Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2018 :  10:59:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started working on Bast, consolidated my ideas on her siding with Set during the civil war and thus hating him forever for misleading her, which is why her church sponsors adventuring bands to destroy Set worshippers.
Later events cause Bast to leave Mulhorand in exile and decimate her church which is why she is now Sharess and why her church is so small.

Came across the part about Vast absorbing Zandilar and about Zandilar having the child Selvetarm with Vhaeraun. This poses a problem for my non god centric model, for while Bast and Zandilar are demigod and outside the non deific interference that I have imposed, Vhaeraun is a true god and so cannot interfere directly in Toril.

I have a few ideas forming at the moment. As an aside, I believe George Krashos wrote that the Yuirwood deities were actually imprisoned in the menhir by the elves. How did Zandilar escape, why would they imprison an elf

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2018 :  15:37:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been busy on Mulhorand lately, working a lot on all the various churches and gods, I've done this deliberately because Mulhorand is a theocracy and has a very important part in how Mulhorand exists so I need to figure out each individual piece before I can figure out the whole.

The Church of Bast
The Church of Horus-Re
The Church of Osiris
The Cult of Set
Mishtan
Sultim

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 10 Oct 2018 15:38:25
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2018 :  22:17:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking for some things to spice up Isis who is by all accounts a thoroughly boring being. Almost no history about her except for her raising osiris from the dead

So a few unusual things I noted. First she is depicted as being dark skinned, while Mulan are olive skinned I think. Dark skin says turami origin to me so maybe I could spin it as she did not travel with the godkings to imaskari (or did but died) and they found this Isis at the source of the river of spears.

Also Isis has a military order called the sisters of life who are part of the guardians of Skuld. Perhaps they are the guardians of Skuld because they protected Skuld from set during the civil war.

I'm also thinking of doing something with the mystic cornucopia. Maybe it is sat atop some kind of magical creature that was bound to the place by elves or turami. Anything really to make Isis and her clergy and temples a bit interesting with some adventure possibilities.

Any ideas

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2018 :  14:15:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, perhaps all the dead incarnations and undead in mishtan as well as a few ancient spellweavers pyramids in the land if the dead, have caused strange magics to leak into the waters. These weird magics are collecting at the mystic cornucopia which is sited where the river from klondor and the river from mishtan meet to form the river of spears.

So I could have some kind of weird animal that is a mutated mass of flesh in a state of regeneration and decay that is immune to just about everything (because it regrow any damage instantly). And it's been hidden under the mystic cornucopia the whole time (Perhaps the turami worshipped it before the Mulan arrived).

To make it a bit icky I could have the priests of Isis using this monster for magical reagents to make items like the belt of the camel or powder of obsession. Even worse I could have them use it as a food source (it just regrows everything carved off it) and it has unintended consequences on those consuming it.

I realise I'm clutching at straws here and it has no basis in canon but without something the church of Isis will be more boring than assembly instructions from the 1970s

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2018 :  15:37:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Looking for some things to spice up Isis who is by all accounts a thoroughly boring being. Almost no history about her except for her raising osiris from the dead

So a few unusual things I noted. First she is depicted as being dark skinned, while Mulan are olive skinned I think. Dark skin says turami origin to me so maybe I could spin it as she did not travel with the godkings to imaskari (or did but died) and they found this Isis at the source of the river of spears.

Also Isis has a military order called the sisters of life who are part of the guardians of Skuld. Perhaps they are the guardians of Skuld because they protected Skuld from set during the civil war.

I'm also thinking of doing something with the mystic cornucopia. Maybe it is sat atop some kind of magical creature that was bound to the place by elves or turami. Anything really to make Isis and her clergy and temples a bit interesting with some adventure possibilities.

Any ideas

Just to note, many of the Mulhorandi gods are dark skinned, so I'd recommend being careful with associating them to other cultures. Geb (Isis' father), Isis and Nepthys are all dark skinned.

Anhur has "blood red" skin

Osiris has green skin or appears as a Mummy, but this is only after he's returned from the dead I believe. He's also a child of Geb and Nut like Isis/Nephthys/Set

Bast is "bronze skinned"

Horus-Re, Hathor, Sebek, Set, and Thoth are the only ones that actually look like Mulans (assuming their description as "Mulhorandi" means pale skinned), and Set has scales instead of skin and is ALSO a child of Geb, and all except for Hathor have animal heads (and she has cow horns).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2018 :  15:52:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I wouldn't have a problem with a number of them being of different origin but I couldn't justify 4 extra turami demigods that the Mulan just happen upon.

