Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Questions about The Transformed Church of Bane
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
498 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2017 :  15:26:19  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I got thinking recently. I meant to ask this at Gen Con but I thought it was too loaded of a question for such.
1) Did the Transformed Church survive the Spellplague and or the Sundering?
2) Were Wizards the only accepted arcane spellcasting in the Church or were Sorcerers and/or Warlocks accepted into it?
3) Would the Divine Wizard (and or Divine Sorcerer) substitution features from Complete Champion work well for those arcanists within the Transformed Church?

Mod edit: The title is a fixed length... Changed "concerning" to "about" so that the subject would no longer be referring to the deity known as "Ban"

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Nov 2017 17:11:14

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2017 :  04:33:27  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd imagine that Bane wouldn't really care. Enchanters and sorcerers specialized in enchantment magic would probably be the most well-favored.
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2017 :  15:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were three branches of Banes church before ToT:
Orthodox banites - cleric ruled church with base in Vast, Sembia and Mulmaster where was their center
Transformed banites - Zhentarim connected branch ruled by wizards from Zhentil Keep
True banites - southern branch around Mourktar and Thay, considered themselves separate in leadership

After ToT and return of the Bane there was a big reconsiliation between Cyricist and returned Bane worshipers. Fzoul was made chosen of Bane and Transformed banites become new orthodox and basicaly wiped out old orthodox church (killing their leader High Imperceptor, claiming Mulmaster). True banites remained separate but only due to long distance and more pressing needs in Moonsea area.
So to answer your question - yes they survived and more. They become the centeral authority of Bane worship. I would presume that all arcane casters would be accepted but not based on their class but on their merit for the church of Bane. Divine substitution would indeed work well.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2017 :  21:03:07  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any idea which Banite "faction" would typically be encountered in 5th Edition Sword Coast areas?

I'm sure they have small enclaves somewhere in the Sword Coast or Western Heartlands. Just not sure how to go about running them. Would they be allied to the (west coast) Zhents? Would the west coast Banites be mostly led by clergy, warrior-priests, or power-hungry mages?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2017 :  22:12:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Any idea which Banite "faction" would typically be encountered in 5th Edition Sword Coast areas?

I'm sure they have small enclaves somewhere in the Sword Coast or Western Heartlands. Just not sure how to go about running them. Would they be allied to the (west coast) Zhents? Would the west coast Banites be mostly led by clergy, warrior-priests, or power-hungry mages?

I'd say that they would be a mix. One cell swings one way, one swings another... Etc. Basically, pick what works for you and run with it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000