Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Adventures City Maps
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2017 :  14:56:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Been doing ... stuff. Is there anyone out there who thinks that they could create a version of the city maps found in the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover for some new cities? I'd be willing to pay naturally, either in $, realmslore or secrets of the Realms, or a combination of all three! PM if you think you can help or know someone who can. Cheers.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2017 :  15:39:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny that you should mention this.

I'm currently at work doing a small city/large town right near Impiltur (one thats not been heard of before). Of course, I was planning on running the lore by you before I did anything with it.

Anyhow, what do you have in mind? I can do at least one. (I just checked that source, and those are pretty easy - way less detail then what I am doing right now.)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Sep 2017 15:39:45
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2017 :  15:50:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now im really intrigued. Are you expanding more on impiltur or could you be expanding your sandbox at last.

If only we all had access to an artist and cartographer.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2017 :  16:58:56  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*drool

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2017 :  02:56:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Funny that you should mention this.

I'm currently at work doing a small city/large town right near Impiltur (one thats not been heard of before). Of course, I was planning on running the lore by you before I did anything with it.

Anyhow, what do you have in mind? I can do at least one. (I just checked that source, and those are pretty easy - way less detail then what I am doing right now.)

I had another, different task in mind for you so I'll drop you a PM.:)

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2017 :  15:25:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There may be a way of taking both our projects, combining them, and turning them into something else. How's Eric doing? Still busy with the new job? Its been like a year, right? All we need right now is an 'adventure guy' to string it all together.

EDIT: New Idea
You're probably not going to like this (I have a feeling you're more adverse to 'change' than I am), but what if Impiltur loses Lyrabar? If its not the capital anymore, why not run with that (because although I am happy the geography is 'restored', I find the whole "everything is as it was" thing patently ridiculous!)

I know your first reaction is going to be "no friggin way" (do they say 'friggin' in Oz?), but hear me out - I never liked Lyrabar. Its not a personal thing - I just found it weird that the only Impiltur city OUTSIDE of Impiltur is the capital. YES, I know its technically within Impiltur, but geographically, it makes little sense - there is a 'pinch point' there with the mountains and coast that separates The Vast from Impiltur, and Lyrabar is on the far side of that. In your new 'North vs South' Impiltur, why not cut it free (this has happened elsewhere in the Realms now)? Maybe its just become 'more trouble than its worth' (since the Spellplague, and the capital no longer being there, its population has fallen off, and maybe its even become a haven for pirates and other illicit activities).

THEN (6e?), you can have a 'return of the king' scenario somewhere down the line, where he (or she) wants to restore the former capital, which most parties would be dead-set against. In fact, you could even have an heir living in the city already, under an alias.

And at the end of the day, is anyone going to really care if the Vast gains one more 'independent citystate'? At least this one will have an interesting history (YES, I know all about Raven's Bluff), and a certain political intrigue going on that the others are missing (a city of 'factions'). Whereas the rest of a 'restored Impiltur' may look at Lyrabar as a 'thorn in their paw' at this point, a returned monarch may decide to 'embrace the thorn', for better or worse (giving us some very cool RPG possibilities there).

One last thing - if the place has 'fallen', and their economy is now heavily based on illicit activity, the government (a returning King) may have to 'walk on eggs' for awhile, because restoring 'Law & Order' could completely tank the place, financially. That would be a tightrope-walk right there (and now that I am thinking fully about this, I think I just gave Impiltur its own version of Marsember... with a twist).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Sep 2017 17:00:41
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2017 :  16:53:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nooooo, dont take George to the dark side, we need him on the right side of the spellplague (ie before it happens, where the real realms is).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2017 :  17:19:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LMAO - I just came back here, because I was going to delete my 'edit', but since you've responded to it, I can't.
I'm still going to move it to the other thread, where its more appropriate, but I'll leave that there, above.

As for 'take him to the dark side' (I'm not even going to make so many jokes right now LMAO), here's the thing (the position I AM IN with the maps, and lore) - even if I do a map 'from the past', I have to take into account future lore, whether I want to or not. I can't just create 'the Grand Palace of the Poobahs" if 5e never heard of any such thing (fortunately, most of the setting is still lore-light, so that hasn't been a problem... much). I have an idea on how to 'save' Lyrabar for 5e, but I have to tweak the past to make it work (and thus-far, I haven't found anything to disagree with what I am thinking so its more of a 'new lore unearthed' kind of thing; NO retcons). In fact, its something I had considered for Sembia, so I am borrowing one of my own ideas (extending it, really).

I have no intention of steering Krash into 'the future' (really, the PRESENT). I just need to keep track of where stuff was (and the altitudes of said terrain), to know how to handle it moving forward. This is something thats never really been done before (pretty poorly in LEoF and GHotR) - knowing what the geography looked like at a certain point in time (because more than just the forests have been changing, for tens of thousands of years). Every single desert - including the Zakharan ones - weren't there originally. AFAIK, only the ones in Maztica are 'natural' (and since I don't know Maz. lore all that well, I could be wrong there). Thats the kind of stuff I have to keep track of - so many continuity gaffs find their way into settings because of that lack.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Sep 2017 17:20:19
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2017 :  17:25:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My project is set pre-Spellplague so Lyrabar stays as is. Everyone else can play with post-Sundering Impiltur - I'm not there yet in many ways, least of all my headspace.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2017 :  17:33:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay, i shall crawl back into my hole and continue to grumble about nuRealms, safe in the knowledge that i am not the only sane person left.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 17 Sep 2017 17:33:26
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  05:37:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost done with Sarshel... only ** more to go...