I've decided to dispense with the familial connections as it's just too weird and real world rip off. The familial connection doesn't add anything to the lore anyway, it's just a source of oddness.

Nothing for Isis though. I will have to list her as the most boring deity ever to have been created

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2018 :  23:21:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I find interesting is that the Mulan looking ones have animal heads... the brown skinned ones and ones look human. I figure Osiris was probably brown skinned as well prior to his death and "resurrection". The red skinned one looks human, but having 4 arms.

As to Isis being boring, she is a goddess of magic and of weather. I look at her as actually being one of the more interesting females in that pantheon, compared to Hathor and Nephthys. Of course, Nephthys having been married to her brother, Set, and then kicked him out... and him raiding the tombs that her priests are set to guard... does add some interest to the normally mercantile Nephthys.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2018 :  08:23:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The animal head group is odd, so is anhurs extra arms (I'm making the blood fortress protected by his blood), not sure what I can do about extra arms -maybe an accident in rescuing the Mulan.

The problem with most of the Mulan godkings is that they have a single noteworthy event about 2000 years ago and then nothing. Even worse is not a single plot hook can be made from the noteworthy event ages ago.

Isis resurrected osiris and is daughter of so and so. What can any dm do with that. At least with horus we have a hint of potential madness that affects him and presumably his incarnations and thanks to George there is missing khaledshran. Osiris has a few cool artefacts to search for.

Isis has powder of obsession and the belt of the camel, both very minor magic items at best. She hasn't got a single noteworthy box in any sourcebook, even her high temple has nothing interesting about it except for a brief description of its architecture.

I'm fine manufacturing plot hooks and intrigue from single sentences but Isis doesn't even have that.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2018 :  19:42:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might have found a decent plot hook for the church of Isis courtesy of someone on piazza forum.

I recently read that Rezim was replaced as vizier by Kalarzim (powers and pantheons I believe) which means that some time around 1365-1369 DR he was exposed as being a power hungry monsters and removed from office by the pharaoh.

So I need a means to remove him from office. The most obvious one being Anhurites find dirt on him and get him removed. However I find that the radical faction of Isis' church believes war and expansion are the only way for Mulhorand to survive so what if Isisites found the dirt, he wouldn't be expecting that from priests of Isis.

The question is how, who are the radical faction of Isis, what dirt do they find, and why do they want Rezim out anyway.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2018 :  22:22:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay so radical faction of Isis can be the sisters of life - a military order in a church of pacifists sounds like a radical group to me. The sisters of life are part of the guardians of Skuld so I have made them the defenders of the city of the gods (the defenders of the district in Skuld where the Pharaoh lives) that way the church of Isis can get rid of its radical groups to a place that is far from other priests and that they can't voluntarily leave because it is such a prestigious position (status in mulhorand is everything).
The radicals don't like what rezim and other vizier have done (punishing the church of anhurs for past mistakes, changing inheritance laws so that the church of horus re inherits most of the farm land).
I'm thinking the sisters of life discover about rezim causing hethabs death.

Also decided to work the Thael into the asanabis region and locate it under the mystic cornucopia (It's a creature George alluded to in his zulkirate of thay article).

Hopefully some intrigue and a mythical monster can make the church of Isis less boring.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2018 :  16:24:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another idea for the radical factions of Isis, nephthys, and hathor.

Mulhorand is a predominantly patriarchal society (I'm sure there is a direct quote in the old empires book).

By 1373 however mulhorand has a female foreigner as the next potential queen and general of its armies (Yes I'm taking the actual scenario a bit far but kendera steeldice is certainly taking a leading role in the invasion and has the eye of the pharaoh).

So at some point between 1356 and 1373 there is a cultural or political shift in mulhorand that allows this situation to occur. Given that the pharaoh is involved and he is the supreme authority in mulhorand it could be he made the decision first and that sets the trend for the rest of Mulhorand to follow suit.

So I'm wondering if perhaps the radical groups of the female dominated churches are not looking for female equality somehow. Currently they have little say in the government, unlike the church of osiris which is responsible for the law, and the church of anhurs which is responsible for the armed forces (both of which are hugely important to running a country).

