Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Current year? It is 1491 officially correct?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  13:07:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't know where I saw it, but I could have sworn somewhere here we concluded that despite the SCAG ending its history notes in 1489, its currently 1491. I'm further guessing that based on this web page, though I can't find anything in the footnotes that actually gives me a year.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/1491_DR

Is it 1491?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  13:19:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Death Masks is set during 1491, so I guess that 1491 is the current date. SKT and ToA should take palce after Death Masks, but Idk whether they advanced the timeline or not.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  14:37:12  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no official "current date". SKT takes place after 1485 but before 1493 (stated in page 13), Rage of Demons takes place around Nightal 1486 and Hammer of 1487 (as is linked with some novels that happen in those years, like the last two of the Brimstone Angels saga, on the next-to-last of Drizzt); the SCAG dates stuff during/after 1489 and before 1492, and as already said Death Masks take place in 1491. It also believed that the Tyranny of Dragons adventures happen in 1491. There is no date for ToA.

So, we know the minimum current year is 1485, and the maximum 1493.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  14:48:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

There is no official "current date". SKT takes place after 1485 but before 1493 (stated in page 13), Rage of Demons takes place around Nightal 1486 and Hammer of 1487 (as is linked with some novels that happen in those years, like the last two of the Brimstone Angels saga, on the next-to-last of Drizzt); the SCAG dates stuff during/after 1489 and before 1492, and as already said Death Masks take place in 1491. It also believed that the Tyranny of Dragons adventures happen in 1491. There is no date for ToA.

So, we know the minimum current year is 1485, and the maximum 1493.

ToA and SKT must take place after Death Masks/1491 DR, tho, because they are foreshadowed in that novel.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  15:08:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, by logic, they must happen between 1491 and 1493.

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  21:33:38  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'd extrapolated that the majority of published 5E campaigns (and their respective stories) occur sometime around the early 1490s. Sounds about right.

I don't mind WotC advancing the timeline slightly, but I hope they do it very slowly.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  23:06:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm just trying to play the game of "just how many years have passed since things came back from Abeir". If its a single year, then I imagine the society involved is just still overwhelmed and trying to figure out what just happened and what happened over the past 100 years. However, if its getting onwards to 6 years, they've probably already started interacting with their surrounding territories and maybe even have rebuilt vast swathes. For instance... Unthalass. Is it still just a ruins, or has enough time passed that a decent amount of the city is now habitable (I mean, its not rebuilt, I'd imagine, though magic can speed things up in some ways). I'm not specifically worried about that city so much, but you get where I'm going.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  05:25:41  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Yeah, I'm just trying to play the game of "just how many years have passed since things came back from Abeir". If its a single year, then I imagine the society involved is just still overwhelmed and trying to figure out what just happened and what happened over the past 100 years. However, if its getting onwards to 6 years, they've probably already started interacting with their surrounding territories and maybe even have rebuilt vast swathes. For instance... Unthalass. Is it still just a ruins, or has enough time passed that a decent amount of the city is now habitable (I mean, its not rebuilt, I'd imagine, though magic can speed things up in some ways). I'm not specifically worried about that city so much, but you get where I'm going.

Yes, very true. Didn't the "return to how it was" Sundering era just end sometime around the mid to late 1480s? That would coincide right after the tail end of 4th Edition era I suppose.

I also have timed my 5E campaign to start at least a few years after the end of the Sundering. Maybe 1492 or after.

In that way, there is at least some sense of normalcy in the human countryside and common-folk population. Farmers are farming the fields again without having to worry too much about things like the ground splitting wide open to form huge abyssal chasms and other stupid things. Villages and towns and trade routes and merchant costers have resumed their normal operations once more, etc.

And also I don't worry if this campaign storyline or that (Tyranny of Dragons, Storm Kings Thunder, Princes of Apocalypse) happened in this year or that, since re-shuffling them around by a year or two will not disrupt any DM's personal campaign verisimilitude. For example, my Players are eager to play parts of the Storm Kings Thunder campaign first, even though Tyranny of Dragons was the very first 5e campaign published by WotC (back in 2014).

In fact, we may just skip the Tyranny of Dragons campaign altogether. And in doing so, the PCs in my campaign would simply hear from the tavern bards that "Some other band of heroic adventurers just like yourselves, they managed to defeat dragon-worshippng cultists that nearly brought forth the Queen of Evil Dragons!"

