Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Epic Spellcasting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  21:27:07  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings all sages.

I have been toying with the idea of running some players in a Epic level 3.5 campaign, 21-40. And I am trying to rein in magic, a least a little. I already have a few ideas for how to do that for non-Epic spells. But when it comes to Epic Spellcasting I want to limit it while keeping it monumental.

I prefer simple house rules when they are needed, so I was thinking of changing 1 Epic slot per day for every 10 ranks of Knowledge Arcana/Relgion, to 1 Epic slot per X. X being month, year or lifetime. At level 40 a caster could have up to 4 Epic slots.

I know the raising of Mythals using High Magic is Epic Magic in 3.5 as are some of the converted 10+ level spells that are normally kept a secret. So just how common would you say Epic Spellcasting is in the Realms? Did I miss any other examples or are there any examples of it being common place maybe Halruaa or Thay? Any opinions how often an Epic spell slot should be available?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2017 :  04:03:05  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds really arbitrary and bizarre. Something like the party wizard studying from the notes off a plundered Netherese tomb works better, if you want more epic slots.

Anyway, apart from Thay and Halruaa, there's the Simbul, Larloch, Aumvor, Velsharoon, Telamont and a few others. Epic-level wizards seldom get statblocks, so there's no reason why Shoon or the upper echelons of the Twisted Rune wouldn't have it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2017 :  04:40:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it's just me, but I'm thinking reining in magic and playing way past level 20 are somewhat mutually exclusive... Part of the appeal of playing the high levels is all the magical goodies that let each character become the love child of Rambo and Chuck Norris.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, and you know your players better than I. I would suggest, though, discussing something like this with your players, to make sure they're on board with it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Aug 2017 04:42:10
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2017 :  06:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies.

Just to be clear I am looking for less epic slots. The way I'm imagining it is the Epic spellcasting is so powerful that it burns out that part of the brain for a lot longer than normal casting. So the spells stay powerful but I want the player to really weigh the option do I want to use it.

Do you imagine these Epic wizards casting Epic magic on a daily basis? I imagine it less frequent, if they are delving into Epic magics.

I do understand Epic is super high fantasy, magic and all. My ultimate goal is to tell a few fun different stories at a level my players are unaccustomed to. My fear is as levels get to 15 and beyond casters can steal the show to easily. My players are happy going with the flow, some are min/maxers others just there for the RP. So I'm hoping to put a few things in place to make sure everyone has fun while being awesome.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000