Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2018 :  21:43:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was picturing something looking like THIS (minus the pointy ears), or THIS, or THIS for a male. Red-skinned, and maybe clothing/culture reminiscent of Persia (Yeah, I know we already have a Persia over in Semphar, but no-one every used the damn thing, and now there are dragons pooping all over it).

But with maybe some of the tattooing we see on the Dathomirian Zabrak (Darth Maul's race). So a psuedo-Persian vibe, but with tribal tattooing similar to Celtic. I suppose black shapes and symbols would be the most common, but there could be other colors (like white) to denote something special (like a religious order). Maybe something like THIS without the head-thingies for an example of white 'tattooing'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2018 :  23:12:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that its right near the Chondalwood, it could be interesting if my idea for the red mineral forest of Shyr were actually expanded. Basically, I had placed the red mineral forest next to Firetrees in Unther. However, what if there's another section of the exact same kind of trees and soil that transfers into portions of Sespech. I had been trying to figure out what to do with the ruins of Innarlith. Maybe these people transferred, but their homes didn't, and now they've taken over this old city.

I do like the imagery your describing as well and perhaps the two separate cultures may somewhat LOOK alike (i.e. red skin), but their cultures are vastly different somehow. I picture the ones in Sespech as more martial for instance. Maybe psionic as well.... of course, the sith imagery may be driving that.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2018 :  17:48:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its funny, but I just went looking for 'red skinned people' (and that's not easy - I had to word it so many different ways jst to find a few pics of something similar) - I hadn't intended to connect them to Jhaamdath or psionics, and there wasn't a lot of imagery for me to choose from.

And yeah, I was thinking along the same lines - whatever portion of of Abeir this region corresponds to, it probably has that 'red mineral' throughout it, so from Sespech across lower Chessenta on into Unther would have it, in different concentrations (depending on how much got swapped-out during the Spellplague - parts of Chessenta and nearly all of Sespech got hit hard).

So, like a Persian-esque style/culture, maybe Spanish (Moorish) architecture, but with a militant tradition (probably wherever they went in Abeir, they were under constant attack), and they're fighting style would be akin to the gracefulness of elves (like bladedancers, but with various, Asian-style weapons).

EDIT:
I am really loving This Vibe for Sespech, even though I've always complained we've had too any 'Middle-Eastern' style cultures already. The use of giant scorpions instead of elephants is pure win, IMO.

Maybe not Scorpions - I'll save that for somewhere else more fitting (like the desert region of Katshaka). But I do love the idea of something else taking the place of elephants. Maybe some sort of dino could work (although I wanted to save sauroids for katshaka as well). Something Like THIS would be kinda cool, and not dirivative or saurian-based. I need to look through the Athas creatures - I am sure I can find something there I can adapt.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Apr 2018 17:37:23
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2018 :  21:38:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I added a page about Spellweavers to try and tie in George Krashos' excellent article on Jergal Lord of the End of Everything with a few of my developing ideas about the origin of Untheric and Mulhorandi culture and a few stray quotes about a race that may have warred with the sarrukh long ago.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/races/spellweavers/

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2018 :  22:51:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Its funny, but I just went looking for 'red skinned people' (and that's not easy - I had to word it so many different ways jst to find a few pics of something similar) - I hadn't intended to connect them to Jhaamdath or psionics, and there wasn't a lot of imagery for me to choose from.

And yeah, I was thinking along the same lines - whatever portion of of Abeir this region corresponds to, it probably has that 'red mineral' throughout it, so from Sespech across lower Chessenta on into Unther would have it, in different concentrations (depending on how much got swapped-out during the Spellplague - parts of Chessenta and nearly all of Sespech got hit hard).

So, like a Persian-esque style/culture, maybe Spanish (Moorish) architecture, but with a militant tradition (probably wherever they went in Abeir, they were under constant attack), and they're fighting style would be akin to the gracefulness of elves (like bladedancers, but with various, Asian-style weapons).

EDIT:
I am really loving This Vibe for Sespech, even though I've always complained we've had too any 'Middle-Eastern' style cultures already. The use of giant scorpions instead of elephants is pure win, IMO.

