Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is There Faerunian Chocolate?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2017 :  06:57:29  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
And if so where does it reside?

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2017 :  07:20:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If cocoa beans are available anywhere, I would imagine it would be Maztica.

However, I'm just guessing here. I'm sure someone already "asked Ed" (I recall questions about candy a long time ago).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2017 :  08:30:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed mentions chocolate in his various threads but provides no details as to where the cocoa beans are most plentiful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2017 :  11:09:35  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC chocolate or cocoa beans were mentioned somewhere in one of the Al-Qadim products as well.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2017 :  13:24:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Maztica boxed set, so this is specific to Maztica

The basic coin of the land is the cocoa bean. Its value varies depending upon rarity and need, but for purposes of the game it can be considered the rough equivalent of the copper piece.

This value is consistent for both sides of the Trackless Sea. The introduction of the bitter Maztican chocolate to the Sword Coast has been an unqualified success from an economic and culinary point of view. However, cocoa beans on the Sword Coast will generally have to be sold to a spice dealer for their equivalent in coinage, they are not accepted in use by most merchants and vendors.

This means that before the spellplague there was chocolate. After the spellplague, most likely not. After the Sundering and the return of Maztica..... well, let's just say that my homebrew new "Tharch of Peleveran" in the Shaar has some, shall we say, "exclusive" trade paths, and a hundred years of having been adapting chocolate into other forms..... chocolate popcorn, caramel popcorn, white chocolate, milk chocolate (because the mazticans didn't have a lot of milkable animals), chocolate covered almonds, peanuts, chocolate and/or caramel covered apples and pears...... the red wizards come back, and they are bringing candy for the little children. There are so many little ways to win the hearts and minds my friend.... hearts and minds.... did I mention that Lauzoril is one of heading up Peleveran.... former head of the Imperialist party, and yet he was noted as not wanting to topple other people militarily, but via other means.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 02 Nov 2017 13:40:34
Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2017 :  15:07:11  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! I figured Toril was the gameworld to hit up if chocolate was to be found.

Thanks all.

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  23:52:52  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also appears in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue being from Maztica.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  12:11:29  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In reference to Artemis Entreri's post: they are mentioned in those products because in the Al-Quadim culture making coffee is considered something of an art. I usually liken the process to the tea ceremonies of Japan (though likely not quite so complex). The 'king' of the region is said to brew a fine cup of coffee.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  22:17:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I'd always thought that - overlooking differences in size - halflings and Belgians are fully interchangeable. Thus the need for halfling chocolates!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  11:09:26  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the old shires of Luiren were close enough to Zakhara, I'd wager that the Hin would have picked up a fondness for coffee, and may have learned coffee cultivation in their numerous farms and plantations.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  13:52:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Since the old shires of Luiren were close enough to Zakhara, I'd wager that the Hin would have picked up a fondness for coffee, and may have learned coffee cultivation in their numerous farms and plantations.

And thus the great Coffee Cheeeese trend was started

https://thejolipantry.com/2015/12/10/kaffeost-coffee-cheese/

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/j5qgd3/people-dunk-this-cheese-in-their-morning-coffee

I heard the mix of coffee stimulant and Cheeeese relaxant produced some odd results.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  14:13:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forget that, I now want to know if there is peanut butter in the Realms!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  16:27:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I found this: https://www.sageadvice.eu/?s=peanuts

quote:
@JcorvinstevensI’m working on an Adventure and I need to know – are peanuts native to the Forgotten Realms? Who better to ask! Yes, but they're known as "groundnuts" or "daramma." Vilhon Reach is one good growing area. — Ed Greenwood (@TheEdVerse) August 2, 2016

So it appears likely. Though not everything found on the internet is true.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  17:25:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New item available at Aurora's: Wooly's Peanut-Butter Cups!

There's no wrong way to eat one (I ate mine off the back of a dead orc!)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Nov 2017 17:25:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  18:26:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

New item available at Aurora's: Wooly's Peanut-Butter Cups!

There's no wrong way to eat one (I ate mine off the back of a dead orc!)

And due to some proprietary food preparation magics, Wooly's Peanut-Butter Cups are free of that flaw that plagues their more well-known competitor: Ours don't leave a little bit of chocolate in the center of the cup!

