Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Orc beer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  13:34:18  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Would Orcs on Faerun have (once) been sophisticated enough to have their own alcoholic beverages?

Can you think of some good names they'd give it?

Cheers!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  14:07:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bludweiser (and Blud Lite!). Old Killwaukee. Killer Lite. Hella Artois. Hangling.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  14:26:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the most part no on the beer. The only humanoids we know of that have agriculture of that level were the Odonti (did i spell that right guys?). To make beer you first need to make the crop. The other big issue is that the biggest concentration of humanoids are where it is COLD. The further north, the harder to get fruit to grow, etc.

However, they could easily have something like mead - or alcohols from fermented fruits (wine, brandy, congnac, rakia, etc.), in supplies based on the local flora/fauna.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  15:07:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

For the most part no on the beer. The only humanoids we know of that have agriculture of that level were the Odonti (did i spell that right guys?). To make beer you first need to make the crop. The other big issue is that the biggest concentration of humanoids are where it is COLD. The further north, the harder to get fruit to grow, etc.

However, they could easily have something like mead - or alcohols from fermented fruits (wine, brandy, congnac, rakia, etc.), in supplies based on the local flora/fauna.

Or something like vodka. I understand that potatoes do well in cold weather. Though that still implies at least some agricultural efforts, which isn't something orcs are known for.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  15:51:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orcish Drinks...here ya go:

Ambor: a type of gin made of wild grains (rye & spelt primarily) which is given a "taste" by adding juniper berries or aromatics such as anise, caraway seeds, or angelica root as flavoring. Ambor is also often made from tubers such as wild potatoes and carrots; but this is more like a vodka.

Gavik: a watered down wine made from wild-berries gathered by women and whelps. Used primarily for travel because the alcohol prevents sickness from drinking bad water.

Dagri'Kumashat: made almost exactly like Kefir, this drink is considered a great prize. When cattle of any kind (anything that can be milked) are captured, they are milked first and then slaughtered. The Kefir is then produced from the stolen milk. It is usually drank when finished before another raid.

Kurv'Kumashat: "whore milk" is made from the fermented breastmilk of orcish women who are weaning their whelps. They make small "batches" of the stuff to try and bribe the strongest males to rut with them. Some chiefs demand that all women put their breastmilk into daily batches that he then drinks or gives as rewards to his finest warriors. After drinking a couple of "teets full" the man will then pick a female to mate with. This brew is often blessed by the priests of Luthic.

There ya go...

Orcs like booze as much as the rest of the world!

EDIT:

Forgot one!

Kapurd: a mushroom drink made from fermented mushrooms and algae. Kapurd would be the "beer" of the orcs...made from mushrooms that aren't all that good to eat; but Kapurd pits set in stony recesses would be common in orcish lairs.

A much stronger form of Mushroom drink called Kapurd'Dhaub (or Mushroom Agony) is made from a poisonous mushroom. If made wrong, it will kill the drinker...but if made correctly it causes hallucinations and visions. It's much more common among Shamans.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 19 Jan 2018 16:03:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  17:01:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's some good stuff... Is it personal lore, or did it originate elsewhere?

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  17:21:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's some good stuff... Is it personal lore, or did it originate elsewhere?

It's personal lore for my orcs.

I DID use Black Speech for the words however.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  18:13:46  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*claps*

Excellent post Dalor. Much appreciated.

Having my next party loot a drunken orcish warband is gonna be extra fun!

Whoremilk. Eulch!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  18:17:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Years and years ago, back when I was still in HS and my local gaming store also happened to be the headquarters of Fantasy Games Unlimited, several of the 'old people' (college kids) were talking about some series of books (or it may have just been one really good novel - not sure) that had fantasy races 'hidden' for thousand of years on Earth, and for whatever reason people found out about them again (and it sounds like some other settings I now know of, but this pre-dated all of those). The one thing I recall from those conversations was that goblins made the best beer - Goblin beer was considered 'of the highest quality'. I wish I knew what book(s) that was from - they all seemed quite taken with it back then.

The only race that got more extensively into alcoholic beverage production were the elves, and I don't think they made beer. Halflings and gnomes probably got it from humans, and dwarves only have nasty mushroom & fungus-based stuff (kind of hard to grow grains and fruits below ground). Most other humanoids simply aren't advanced enough for brewing.

For Orcs, I see them more into smoking or eating stuff that's somewhat narcotic, than going through all the trouble of alcohol production. Maybe they had some sort of 'pipeweed' on their world that had similar affects to drinking alcohol. Hmmmm... maybe marijuana originated on an orc world.