The regional one will be easy-peasy. I already have something for that.

I only did Sarshel 1st because I had that map from Zeromaru to work from (reverse-engineer, LOL). The only thing I'm worried about is that Sarshel is a minor settlement, and I made it look pretty damn good. Now I have to 'top that' with the bigger cities.

I decided I want to do a city where the buildings spell out something, but the only thing that makes sense would be 'praise be to Io' (ya know, so that the Dragons will leave you alone during the next 'Rage').

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Sep 2017 15:35:48
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  09:58:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I only did Sarshel 1st because I had that map from Zeromaru to work form (reverse-engineer, LOL). The only thing I'm worried about is that Sarshel is a minor settlement, and I made it look pretty damn good. Now I have to 'top that' with the bigger cities.

I decided I want to do a city where the buildings spell out something, but the only thing that makes sense would be 'praise be to Io' (ya know, so that the Dragons will leave you alone during the next 'Rage').

I hope you read my city description! Bugger the LFR map - that's basic, no-lore stuff. And I wouldn't describe Sarshel as a minor settlement. It's a decent sized city. Still, excited to see what you come up with.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  13:05:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know Markustay, I need to give you some props.... your discussions on water flow and flagrant map f'ups made me realize one thing a couple weeks back. For what I was doing in Katashaka, I had made the northern most part a savannah. Then I made some cliffs to separate the savannah from the heavily jungled area. My dumb arse put the jungles on the top of those cliffs, because I thought it would look nicer...... yeah, water goes downhill.... jungles thrive on water... savannahs are low water.... needless to say, I'm turning those cliffs around.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  15:10:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I think even if a person doesn't really know how ecosystems work, a map that is 'wrong' will stick 'feel' wrong to that person on an instinctual level. This is part of the reason why I fell in love with FR - I looked at the maps, and thought, "there are REASONS for this".

I STILL find Anauroch jarring, even though I now know the reasons. Its just so honkin' big, and like, "what the heck is THAT doing there?"

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I only did Sarshel 1st because I had that map from Zeromaru to work form (reverse-engineer, LOL). The only thing I'm worried about is that Sarshel is a minor settlement, and I made it look pretty damn good. Now I have to 'top that' with the bigger cities.

I hope you read my city description! Bugger the LFR map - that's basic, no-lore stuff. And I wouldn't describe Sarshel as a minor settlement. It's a decent sized city. Still, excited to see what you come up with.

-- George Krashos

City... description?
WHAT city description? You sent me something?

On the other hand, i think you'll still find it... Sarshelicious.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Sep 2017 15:36:09
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  00:16:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have sent the stuff through again. Hopefully it lobs up this time. I wondered why you hadn't responded ...

And apologies in advance. It's going to make you change your Sarshel map. A lot.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  03:42:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have sent the stuff through again. Hopefully it lobs up this time. I wondered why you hadn't responded ...

And apologies in advance. It's going to make you change your Sarshel map. A lot.

-- George Krashos

Given Markus's love of playing with maps, I'm inclined to think he won't mind at all -- and will likely thank you for it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  17:15:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Given Markus's love of playing with maps, I'm inclined to think he won't mind at all -- and will likely thank you for it.

There's love and there's painful FR writers/designers that want everything done "right". I'm not sure Mark will thank me, but I'm certainly going to thank him.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  06:57:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When its cities, we don't call it "making changes to the map", we call it "urban renewal".

I don't know if what I have is what you pictured, but everything in your notes is there now, plus a whole lot more. As for the thanking - its everyone else (who loves FR) who should be thanking me for giving you a TON of new places you're going to have to name and make lore for.
Unfortunately, it more than doubled in size (why does just about every settlement 'on the map' have to turn into a damn city?), so I have a LOT more buildings to draw now. The original town/city map I was doing turned into the 'Old City'. I had to knock some buildings down for the wall, so now it has a 'lived in' look to it.

I'm surprised you didn't want me to do Bay Town - it sounds like a very interesting place.

And as for 'painful', I've already worked with the best in that regard. When I worked with Ed it was like, "sure, have fun, knock yourself out". I just sent him stuff an he was like, "Cool, cool...". Now, with Eric, he was like, "can you move the city a little closer to the river"? There is only one pixel separating them. "Well, can we we move it into that pixel?" Then it will be IN the river. "So we can't even move it a little bit?" No, not without increasing the PPI (resolution), and that would mean starting all over. "So it can't be moved?" No... there's no such thing as a 'half pixel'. LOL

That was a REAL conversation. What that taught me was that no matter what resolution I think I'll need, INCREASE IT.

