Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Moviesign's Guide to the Candlekeep Wiki
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moviesign
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2017 :  02:50:46  Show Profile Send Moviesign a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail, fellow travelers!

My purpose here is to introduce the CK community to the nuts and bolts of wiki work and hopefully alleviate any fears you may have about learning new tools and a new syntax for getting things looking and working the way you want them to look and work. It can be a daunting endeavor, I know, because when I started in 2011, more experienced editors were changing and correcting my contributions left and right. One guy even removed the extra space when I would hit the space bar twice after a period! (I'm sure this will not happen to you )

If you are really unfamiliar with wikis, then there is no better place to start than the General Help Pages. If you follow that link, you will notice I have added links to two (so far) Help pages that I wrote up specifically for the Candlekeep wiki. They are General advice, where I'm collecting various pearls of wisdom as they occur to me, and Citing sources, where I demonstrate how to cite your sources and then generate a list of notes and references (usually at the bottom of the article). All three of these pages are available from any page on the Candlekeep Wiki by clicking on the Help button/menu in the page header. Feel free to edit these pages to improve them, and I will probably be adding more as time goes on.

About 2,000 citation templates have been imported to the CKW, so you can probably find one for most any source you want to cite. The infoboxes (those boxes on the right side of most articles that summarize the vital statistics of the subject) have been imported from FRW also, but CKW will probably have different requirements for what goes in an infobox, so some of those may be changing. However, things like {{Building}}, {{Location}}, {{Item}}, and others can probably be used as is.

The style of your wiki (and especially the infoboxes) relies heavily on CSS, so if there are any CSS artists out there that want to give the CKW its own unique look, I can point you to the right place and get you started.

If you have a question or want to request help with something, the best way to reach me is by posting a message on my Wall. I spend most of my time over on the Forgotten Realms Wiki, but it will notify me when I get a new message.

Come on in and give the wiki a try. I guarantee we have banished all the lock lurkers and it's perfectly safe to explore.

Admin of the Forgotten Realms Wiki and Candlekeep Wiki
"No matter where you go...there you are." —Buckaroo Banzai

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2017 :  04:32:06  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to thank Moviesign for helping us get setup over on the CKW. As he said he imported thousands of citation templates from the FRW to the CKW, which will make citing source material so much easier for us. One of the great advantages of using the same citation templates as the FRW is that the knowledge learned and used on one wiki can easily be duplicated on the other. By building this backward compatibility with both wikis this will hopefully help grow both the talent and resources from the broader FR community.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000