Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A tree grows in Myth Drannor? No, not that one
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2017 :  23:22:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From Lost Empires of Faerun

Nether Scrolls: Two sets of nether scrolls exist, each consisting of fifty individual scrolls. One complete set lies in the depths of Windsong Tower in the ruins of Myth Drannor, where it takes the form of a golden beech tree known as the Quess At Teranthvar (Golden Grove of Hidden Knowledge).

Never noticed this before. Any info on this tree? Like how do you get a scroll from it? Do they grow as leaves and then fade? And of course, "did it survive", to which I bet the answer is "if you like".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2017 :  23:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a school/academy of magic. Info for it is in the Anauroch: The Empire of Shade adventure book as I recall. I'm not by my computer or books to tell you much about it but given that it is a 3.5e adventure book, I'd say some of it survived to the reclaiming of the city.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  00:27:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, and in that it says

Now that they have defeated the Zhents and the Shadovars (see Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land), the PCs must keep the enemies from utilizing the Nether Scrolls in their nefarious plans. Thus, their next stop is Myth Drannor, where the only remaining full set of the Nether Scrolls lies below Windsong Tower. The Shadovars have beaten the PCs to the punch, however, and the scrolls are already gone. The scrolls’ last remaining guardian, Darcassan the Farseer, has been using dream spells to project a cryptic message of loss, in the hope of attracting adventurers who will return the scrolls.

Hmmm, and then later apparently the Chalice of Amaunator is used to burn the trees which were being turned into shadow weave items with "liquid sun". One might say that this use of Amaunator's power to transform such powerful artifacts of Mystra may have helped wake him up further. You know, I bought this module and never read it because the edition changed and 4e left me non-plussed. I may go back and read through it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  00:31:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, and the tree melts into "semi-molten metal" and the nether scrolls are scattered.... wonder what that metal could be turned into in the right hands.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  01:38:23  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

From Lost Empires of Faerun
[...] Quess At Teranthvar (Golden Grove of Hidden Knowledge).
Never noticed this before. Any info on this tree? Like how do you get a scroll from it?

That's the whole point - you don't. Scrolls were transformed into shape pleasant to the elves and hindering access of all those inferior creatures.
Not that it stopped everyone (see below).
quote:
And of course, "did it survive", to which I bet the answer is "if you like".

It was made of Nether Scrolls twisted by High Magic. How do you think?

quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

Its a school/academy of magic. Info for it is in the Anauroch: The Empire of Shade adventure book as I recall.

And a lot more in Cormanthyr, of course.

quote:
569 (Year of Tumbled Bones)
Ecamane Truesilver becomes an apprentice of Deynriir the Silver Sorcerer. Unknown to him at the time, Ecamane also secretly becomes an acolyte of Windsong Tower under his moon-elven tutor.
572 (Year of Writhing Darkness)
Zaor Moonflower is born in Semberholme.
580 (Year of Loose Coins)
Ecamane Truesilver becomes one of the first humans to learn of the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar and gain knowledge from it. After ten months of meditation with the artifact, Ecamane leaves Windsong Tower, his hair prematurely white due to the magics and wisdom he gained from the transformed Nether Scrolls.
- p.41

The Quess’Ar’Teranthvar
Though the name has lengthened and the form severely altered, the lost magical relics of Netheril reside here: the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar,
the "Golden Grove of Hidden Knowledge," are the mutated remnants of the long-ago stolen Nether Scrolls!
The Nether scrolls were secreted away from their keepers in Netheril in the 326th Year of that realm, and brought to the
High Mages of Cormanthyr for safe-keeping. For centuries, the humans' fabulous leaps in magic had far outstripped the
advancement of any elf in Faerun's history. The theft of these Nether scrolls, as the humans called them, would teach the
elves how the humans cast (and survived) such abuse of the Art, and it also would minimize the further spreading of such
knowledge among the humans.
While the knowledge within could easily be read in their scroll forms, the elves found that the information had to be
learned in sequence (i.e., the first set must be read at least once and understood partially before moving on to the second
set). They also learned that each race that looked upon the scrolls found out new and different information; in fact, one
of the chief thieves of the scrolls was Rilmohx Sha'Quessir, the gnome elf-friend who learned incredible secrets of illusions
from only the briefest of readings of the scrolls. In addition, within a year of studying the scrolls, an early elven
scholar found that re-examination of the scrolls revealed even more information than previously found within them. Over
time, the elves found that experience and more knowledge (i.e., an increase in Intelligence or Wisdom) allowed more
awareness of what the Nether Scrolls contained. The elves also saw hidden learning among those writings that could be
revealed only by altering the scrolls into something more inherently and deeply elven in nature. This planned transformation
also would serve to keep other races from understanding or gleaning further information from them, thus minimizing
the potential damage to the Weave.
A High Mage named Tyvollus Aluviirsaan transformed the metal scrolls into the form they now wear: A slim, golden
beech tree with golden metal leaves, its roots spreading out across the surface it rests upon, and its trunk bark forming a
face of a treant. Within the tree's branches are a small silver bird with an electrum beak and a snake with alternating gold,
silver, and electrum scales. (Some elves describe these two creatures as the voices of Corellon and Mystra, the two gods
responsible for elven magic.) This grove has five communication modes with which to teach elves the secrets of the Nether
Scrolls; despite the changes in forms, the information is much the same as that imparted by the Nether Scrolls, though there
are some perks and differences for the elves.
[...]
- p.158-159

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  03:30:53  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves, p. 158 gives you pretty much everything you need to know. In my homebrew I expanded how the scrolls work in this fashion for other races. For dwarves, it would take the form of an underground grotto with veins of gold and various minerals in the walls. By meditating on the patterns of the veins and minerals they would acquire magical knowledge.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 06 Nov 2017 03:32:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000