Maybe not Scorpions - I'll save that for somewhere else more fitting (like the desert region of Katshaka). But I do love the idea of something else taking the place of elephants. Maybe some sort of dino could work (although I wanted to save sauroids for katshaka as well). Something Like THIS would be kinda cool, and not dirivative or saurian-based. I need to look through the Athas creatures - I am sure I can find something there I can adapt.

A people that really favor pole weapons would be interesting (spears, short spears, some doubleheaded pole weapons, etc..)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2018 :  05:54:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you seen Game of Thrones? I just realized the picture I have in my head is very similar to the culture in Dorne. I picture the men and their fighting like Oberyn Martell in this scene, so we are on the same page here (pole weapons rather then swords like usual)

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2018 :  12:12:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you seen Game of Thrones? I just realized the picture I have in my head is very similar to the culture in Dorne. I picture the men and their fighting like Oberyn Martell in this scene, so we are on the same page here (pole weapons rather then swords like usual)

Yes, I've seen it, and yes, its a good fit. Since they'd be on the border between jungle and the shaar, having them not carry swords or axes, but rather machete like weapons to be used as tools would also fit. Sespech was also a land of cavalry, so having horsemen would fit. However, if the horses have been eating the grass grown in the red earth, maybe its affected them as well. It might also fit quite well to not have this be "one people", but to have the population split between the people that possibly got transferred over to Abeir a year ago. Maybe even the two populations intermingled, and there's now some subtle shade between the red skin and the Chondathans with their mahogany skin and the other people of Sespech with their olive skin

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2018 :  18:53:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmm... I didn't want to create any sort of 'racial tension' thing. However, Ormpetarr seems to have been unaffected (mostly), while the rest of Sespech went bye-bye during the Spellplague, so folks in the capitol would still be 'normal colored' (and GAWD, did it feel uncomfortable typing that just now... which is why I wanted to avoid racial stuff).

Interesting - I had never thought about Sespechians having dark skin, and it was stupid for me not to. I pictured it having a bit of a Portuguese vibe (due mostly to Mapolq's work on the place). Its a good fit - a 'Moorish' (displaced Middle-Eastern) culture in a mostly Europe-like (Mediterranean) region. The Tashalar have the same vibe, and they are also Turami, and it makes sense the Turami got literally 'split' when Chessenta spear-headed into a mostly Turami-settled region.

So now I have to wonder, were the Jhaamdathans Chondathan (Dathite), Turami, or a mixture? I'm thinking a mixture would work best for us (hybridization often leads to superior mutations... like psionics).

I also found some interesting stuff regarding the history in SoFS, of all places. Apparently Steven Schend was actually using Jhaamdath (did he create it then?) to explain-away the confusing history in Old Empires. Many Vilhon scholars - purposely or not - have 'forgotten' Jhaamdath, and a lot of Jhaamdath's history has been respun as 'early Chondath' history (so the parts about Chondath trying to conquer Chessenta was really Jhaamdath, which makes sense now).

And thanks to your comment, I went looking to make sure I spelled Mapolq's name right, and looked at his Sespech thread, and found that I had discovered a few sites for him that I forgot to put into my own notes. Serendipitous, no? I have another fallen Realm (where Sespech is now - Maurmurra), as well a cool ruin (Castle of Beasts). SWEET.

And rereading the pertinent section in SotM, I found Nagarr had an old name, which I am now going to use as a new name for it (since they renamed it 'Kagarr' in 3e, and I hated that so kept both). Thus, now that the Sespechans are back from their interplaner field-trip, they've taken to calling the town by its original name - Yacla.

Getting back to the racial thing and other changes - the capitol is mostly olive-skinned (I always felt that was an odd turn-of-phrase... ah, well) like Sespechans are expected to be, but the returned folk are reddish, and although there has been some mixing (its only been about a decade), there is still a growing attitude of Apartheid (real or imagined). Further afield (literally), I just a little while ago took all the regional text and dropped it down to one layer, and now I see I am going to have a problem with The Golden Plains, which turned into Plaguewrought Lands in 4e. I had simply turned it back into what it was, but that's no longer optimal. I may rename it the 'Redgrass Plains', or some-such. Or, since the original grasses were yellow there, maybe they've been absorbing the red stuff over in Abeir so now they are orange? I hate using 'orange' because it also already a plant (and its one of the few damn colors that doesn't have an alternate name). Hmmmm... in heraldry a brownish-orange is know as Tenné. Perhaps the Tenné Plains?

