Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  00:01:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was this thread where we were talking about the DoD stuff (and how you were merging some of it with the Tan Chin stuff). I just found-out (accidentally) that there is a small bit of lore concerning some of those DoD sites in Sandstorm from 3e. I am currently looking for something else (an obscure source footnote for the wiki, and I can't find the right page, dammit, so I have to READ THE WHOLE BOOK). Now you know why maps take me forever - the research never ends (but it is fun).

Anyhow, a couple of other things that struck me - there is a blurb in there that says the Plains of Purple Dust are "the remnant of a magical battle BETWEEN the deities of the ancient empires of Unther and Mulhorand". Now, most-likely that's an error on the part of a writer not completely familiar with FR (or just a bad choice of wording), but it would be fun to speculate on: Could it be possible that the Imaskari had little to do with the apocalypse that destroyed them? They were just blamed for it after the fact, by embarassed gods?

The other thing from that source is the goddess Tem-Et-Nu - female, goodly, involved with water. Sounds like an alias for Tefnut. I may use that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Dec 2017 17:06:22
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  13:32:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Daz, I know you're not into the god stuff, but I just have to share this)

So, it was really weird this morning when my girlfriend came to the table this morning. She reads to her daughter Jade every night before bed. Previously it was the magic tree house series, and then some other modern versions of similar. I gave her an old book of Russian fairy tales which aren't necessarily adapted for kids (in that they don't necessarily make sense to the modern reader). However, even though she and Jade didn't understand everything going on, she and Jade enjoyed it. So, I recommended she look into some of the kid's fantasy books, and so she picked up some series about "the dark". So, she would come to me and tell me about what was going on in those novels in the mornings, and I would recognize some of the creatures/things involved, but I honestly think the author was making up some stuff for his own world (which is fine, its what we do). Anyway, I'm a big Norse junkie, so when I saw that Rick Riordan (of Percy Jackson & the lightning thief fame) had started a series on the Norse... even though it was for kids, I picked it up and read it myself. So, I recommended she try this guy out. Well, she's heard me read some of the (not kiddified) Norse myths to Jade when she was about five, so she was leery (blood, etc....). But, she saw the name in scholastic reader for some Egyptian version (the Kane series), and so she bought them.

So, this morning, she comes to the breakfast table, and she's telling me all about how Rick Riordan has portrayed the gods in that version (bear in mind, I'm telling this third hand, and my girlfriend is by no means a geek into mythology like me). Basically, the gods in that series are like possessing spirits, and the wizards are people who are touched by the gods somehow. The concept of father/mother/son, etc... is often confused by the possessed because they themselves are often children/siblings/parents, etc.... Given how incarnations are done in Mulhorand and that the various royal houses interbreed with one another, this could be an interesting way to explain confusion about godly "births" in Mulhorand.

So, then my girlfriend goes on to tell me the story I just related above about how there were 360 days in the Egyptian calendar, and Geb had impregnated Nut. Ra foresaw that one of their children would overthrow him, so Ra forbade Nut from giving birth on any day of the year. So, Thoth chooses to gamble with the moon, and in his great power of gambling, he earns 5 extra days of moonlight, which he spreads out separate from the "rest of the year". So, in this version Nut gives birth to 5 children, not four, on these five extra days of the year, and those five children include Horus as well. Since Horus does in fact take over from Ra in the realms AND Horus is labeled a young god in powers and pantheons AND since Ra may have deliberately not wanted Horus to come over AND since Ao prior to the ToT let gods come and go willy nilly if they could find a way COULD Horus have been "birthed into the realms via Isis through her mother"..... you know, the ultimate F/U from Nut to Ra from across the multiverse.

Throw into this that there were actually according to accounts possibly 2 different "Horus". Horus the elder was the one that was the brother of Osiris, Isis, Set, and Nephthys. Horus the younger was the child of Isis and Osiris. What if we were to actually pursue this concept. Basically, Ra is killed. Horus the elder is given Ra's might. Horus the elder dies (Set or maybe the orc gods do it). Osiris and Set begin quarrelling over who will lead. Nephthys covers herself with an illusion of Isis and sleeps with Osiris (maybe... the myths have this). Set kills Osiris. Isis and Nephthys gather the body of Osiris, and Isis goes to get something to bring him back. Set tricks Nephthys into revealing where the body is, chops up Osiris, and spreads the body parts around. Isis and Nephthys gather the body parts, put them back together, but they can't find Osiris' penis.... but they bring him back to life anyway. During this process, Isis becomes "pregnant" by the "undead" Osiris and flees to give birth to Horus the younger (maybe Nephthys worked to provide the seed of Osiris she had gotten previously). Osiris is unfit to rule since he "is no longer whole", and he becomes god of the underworld. Horus the younger (aka Horus-Re) and Isis live in exile for a time while Set rules, and then they come back and Horus-Re takes over.

In this concept, during this time away, perhaps certain other deities of Unther were formed. For instance, we have this story that Ishtar gives up her power to Isis. But what if Ishtar was Isis from the beginning, and she basically took up a position amongst the Untheric people when Inanna died. Since there was an established peace between Unther and Mulhorand, Set couldn't touch Isis/Ishtar while she was in Unther without starting a godswar, so maybe this is where she fled to hide and give birth to Horus-Re/Horus the younger.