Perhaps these female dominated churches manipulated colleagues in Mulhorands government to hire certain mercenary groups (knowing they contained a sizable proportion of women in their ranks).

I have noted that the guardians of Skuld was filled with priests of anhurs, osiris, and Isis. I've made them the defenders of the palace district in Skuld (where the Pharaoh lives) because the city already has a militia and the role of temples in defence seems more symbolic and for historical reasons.

However Rezim is not going to want Anhurs priests near him (he has been picking on their church a lot). The church of Osiris is the main rival to Horus-'re in terms of political power. The sisters of life might be reduced to admin and fetch and carry roles rather than patrol and defence. This puts them close to Rezim and the Pharaoh (those closest to the king were best placed to manipulate him and hear juicy secrets).
So I'm imagining the sisters of life being used by Rezim as his personal servants but in doing so they get access to his dirty document laundry and occasionally get Rezims ear and more importantly the Pharaoh (I hear those foreign mercenaries are very good, and pretty, etc, etc).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2018 :  20:18:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Changed my mind after reading the Old Empires expansion by Scott Bennie.

Korethys Thulhani is the perfect way for the Church of Isis to expand its political power and to improve conditions for women. This potential future incarnation of Isis could have caught the eye of the young Horustep (before he became pharaoh) while visiting her cousin (the leader of the Sisters of Life) in Skuld.

The two are betrothed and things look good for the Church of Isis. Then disaster strikes in 1357 DR when the pharaoh Akonhorus is assassinated, and so is Korethys (in the Old Empires Prestige Class it says she was assassinated in 1359 DR but it makes more sense for the assassination to occur at the same time as an existing assassination that occurred in the same place by the same people). Korethys was just collateral damage and for those minds that like intrigue you could wonder if Rezim hadn't discovered the death of Akonhorus and quickly murdered Korethys to do away with future problems for himself (the Church of Isis would gain more power through Korethys from the pharaoh than he would have if they had gotten married).

So the assassination means the guardians of skuld failed in their sacred duty to protect the pharaoh, that means shame and punishment. The Guardians are put on watch duty around the walls of the City of the Gods while Rezim has foreign mercenaries hired to protect the Solarium (and his own guards to guard the Pharaoh). Among these mercenaries is a young Kendera Steeldice and hey presto the new pharaoh takes a liking to her. The Vizier's own machinations backfire against him (which I much prefer).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2018 :  00:18:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind too that Isis is a goddess of goodly magic. Her group can be the group that's about magically securing places, etc... her priestesses might be involved with a sect that hunts down evil spellcasters. They may even have a militant arm of spellcasting priests, paladins, sorcerers, and wizards who personally seek out red wizards as an enemy of the state, or hunt down sects of Set worshippers who are turning magic towards evil, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2018 :  08:30:24  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a theocracy like Mulhorand where the churches form part of and provide services on behalf of the state, I have struggled to rationalise how the church of Isis could represent good spellcasters because I can't think of anyway they could know if someone was good or not (alignment is such a horrible concept for world Building).

So I've left the church of Thoth as being responsible for all spellcasters and I may just have a number of white necromancers or some other nicely represented niche of spellcasters.

As for the others, I have got military orders and such but it's all very generic. I would prefer something unique to the church, i find that's what makes things interesting.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2018 :  16:28:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good in their society might be termed somewhat towards "not opposing Mulhorandi society and working to support both commoners and Mulans". I say MIGHT mind you. Especially if Isis is seen as a "brown-skinned" goddess, she may accept non-Mulan mages who are loyal to the state into their ranks as mages, sorcerers, priests, druids, rangers, and paladins (note, the druids and rangers piece come from her also being a weather, river, and agriculture goddess... and in second edition, she was known to have mystics). In fact, the "lower classes"/Turami may be more encouraged to serve her in the roles of druids and rangers, whereas the Mulans may be encouraged to serve her as paladins/priests/mages. Sorcerers would be the odd crossover that would occur within both cultures, but more likely amongst the Mulans whose bloodlines have been mixed with divine sources.