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Apr 2018 06:11:15
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2018 :  00:59:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, the racial mix of Chondathans with their brownish/tawny skin and these red skinned folk may end up being the kind of blotchy that you were showing with the Star Wars folk. Rather than a smooth mixing of their color, maybe it end up with more of a mix of the red and brown/black. That might in fact be a significant look difference than say the folks that I put in Unther, and its because of the racial mixing.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2018 :  07:16:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the reddish skin tone is because of the strange mineral in the soil, which leeches into the water and everything else. I would assume that - if enough of the mineral 'came over' (which is what I plan), then the existing Sespechans (Ormpetarr, etc.) will gradually change as well. So the next generation nearly everyone will be red, unless they live in some remote place where the mineral hasn't tainted things yet. On the other hand, the mineral could eventually 'run out', because its source is probably back on Abeir (maybe) - I would think its a primordial (dead, alive, or sleeping).

So anyway, a culture like Dorne from GoT, with red skin, a military mindset, Moorish architecture, and instead of using elephants like Persia, I am thinking the use turtles of varying sizes. Smaller ones like 'pack animals', and really huge ones like (very slow) war elephants. Not sure though about turtles...I can't seem to make up my mind. Maybe something closer (looking) to a dragon-turtle.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Apr 2018 22:39:45
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2018 :  09:41:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I linked the stone colossus around mulhorand to the spellweavers and a war between the spellweavers and the sarrukh of okoth.

This means placing a spellweavers node in the old empires and I chose to place it in lake azulduth.

The order of events is the spellweavers attempted to enslave the sarrukh but they prove too strong, so next they attempt to eliminate the sarrukh by manipulating them to create/contact the phaerimm.
The ensuing war between phaerimm and sarrukh and spellweavers is only interrupted when the spellweavers contract a horrible disease known as the Darkness, which interrupts their rejuvenation process and turns them into piles of star shaped gems.

The spellweavers abandon their node and flee to the far corners of toril. They establish the colony of Eril in anauroch and later encounter the sarrukh again and try to destroy them by infiltrating their society and helping them create the nether scrolls.

At this point the history follows what George laid out in his article on Herba except that when the spellweavers perform the Disjunction the node in Azulduth goes into meltdown and creates a huge crater with a hill in the middle (the top of the node) as it melted the ground beneath it and sank.

I chose the name of the disease deliberately to link it to another disease that affects another nation in this region. Im thinking that i will have the disease actually be the hakeashar draining the magic while the spellweavers are rejuvenating. The spellweavers don't realise it is an extraplanar being killing them so they think it's a disease.

Herbal later uses these extra planar beings against one of his foes and it has a different end result (humans don't turn into gems when they die although their soul sometimes stays behind).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2018 :  12:31:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the reddish skin tone is because of the strange mineral in the soil, which leeches into the water and everything else. I would assume that - if enough of the mineral 'came over' (which is what I plan), then the existing Sespechans (Ormpetarr, etc.) will gradually change as well. So the next generation nearly everyone will be red, unless they live in some remote place where the mineral has tainted things yet. On the other hand, the mineral could eventual 'run out', because its source is probably back on Abeir (maybe) - I would think its a primordial (dead, alive, or sleeping).

So anyway, a culture like Dorne from GoT, with red skin, a military mindset, Moorish architecture, and instead of using elephants like Persia, I am thinking the use turtles of varying sizes. Smaller ones like 'pack animals', and really huge ones like (very slow) war elephants. Not sure though about turtles...I can't seem to make up my mind. Maybe something closer (looking) to a dragon-turtle.

You're going for cool, and I'm picturing this

https://www.cafepress.com/orderofthestick.1189554522

Sespech was known for horses and they got them from the Shaar, so I'd stick with that for the average soldier. However, maybe the elites are riding some dire animals... dire lions, sabre tooth tigers, dire cheetah, dire antelopes, dire wolves, dire jackals/hyenas, dire warthogs, dire ostrich (or axebeaks)... and some may have winged mounts (giant vultures, griffons, wyverns, etc...). Maybe even riding some normal but weird animals.. zebras, giraffes, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2018 :  00:20:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'll stick with horses for their cavalry then.

