Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Fun with fla...I mean maps! Silver Marches
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  02:53:53  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I was looking at both of my Silver Marches maps. I can't figure out what these dotted lines are that fade into nothingness?

Also, what is this trail/road that cuts through the SW portion of the Moonwood?

See maps here:

https://imgur.com/kxtgvC8

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  13:30:34  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume they are trails and if they fade, they are trails that used to lead somewhere but are now mostly overgrown and gone. And I think the trail along the SW portion of the Moonwood leads to Hartsvale, which is alternately completed ignored or embraced (even within editions) since its creation in 2E (currently embraced with 5E's Storm King's Thunder and Volo's Guide to Monsters).
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  02:11:40  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

I assume they are trails and if they fade, they are trails that used to lead somewhere but are now mostly overgrown and gone. And I think the trail along the SW portion of the Moonwood leads to Hartsvale, which is alternately completed ignored or embraced (even within editions) since its creation in 2E (currently embraced with 5E's Storm King's Thunder and Volo's Guide to Monsters).

Hrmm ok well yes I'd assumed they were old trails/roads. I was wondering if they showed up somewhere in Canon? I've never seen them on any other maps.

Hartsvale seems to be the other way (extreme NE of there). So it doesn't seem to go that direction at all.

Edited by - Cards77 on 23 Jan 2018 02:13:29
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  02:19:02  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dotted lines are trails instead of roads. For example the trail that runs along the southern Moonwood starts in Rivermoot and runs to High Hold then Herald's Holdfast (not shown on your map) and then branches first up to Quarvarr and then up and down, up to Beorunna's Well between the Night Trees and The Cold Wood and down to the roan that connects Silverymoon and Khelb. There is also a trail from High Hold to Silverymoon that runs along the northern banks of the R. Surbrin. All of the trails on the Silver Marches map seem to end more or less at a named location. Some only come close, however. For example, there is trail from Nesme north to the Dungeon of the Ruins that stops at the base of the Frost Hills and just short of the Dungeon.

And sorry, I looked at the image you sent and misplaced exactly where things were. In looking at the map, from the 3E Silver Marches accessory and back at your maps, it looks like the trail through the SW portion runs from Quarvarr to Mithrall Hall.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  20:13:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There used to be lots and lots of trails like that in 1e/2e - the most 'famous' I can think of off the topic of my head is the Caddark Trail which runs from Uluvin past Starshadow Tower at the edge of the High forest, on through The Old Trees, and then just 'trails off'. However, when you follow the straight line it leads directly to The Hall of Four Ghosts... which used to be called Caddarak many centuries ago.

Also, the 'trail disappearing' could mean that's as far as explorer's have gotten. This would probably be the case in the Moonwood - that's the point where the resident Elves turn people back (so people KNOW the trail continues, they just don't know where).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jan 2018 20:14:00
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  03:15:19  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There used to be lots and lots of trails like that in 1e/2e - the most 'famous' I can think of off the topic of my head is the Caddark Trail which runs from Uluvin past Starshadow Tower at the edge of the High forest, on through The Old Trees, and then just 'trails off'. However, when you follow the straight line it leads directly to The Hall of Four Ghosts... which used to be called Caddarak many centuries ago.

Also, the 'trail disappearing' could mean that's as far as explorer's have gotten. This would probably be the case in the Moonwood - that's the point where the resident Elves turn people back (so people KNOW the trail continues, they just don't know where).

Hrmmm wow thank you. Those two paragraphs are full of all kinds of nuggets. I wish I had a map that showed any of those things you referred to in the first.

I will need to find some better maps...like yours!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000