The difference between her and Thoth would be that Thoth would be geared towards knowledge gaining, engineering, teaching, and specifically serving the godkings and their servants. The worshippers of Thoth might not be as concerned with the common folk, but they would be heavily concerned with making sure that all Mulans are trained to "rule wisely in the interests of the state" or "lead the untrained in the field" or "engineer/design" things from a desk. That being said, common folk are generally not mages either, and when they find magically capable Mulan individuals they may require that they be trained as mages. Non-Mulans found to possess magical capability MAY actually be excluded from their church, and such individuals might be accepted into Isis' church.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2018 :  16:50:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do like the idea of Isis' church helping turami (lower class) spellcasters.

This is just my take but I am moving away from portfolios, it's a non FR concept (In that it applies only to gods) and it reinforces a god centric model of religion that I wish to avoid.
So thoths church provides for the registration and monitoring of all non religious spellcasters as well as the maintaining of southern magic (transcribing magic into it and preventing the secret code from escaping into common use).
His church doesn't stop other churches from welcoming spellcasters of any kind into their organisation but as a service, the church of thoth is responsible for all spellcasters (registration etc). This forms part of its duties to the state of Mulhorand.
The church of Isis therefore can offer no administrative service to good or nature spellcasters (Not that I distinguish between them because those are game rules and not part of the world just part of the game played in that world).

I only have 3 broad distinguishing roles in the world, warrior, expert, and magic user. If you are a priest you are fine in your own religion. If you are not a priest and you use magic you need to register with the church of thoth or face punishment (loss of hands if repeatedly casting spells).

Now spellcasting is of course the preserve of the rich and therefore upper classes (Yes there are some poor magic users but they are limited in number). The church of Isis welcoming certain types of magic users from poorer backgrounds is a good way to explain it's patronage of "good" spellcasters

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2018 :  20:24:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randomly reading the Perilous Gateways article on the Trail of Tears - the Darkcrypt

So it has a crypt created in the immediate aftermath of the Orcgate Wars for the express purpose of placing the Ankh of Life within it to hide it (along with a finger bone of Ra and a divine incarnation of Anhur presumably to guard it).

Now this ankh of life is an artifact level magic item with the ability to bring back people from the dead.

So I'm puzzled as to why The High Priest of Horus-Re ordered the Ankh of Life to be buried within this hastily constructed crypt. Firstly its a supremely important artifact that is sacred to the church of Horus-Re, secondly it is quite possible this artifact could have restored Ra to life. Why, why, why was it buried in the ground and hidden from the rest of Mulhorand.

Now I can see an obvious error here. Ra had just died, so a Church of Horus-Re did not exist at that time, and Horus' church had no authority to order anyone to do anything. So I'm presuming the High Priest was of Ra's church.

I have a few theories because I love intrigue and ebilness, but I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts first.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2018 :  08:39:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I had to move around some chessenta dates I made up.
I confused stalls benadis crowning as interceptor with his date of birth. Also I noticed that mount thulbane last exhibited some volcanic activity nearly 800 years ago so I moved back assuran and Banes duel atop mount thulbane to coincide with a storm that wrecked the untheric fleet, the storm being caused by the volcanic activity resulting from the duel. 681 years ago is nearly 800 years (I realise it is closer to nearly 700 years but what does that matter).

Now the lava from mount thulbane effectively isolates the chessenta region from the parent empire of unther as well as the storm wrecking unthers fleet so that is when chessentas independence begins. The army can't get there for a few years nor can any caravans, so the cities start to govern automously and a few rebel.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2018 :  13:54:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do like the idea of Isis' church helping turami (lower class) spellcasters.

This is just my take but I am moving away from portfolios, it's a non FR concept (In that it applies only to gods) and it reinforces a god centric model of religion that I wish to avoid.
So thoths church provides for the registration and monitoring of all non religious spellcasters as well as the maintaining of southern magic (transcribing magic into it and preventing the secret code from escaping into common use).
His church doesn't stop other churches from welcoming spellcasters of any kind into their organisation but as a service, the church of thoth is responsible for all spellcasters (registration etc). This forms part of its duties to the state of Mulhorand.
The church of Isis therefore can offer no administrative service to good or nature spellcasters (Not that I distinguish between them because those are game rules and not part of the world just part of the game played in that world).

I only have 3 broad distinguishing roles in the world, warrior, expert, and magic user. If you are a priest you are fine in your own religion. If you are not a priest and you use magic you need to register with the church of thoth or face punishment (loss of hands if repeatedly casting spells).