Still I want some 'kewl' large critters for at least pack animals, or to take the place of war elephants. I kinda like THIS GUY - would probably work even better down in the Shaar (which is right next to Sespech), plus that illustraton is already WotC property! (MtG - "Siege Rhino"). But for the BIG turtles I was thinking something like THIS. Something I can say lives in The Nagawater now (and doesn't like nagas/Yuan-ti).

And this is completely unrelated, but I just found it and I have to use it somewhere - Putting giant statues to good use.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2018 :  15:17:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess I'll stick with horses for their cavalry then.

Still I want some 'kewl' large critters for at least pack animals, or to take the place of war elephants. I kinda like THIS GUY - would probably work even better down in the Shaar (which is right next to Sespech), plus that illustraton is already WotC property! (MtG - "Siege Rhino"). But for the BIG turtles I was thinking something like THIS. Something I can say lives in The Nagawater now (and doesn't like nagas/Yuan-ti).

And this is completely unrelated, but I just found it and I have to use it somewhere - Putting giant statues to good use.

Yeah, I like that statue. It reminds me of what I was trying do do down in the Cliffside City of Peleverai with the concept of the elf and dwarf statue on the two sides.... except this drawing looks a heck of a lot better than what I did.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2018 :  13:53:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm looking at Mulhorand at the moment (got bored of Unther and Chessenta).

The big questions as usual begin with the gods. What the hell are they exactly. They were physical beings and therefore demigods and they had lots of children of which some were imbued with special powers and were called incarnations.

The mulhorandi gods were supposedly barred from ascending to true godhood by the imaskari planar barrier and yet I can find no instance of the mulhorandi gods taking any action or involvement in material plane life since shortly after the Orcgate War. The barrier was supposedly dissolved in 1358 DR so that is 2000 years without the gods doing anything noteworthy.

On to the government of the country I'm leaning towards each of the churches being given responsibility for a particular aspect of running the country. THe Church of Anhur runs the military, the church of Thoth runs magic and the wizards, the church of Isis runs the farms, the church of Nepthys is in charge of trade, the church of Osiris runs the courts, the church of Geb runs the mines, the church of Hathor runs the schools, the Church of Horus Re administers to the country as a whole and has oversight over all the other churches.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2018 :  16:25:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think of them like 'Chosen' - VERY mortal demigods... but still exarchs.

They weren't actually those gods - they never were. Here's how I see it: Ao's rules (or the way he set up the rules of the Crystal Sphere) is that 'Gods' cannot enter without permission (from him), but it does NOT cover the quasi-divine, since they can arise spontaneously (hero-worship, like what happened to the Red Knight). He may not want powerful beings from other spheres entering and wreaking havoc, but he still has to allow for a natural, organic religious growth on the world(s). Thus, in order to enter Realmspace, the Mulan gods pulled a scam - they put part of their divine essence into 'Mortal Vessels' (Chosen) and sent them through Arcane Space* to Toril. So rather than aspects/Avatars which we always assumed, those were just mortal demipowers who were sent, to represent them in Realmspace (and hopefully grow their power there, enough for them to eventually enter in-person).

The first generation were probably quite powerful, like Elminster or Khelben, but their bloodlines became diluted over time, as the power was 'spread thin'. The worship of the Pharonic and other Gods may have grown, but they were inadvertently counteracting it by allowing the power to get spread around, rather than just choosing one heir to it. So no gods, but still insanely powerful representatives of those gods (so picture a whole pack of 'Elminsters' fighting the Imaskari Artificers - it would have went very much like that battle between the Chosen and the Princes of Shade... and Tilverton got nuked).

*And since I think Arcane space is really just part of the ethereal, this makes even more sense - I never liked the whole 'the Egyptian Gods arrived by spaceship' take on that.

