Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 League of Samathar in Wizard's Reach History
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2017 :  14:09:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, I know that the League of Samathar is listed in Unapproachable East and again in GHotR. I also know that this league was around the wizard's reach/yuirwood/lower escarpment of Thay area. What's the original source except for some timeline entries?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2017 :  15:26:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Timeline entries is it i believe. No mention of who or what samuthar was. Plenty of room to expand, something i intend to do when i move on to chessenta.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  04:04:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always check the FR wiki. It'll at least aim you the right way.

Timeline: 504 DR

Timeline: 679 DR

Timeline: 953 DR

It looks like the primary sources are The Grand History of the Realms and Old Empires .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Oct 2017 04:06:40
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  12:55:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Always check the FR wiki. It'll at least aim you the right way.

Timeline: 504 DR

Timeline: 679 DR

Timeline: 953 DR

It looks like the primary sources are The Grand History of the Realms and Old Empires .

Yeah, I went there. The old empires entries just talk about the uprisings though (as in X cities rose up), not "the League of Samathar". The first entries I can find referencing this league or the name Samathar are just timeline entries in Unapproachable east, but nothing in that product that I can find references who they are.

The main reason I'm interested is timing of Tchazzar's attack in 953 DR being just 31 years after the battle of Thazalhar in 922 DR. It makes me wonder if a lot of the wizards in the wizard's reach didn't aid in and migrate to Thay. It makes me wonder if there wasn't a tacit alliance of sorts between these city states and the new country, but that Tchazzar's assault ends what could have been Thay's control of the entire northern coastline of the Alamber sea.

Also, since the first uprisings against Unther start in Laothkund and Delthuntle, I half wonder if "Samathar" isn't from one of those places (so I'm interested in making him still alive possibly, and if Laothkund "transferred to Abeir" it opens up possibilities... but I want to know if there's anything been said about the man).

From the Old Empires we at least get where things started, if nothing about the league or Samathar

482 DR - Delthuntle and Laothkund break free of Unther.

From what I can tell in Old Empires, the country of Unther was broke and they raised taxes, especially on adventurers recovering treasures from the ruins of Narfell and Raumathar. Laothkund, Delthuntle, and Mourktar rose up in rebellion.

From Old empires, page 4
Unther, which had declined greatly, could not reach the elves of Yuirwood with its traders or its armies. The cost of expansion bankrupted its treasury, and taxes were raised. Rebellions against the taxes were ruthlessly crushed, and harsh laws were brought down to preserve public order. Some of the hardest hit by these taxes and laws were adventurers, who were beginning to bring wealth from the ruins in Narfell and Raumathar and complained most bitterly against the confiscation of most of the fortunes that they fought so hard to acquire. Some of these adventurers turned to freebooting, becoming
pirates in the Sea of Fallen Stars. Others led rebellions in a number of cities hard hit by the tax: Delthuntle, Laothkund, and Mourktar.

Anyway, main interest is "who is Samathar?". Is there any info on him/her at all (I'm assuming him based on the sound of the name... though this could be a family name as well for all I know)? If I do have him surviving, not quite sure how I'll do it yet, but leaning towards staying away from any kind of corporeal dead. So, either as some kind of spirit, ghost, or alive in the flesh by some means, or even "occupying a constructed body". He would be over a thousand years old at this time. Could even have been trapped and the transfer to Abeir "freed him".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  14:37:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im pretty sure ive read in at least one place that the wizards reach did have some involvement with chessentas rebellion.

The wizards reach was actually part of unther at one time so it likely had close ties to the coast of chessenta (also part of unther).

Im having the jedea family come from or have holdings in the wizards reach.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page