Now spellcasting is of course the preserve of the rich and therefore upper classes (Yes there are some poor magic users but they are limited in number). The church of Isis welcoming certain types of magic users from poorer backgrounds is a good way to explain it's patronage of "good" spellcasters

I know you don't want a god-centric model, but within Mulhorand, that's the basis of their culture (and we may be talking semantics here). Religion IS the state.... not the reverse where the state defines a religion that they like and may change with a new ruler.

One thing that is good to be remembered with Mulhorand and is a bit unique TO Mulhorand, and its a major reason for why Thay broke away from them, is that all spellcasters of any kind are REQUIRED to serve the state (aka the godkings) for a portion of their time. So, yes I agree that Thoth's church should be responsible for identifying magically capable individuals, and an additional task of theirs should also be "allocating" their required work. Wizards and sorcerers in Mulhorand aren't allowed to do what they want for extended periods (of course, there might be granted exceptions for a wizard say crafting a magic item... but such a break would have to be requested and granted, and may even require some kind of debt in either a monetary or reciprocal time creating another item for the state).

So, yeah, I think we can agree we like the idea of Isis training a bunch of "lesser" spellcasters that Thoth's church doesn't want to sully their hands with (after all, if they advance in skill slowly... someone has to magically "dig the ditches" per se), but Thoth's church turns around and uses those resources in service to the state in more mundane matters (such as helping magically build or repair a pyramid or stronghold or dam or irrigation canal). The Mulan mages probably get the "better" or "more exciting" jobs handed down by the Thoth "taskmasters" that are "seen" by the populace to prove why they should remain in power.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2018 :  16:51:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am imagining a point in time when Horus-re became Pharaoh and set about restructuring the government of mulhorand. He created these government departments to deal with magic, trade, defence, agriculture, etc. But rather than give them to government departments to handle, he contracted them out to the churches.
So Thoth's church volunteered for magic, Anhur for defence, etc.
Now the churches have to still obey government policy, it is their job to implement it. When spellcasters get out of control the Pharaoh demands to know every spellcaster in the land. Thoths church creates the register.

By making the churches part of the state he bound them to it and ensured their loyalty. The churches got money and promotion from the state which ensures the churches of Mulhorand are much more powerful for their size when compared against western churches. This also explains why mulhorandi gods are so powerful despite their smaller worshipper base.

I don't distinguish between arcane and divine from a gaming rules point of view. Instead if you are part of a church of Mulhorand you are registered anyway and your spellcasting is controlled by that church. If you are freelance then you must register with the church of thoth and obey the rules set out by them.

I'm deliberately leaving dnd gaming rules out of the world because I don't believe a world should ever be bound by the rules of the game, the rules are just a means to play in that world and interpret it, any rules can be used to be honest.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2018 :  21:38:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm at the church of geb. One curious thing I noted was that the priesthood is mostly hereditary (making them almost like a monster family within Mulhorands government that has total control of its mine's), also I note that it has a few gold dwarves in its membership.

So twisting things as I do. Way back in the past the church was much larger and now it is very small. I'm thinking of having the family/church of geb interred with gold dwarves long ago (timing it with a gold dwarf migration). The gold dwarf genes slow their population growth which accounts for low numbers but otherwise these half dwarves look just like short Mulan.
The dwarf heritage gives them knowledge of old dwarf ruins like the volcano temple beneath the ship of the gods (that the dwarves made long ago to stop it erupting- the did something similar with the smoking mountains in unther).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2018 :  20:09:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the followers of Geb are searching for a mythical mountain of mithril. I'm sure I can get a few plot hooks out of that.

Could it be referring to an old Imaskari tale, like Zexthandrim which is impossible to find thanks to the magics that hide it. Or could it be a dwarven myth from the time when they first arrived on Toril. Perhaps it could be referring to the Mountain of Iron far in the Endless Wastes.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2018 :  21:31:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've decided to do away with the Church of Hathor. Like the Church of Isis it was very boring (even more so as it detailed no temples, no military or adventuring orders), but also it did not seem fitting with the lore.

The priests of Hathor eschew political power and intrigue, instead focusing upon the needs of the poor and commonfolk.