EDIT:
And to take this line of thought one step further - Gods CANNOT 'enter the realms'. Not in person. They never really have. The 'Avatars' we saw in the ToT were just that, and not really much more than Chosen (demipowers). Actual gods are NOT ALLOWED to walk around on Prime Material worlds, which is why they send avatars, and have Chosen. Ed has even said that although the gods are 'very active' in the Realms, most of the manifestations witnessed are just that - minor little things so that people know 'the gods are watching'. The god itself never really shows up. Even in the few cases we have where it appears so, those are just avatars, which are little more than a piece of the god's awareness stuffed into a fleshy vessel. It's just an extension of the God's thoughts; the God itself is still in the Outer Planes.

Thus, there really is almost no difference between a 'Chosen' and a 'Avatar', power-wise. Its just that one is far more autonomous than the other (and both CAN be killed, but they are tough as hell). In fact, to take this line of reasoning one step further, we might make the assumption that Avatars are ALWAYS 'Chosen' - living Proxies of a god. Anytime a God needs to create one (and they do so RARELY), it has to possess a mortal worshiper to create the Avatar. That could be another really cool way to curtail godly involvement and nerf their power a bit (because there are a TON of dangers involved in this, not the least of which is that they could lose that portion of their power if the Avatar is killed before they reclaim it, and 'good' gods would be loathe to do so, because reclaiming their power would mean the death of the vessel... which is always one of their more zealous followers).

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Apr 2018 16:43:44
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2018 :  17:45:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds a bit too much like the official explanation which just doesn't wash for me. If they are not the actual God then when the Avatar is killed it shouldn't matter one bit. Once the barrier drops Re is free to come back and so is all the untheric gods. Unless of course you make up days as machine rules to go with it.

If they weren't avatars, just an imbued vessel then the death of that vessel doesn't matter at all and everyone can carry on worshipping Re and all the untheric gods. Unless you make up more deus ex machina rules to prevent this.

I don't like deus ex machine, I don't like so either. Either they were true gods or they weren't. Either the barrier blocks all divinity or it doesn't. Special arbitrary rules don't cut it for me.

Now I think about it, I don't think the imaskari planar barrier was designed to block divine beings. I think they were making a massive dimensional anchor that prevented all planar activity in imaskari. So no teleporting, no summoning, no plane hopping. It keeps the realm safe from errant magic users summoning demons and from teleporting around to make mischief. It also had the side effect of completely blocking anyone contacting the divine or receiving spells from anything not on the material plane.

The Mulan gods could grant spells because they were material plane based (only demi gods). The imaskari could still maneuver around their massive empire because they had keys that allowed their portals and gates to be used in the barrier (which was basically the largest mutual ever constructed). Makes far more sense to me than a bunch of wizards who were largely unaffected by divine beings deciding to block them out.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2018 :  20:14:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the barrier blocked ALL gods, of ANY power level, then elves would not be allowed in Realmspace (according to the newest information in 5e).

I take that a step further though - EVERYTHING is 'part of God', and thus, divine. So it comes down to power-level - its just a power-level cap is all. If something has obtained 'deity' status somehow, it has to be vetted. Anything below 'lesser god' gets in (because demigods are just that - not quite gods). Come to think of it, this could even be one more reason why some uber-powerful beings choose NOT to become 'Gods' (be a deity). The rules completely change when you get to that tier (no direct participation in the Prime Material).

At no point in time did those supposed 'Mulan Gods' ever act like Gods, or showed power like that. they didn't even instantly defeat the Imaskari - it was a WAR. And then they had their arses handed to them by the Orcish Gods... when they are presumeably some fo the oldest and most powerful gods in existance.

No, those weren't who we think they were. Its better that way, anyway - makes them more 'Realmsian' (especially if we just say it was the avatar-energy that was sent to Toril, and it bonded with native Mulan when it got there). Eventually those religion caught on enough where the actual deities were able to have a presence, but like every other God (in this theoretical setup), they cannot act directly. All of Toril's gods must act through living Proxies, hence the need for 'Chosen' (or Saints, or exarchs, or whatever else you want to call them).

This also makes the 'Gods Kings' of Unther and Mulhorand much more like the classical Egyptian model - those were still 'mortals', but at the same time, worshiped as gods. They probably hoped to someday join the real pantheon. It seems the simplest solution here is to just say 'manifestation' is the Mulan term for what is called Avatars/Chosen elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2018 :  20:25:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is where I was going anyway. THey are not gods they are less, they are demi gods. They have a physical form and when it is killed they die.

