Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why aren't there any new D&D games in the works?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  14:59:45  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everquest Next was a really nice pipedream for nextgen MMO's though. I was looking forward to its voxel-based workable landmarks, truly destructible environments and autonomous AI. Shame its development has grinded to a complete halt.

Though a nice digital representation of Waterdeep and Undermountain would be a great resource for DM's and players, I don't see a developer having the time and loremastery to do it justice though.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  21:58:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Daggerdale was a MAJOR flop and Sword Coast Legends, from all accounts, did pretty poor as well. WotC NEEDS to team up with Bio-Ware and EA again to make a more evolved 3rd person Realms game similar to Mass Effect/Dragon Age. That would sell like hot cakes.

Sword Coast Legends killed its development studio (nSpace), was picked up by their publisher, Digital Extremes (DE), ported to console and pretty much immediately abandoned. I'd qualify that as not only a flop, but a disaster.

The game was barely D&D. It was, funnily enough, far more like Dragon Age: Origins in terms of mechanics with a D&D skin on it.

I only played the first DA so I'm not sure how much Origins changed. SCL looked cool, in part because of the 3rd person view and visuals similar to BG. I haven't played it, so I'm only going from some of the screen shots I saw.

quote:

Frankly, if they put the D&D label on it, I expect D&D rules. Not a 1:1 translation, but an adaptation of the rules that more closely resembles its source (i.e. the Baldur's Gates, Icewind Dales, Neverwinter Nights, etc). SCL was, at best, a mediocre role-playing game, a pathetic toolset, and an absolutely terrible D&D game.

I certainly don't expect too much D&D rules in a video game. I mean, it can be done, and has but that shouldn't be the end/all-be/all there. I mean I played Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Dungeons and Dragons Heroes and they're really really fun to play despite not being based really on D&D rules.

quote:

I do agree with you though that a D&D game developed and published by Bioware/EA would likely sell like mad. I'd rather not see either company touch the D&D brand, since they have ruined everything they touch since Dragon Age 2 (in my eyes at least), but it would undoubtedly make a ton of money.

I also haven't played DA 2 but what was bad about it? Physics, storyline, rules?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  22:02:47  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastermustard

quote:

Daggerdale was a MAJOR flop and Sword Coast Legends, from all accounts, did pretty poor as well. WotC NEEDS to team up with Bio-Ware and EA again to make a more evolved 3rd person Realms game similar to Mass Effect/Dragon Age. That would sell like hot cakes.

The latest installments of both series' have been ridiculed for various reasons. I don't want to get into politics but I'd wait a few years before I let Bioware make a game for any IP I owned.

To be candid, I'd be concerned that Bioware's dev team might add their own politically correct spin to the Realms.

It would definitely get D&D out in the public eye in a way that D&D hasn't been since 2007, though.

If by politically correct, you mean ideals that empower women and break boundaries such as transgenderism then the Realms has that beat by QUITE a few years. Remember Elminster spent some time as a woman to get a different perspective. So that sort of stuff fits perfectly fine in a setting like the Forgotten Realms. Hells there's even a magical item that switches gender and I presume spells can too.

Then there's the fact that MANY women in the Realms are empowered magically, politically, spiritually, intellectually, etc. So, again, there's no "Politically Correct" path that would be pushed that the Forgotten Realms (and by the by, D&D) hasn't already done in the past.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2017 :  01:53:33  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also haven't played DA 2 but what was bad about it? Physics, storyline, rules?

To me, everything except the class/character ability trees (much improved from the linear ones from DAO).

Recycled area maps (with barriers to open or close areas based on the quest using it). I dunno how many times I went into the same cave for different quests, but it was insane.

The visuals for everything other than the main character (Hawke) and NPCs were massive steps backwards from DAO.

The encounters used a wave system which led to more enemies springing from the ground or falling from the sky. Most (if not all) boss encounters didn't require strategy and/or thinking so much as just wailing away on the boss(es) until they died. One in particular (a one-on-one duel) was so terrible it was like a Benny Hill skit.

The story and setting were abysmal. A quick example for setting, the opening shows Hawke and family retreating from the Blight occurring in Ferelden, to arrive at the docks of the Free Marches city of Kirkwall and being told there's no room for more refugees. Well, after some quests and whatnot...you're allowed entry to find the city is little more than a ghost town, certainly not filled to the brim with people (or even slightly crowded).

The story was a series of various narratives divided into chapters, with essentially a new story per chapter. Nifty in concept, but they didn't pull it off well at all. The chapters were pretty short, so once they started to show signs of getting interesting, they ended abruptly (with a terrible boss encounter of some sort).

If there is an overall narrative, I never managed to find it (other than a simmering Mages vs Templars snoozefest in which you are forced to choose a side from pretty much out of nowhere).

I could continue, but suffice to say I hated all but one thing about DA2. DA3 (Inquisition) was just flat-out boring (my first though upon finishing the game was 'Thank God, it's finally friggin over!').

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2017 :  03:31:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
political correct = lie to make someone smile.

?I say piss em off. the truth hurts.

does not matter what skin tone or gender, a mind is a terrible thing to waste....

just my take on political correctness as we all know politics lie

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 19 Sep 2017 03:39:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2017 :  04:50:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I think we've covered that topic well enough. Let's move on before it descends into the messiness prior discussions have spiraled into.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2017 :  09:28:27  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes..

the last decent dnd game to me was TOEE.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000