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  18:55:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we know they have corn.... have they made corn syrup yet. If so, it might be interesting, from an artistic standpoint... can they make sugar glass. Going to bet the answer is no on both. Just picturing some interesting cakes and such where they might decorate them with a sugar glass sculpture that has had dye added to color it. House emblems, monster sculptures, etc... kind of like how people do ice sculptures, but it won't melt.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  19:05:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering the ability of some folks to travel to other worlds, I think their knowledge of things like chemistry, biology, etc would be FAR greater than that of RW late-medieval sages. I can easily see a Planeshopping Mage who is also a bit of a connoisseur bringing back all sorts of odd delicacies from 'strange worlds' (and Earth's pretty damn strange - have you ever seen molecular gastronomy?)

I can see the next bash held by Eldathans featuring a 'chocolate fountain'.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Nov 2017 19:06:11
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  22:31:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And due to some proprietary food preparation magics, Wooly's Peanut-Butter Cups are free of that flaw that plagues their more well-known competitor: Ours don't leave a little bit of chocolate in the center of the cup!
Great. Wooly Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  23:34:56  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He operates out of Waterdeep, but have branches in many other places

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2017 :  00:45:18  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a Golden Ticket! I've got a Golden Ticket!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2017 :  02:16:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, but this has to become canon in my Realms (except I'm going to call him 'Wooly W@nker', master chocolatier).

He also happens to be an extremely rare werehamster.

I know there 's a terrible joke in there somewhere, regarding gerbals... and chocolate...

EDIT:
And now I have this picture in my head of The Simbul as Veruca Salt, singing, "I want it now!"

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Nov 2017 02:19:53
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2017 :  03:18:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that escalated quickly.

Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2017 :  04:57:37  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forget that, I now want to know if there is peanut butter in the Realms!

According to thishttp://www.emulsifiers.org/ViewDocument.asp?ItemId=9 the earliest emulsifier was beeswax so one imagines peanut butter to be possible.

Wikipedia also tells me that peanut paste might have been used as a toothache remedy by the Aztecs.

To my mind it wouldn't be too far a stretch for some hungry alchemist mixing imported foods along the Sword Coast to finely blend the two and eat/sell the results.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2017 :  09:28:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, that escalated quickly.

Well, Wooly Wonka's Chocolate Factory would be rather easy to fit into the Realms (assuming the existence of chocolate). Filled with gnomish machinery, singing (or ritualistically chanting?) Brownie-loompas, extraplanar rivers of flowing delights, everlasting candy treats, illusions and magics galore, etc. And, unlike our world, the Realms could also offer opportunities in confectionary markets related to construction (all those witches who live in candy houses).

Much more fitting, I think, than shoehorning more unoriginal adaptations of Alice in Wonderland or The Tempest.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2017 :  17:38:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, ummm... spray-tanned halfling factory workers, A gnomish (SJ) sidewheeler in a river of chocolate, and a 'carrionette theater' (and newly added hospital & burn center).

Their latest invention - 'Imaskar Balls', otherwise know as the Everlasting Godstopper.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Nov 2017 17:38:53
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2017 :  19:45:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somehow I get the feeling that if you want a Golden Ticket then you've gotta go through Mirt.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2017 :  21:45:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, ummm... spray-tanned halfling factory workers, A gnomish (SJ) sidewheeler in a river of chocolate, and a 'carrionette theater' (and newly added hospital & burn center).

NO. Those Oompa-Loompas were freaky. I'd go with the Deep Roy-style Oompa-Loompas.

Not sure where to find those in the Realms, though... D'hin'ni, mayhaps?

quote:

Their latest invention - 'Imaskar Balls', otherwise know as the Everlasting Godstopper.

Nicely done!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Nov 2017 21:47:14
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2017 :  23:54:43  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You had me at gerbals.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2017 :  17:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my 4e Neverwinter game, I had the dragonborn merchant group from Returned Abeir being quite fond of hot, bitter Mexican-style hot chocolate, served with hot peppers for flavour. They had a cafe they used for business and many intrigues.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  21:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just made this for our first snow here in the NY area and it is beyond delicious. The recipe is super easy and it is soooooo Maztica!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/216166/xocolatl-aztec-chocolate/

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  22:39:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I just made this for our first snow here in the NY area and it is beyond delicious. The recipe is super easy and it is soooooo Maztica!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/216166/xocolatl-aztec-chocolate/

I see the pepper... how spicy is it? I won't have a problem with the spice, but my girlfriend and her daughter might. They have a problem with spicy popeye's chicken that I don't even notice.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000