EDIT:
When I thought more about that, the 'pot' thing really doesn't make sense for them. Native Americans call it 'smoking the Peace pipe' for a reason - it makes you very CHILL. Can't see a warlike people embracing that. other types of natural plant based drugs could work though - something they could ingest that acted like PcP would probably be looked at like some sort of 'holy plant'.

quote:

Bludweiser (and Blud Lite!). Old Killwaukee. Killer Lite. Hella Artois. Hangling.

Would they then be having a yearly Worg-Puppy Bowl?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jan 2018 18:23:25
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  19:01:09  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, those are great Dalor.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2018 :  09:23:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fermented fungus juice does seem pretty obvious - found in a semi-fermented rotting "natural" state underground, under corpses, in many sorts of disgusting places only an orc might ever explore. Just put it into containers, always useful to have such poisons handy even if only for recreational consumption.

I imagine orcs could (and would) drink things no other race could tolerate. They might even enjoy dwarven battlerager grog. They'd certainly enjoy fermented dwarf blood. They might consume alcohols in whatever pulpy dirty half-rotten mush they can get, not bothering to refine it into aesthetically pure liquids like the weaker races would. All told, though, it would always be easier to take booze than to make booze, though I suppose a world lacking non-orc populations would also lack non-orc alcohols, the orcs (or their subjugated slave races) would probably figure something out.

Having the shaman (or shaman caste) in charge of the "secret" substances and methods used to manufacture orc alcohols (along with medicines, poisons, ritual/recreational drugs, and punishment/torture drugs) would be a good way to control impulsive orcish consumptions (and a good way for the shaman to secure the power and loyalty of his tribe). But too many drunk orcs would cause too many problems, if access to the booze isn't restricted then the actions of the boozers would have to be (one way or another) ... every orc wants to have a good time but no family, clan, or tribe would want to lose too much strength.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2018 :  14:32:54  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or something like vodka. I understand that potatoes do well in cold weather. Though that still implies at least some agricultural efforts, which isn't something orcs are known for.

Well, potatoes originated in Maztica, so I highly doubt we'd see those spread throughout the Realms as of yet, if at all. If anything, any alcohol in the possession of Mountain Orcs, Gray Orcs, Orogs or Tanarukks was either traded for, stolen or - most likely - spoils from fighting/raiding.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2018 :  15:36:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

quote:

Well, potatoes originated in Maztica, so I highly doubt we'd see those spread throughout the Realms as of yet, if at all. If anything, any alcohol in the possession of Mountain Orcs, Gray Orcs, Orogs or Tanarukks was either traded for, stolen or - most likely - spoils from fighting/raiding.

Actually, part of what I like about Dalor's post is that two of the orcish alcoholic drinks he mentions (orcoholic drinks? ) don't really require a major commitment of time or energy to make. Look again at his entries for Dagri'Kumashat and Kapurd. Even in the North, where orcs tend to live by raiding, these drinks are still reasonable options.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2018 :  18:30:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I would have to say these are spot-on. I would never have thought to make beer so flavorful (which is weird, since I actually DO make beer, and its flavorful LOL).

The Kurv'Kumashat is particularly brilliant. So simple, yet something completely alien to our way of thinking.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2018 :  19:45:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yeah, I would have to say these are spot-on. I would never have thought to make beer so flavorful (which is weird, since I actually DO make beer, and its flavorful LOL).

The Kurv'Kumashat is particularly brilliant. So simple, yet something completely alien to our way of thinking.

My family still makes "shine" to this day in small batches. I grew up around moonshine and other homemade drinks.

When I thought about the creation of these drinks, I just had to think about all the things that orcs could make booze from that was laying around that isn't otherwise food to them.

I actually have MORE drinks:

Lul'Migul: "Flower Fog" is a bitter mixture of flower petals used in making a weak wine. Warriors usually refuse to drink the stuff, but females often consume it or use it as a sedative for rowdy whelps.

Flot'Pi: "Leaf Drink" is made out of oak, or more rarely birch, leaves from trees. It is a bitter gin if made very well; but most batches are more closely a wine. Batches of the stuff have to be made in the early spring when the trees are sprouting new foilage.

What most people don't think about is: what are all the women doing when the men are off to war? Orc males rarely hunt much; their focus is on fighting. While defeated foes (and even fallen comrades) might provide meat, most orcs subsist on a diet of foods foraged by the females and whelps.

