Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What ever happened to Godsbane?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  11:27:16  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm playing around with the idea of the PCs fighting Xvim pre-ascension to proper godhood (possibly foiling him in Buying Time), and I was thinking of cool things to do, such as finding the remains of Godsbane in the Astral Plane or something, but is there any canon about what actually happened to the remains of Godsbane?

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  14:31:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Godsbane was revealed to be Mask, in disguise.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  14:47:03  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know, but what happened to the remains of the sword after Cyric snaps it? Did that disappear?

Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  18:01:02  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Cyric absorbed the intrigue portfolio out of Mask by destroying Godsbane, I would say that the remains of the sword are pretty dried out. I don't recall anything about the leftovers in the books.

You could easily imagine some latent power into these and have them reforged by a character to gain favor from Mask and enmity from Cyric.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  19:13:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure the sword was Mask's body.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  22:00:52  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed Mask occupied the sword as he would a body, but I didn't take it litteraly, as if his body had been broken in two when the sword was shattered. I thought more of it as its power/essence, hence the lost of the portfolio.

And I found this in the "Prince of Lies" novel:

quote:
Kelemvor tossed the broken halves of Godsbane into the Slith. A magnificent plume of darkness erupted from each piece as it hit the fetid water, but the billowing shadows faded when the river swallowed up the blade. "My prison is gone. Together we can shatter the chains Cyric forged for you, the links of suffering and tyranny that make this place a realm of strife. Strike the first blow for freedom! Open the gates!"

Actually, as I read the book again, the loss of the portfolio might be because of the Cyrinishad. But I would argue the breaking of Mask's avatar is more symbolic.

Edited by - Thojan Ralwens on 11 Dec 2017 22:01:16
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2017 :  00:00:20  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And wasn't Mask hiding from Kezef at the time? Been quite a while since I've read the ToT.
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2017 :  08:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thojan Ralwens

Indeed Mask occupied the sword as he would a body, but I didn't take it litteraly, as if his body had been broken in two when the sword was shattered. I thought more of it as its power/essence, hence the lost of the portfolio.

And I found this in the "Prince of Lies" novel:

quote:
Kelemvor tossed the broken halves of Godsbane into the Slith. A magnificent plume of darkness erupted from each piece as it hit the fetid water, but the billowing shadows faded when the river swallowed up the blade. "My prison is gone. Together we can shatter the chains Cyric forged for you, the links of suffering and tyranny that make this place a realm of strife. Strike the first blow for freedom! Open the gates!"

Actually, as I read the book again, the loss of the portfolio might be because of the Cyrinishad. But I would argue the breaking of Mask's avatar is more symbolic.

That's fantastic, cheers! Trying to search for the two shards of Godsbane along the banks of Styx/River of Blood/the Slith sounds like a nice Sunday stroll for the adventurers! :D

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2017 :  10:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this idea to reforge Godsbane as an adventure :-)

quote:

He coud have just possessed the real sword.
I have also always thought about how was Mask able to get into the big picture as a sword. When we take into account how able were other gods at the time and that none of them had clues of what is going to happen then Mask just happened to be at the right time on the right place... seems suspicious to me.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2017 :  12:13:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

I like this idea to reforge Godsbane as an adventure :-)

quote:

He coud have just possessed the real sword.
I have also always thought about how was Mask able to get into the big picture as a sword. When we take into account how able were other gods at the time and that none of them had clues of what is going to happen then Mask just happened to be at the right time on the right place... seems suspicious to me.

I've been saying that Mask and Leira were working together. They had a secret agenda, and POSSIBLY it was in service to Ao.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2017 :  13:19:48  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
I've been saying that Mask and Leira were working together. They had a secret agenda, and POSSIBLY it was in service to Ao.

Are you saying it was a one big lie? Or perhaps Mask was part of the theft and therefore knew exactly what to look for. If gods had only one opportunity to choose their avatar form than saying that yours will be immobile object is a huge risk unless you know somebody will have a reason to interact with you...
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2017 :  16:13:32  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Are you saying it was a one big lie? Or perhaps Mask was part of the theft and therefore knew exactly what to look for. If gods had only one opportunity to choose their avatar form than saying that yours will be immobile object is a huge risk unless you know somebody will have a reason to interact with you...

Well, I've theorized previously that Mask and Leira may be Cyric's parents... So, Mask (in the form of Godsbane) and Leira (in the form of Cyrinishad) could have secretly been protecting their son AND secretly serving AO simultaneously... Sounds about right for the gods of Lies, Intrigue, and Illusions...

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2017 :  16:29:52  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Khaelieth
That's fantastic, cheers! Trying to search for the two shards of Godsbane along the banks of Styx/River of Blood/the Slith sounds like a nice Sunday stroll for the adventurers! :D

This is a Great Adventure Idea!

One of the few places that the Styx passes through that isn't the first level of one of the Lower Planes, is the fifth level of the Nine Hells, Stygia...

Perhaps one piece is buried in the sands of Set's domain, while one piece is embedded within the frozen glacier that surrounds Levistus...
But, to get to either of these places they must get past the Terrifying Devourer of the Deep, Sekolah...

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Edited by - Cyrinishad on 14 Dec 2017 16:31:01
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2017 :  23:51:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Leira "died" because "godslayer" killed her, no?

Idea Leira didn't die. She faked her death and was instead willing pulled into godslayer. Later, she BECAME the Cyrinishad and turned Cyric insane.

Later, Cyric kills off the temporary placeholder Mystra that Ao had set in place which helps kickstart the spellplague that Ao wanted for some reason. This kicks Leira and Mask into Abeir, where they work for Ao putting some hidden tricks in place for the primordials there (because Ao isn't truly as all powerful as he says).

Meanwhile, possibly Ao's shadow (a relic known as the Shadow of Ao) becomes accessible to him in the Returned Abeir region known as Melabrauth.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2017 :  08:53:16  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

quote:
Originally posted by Khaelieth

This is a Great Adventure Idea!

One of the few places that the Styx passes through that isn't the first level of one of the Lower Planes, is the fifth level of the Nine Hells, Stygia...

Perhaps one piece is buried in the sands of Set's domain, while one piece is embedded within the frozen glacier that surrounds Levistus...
But, to get to either of these places they must get past the Terrifying Devourer of the Deep, Sekolah...

Then you have to reforge the blade in the fires of the Elemental Plane of Fire.

The power of the blade will be much diminished, but it still bears vestiges of Mask's power. Imbued with a part of Mask, it is still capable of hiding the bearer from the gods and sneak past their defences.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000