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  14:00:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, current year then is most likely either late 1491 or even 1492/1493. It was in 1487 or thereabouts that all the big transfers started (Shaar filling in being the big one for me, but also the transfers in the old empires). So, saying that, I suppose we should figure on being able to say that five years have passed since the events of the second sundering. I figure there was probably about 2 years of careful isolation, testing the waters, contacting neighbors, rebuilding internally, hoarding new stockpiles against impending calamity, etc... then trade gets started again more frequently, with people trying to learn what their neighbors may or may not need, or what they have.... and now the plotting begins.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  17:23:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and just to throw this out for feedback.... what are some of the things that have generically had to happen throughout the realms. By that, I mean for instance, that along the coast of the inner sea, we've seen a general raising of the sea. So, docks and shops that were previously in use are now underwater. Areas that were docks pre-spellplague were probably converted to housing/shops, but are now possibly flooded, or now possibly "sea side property". What has this caused? Its got to be a lot more effort to REMOVE houses and docks that are underwater than what happened post spellplague (i.e. build the new docks, etc..).

What other things might be going on? Road reconstruction? New Mines? Did the lack of essential docks cause pirate crews to fall apart? Are undersea races being paid handsomely by land races to tear apart structures? Did the sudden influx of lands cause shifts in the inner sea that were sudden rather than gradual (for instance, if Laothkund pops back into place along the Wizard's Reach, would that send a wave towards Chessenta... if the coastline where Shussel/Mourktar/Messemprar previously existed pops back into place, did a wave of water shoot towards Mulhorand ).

By the way, I'm heavily going with the concept that "Mourktar" in 4e was a new city rebuilt and named by survivors who fled to ships during the spellplague. Thus, we may have two "Mourktars" now, one which is now landbound. Given that the description of the one (that would be landbound now) in the Brotherhood of the Griffin novel didn't include the temple to Bane, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 17 Dec 2017 17:28:15
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  18:22:16  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also the fact that the land "increased size" and "distances are longer now" (I know, it was a joke, but it was written in the History section of the SCAG, so it happened, joke or not). This also means re-mapping areas, exploration, new settlements being founded, etc. I can see kingdoms re-negotiating borderlands and that stuff, as well.

I see you're a bit focused in the Old Empires area, and this means you also have to think of three other things:

1. How the Tymanther-Unther conflict is going? In 1489 (SCAG minimum current year), it was still a pretty hot conflict (with Unther still on the losing side). This would mean defining not only the status of the war by 1492/93 (is still ongoing? it ended?—who win, and what won, if that happened—or there is a truce?), but also stuff like defining borderlands and contested areas, the political stance of nearby countries, and such stuff...

2. How are the Mulhorandi rebuilding efforts going? The Mulhorandi rulers were pretty focused on this by 1489. I can see really a lot of progress by 92/93, but there is also the fact that certain dragons in Murghôm and Semphar would want to be independent, as they have been for the last century.

3. Current status of Akanűl. We do know Airspur remained as in 4e but, what happaned with the rest of Akanűl? And how is its current relationship with the now-fragmented Chessenta? (And why people believe Akanűl is part of Chessenta now? as per the SCAG, at least)

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 17 Dec 2017 18:26:43
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  18:51:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

There is also the fact that the land "increased size" and "distances are longer now" (I know, it was a joke, but it was written in the History section of the SCAG, so it happened, joke or not). This also means re-mapping areas, exploration, new settlements being founded, etc. I can see kingdoms re-negotiating borderlands and that stuff, as well.

I see you're a bit focused in the Old Empires area, and this means you also have to think of three other things:

1. How the Tymanther-Unther conflict is going? In 1489 (SCAG minimum current year), it was still a pretty hot conflict (with Unther still on the losing side). This would mean defining not only the status of the war by 1492/93 (is still ongoing? it ended?—who win, and what won, if that happened—or there is a truce?), but also stuff like defining borderlands and contested areas, the political stance of nearby countries, and such stuff...

2. How are the Mulhorandi rebuilding efforts going? The Mulhorandi rulers were pretty focused on this by 1489. I can see really a lot of progress by 92/93, but there is also the fact that certain dragons in Murghôm and Semphar would want to be independent, as they have been for the last century.

3. Current status of Akanűl. We do know Airspur remained as in 4e but, what happaned with the rest of Akanűl? And how is its current relationship with the now-fragmented Chessenta? (And why people believe Akanűl is part of Chessenta now? as per the SCAG, at least)

Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from the Tymanther/Unther conflict, other than to have certain areas that were once independent Threskel actually being part of Unther now (by that I mean the cities of Thamor and Mourktar). However, even that, I'm stating in my head, and not on paper.

I agree on the Mulhorand thing too. I think they should be very much advancing their rebuilding efforts. On the Semphar/Murghom piece, I'm not opening that can of worms (wyrms?) either, but in my head, I like the idea of a conflict in which new incarnations are literally taking on dragons in said countries. I like the idea of dragons being captured and brought back to be sacrificed on altars. It may seem a little grim, but.... coloring it in the idea of justice?

On Akanul, I am having 3 city states of western Chessenta return from Abeir.