A structured church is difficult to imagine without a central temple (and the church of Hathor has no temples), but also organization hierarchies breed political intrigue and power struggles (its human nature).

So instead the Church of Hathor is now just wise women who travel from settlement to settlement delivering babies and administering to the wounded. They probably take on apprentices (kind of like the Sith) to pass on their knowledge but otherwise there is no official church beyond a master and their apprentice.

I think I'm up to my last Church now (thank god, I've had enough of churches), the Church of Nephthys. I might make hers a bit more evil as she sounds quite greedy and grasping

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2018 :  21:05:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well after a request for something on Tefnut I went off on a tangent and came up with the Temple of Lost Gods.

So Tefnut, Nut, Shu, and Ptah have no presence in Toril (according to canon), but that only works in the godcentric model of the realms.

In this version anyone can worship whoever they want (and receive spells, because you never know who you are receiving spells from). So if people wanted to worship Tefnut they could. But they don't.

So Tefnut had to either be unknown, or dead. So I'm killing Tefnut, Nut, and Shu off during the liberation of the Mulan from Imaskar.

Anubis survives to the Orcgate Wars (thanks to Tom Costa's article on Ancient Gods) because he is known as the guardian of dead gods and presumably was the god of death before Osiris became so in -1048 DR.

So Anubis establishes the Temple of Lost Gods in the Cliffs of Leaping Horses before the Orcgate Wars. A place guarded by his Divine Minions, where mulan could come to pay their respects to the long dead gods of Mulhorand.

Its location was lost following the civil war of Mulhorand (-1048 DR), and the reason is because the entire coastal shelf of Mulhorand is unstable (owing to the dwarves' use of the Elder Rune of Destruction long in the past). Every time the ship of the gods erupts or an earthquake strikes, a large chunk of Mulhorand's cliffs collapse into the sea (actually an entire section of the Underdark collapses so the sea floor lowers by a large chunk). The Temple of Lost Gods (and the settlement it was situated near) just fell into the sea one day. People have looked for it ever since but none have thought to look in the Alamber Sea for the temple.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 23 Oct 2018 21:06:05
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2018 :  21:38:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added in a writeup on Anubis, which thanks to a few ideas from Tom Costa's Ancient Gods article, I have made a powerful parasite on the Astral Plane.

Anubis was the God of the Dead of Mulhorand, but he died during the Orcgate Wars, and the miracle of Osiris' death and return meant that the Mulan chose to revere Osiris as God of the Dead instead.

Anubis didn't die properly, he instead achieved true godhood (perhaps a secret he learned from the Book of the Dead). However the sudden decline in worship put his newly ascended form in immortal peril. Anubis discarded his divinity and became stuck between planes (unable to reach the material plane as he had no body, and barred from the outer planes as he was no longer a true god), there he feeds upon the remaining divine energies of those others who failed to achieve/survive true godhood.

Anubis' high temple was located in Akorbil, a city along the Cliffs of Leaping Horses that sank into the sea around 1050 DR. His remaining church dwindled or was absorbed into the Church of Osiris.

He has one surviving devout worshipper, Betita Akhanubis who was at one time the Divine Incarnation and a Divine Minion (as a firstborn son of Anubis he was effectively immortal so he gave up his position and underwent the ritual of Abetlaran after many centuries). Betita guards the Temple of Lost Gods (in Akorbil, beneath the waves of the Alamber Sea). Betita receives visions (he believes are from Anubis), and so still reveres the godking, but some of these visions are disturbingly violent.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/home/religion/mulho-untheric-pantheon/anubis/

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 24 Oct 2018 21:43:55
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2018 :  08:40:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Into my next random mulhorandi god. Apshai is mentioned off and on but has no proper basis in canon that I know of.

His insect depiction doesn't really fit the mulhorandi theme (which are animal headed gods not a purely insectoid god).

My initial thoughts are to link apshai to the spellweavers that inhabited this region long before the humans and sarrukh.

It could be that apshai was the last surviving spellweaver of the node that existed on Toril. Maybe Ra and Anu and Enlil encountered him in the Fuirgar. Or alternatively Apshai is the imaskari slave pidgin corruption of Jergals spellweaver name. The imaskari encountered Jergal long ago (see GKs article) and so maybe the slaves gave him a name and worshipped him sort of. That worship persisted in murghoms and semphar, so when mulhorand conquered them we have apshai reintroduced to the Mulan.