During the day hours, they wouldn't be out much because orcs just don't like daylight...so during all those hours that aren't spent sleeping or rutting to make the next generation of warriors; the women would have things to do like making clothes, preparing food, and making booze!

The creation of booze is easy and can come from so many places that the resources needed are always at hand.

I come from an Appalachian family of Irish...trust me.

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 20 Jan 2018 19:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2018 :  21:19:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just assumed orc women fought alongside the males. Its the oldsters and injured that watch the whelps while the adults are 'out playing'. Just my take, anyway. Nothing I've seen in canon, come to think of it (which probably makes sense, give their fecundity).

And while we are on the side-subject, I think goblinoids of all stripes should be giving birth to 'litters'. Twins and triplets should be commonplace. Given what the mortality rate should be, its a wonder they can ever produce 'hordes' at all. (I know you fixed this in your setting - too bad we couldn't rewrite all of D&D, eh?)

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2018 :  00:12:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I know Rashemi already have "blood wine" (which may or may not involve blood).... but I could definitely see orcs doing some kind of fermentation process with the blood of their enemies. Maybe not into wine? It would have a very metallic taste due to all the iron in it maybe? But they might consider that "making them stronger". Hell they actually may crave that much iron and protein as it helps them procreate more? Not sure where to go with it. It would take a lot of sugar I'd imagine, and of course boiling it off to kill any disease. Anyway, I know other cultures use blood to make puddings and sausages and such.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2018 :  11:14:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why bother to pasteurize things and kill off disease?

Orcs are known to prefer meat, sometimes depicted as cooking/burning it, sometimes eating it raw. And while they're not as absolutely filthy as trolls and gnolls, they're certainly not known to be fussy with hygiene. Maybe they all smell like musky male-dominance pheremones, for all we know. Or maybe they somehow mask their scent for hunting.

It seems to me that orcs are a hardy and robust species, resistant to infections and parasites and diseases (and poisons). If they weren't - given their lifestyles - then they likely wouldn't last very long or become so numerous. Remember that orcs tend to have no real access to curative or healing magics. And very little concern for weaklings in their own tribes - a sick orc would probably never dare show any pain or weakness among his own kind - he'd know that they'd exploit it - and they'd know that any affliction so serious it can't be hidden is a threat which must be removed.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2018 :  11:52:05  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What comes to mind for me is cloudberries and crowberries. Any alpine, fen/tundra or alpine mountainous northern region would have something like this. Perfect for making wine.
I just can't imagine mountain orc's of Faerun picking blueberries or cloudberries..
Maybe fermented rothe milk?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2018 :  13:57:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Why bother to pasteurize things and kill off disease?

Orcs are known to prefer meat, sometimes depicted as cooking/burning it, sometimes eating it raw. And while they're not as absolutely filthy as trolls and gnolls, they're certainly not known to be fussy with hygiene. Maybe they all smell like musky male-dominance pheremones, for all we know. Or maybe they somehow mask their scent for hunting.

It seems to me that orcs are a hardy and robust species, resistant to infections and parasites and diseases (and poisons). If they weren't - given their lifestyles - then they likely wouldn't last very long or become so numerous. Remember that orcs tend to have no real access to curative or healing magics. And very little concern for weaklings in their own tribes - a sick orc would probably never dare show any pain or weakness among his own kind - he'd know that they'd exploit it - and they'd know that any affliction so serious it can't be hidden is a threat which must be removed.

True, maybe they actually have a tendency to gather blood and make it a quick "additive" at the last second to some other drink. In fact, maybe they use something simple like potatoes or mushrooms and make a vodka, but then the orcs add blood to it at the time of drinking to dilute it and flavor it. Maybe they carry small flasks of it, and after a battle they gather cups of their enemies blood and drink.

On this same topic though, possibly blood sausage is a particular favorite for orc expectant mothers, and thus carcasses have sections of their fat, blood, liver, marrow and other soft organs carved away to make it for the women folk (and intestines are cleaned for casings, with the extracts of such used for the growing of mushrooms), while the men eat the muscle.

The point though of having them cook the stuff is that its less work for the body if you let a fire "cure" food down rather than make your body do it. Some think cooking is the reason why humans are so much more intelligent, and why pets of humans tend to seem to be more intelligent. Speaking on that subject, given that mushrooms would tend to grow easier where orcs live in darkness, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot of recipes for cooking flesh with mushrooms (which also tend to take on the flavor of what they are cooked with).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2018 :  18:35:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

True, maybe they actually have a tendency to gather blood and make it a quick "additive" at the last second to some other drink. In fact, maybe they use something simple like potatoes or mushrooms and make a vodka, but then the orcs add blood to it at the time of drinking to dilute it and flavor it. Maybe they carry small flasks of it, and after a battle they gather cups of their enemies blood and drink.

