Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Chult Map by Mike Schley
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  07:54:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
And its FREE!

Tomb of Annihilation Map

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  14:50:31  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the fact that it ends in Samarach. So, you can use it either for the peninsula or the island.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 09 Sep 2017 14:57:30
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  16:40:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive never really looked at chult but is the nuRealms Chult geography different to original Realms?

I like Mr Schleys maps, its just a shame they are for the wrong edition.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  17:21:53  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not different. But during 4e, Chult was separated from the mainland when the Shinning Sea drowned the Lapaliiya jungles, becoming an island. I guess they restored it back to a peninsula in 5e.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  17:42:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I like the fact that it ends in Samarach. So, you can use it either for the peninsula or the island.
I noticed that, and unlike you, it annoyed me. I'm sure it was done on-purpose (they either haven't made up their minds about it, or would rather just continue to ignore it than open a new can-of-worms at this time {anti-4e backlash/'edition wars'}).

quote:

Not different. But during 4e, Chult was separated from the mainland when the Shinning Sea drowned the Lapaliiya jungles, becoming an island. I guess they restored it back to a peninsula in 5e.
Yes, you can see it on the map I did HERE. Also please note they are using that as the header on their Facebook page... and no-one asked me.

Hmmmmm... thats only a portion of the map - they also cut-off the part showing the disconnect - my original had more there. Funny, they just posted that about 2 weeks ago, and now Mike Shley's new map comes out and its cut-off around the same point. Coincidence? Here is a link to the original. Funny, but that one also isn't hosted by me - the fact that I can go looking for my old maps and find them all so easily is both disturbing and pretty cool at the same time.

EDIT:
LMAO - I just realized that when I copied the Compass Rose over, I left the WotC info at the bottom - people probably think 'its official'. My bad.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Sep 2017 17:45:07
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  17:59:07  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cannot blame them. At first I also though your maps were official (and even Ed acknowledges your maps as closer to truth).

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2017 :  19:54:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what I strived for, back then. But as was pointed out to me at Gencon 2012, "what I do is dangerous". At the time, I had a sort-of 'so what?' attitude regarding that, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that was not only very true, but there were other reasons I should 'broaden my horizons'. First off, I wanted to pay homage to Dennis Kauth's wonderful 3e map (still very pretty, if highly inaccurate... through no fault of his own), and people started to think I was the original 3e cartographer (I STILL correct people in that regard). That's not 'paying homage', that's stealing someone else's glory. And secondly, I NEEDED to develop my own style if I was ever going to do this for more than 'just fun'.

So, as my signature says - I learn a lot from people who disagree with me.

And I haven't 'called out' that page, because several artist/cartographers I admire are also members (including Mike Schley), and I think its kinda neat that one of mine is sitting there right at the top. Of course, I KNOW its because I can't really (legally) complain - after all, most of it IS a WotC map - but I can still pretend I'm 'one of the cool kids'.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Sep 2017 19:54:44
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2017 :  12:28:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What this does show me though is one thing I'm going to expound on... Samarach is back.... fully. So in 4e, there was the section of the river from the city of Samargol inward. It became this swathe that was gone. This actually helps me, because I had proposed that this small section of Samarach went to Abeir and had gotten taken over and the people fled to Balduran Bay. This tied into there being a thayan enclave in Samargol.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2017 :  14:07:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

According to the SCAG, they did.

Eastward along the Chultan peninsula lie the remains of Thindol and Samarach. Despite the apparent fall of both civilizations, Thindol remains infested with yuan-ti, while the illusions cloaking Samarach's mountain passes conceal the activities in that nation.

While I had already hoped to make these places "returned from Abeir, but overwhelmed", these statements in the SCAG makes it more concrete (though it is still pretty fluid). I had noted that for Samarach the area along a major river had widened HUGELY in 4e, so my assumption was that that area had transferred to Toril and that some of the surrounding land in Abeir had come to Samarach. What this gave me was a large number of Leiran priests/worshippers, illusionists, beguilers, etc... that I could have displaced elsewhere.

For Thindol, I had noted that the central part of Thindol holding its two sides together had disappeared. This included Lundeth, a city known for its Gondsmen and their creation of many mills that took advantage of rivers AND their creation of a basic mass production facility aimed at sword creation. The swords were shoddy as hell. However, I went with the idea that these refugees in the new world, they decided not to focus on mass production of things that needed perfection... but rather more simple things like ... nails... screws... nuts and bolts... hammers.. screwdrivers... saws.. lumber axes.... tillers... shovels... rakes.. hoes.. and such it was that it wasn't weapons that allowed the red wizards to expand their communities so much as it was hard work and handy tools.

The SCAG indicates Thindol is overrun by Yuan-ti, but I'm not sure if that's the lands that were left behind OR the land that transferred over OR both. It could prove interesting if say the lands that transferred over were conquered by some kind of Abeiran culture (non-human) and have returned with said culture in place and ready to fight against the Yuan-ti. For instance, it might prove interesting if say Samargol comes back, and its (just as a for instance) now a city ruled by genies who have enslaved the people of Samarach who were unable to escape. It could even prove interesting if these genies have some kind of bent towards deception and tricksterism and they even allowed the continued worship of Leira amongst the populace. A similar twist could exist with Rakshasa (though personally not pursuing that.. have them elsewhere)...

Similarly, the central area of Thindol may now be filled with some kind of elemental culture. For instance, some kind of salamander lord may have all kinds of flame salamanders. Thus, the snake people and the salamander people might be at war. Not necessarily the greatest of ideas, but just something to throw out.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 10 Sep 2017 14:20:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2017 :  17:19:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike Schley has gone back and added to the pdf file map download -- now there are hexless versions!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2017 :  17:30:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were hexes? I hadn't even noticed. Weird.

My eyes go 'straight for the new stuff' LOL.

When I eventually return to Chult, I am going to keep it separated, and yet, keep the look/feel we had in 1e/2e. Basically, there's going to be a channel now, so it would technically 'be an island', but so close as to be negligible (a one-man rowboat could get across... and maybe a REALLY good swimmer). I am talking WAY narrower than the English Channel. So visually, its going to look more like a river. That should appease both 'camps'.

EDIT:
Which now makes me want to waffle back to my 5e continent map - it would have been on that.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Sep 2017 17:31:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000