And it was worth every minute - the man is a lore-churning monster. I have a feeling you are some where between those two gentlemen, GK.

Go to Top of Page

Accipiter
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  07:36:24  Show Profile Send Accipiter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello!

I know this is a reply to a three year old post, but I'm having an amazing time running my players through some self-written adventures in and around Impiltur. One year gone, many more to come, I hope!
Anyway, I saw a reference to town maps for Sarshel, Lyrabar and (one can hope) others in the thread, and was hoping I could have a copy for the use of my group (no commercial intent at all).

Thank you in advance, for all the great work you do, whether that's possible or not. :)

History is not written by those who are right, but by those who are left.
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  17:59:47  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

spellplague

quote:

Spellplague

On the subject of spellplague the diviner Yaphyll had a vision of the event:

"The white queen is troubled but can't say why. The black queen hates the white and gives the assassin a black coat. The assassin steals upon the white queen. She can't see him gliding through the shadows. The sword screams. The white queen falls. Her city falls. Stones fall in the cavern to crush the soothsayer. The tree burns and thrashes in agony. Branches break. Branches twist and grow together..."

If that's not a use of "Rocks fall, everyone dies" I don't know what is.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  22:16:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Accipiter

Hello!

I know this is a reply to a three year old post, but I'm having an amazing time running my players through some self-written adventures in and around Impiltur. One year gone, many more to come, I hope!
Anyway, I saw a reference to town maps for Sarshel, Lyrabar and (one can hope) others in the thread, and was hoping I could have a copy for the use of my group (no commercial intent at all).

Thank you in advance, for all the great work you do, whether that's possible or not. :)

Hi Accipiter. While the city maps for the main cities of Impiltur exist, they are mine and I paid real $$ for them. They are intended for use in a forthcoming project (don't hold you breath - it's #3 in the project cue) and so they will remain safely ensconced on my HD for the moment.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  23:04:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

quote:

Hello!

Hi Accipiter. While the city maps for the main cities of Impiltur exist, they are mine and I paid real $$ for them. They are intended for use in a forthcoming project (don't hold you breath - it's #3 in the project cue) and so they will remain safely ensconced on my HD for the moment.

-- George Krashos

And hopefully backed up somewhere else, considering how oft I've heard FR designers mention something lost on old hard drives.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  02:42:53  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Returnip,

Excellent quote. I believe there was a diviner by the name of Elzarr of the Crimson Eye (a Zulkir of Divination from the 12th century) who said:

There will be a wretch of failure. A wizard with a title of.... "vice-president of marketing"... or some such term. He will rule during an infamous time. In the Year of Failing Games (2007DR), a fool of the Court of Wizards will make grave mistakes and cause to be a great Rage of Fans to burn the countryside and cause Sembian merchants to recoil in fear at the loss of revenue.

...or it should have happened anyhow. ;)

Perhaps it did...

Ask some Leirans... whatever that means....

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  10:18:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll keep a copy safe for you Krash!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 11 Dec 2020 10:18:30
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  11:08:02  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Seeker Returnip,

Excellent quote. I believe there was a diviner by the name of Elzarr of the Crimson Eye (a Zulkir of Divination from the 12th century) who said:

There will be a wretch of failure. A wizard with a title of.... "vice-president of marketing"... or some such term. He will rule during an infamous time. In the Year of Failing Games (2007DR), a fool of the Court of Wizards will make grave mistakes and cause to be a great Rage of Fans to burn the countryside and cause Sembian merchants to recoil in fear at the loss of revenue.

...or it should have happened anyhow. ;)

Perhaps it did...

Ask some Leirans... whatever that means....

Best regards,

Very nice I feel like a lot of bad decisions were made, but life is too short to dwell. I'm just hugging my 2nd/3.x stuff tightly.

On the other hand you have different fingers.

Edited by - Returnip on 11 Dec 2020 11:09:12
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  03:13:51  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Returnip,

Agreed. I will never let go of my Realms material. It's worth a ton these days!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  14:27:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I'll keep a copy safe for you Krash!

I bet you would.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Accipiter
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  19:14:44  Show Profile Send Accipiter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Hello!

-- George Krashos

And hopefully backed up somewhere else, considering how oft I've heard FR designers mention something lost on old hard drives.

Sounds good! I figured that, were the project cancelled or the maps a private fan enterprise, they were perhaps accessible. As it stands, I'll just have to look forward to something happening with that project in time, so we can all enjoy it.

Good luck with the queue!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2020 :  00:07:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay didn't end up doing the maps. He did a draft version for Sarshel and then kind of drifted away. A talented local here in Australia did them and they are, I have to say, excellent. Two more to go - Bay Town and Laviguer - and then they are done.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Accipiter
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2020 :  21:25:34  Show Profile Send Accipiter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a product I'll be very interested in, once it's done! Please keep us informed. I take it you are planning on DM's Guild to publish it?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2020 :  03:10:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds like a product I'll be very interested in, once it's done! Please keep us informed. I take it you are planning on DM's Guild to publish it?

Yes, if I have the years.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000