Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rise of Tiamat tidbits+
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  20:25:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Just don't do a Codpiece of Winter. That would be... problematic.

"I'm telling you, it's because of this artifact!"

So shrinkage is the curse? I’ll take the Bag of Devouring and stick my hand in it instead tyvm.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2018 :  21:04:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see how that could theoretically lead to the creation of an 'Ice Queen'.

I'm just now seeing (because of the stuff I had to look up earlier) that Silvanus is now in charge of 'the furies'. I like that - it makes sense to me. Especially since we KNOW at least one of them is Fey (Auril), and there is a VERY good chance Umberlee is as well (while looking for Auril's name, I came across some stuff in the Frostmaiden article that doesn't mention Umberlee by name, but definitely hints that she is right there - as a fey power - as well). Malar could easily be folded into the 'fey' as a primal hunter aspect.

And I am liking less and less having to refer to gods by (mortal) 'race' names. There really isn't such a thing as 'fey Gods' they Are NOT fey - the pre-existed the Fey. Same goes for most of the others all (the mutispheric ones, at any rate).

I would say their really should have been just three main groups at the beginning (and I am using the term 'groups' very loosely). The 'good' gods, which would be asscoiated with light (Selûne, Pelor, etc), the Seldairne, who should be more about 'balance' and nature,and the 'ebil Gods'.

But as I said, that's an extremely loose interpretation. Many of the neutral gods would be leaning toward 'good', if for no other reason than to help counter the evil gods. I think the Gray Lords broke-off from the Seldarine early on, possibly right after the Dawn War (so 'true neutral' from neutral good). Also, a lot of the evil gods never work together, even though it would benefit them. However, a good chunk of them are directly related to the elder Evil Eye and its many incarnations, so there's that. In fact, the more I think about it, the more i think that 'Seldarine' is just an elven term for the original Estelar, and then as time went on, they 'pruned' certain gods from their pantheon.

So basically, I'm just back to saying that pantheons themselves are a mortal fabrication, and meaningless on a cosmic level. Like companies, special interest groups, and politicians - each situation is different, and who is siding with who depends on the agenda of each individual at that time, on that one particular subject. Thus, different aspects of the same archtypes could be staunch allies on most things, and bitter enemies on a couple of others. There really is no 'this is how it always is', except in the minds of mortals, because they need that reassurance (otherwise, their own existence is nothing more than as a pawn in a cosmic game.. which it is).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jan 2018 21:04:49
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  02:12:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And why the hell doesn't the Wiki contain Auril's REAL NAME under her entry? Thats the third time in 2 days I've gone to the wiki for a piece of directly related information and the Wiki was sorely lacking (like not having the actual meaning of the word 'Drow' under the drow entry, for example). For awhile there I was really starting to find it useful, but now I'm back to not being able to find the crunchy stuff I need.

For the 100th time, can someone once-again tell me her name? I couldn't even find it in Brian's article on the Frostmaiden (which is pretty weird - where else could it be?) this time I will WRITE IT DOWN, I promise.

However, I did find something else not related (I think) in the Wiki entry - the folk of the Great Glacier call her Saukuruk - isn't that oddly close to 'Sarrukh'?

Aurilandur.... its in the article on Sarifal, that's why you couldn't find it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  06:42:36  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are all wonderful! I'm so glad I asked here, the insights...!
Here's another one, the dragon masks were to be assembled to help free Tiamat. She then eats their owners. As much as this seems wrong, did the masks make them her chosen (for digestion)? There are other areas where chosen didn't fit the god/goddess choosing them, Auril being one above.
(The "Chowsen?")
http://slyflourish.com/running_rise_of_tiamat.html

I" am Sathia of Orogoth

Edited by - Fineva on 19 Jan 2018 06:56:19
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  09:03:00  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

The second reveal is in the right hands it can bring a global winter.

The Ring has always had this legendary power. In one source it says that doing this would exhaust the ring and it would be destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  09:05:57  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
However, I did find something else not related (I think) in the Wiki entry - the folk of the Great Glacier call her Saukuruk - isn't that oddly close to 'Sarrukh'?

Nah - go read the great glacier book, basically every word sounds kinda like that. I think it was an attempt at making a guttural language.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  18:50:20  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

The second reveal is in the right hands it can bring a global winter.

The Ring has always had this legendary power. In one source it says that doing this would exhaust the ring and it would be destroyed.

Yes I know. I thought some people were questioning about whether or not the 5E version could still do this; because it appears to be underpowered compared to the previous version. Even in the ‘other properties’ description from ToA it was considered a rumor. The new lore trumps the old lore..etc…etc..the ring can only be used for good, now it is chaotic evil.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  19:16:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that that 'power' can only manifest if someone had all the artifacts of the Regalia of Winter, and had to be of at least demi-power status (so a Chosen COULD do it, if they got their hands on the other Winter items).

There really should be a scepter of some kind. I like scepters. Then we can just say Auril always had the scepter. Lets see, Ring of Winter, Ice Necklace, Frost Crown... Snow Scepter? Sounds a bit silly. Not really 'menacing', know what I mean? Snowflake Scepter sounds MUCH worse. I don't even want to GO THERE.

EDIT:
'Hoar Scepter' sounds like a different kind of item entirely.
'Rime Scepter' sounds cool (and menacing), but its really just the same word as 'frost'.

Speaking of Hoar, I wouldn't mind saying Auril and him have something going on in 5e. Maybe he is helping to 'redeem' her (he's not really about 'being good' either, so it makes some sense). Maybe its just me, but I always thought having a character named 'Hoar' and NOT connecting him to cold was such a waste.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jan 2018 19:20:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  20:01:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stormscepter

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2018 :  20:29:25  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I would say that that 'power' can only manifest if someone had all the artifacts of the Regalia of Winter, and had to be of at least demi-power status (so a Chosen COULD do it, if they got their hands on the other Winter items).

To me its more interesting if activation of this kind of power requires some action. A huge quests that makes everything come together just right.

One of the (very few) things I liked about the Blackstaff novel was they had a major magical effect that required everything to be just right and took literally centuries of precise planning and manipulation.

There was a book some time back that kind of touched on this idea (badly, but you know) calling such things Legacy items. Special actions are required to allow the item to realize its potential.

Presumably, all the precise planning and such has been done by Auril. She just needs the ring-wearer to fulfill the proper actions to set it all into motion.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000