The first, Cimbar, will be a mostly human population (45%), but with a very sizable dragonborn population (35%), and a decent genasi population (15%). They will ostensibly be a part of the new "tharch of the Wizard's Reach", and their main concern will be with the Chessentan city of Erebos nearby. One of the Aulkirs of the tharch, one Samathar of the long ago "League of Samathar", has a beef with the Sceptanar of Erebos who has ties to Tchazzar. However, the people of this city, now that they are home, are not necessarily enthralled with magocratic rule (they have no problems with mages, just the idea of them ruling).

The second, Soorenar, will also be a mostly human population (60% human), 35% genasi, and a ton of special awakened undead. This city will probably open negotiations with Akanul, but not sure if Akanul will like them with their focus on death magic in the city. They will also be a part of the tharch of the Wizard's Reach.

The third city, Akanax, will be a a mostly human population, but a lot of others (elves, half-elves, drow, half-drow, centaurs, wemics, etc...). They HATE genasi... they fought them in Shyr... they won't like Akanul. This city state also isn't part of any tharch, and its two rulers for a short time will have been inhabited by the spirits of Ramman and Inanna, and their worship will be strong here. This will put them in conflict religiously with the nearby city of Chessentan warriors, Pandrick, which worships Assuran, but used to be Akanaxian people.

Oh, and I'm bringing back Mordulkin as a captured city filled with genasi of Shyr and OTHER races from Shyr (not detailed yet), and this will be a target for the Jedean family that migrated to Laothkund.

I will also note that my tharch of the wizard's reach may have internal problems, because the faction that was in Abeir in Laothkund wasn't necessarily evil... many were in fact good.... however, with their return they're attempting to join with the remaining red wizards in Escalant.... who aren't necessarily evil, but definintely aren't good.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  20:21:44  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And also some regions, the waters receded and land is reclaimed. For example, the Halfling Shires of Luiren are no longer underwater. So there are now vast tracts of land for the halflings to farm and cultivate. But what if local goblins and gnolls also want a piece of that land?
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  22:24:29  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from the Tymanther/Unther conflict, other than to have certain areas that were once independent Threskel actually being part of Unther now (by that I mean the cities of Thamor and Mourktar). However, even that, I'm stating in my head, and not on paper.

Believe me. I'm scratching my head to deal with this situation in the year 1492 (my current year). That is like 4 years afters the last known battle... I guess I'm going to draw ideas from Warcraft.

quote:

I agree on the Mulhorand thing too. I think they should be very much advancing their rebuilding efforts. On the Semphar/Murghom piece, I'm not opening that can of worms (wyrms?) either, but in my head, I like the idea of a conflict in which new incarnations are literally taking on dragons in said countries. I like the idea of dragons being captured and brought back to be sacrificed on altars. It may seem a little grim, but.... coloring it in the idea of justice?

How strong are the Mullhorandi right now? They won the rebellion, yeah. That doesn't mean they got unharmed. Perhaps they military power is not as powerful to be a threat to Semphar and Murghom (realms I do like, because there are a lot of humano-centric countries in the Realms, so I like to preserve the few ones that are not; to add variety).

AFAIK, the Mulhurandi also sealed the borders with Unther and Tymanther because of their prolonged war, and that means they also are expending a lot of military power in this task.

Perhaps the better solution is to enter in a diplomatic agreement with Tymanther (as I really doubt they are willing to negotiate with Gilgeam, and even so, I doubt Gilgeam would do it).

As for the red wizards... that seems interesting. But I fear a Red Wizards of Szam vs Tharchs Red Wizards will start sooner, and that is a can of wyrms worse that Tymanther and Unther.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  01:08:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm specifically pushing the conflict with Tam and the Wizard's Reach. However, Tam has to be careful. Sure, what I'm calling those Tharchs is relatively small, and even with the nearby Peleveran tharch, it wouldn't be bad. However, what he'll find out as he researches is that a LOT of big names are in these various tharchs, and several of them are ones that he thought he handled (my final release will have Mythrell'aa, Yaphyll, Dmitra Flass, Lallara, Lauzoril (twice).... and that's just the former Zulkirs he knew... I'll also be throwing in some other big names, some from the past (Zulkir Jorgmacdon, Zulkir Ythazz Buvarr the demilich, Samathar of the league of Samathar, some from other areas (Vermissa from the Complete Necromancer in 2nd edition who I'm turning into a mage-priestess, Hercubes Jedea of Mordulkin). Basically, I'm going to have each tharch having a ruling council of 13 (1 tharchion, 8 zulkirs/aulkirs of the 8 orders of magic, and 4 lesser thulkir/khazir of other arcane pursuits) all of whom are 14th lvl and up, with 9 such tharchs, so I figured I could use that to rescue some folks that could be used. I mean why throw out a perfectly usable archmage only to make up some other one just because a century passed.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000