This is exactly how I see it. Orcs love the blood of their enemies; and mixing it with their booze would kill off any of the diseases held within.

The orc term "Lul Gijak-Ishi" means "Flowers in the Blood"...and though this usually refers to elves; it also takes on a negative connotation regarding things like disease.

Remember, Aboriginal Americans were VERY resistant to diseases as well...until exposed to new diseases. So while Orcs are resistant to the diseases that are common in their own living conditions, they are not resistant to diseases that the Elves, Humans and Halflings might be resistant to in THEIR living conditions.

In fact: Dwarf, Gnome and Halfling populations are the most resistant races with hardy constitutions...and any disease that they could be affected by might have catastrophic consequences on an Orc population.

So, carrying alcohol with them (as perhaps their only disinfectant and pain relief) would be typical for a culture in a fantasy setting that is evil and doesn't have access to healing magic.

When they decide to celebrate a victory, they could indeed mix the blood of their enemies with their Gavik to make sure any disease was dead.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2018 :  19:04:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

This is exactly how I see it. Orcs love the blood of their enemies; and mixing it with their booze would kill off any of the diseases held within.

The orc term "Lul Gijak-Ishi" means "Flowers in the Blood"...and though this usually refers to elves; it also takes on a negative connotation regarding things like disease.

Remember, Aboriginal Americans were VERY resistant to diseases as well...until exposed to new diseases. So while Orcs are resistant to the diseases that are common in their own living conditions, they are not resistant to diseases that the Elves, Humans and Halflings might be resistant to in THEIR living conditions.

In fact: Dwarf, Gnome and Halfling populations are the most resistant races with hardy constitutions...and any disease that they could be affected by might have catastrophic consequences on an Orc population.

So, carrying alcohol with them (as perhaps their only disinfectant and pain relief) would be typical for a culture in a fantasy setting that is evil and doesn't have access to healing magic.

When they decide to celebrate a victory, they could indeed mix the blood of their enemies with their Gavik to make sure any disease was dead.

So, would blood mixed with Gavik be Gavik-Gijak?

Hmmm, and thinking on it, it might be interesting if they made vodka like drinks from sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, and maybe a rum from sugar beets?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2018 :  20:21:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do you think Orcs would enjoy things being sweeter? At the risk of sounding misogynistic (which orcs VERY much are), anything sweet would be considered 'girly' (or elven, which to them would be similar).

I picture desert-orcs making beverages from extremely spicy peppers. They would find it funny to see the faces of outsiders as they drink the stuff (choking, not being able to breath, turning beet-red, etc.) Orc food & drink should represent orc culture - everything should be some sort of challenge. There is an episode of ST:tNG I rewatched recently, where Riker becomes second-in-command on a Klingon vessel (A Matter of Honor). I like the episode because it gives us a view of Klingon culture, and I've always pictured it very similar to Orcs. Riker had practiced eating klingon food so as not to embarrass himself (its pretty damn gross), and when he got on board he found that Gagh (a dish of worms) was supposed to be eaten LIVE, which he didn't know (he was eating bowls of dead worms). Like i said, those are the kinds of details in a setting I really like. You won't see things like that on Star Wars (which is weird, because even though they having MUCH better aliens, all of them act MUCH more 'human' than the aliens in ST). Except Jabba... he's got some cool eating habits (stolen from the Dune movie BTW - George Lucas never had an original thought in his life).

Anyway, my point is that 'strong warrior cultures' come form places where it's hard to survive. Bringing up Dune again, the emperor's elite fighters were trained on an especially harsh planet, which is why they were so damned good. Then they met the Fremen of Arrakis (Dune), and they were completely outclassed. Arrakis being the harshest environment humans lived in in the Galaxy. Orcs should come from such an environment - one that challenges them constantly. Even the food & drink should represent this ("be sure you spit-out the pits of the Dromaberries, U-maan... they are poisonous. To swallow even one means agonizing death!")

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jan 2018 20:23:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2018 :  21:40:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why do you think Orcs would enjoy things being sweeter? At the risk of sounding misogynistic (which orcs VERY much are), anything sweet would be considered 'girly' (or elven, which to them would be similar).

