Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novels and interest in the game & setting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2018 :  09:57:05  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

This is not so accurate. While killing the comics of the Fantastic 4 killed the movie line as well
I don't think that is accurate. Most people who saw those movies or were in the target audience to potentielly see those movies have never ever read a F4 comic nor are they even aware whether those are still being published or have discontinued.

The F4 line failed because they were not good movies. The reboot failed because it was even worse. Simple as that.

Had they been later MCU quality movies, they would still be going strong with >90% of their audience completely unaware that the comic line has been ended.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2018 :  16:08:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

This is not so accurate. While killing the comics of the Fantastic 4 killed the movie line as well
I don't think that is accurate. Most people who saw those movies or were in the target audience to potentielly see those movies have never ever read a F4 comic nor are they even aware whether those are still being published or have discontinued.

The F4 line failed because they were not good movies. The reboot failed because it was even worse. Simple as that.

Had they been later MCU quality movies, they would still be going strong with >90% of their audience completely unaware that the comic line has been ended.

Indeed. As I've said more than once, people who read for pleasure -- whether it's comic books, straight fiction, tie-in fiction, or anything else -- are the minority, when it comes to the movie-going public. A best-selling book can be one that sells just 10,000 copies -- if only 10,000 people see a movie, it'll be out on DVD in a month.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2018 :  18:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The comments above are not wrong, but we can add that when evaluating whether to adapt written works, Hollywood does consider simple name recognition. For example, it's a plus if people recognize the name "Fantastic Four" whether or not anybody is currently reading the comics. Of course, if you invest money making movies that then bomb, perhaps that name recognition becomes less of a factor in your decision making thereafter.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2018 :  04:32:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

The comments above are not wrong, but we can add that when evaluating whether to adapt written works, Hollywood does consider simple name recognition. For example, it's a plus if people recognize the name "Fantastic Four" whether or not anybody is currently reading the comics. Of course, if you invest money making movies that then bomb, perhaps that name recognition becomes less of a factor in your decision making thereafter.

Agreed. In their endless quest to avoid any originality, Hollywood will certainly look at the popularity of any given thing before deciding to make a movie on it... So while a bestselling book isn't guaranteed to be a summer blockbuster movie, that bestselling book certainly has better odds than something no one has ever heard of.

Though it's not that popularity in one media means popularity in another -- it's that something that makes something popular in one media can often do the same in another.

The Fantastic Four comics have been around for decades, and it's because Marvel hit on a good formula for a superhero group. The failure of Hollywood to make that formula work for them is not related to the current sales of the comic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Spectralballoons
Acolyte

Pakistan
48 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  12:31:35  Show Profile Send Spectralballoons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, Wh40k has replaced FR, as far as I'm concerned.
>They give their customers gaming material.
So does WoTC. There may be less material, but the average quality is better.
I'm skeptical with regards to whether a movie will actually happen. If it does, let's face it, it probably won't be decent.

Edited by - Spectralballoons on 02 Feb 2018 12:35:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000