They couldn't ascend because of the Imaskari Barrier (I don't think it extended beyond Imaskar's borders) so they remained demigods no matter how many worshippers they had (although ascending must be quite a scary concept, lose your physical form - essentially die - in he hope you will ascend to another level of existence, if you are wrong you are dead).

So they physically existed and did heroic things up until the Orcgate Wars and then they disappeared from history and never reappeared. They left governance to their descendants, ignored wars (some costly ones). Where were they hiding?

If the Imaskari Barrier were dissolved earlier than 1358 (I don't do Ao) who would know?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2018 :  19:54:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We usually do talk ourselves into the same corner... eventually.

For elsewhere in the Realms I didn't mind (well, I DID, but didn't really have any say about it) all the 'Godly Intervention', but OE has always given us a way out, because the lore specifically states that those weren't the 'Gods themselves', which gives us a LOT of play-room.

So they send Autonomous avatars to Realmspace (they'd have to be autonomous so that the Godswall wouldn't block them - the connection to the original god had to be severed), and then when they arrive, they immediately merge with locals, creating the 'Greater Manifestations' (basically, Chosen). This means that although we have some RW deities (which a lot of people never liked), they were never really those beings - they were always Realms-specific powers. I suppose the eventual plan was to re-merge with the 'The Godhood' in the outer planes, once they were entrenched on Toril, but that never really came about - several of them 'jumped ship' for other pantheons, many were killed, and the few that were left - most left in disgust for home (the whole enterprise just fell apart).

I like that take - it makes them seem more FR-friendly, and it also allows me to broaden some of that to the Heartlands (what I theorized above - that the ACTUAL God may NOT step foot in the Prime Material, as per some 'ancient accords', or some-such). A God must act through proxies, which means if they want complete control, they have to send an avatar and merge it with a devout follower, but maintaining that sort of control 'burns out' the mortal's physical form, so it is usually better for them to just relinquish control back to the mortal (leaving them with the 'spark' of their power). This is how Saints/Chosen are created. Its almost like a Suel-Lich possession. The God 'uses them', and then leaves them behind, forever changed by the experience.

In Elminster's case, this could have been when he was Elmara.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2018 :  21:07:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found more lore on Hazlan in the ravenloft gazetteer I. Turns out the Nameless King brought the Mulan and Rashemmi people to Hazlan 1100 years ago.

Back to trying to figure out what event could have brought a group of people to Ravenloft. Who would the Nameless King be, what is the twist (there is always a twist in Ravenloft)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  10:35:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gradually building up Mulhorand.

So I have tried to come up with a government that allows for politics while being real enough to actually work.

I've divided the government into sections roughly analogous to what exists in the Old Empires sourcebook.

The Pharaoh is the head of state and has the power of policy and veto for all areas of the government, whether central or regional.

The Pharaoh largely devolves power to the Vizier who rules in his stead and administers to all the daily tasks required of the Pharaoh.

Below the Pharoah/Vizier are the Ministries. These offices are held by the most senior priests of each church, with one church being granted total control of a single ministry. There are ministries of Law (Osiris), Trade (Nephthys), the Realm (Horus-Re), Wisdom (Thoth), Mountain (Geb), etc. These ministries are responsible for implementing the central government policies decided by the Pharaoh/Vizier and the Minister of an Office is immediately a member of the council that advises the Pharaoh/Vizier. They are also responsible for assisting local government in assisting the regional policies. The Ministries are permanently held by the same church and cannot be removed unless by order of the Pharaoh himself with a majority vote from the council.

Below the Ministry are the Precepts. The holders of these offices are decided by the Pharaoh (Vizier in practice) and are usually given as a reward to senior priests from the churches. They rule regions of Mulhorand and have the power/responsibility to implement regional policies with the assistance of the local temples.

