really poorly defined and then you have one reaction a round (a missed opportunity for obvious stat increase there).

Skills are not different at all really, some consolidation of actions into other skills but another missed opportunity of simplification (not to the degree of 5e though).

Still need to figure out magic, but I suspect it is the same as before.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  23:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm running this now and really enjoying it. It's fresh and simple to play, but it requires reading a lot of the core rulebook to really get before you can appreciate it. It is obviously much more rules heavy than 5e, but it's faster and clearer than 3e/PF1e. One thing to note is that we STILL don't have all of the rules: the GameMastery Guide coming out in a few months is going to have the rules for NPCs and monster creation. It's difficult to do more than reflavour published things until then.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  01:04:47  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I'm running this now and really enjoying it. It's fresh and simple to play, but it requires reading a lot of the core rulebook to really get before you can appreciate it. It is obviously much more rules heavy than 5e, but it's faster and clearer than 3e/PF1e. One thing to note is that we STILL don't have all of the rules: the GameMastery Guide coming out in a few months is going to have the rules for NPCs and monster creation. It's difficult to do more than reflavour published things until then.

Has there been any major changes to the setting (for example, like 4e did with Forgotten Realms), or are things pretty much the same? I am only somewhat familiar with Pathfinder (I started to get into it, playing a couple times, and reading some of the novels, but then that novel line went on hiatus, too), but I just want to know if there are major changes I should be aware of.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  01:37:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

Has there been any major changes to the setting (for example, like 4e did with Forgotten Realms), or are things pretty much the same? I am only somewhat familiar with Pathfinder (I started to get into it, playing a couple times, and reading some of the novels, but then that novel line went on hiatus, too), but I just want to know if there are major changes I should be aware of.

I've ordered the new setting book, but it's not arrived yet. I saw something about the Worldwound being closed, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  02:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

I've ordered the new setting book, but it's not arrived yet. I saw something about the Worldwound being closed, though.

Right! So the way continuity works in the official Pathfinder setting of Golarion is that they only update it when they release new versions of the core setting guide. Every year they produce two six-month adventure series (called adventure paths or APs) that often end with big repercussions (like the Worldwound being closed at the end of the Wrath of the Righteous AP) but those don't get folded in and made canon for other products until the next time the setting as a whole is updated. Because this is the first time the setting has been updated in eight years, there were about sixteen APs worth of changes to include. So there are new nations, changes in leadership, a couple deity changes, returned evils and so on.

Now, these changes are regional, only affecting part of the world. There's nothing like say the Time of Troubles or the Spellplague going on. Pathfinder 2e has a bunch of rules changes, but they're largely evolutionary and additive in terms of how the setting is perceived. Has the Pathfinder setting changed in a bunch of ways? Yes, but they're all following ideas that had been previously developed and created for the setting. I think I'd compare it to the 2e-3e change to the Realms, some new stuff, some old stuff getting resolved, some things got discarded. Similarly, if you want to just play 2e using the 1e setting, you'd be perfectly fine. You might need to improvise some rules until they get things updated to 2e, but using say the 1e setting book you have will work great.

This brings me to another big change with 2e, which is that none of the game lines are setting-neutral any more. 1e had kind of a Chinese Wall between the core rulebook line and the rest of the products, so most of the Pathfinder rulebooks were written to be setting agnostic. They eventually got rid of this policy by the end of 1e, and now all rulebooks are written with Golarion as the default setting. The 2e core rulebook has a setting chapter on Golarion, there's more specific setting detail about Golarion written through say the ancestry (race) descriptions, and so on. (This doesn't mean the rulebooks don't support creating your own setting, adventures, or ideas however!)

You might think this makes adapting 2e for say the Realms a lot harder, but they made one big change that makes it a lot, lot easier. Everything is now explicitly tagged with a rarity trait (common, uncommon, rare, or unique) that describes how available it is in your game, and it is made very clear that GMs and players should change the rarity of game items to fit their setting and playstyle. (Common options are always available, uncommon options are sometimes available depending upon the part of the setting or context you're in, rare options require GM consent, and unique options can only be introduced by the GM.) A good example is the goblin ancestry, which is now straight up in the Core Rulebook and accessible for all players. They count as common. This makes sense for Golarion, it's a prominent mascot race for Paizo and they did a lot of work to make goblins more acceptable in many civilizations. It doesn't make a lot of sense in the Realms, where we don't have a lot of civilized goblins in the same way. We've had goblin PC stats in pretty much every edition, but they're always tagged with "ask your DM." So for the 2e game I'm running in Westgate I changed goblins to rare, requiring a player to discuss including them with me before using that ancestry. And we have a goblin, but I was able to talk through goblins in the Realms with the player first and put us both on the same page. It's really that simple.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  02:48:40  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Every adventure path is assumed to have happened and ended with the PCs triumphant. This means the Worldwound is closed, Nocticula has been redeemed, Casandalee is a goddess now, Korvosa is independent, and a few other things. It also had the colonial regime of Sargava overthrown by a revolution, and now Vidrian is a new nation in its place run by native Mwangi.

Oh, and Tar-Baphon is free. He destroyed Lastwall.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Edited by - keftiu on 15 Jan 2020 02:49:12
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  03:49:20  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Arivia and Keftiu!

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  13:30:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the Runelords are back and have established New Thassilon in Varisia.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3281 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  14:27:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Whispering Tyrant was my favorite "Villain" when I was into Golarion. Cool!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2020 :  15:12:59  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new hobgoblin nation was formed, occupying the mountains near Molthune and Nimrathas. Instead of being continual oppressors, they are now working on diplomatic and trade ties(from Ironfang invasion).

It's a place where events matter, days and years progress, and no baby was thrown out with the bath water with the edition changes.

Good, continued quality which always leads trying to meet fan desire, while being very open with their plans. It's why they get my money and Wotc doesn't.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000