Unless orc taste buds process things different. Sweet to a human or elf may have an entirely different taste to an orc... Or it may take something being exceedingly sweet (like, "instant diabetes" sweet), by human standards, to even be noticeable to an orc.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2018 :  21:58:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet-tasting foods are attractive to humans and primates and many other animals. Because sugar contains many calories, it's high-density high-energy foodstuff, a handful of sugarberries could really help keep you alert for a few hours in an active hunting/foraging lifestyle. I'm thinking that many orcs would have a sweet-tusk and, while they might generally prefer hard spicy fare, they'd also find it very hard to turn down a chocolate-coated halfling. It's only in our soft, decadent, consumption-based society that obesity and other health problems caused in large part from awful diets and overconsumption of sugars (overprocessed sugars, at that) could even be possible - if people had to expend calories to obtain calories then their preferences for sugar would never be considered "girly" or "elven".

I would actually expect orcs to have a blunted, almost rudimentary sense of taste. Aside from a definite preference for meat (high protein mass) they seem to enjoy eating things other races would consider inedible refuse. They'd also use every part of a halfling except the squeal.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 21 Jan 2018 22:08:16
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  08:30:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wonders if orcs have beer made from captive humanoid( such as elves) breastmilk.... well it would be insulting to their hated enemies...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  09:18:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

wonders if orcs have beer made from captive humanoid( such as elves) breastmilk.... well it would be insulting to their hated enemies...

The image of an orc 'milking' an elf was... unpleasant...

To say the least. I'm going to have nightmares now.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jan 2018 09:19:10
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  10:16:14  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and here I thought you hated elves....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  12:10:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I picture desert-orcs making beverages from extremely spicy peppers. They would find it funny to see the faces of outsiders as they drink the stuff (choking, not being able to breath, turning beet-red, etc.) Orc food & drink should represent orc culture - everything should be some sort of challenge. There is an episode of ST:tNG I rewatched recently, where Riker becomes second-in-command on a Klingon vessel (A Matter of Honor). I like the episode because it gives us a view of Klingon culture, and I've always pictured it very similar to Orcs. Riker had practiced eating klingon food so as not to embarrass himself (its pretty damn gross), and when he got on board he found that Gagh (a dish of worms) was supposed to be eaten LIVE, which he didn't know (he was eating bowls of dead worms). Like i said, those are the kinds of details in a setting I really like. You won't see things like that on Star Wars (which is weird, because even though they having MUCH better aliens, all of them act MUCH more 'human' than the aliens in ST). Except Jabba... he's got some cool eating habits (stolen from the Dune movie BTW - George Lucas never had an original thought in his life).

Anyway, my point is that 'strong warrior cultures' come form places where it's hard to survive. Bringing up Dune again, the emperor's elite fighters were trained on an especially harsh planet, which is why they were so damned good. Then they met the Fremen of Arrakis (Dune), and they were completely outclassed. Arrakis being the harshest environment humans lived in in the Galaxy. Orcs should come from such an environment - one that challenges them constantly. Even the food & drink should represent this ("be sure you spit-out the pits of the Dromaberries, U-maan... they are poisonous. To swallow even one means agonizing death!")

Sweet equals nutritious and energy giving (now, granted in OUR culture, we overdo it, but orcs won't have our resources typically, and they tend to work harder, so they burn it off). Orcs would love things that do that. While I see them loving to drink their enemy's blood, it would be a bitter, metallic flavor. Mixing the two things.... sweet but "elvish" with bitter blood might make it more palatable to them (i.e. less girly).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  12:13:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

The image of an orc 'milking' an elf was... unpleasant...

To say the least. I'm going to have nightmares now.

Um, is it wrong of me to say I'm kinda turned on....

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  18:20:58  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All these examples make me wonder whats found in the alchemical traditions of shamen in orc and goblinoid cultures. They might be truly unique sources of power for them, with scattered but extensive lists of exotic ingredients brought in by orc hunters over the eons across the multiverse. The typical issues of survival would be stressed, with foremost agents against diseases and indigestion. But I like to think most is based on superstition too, such as with the mystical sense that eating ones foes passes on some of its power to the eater.

Alchemy is one of the few ways a female orc can gather some influence and status; it might even be used to hide some real girly arcane spellcasting skill for self defense with flashy powdery tricks. Clerics of Luthic might have unholy variations of good orcish brews for use in their rituals and are probably good at alchemy because of those blood rites as well.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000