Outside of this hierarchy are the Divine Precepts. These are the Incarnations (Oblaran) of the gods, and hold no direct power in government unless given an honorary title and responsibility (to not hold an honorary title is a great dishonor), however the Divine Precepts are the titular heads of church and so wield great power within and without regional/local government (albeit indirectly). The Divine Precepts can overrule any orders given by the ministry which his church commands. Divine Precepts are usually not the holders of Ministry titles or Precept titles (with the exception of Horus-Re).

I've also been working on some more of the history. I don't like the real world approximation of Set killing Osiris by making him sit in a chair and then Nephthys raising him from the dead. I'm thinking that when Re died, the empire of Mulhorand collapsed. Each Divine Precept (back then the rulers of a region) consolidated their power in their region and after several years a few began to exert their power and attempt to conquer the regions of others.
Set (Divine Precept of Priador) and Osiris (Divine Precept of Mishtan) allied together and managed to subdue opposition with Osiris claiming the title of Pharaoh for himself (and Set his Vizier). But during the coronation Osiris was poisoned. A second and much bloodier civil war erupted with Set and Sebek (and perhaps Bast - a possible reason for her leaving that doesn't include anything divine/pantheon related, Set just convinced her that he was innocent and Horus was lying) on one side against Horus and his allies. Horus and his allies claimed that Set poisoned Osiris although there is no proof.
Ultimately Horus prevails and claims the power of Re for himself although Nephthys siphons some away during the ritual of investiture into Osiris (raising him from the dead). Set flees into exile and Sekras is later destroyed once Mulhorand rebuilds itself.

So during this period of civil war and rebuilding Mulhorand contracts back to ruling only the nation of Mulhorand and it takes a long time for them to retake Priador from Narfell/Raumathar

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  10:16:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm away from my notes write now but does mulhorand have a currency that we know about.

If not what would people expect as a currency for the oldest surviving nation in faerun.

Given it's centralised control of everything through the churches would imprinted papyrus notes issued at a bank be acceptable (mulhorandi only).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  13:20:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Found more lore on Hazlan in the ravenloft gazetteer I. Turns out the Nameless King brought the Mulan and Rashemmi people to Hazlan 1100 years ago.

Back to trying to figure out what event could have brought a group of people to Ravenloft. Who would the Nameless King be, what is the twist (there is always a twist in Ravenloft)

Technically the Arkaiun barbarians are kind of like "Rashemmi" as they're people from Shandaular who bred with Illuskans from Ruathym.... and 1100 years prior to 1357 there were some Mulans chasing Arkaiuns down in the Shaar following the fall of Eltabranar. Also, Eltab was imprisoned beneath Thaymount, so in theory his armies may have been in the Priador and may have included Rashemmi (he did rule them 3 centuries prior, so there may have been some who conspired with him still). Would be possibly interesting if some Myrkul followers "escaped" by travelling to Ravenloft, or perhaps some warlocks/cultists of Eltab. However, another factor to consider is that people's actual recollections in Ravenloft are often fake memories.... so take that whole story with a hefty grain of salt. You can have whole kingdoms that have only existed for weeks that "remember" what happened two centuries back.

204 DR Year of the Avarice
End of the War of Claws as Eltabranar is defeated by the forces of Mulhorand led by an incarnation of Anhur wielding the legendary blade Hadryllis. The demon lord Eltab is defeated and imprisoned in a demoncyst beneath what is now Thaymount in present-day Thay.

211 DR Year of Spoiled Splendors
The four tribes of Arkaiun barbarians flee the Council Hills region ahead of invading Untheric and Mulhorandi armies and migrate southwest. They roam the grasslands along the southern coast of Faerűn, eventually settling along the coast of the Bay of Dancing Dolphins.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 03 May 2018 13:28:09
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  14:36:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit the lore on eltab is a bit confusing at times.

Eltab rules rashemmi but is booted out by the witches and flees to the shaar. Why there. What was he looking for or did he intend to go further south but the witches tracked him down and imprisoned him.

Eltab then gets bound into service for the arkauins. He obviously manipulates them on into attacking the Mulan, but why, did he want eltabranar to lose so he could be captured and thus released from his now of servitude.

The Mulan destroy the armies of eltabranar (but the nation doesn't fall until some years later). Eltab is captures and led all the way north to the thaymount. How on earth do the Mulan manage to March a demon Lord for that far without getting murdered, I don't care how magic hadryllis is, eltab is a supra genius.