He could have a few shrines in murghoms that are actually spellweaver portals.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2018 :  15:10:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well after a request for something on Tefnut I went off on a tangent and came up with the Temple of Lost Gods.

So Tefnut, Nut, Shu, and Ptah have no presence in Toril (according to canon), but that only works in the godcentric model of the realms.

In this version anyone can worship whoever they want (and receive spells, because you never know who you are receiving spells from). So if people wanted to worship Tefnut they could. But they don't.

So Tefnut had to either be unknown, or dead. So I'm killing Tefnut, Nut, and Shu off during the liberation of the Mulan from Imaskar.

Anubis survives to the Orcgate Wars (thanks to Tom Costa's article on Ancient Gods) because he is known as the guardian of dead gods and presumably was the god of death before Osiris became so in -1048 DR.

So Anubis establishes the Temple of Lost Gods in the Cliffs of Leaping Horses before the Orcgate Wars. A place guarded by his Divine Minions, where mulan could come to pay their respects to the long dead gods of Mulhorand.

Its location was lost following the civil war of Mulhorand (-1048 DR), and the reason is because the entire coastal shelf of Mulhorand is unstable (owing to the dwarves' use of the Elder Rune of Destruction long in the past). Every time the ship of the gods erupts or an earthquake strikes, a large chunk of Mulhorand's cliffs collapse into the sea (actually an entire section of the Underdark collapses so the sea floor lowers by a large chunk). The Temple of Lost Gods (and the settlement it was situated near) just fell into the sea one day. People have looked for it ever since but none have thought to look in the Alamber Sea for the temple.

Actually SOMEWHERE, I know there's mentioned a ruined temple of Ptah in the old empires region (think in southern Unther actually). I wish I could remember where, but I noted it a few years back on the forums. It may have been one of the online articles.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2018 :  15:26:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Into my next random mulhorandi god. Apshai is mentioned off and on but has no proper basis in canon that I know of.

His insect depiction doesn't really fit the mulhorandi theme (which are animal headed gods not a purely insectoid god).

My initial thoughts are to link apshai to the spellweavers that inhabited this region long before the humans and sarrukh.

It could be that apshai was the last surviving spellweaver of the node that existed on Toril. Maybe Ra and Anu and Enlil encountered him in the Fuirgar. Or alternatively Apshai is the imaskari slave pidgin corruption of Jergals spellweaver name. The imaskari encountered Jergal long ago (see GKs article) and so maybe the slaves gave him a name and worshipped him sort of. That worship persisted in murghoms and semphar, so when mulhorand conquered them we have apshai reintroduced to the Mulan.

He could have a few shrines in murghoms that are actually spellweaver portals.

Just curious for some clarification, so you know of no canon reference to Apshai for the realms, but you wanted to add one? Or is it the other way? I ask because IF there are some kind of canon references to Apshai, I'd be interested in using Apshai in a similar way you described (i.e. god of some insect like races). I would also note Apshai is a bit more beetle like than mantis like in the references I'm seeing, and might be more like a "scarab". However, it could be seen as an "eater of the dead"/carrion beetle, so it could fit with Jergal like that having a slightly different portrayal/form in this pantheon.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2018 :  15:39:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the temple of the splendour of splendour is somewhat misplaced in my opinion.

Easily remedied though since it is only believed to exist in chessenta but no one has actually ever found it so how would they know which god it is dedicated to. And in a god centric model where a god has no presence in the realms, what would be the point of erecting a temple to him.

I'm going to make the temple to ptah be a portal to elsewhere and it can be dedicated to ptah or not. In a non god centric model people can build whatever temples they like wherever they like.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2018 :  15:44:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are no canon references to apshai anywhere that I know of. But an article Tom Costa provided does have a write up on him so I'm going to put apshai into my version if only to spice up the otherwise stale mulhorandi pantheon.

I'm very glad you said he looks like a beetle. I tied the creation of scarabs to a flaw in the spellweaver rejuvenation process so now I can make apshai a hideous demigod like being who was once a spellweaver and his rejuvenation failed. Rather than be utterly destroyed however, apshais sentience persists in those scarabs beetles and he is now a swarm creature made of scarabs. Cheers sleeves

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page