Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Can anyone identify this spell ?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Realms Voyager
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2017 :  21:56:52  Show Profile Send Realms Voyager a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In Dissolution the 1st book in the War of the Spider Queen book series Quenthel Baenre fights a demon sent by her brother Gromph that is the absolute personification of chaos. It has no set shape and can affect nearby beings just by simple proximity. Initially Quenthel manages to wound it several times with a spell that seems to be the 9th level arcane spell called the Black Blade of Destruction (which as far as I know is an arcane spell so how did Qhenthel manage to cast it since she is a priestess with no arcane spellcasting ability ? Even from a scroll.). This is a movable planar rift so its "edge" is perfectly sharp. The chaos demon manages to take control of the spell and use it aginst Quenthel so she then uses another scroll that creates an area dominated by Law which is the antithesis of Chaos and this makes the chaos demon vulnerable to an ordinary weapon (an apparently nonmagical crossbow). Qhenthel then destroys the chaos demon with that simple crossbow. Does anyone know what spell she used to create the region of Law ? Is it an arcane or divine spell ?

Kind regards

Realms Voyager

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2017 :  01:38:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
........... times liek this I wish I had that 4e menzoborean book... or one of the 2e/3.x underdark books....
use magical device skill would allow her to use an arcane scroll.

the spell could be circle protection against chaos or a plot spell that is not named.

either way bbod is arcane and circle protection of family are both arcane and divine.

that also said,there are spells in the realms that are so rare that they are not listed anywhere; like that one harpell who had a variant of one of tensers work

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 13 Dec 2017 01:38:33
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2017 :  08:45:48  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks to me like it's "cinematic mode", as I call it, and away from the game system rules. To kill a significant demon with a mundane crossbow, that crossbow would need a insane critical (that's not Quenthel specialization), or instant-kill abilitie on it (even temporarely).

I remember a third edition spell that would remove/lower immunities and resistances from a creature (an exterior or a dragon, IIRC), but I can't manage to find it. There is one that negates undead immunities in Libris Mortis... There are also a few law-aligned power that might impede a chaos creature. You could imagine a combinaison of Dictum and coup-de-grāce againt the paralyzed demon (but it's level-dependant).

But something bothers me. Isn't Quentel chaos aligned ? She shouldn't be able to cast a law spell, then, hm ?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6640 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2017 :  08:59:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first spell is "Black Blade of Disaster" which is a wizard spell and Quenthel shouldn't be able to cast. But hey, she may have prayed for and received the clerical version.

I reckon the second spell is "Subvert Planar Essence" from Complete Divine.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2017 :  09:56:04  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George KrashosI reckon the second spell is "Subvert Planar Essence" from Complete Divine.

Exactly ! That's the one I thought about.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  05:29:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as what spells Quenthel can cast as a priestess of Lolth, there is a simple answer. Lolth does not follow rules. Any rules. Certainly not the rules about what spells she should or should not allow her high priestesses access to; now why she might have such a spell memorized ahead of time is another question, but we can just write that off to divine inspiration :)
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  07:51:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thojan Ralwens

This looks to me like it's "cinematic mode", as I call it, and away from the game system rules.
[...]
But something bothers me. Isn't Quentel chaos aligned ? She shouldn't be able to cast a law spell, then, hm ?

Yup. It looks like another thing the author did not bother to check.
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The first spell is "Black Blade of Disaster" which is a wizard spell and Quenthel shouldn't be able to cast. But hey, she may have prayed for and received the clerical version.

She cast everything from scrolls, though it's mostly back to the same.
The second raises a question about divine scrolls from non-allied deities.
The problem is, the book not only didn't mention Black Blade of Disaster as the clerical variant of an arcane spell, it says "known only to the priestesses of Lolth". Which is from The Drow of the Underdark, so mostly it looks like Byers perused tables of content, but never read actual details of the rules (at this point, anyway).
WotC series are rather sloppy IMO, if not nearly as sloppy as LP.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 19 Dec 2017 07:54:15
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  09:52:43  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
funny thing though the fr wiki does not show a divine variant of bbod ...

umd skill will allow her to use arcane spell scrolls. and I would asssume her stats would have her with ranks in it.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  16:36:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She cast the ultimate Divine Magic spell (requested not from Lolth, but from the even greater god, Aw-tharr) - Summon Plot-Armor.

Seriously, is it any worse than, "Mighty dragon defeats and takes-over entire dwarf kingdom, and keeps elven kingdom scared and at-bay for centuries, but little ranger dude shoots single (non-magical) arrow at it and kills it" (what? You thought I was talking about Mithral Hall there for a moment?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Dec 2017 16:39:11
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  19:22:35  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

"Mighty dragon defeats and takes-over entire dwarf kingdom, and keeps elven kingdom scared and at-bay for centuries, but little ranger dude shoots single (non-magical) arrow at it and kills it" (what? You thought I was talking about Mithral Hall there for a moment?)

Wasn't the black arrow supposed to be a one-of-a-kind ever-returning forged-by-dwarf-king arrow ? ^^

But indeed I agree with you. I usually use that "cinematic mode" whenever a player rolls a 20 or describe a brilliant RP interaction. In a story that would be in a climatic encounter. Game rules are just a canevas, after all.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  19:53:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

She cast the ultimate Divine Magic spell (requested not from Lolth, but from the even greater god, Aw-tharr) - Summon Plot-Armor.

Seriously, is it any worse than, "Mighty dragon defeats and takes-over entire dwarf kingdom, and keeps elven kingdom scared and at-bay for centuries, but little ranger dude shoots single (non-magical) arrow at it and kills it" (what? You thought I was talking about Mithral Hall there for a moment?)

It's called a critical hit.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000