So I have to assume that eltab being captured so early on in the mulan campaign against eltabranar was a deliberate act on his part. I must then assume that eltab wanted to go to the thaymount.

Now it says he is imprisoned in a demoncyst but how can a demoncyst be located beneath the thaymount if he hasn't been bound there yet. The thaymount is a long way from dun orthass and it seems coincidence that a demoncyst just happened to appear in the depths of a former fortress of the sarrukh and narfell and raumathar. I'm wondering if he was bound and that created the demoncyst.

What if however the intention was not to bind him. The mulhorandi banished wendonai, if imagine they would want to banish any fiend to prevent them from returning for many centuries. Unfortunately it doesn't work on eltab, he cannot be dismissed.
So eltab lays the foundation of a huge portal beneath the thaymount that they could force him through and block it up to prevent his return.

The Mulan March eltab across mulhorandi territory, up the escarpment to the ancient fortress and into the depths of its dungeons where they find the great gate not unlike the ones used by imaskari.

They push eltab through (eltab is hoping he will be allowed to physically leave toril) and it all goes really wrong. Eltab and all the Mulan and their rashemmi slaves are pulled into Ravenloft. All their personal memories are wiped clean and they are stuck in the domain of dread.

So they know they are Mulan and what Mulan are (or rashemmi), they know how to do certain things, but they don't know who they are.

Eltab is the nameless king. He eventually regains his memories (through some gruesome means) and departs Ravenloft in a great catastrophe several centuries later.

I just need to double check my Ravenloft facts and make sure eltab didn't do anything in the time he was bound beneath the thaymount and then I can try and use that to explain what the hell was going on and more importantly why, I always need the why to make sense from a person point of view.

George if you are reading your input would be most appreciated as you've dealt with eltab a lot in your sandbox.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  14:39:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense, but some of those ministries sound kind of silly. Ministry of Wisdom (because priests of other religions aren't wise?)? Ministry of Mountain?

What about the Ministry of Magic and Technology, Ministry of Mining and Earthen Concerns, Ministry of Trade and Treasury, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  14:51:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked single words so I could translate them with a lexicon I kindly received, it's not complete enough to allow for longer titles, plus ministry of magic is Harry potter and thoth is about more than just magic. The translations are meant to be approximate so in Mulan it has more meaning

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  20:43:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the currency of Mulhorand is the Precept and the Pharaoh, slightly uninspiring.

Looking at Eltab I can see nothing happening involving Eltab until 684 DR when Errendil Tarrik travels to the Thaymount and uses the Shiftglass of Orthass on the Demoncyst and becomes possessed by Eltab.

What is a shiftglass and what does it do. Eltab's next mention in 684 DR is a little over 3 centuries after his arrival in Hazlan which roughly coincides with the death of the Nameless King. Perhaps the Shiftglass allows the user to view/contact anyone no matter their location. Perhaps it pierced the mists of Ravenloft and allowed the Nameless King to escape by possessing Errendil (his memories suddenly returning when the mists were pierced). He faded from Ravenloft (died peacefully) and things carry one as canon without anyone knowing any different, after all he's trapped inside a giant demoncyst which I'm guessing doesn't have a viewing window so nobody could look inside to see if he was actually there.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2018 :  03:21:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The demoncysts are explained in the write-up of Eltab in "Champions of Ruin".

The Shiftglass of Orthass can be anything you want it to be ...

As for how Eltab got to the Eastern Shaar, I'm guessing he used the portal at Shandaular (somehow getting it to work for him).

Keep going, I'm enjoying this.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2018 :  07:58:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I think I'm done with eltab for now (until I get to thay). I'm satisfied he was not involved in anything on toril for at least 4 centuries, during that time he was isolated inside a vast festering pustule (or so people thought) and so no one could be sure if he was there or not. Which gives me free reign to do as I want. All I need is a legend about the vanishing army atop thaymount and I can allude to mists shrouding the fortress during that fateful day and that's it done. It also explains why eltabranar was beaten but shaundaular didn't fall until later and the council hills massacre didn't happen until even later and why unther occupied the shaar and not mulhorand.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page