Finally, on the quote that Markustay just put (the Plains of Purple Dust are "the remnant of a magical battle BETWEEN the deities of the ancient empires of Unther and Mulhorand")... one of the things that comes to mind is that possibly there was a conflict as both divine families tried to become dominant in the region. While Ao didn't stop deities from showing up, he did try and stop deities from overlapping portfolios in the same pantheon prior to the ToT. Normally, this was worked out in the Pavilion of Cynosure, far away from mortals.... but these gods can't leave Toril. This "conflict" may have been destroying gods, and with their destruction, their manifestations got destroyed? When their manifestations destroyed, nastry destruction in Raurin. Eventually, the gods lead their people away, just because they can't exist in the same place... so its about godly self-preservation.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  15:12:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By all means post god stuff, i most likely wont use it but i always read and consider any idea.

In the first empire the gods of mulhorand are real physical beings (demigods).
The incarnations are people chosen by the church to be invested with divine power. Its a special ceremony that actually does infuse some divine essence into the being (making them chosen like but i dont do chosen as a template, the chosen of mystra were beings also infused by a ceremony making it just a title of that church).

So any sister brother mother daughter father som ickiness will be down to the incarnations and them marrying the demigods. I may make the title of incarnation translate into rauric as something very close to a term for close relative (gender neutral) so that when mulhorand and unther form they already begin to corrupt their origin language and mythologies with mistranslation.

So incarnation means 'of the heavenly ones' originally and when people heard the tales of the raurin empire (the century after imaskars fall) they got confused and came up with a lot of incest nonsense by mistake (the demigods themselves live in their towers and dont really care and then they ascend to true godhood after -700 DR well the mulhorandi demigods do).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  16:55:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, after reading the above myth..... I'm thinking about making an artifact... the Penis of Osiris.... and laugh if you will, maybe its part of the secret of the "rebirth" of the Mulhorandi gods.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  17:24:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is already the Rod of Life. It may be called the Ankh of Life but its a simple name change

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  17:27:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like that take on them - sometimes I think some 'Young Adult' series have more creativity than adult ones. I'll probably go that route myself - the 'spirit' (aspect/avatar) of the god is passed down through family members. And since RW egyptian (and other) mythos sometimes had conjoined gods, that would be a great way to work that in (if a mortal had a divine bloodline through BOTH parents to different Pharonic entities).

Ya know, Dazzler, for a person who tries to steer clear of 'god stuff', trying to develop the Old Empires here in a thread is like trying to take a pleasant stroll through a mine-field.

I like the idea that imaskar wasn't nearly as destroyed as Mulan history says it was - this may be a great way to fudge some inconsistencies. After all, the Shou are (canonically) known for altering their history, and they are an imaskari survivor state, so why not the Old Empires as well? Maybe this 'revisionist history' even started with the Imaskari themselves ("These poor folks were living very primitive lifestyles and were in danger, so we brought them here to protect them, and they earn their keep by doing work for us").

So perhaps Inupras(sp?) got nuked, but the real damage to the surrounding region happened gradually, as the two (really three) pantheons fought to be dominant. This would also help explain the odd dating for when Skuld was founded (it would have just been a 'backwater' settlement, and then when the Raurin was completely destroyed, it became the new capitol). The Mulan seem to have just 'erased' those first 5-7 centuries of strife from their records.

Whereas nearly all in-setting sources for the Old Empires can now be considered 'tainted' (revisionist history), a core sourcebook (like Sandstorm) might be considered untainted (unbiased by the setting itself), and thus, more true.

And I never did find that entry in Sandstorm - two footnotes in the Wiki under the Almraiven entry with 'notable locations', and neither of them were in the book. I'm starting to not trust the wiki again - seems like someone snuck-in some homebrew and put a false reference in there to hide it.

Ya know, I'm bad enough about over-researching and never finishing anything without some self-indulgent fanboi sending me on a wild goose chase.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Dec 2017 17:29:05
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  17:57:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the lore does already point to a mulan empire in raurin, it is just never developed beyond single sentences.

Ive made a bit of a history for raurin and have the empire last a little over a century before the desert causes it to fail (a bit netherese esque but deserts dont just appear they develop).

You guys can continue to discuss your god stuff. I will continue ranting about how much i hate the god stuff and everyone will be happy (well almost everyone)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  19:37:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The funny thing is, I NEVER use gods in my games. I just like theorizing about them.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  21:45:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oddly, I didn't use gods a whole lot in my game previously, but the last few times I PLAYED ..... I've been a god.... kinda... one game we played it was a "far future earth that's reverted to fantasy"... and my character thought he was Thor "reborn"... the Marvel one.... it was fun "remembering" being a doctor, Iron Man, Captain America, etc.... I played it to the hilt.

The next game, I played an elf wizard with a single level of cleric of Frey. Its amazing how much I put my worship of Frey into that character (though I played up my relationship with my brother more).

I just started a 3.5 d20 modern game (I know the rules barely), but my character in this one is not a god or a child of a god. However..... my half-sister is a daughter of Hecate. Oh, and my dad is a son of Oghma who was inflicted with cancer by Kiputytto (so I guess I AM a son of a demigod). My dad's being taken care of by my grandmother (she says she's a daughter of Thunderbird... I don't know if she means the wine or the Indian mythological figure). Oh, and I got a couple cousins, one of which is Annabeth Chase and a daughter of Athena, whose boyfriend is this jackass Percy Jackson... who got SOOOOO "rewritten" in his humility in that movie Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. The other cousin is Magnus Chase, who is now dead.... but he likes to visit since he's an einheriar and a son of Frey, but he has this "foreign" friend Samirah who is a Valkyrie who I don't trust. But, I'm not a god.... I'm just an ex-CIA desk/computer agent who was kicked out for going AWOL to rescue my sister from a bunch of vampire cultists of Lamashtu in Syria who wanted to drink her blood.

Oh, and my backstory has all kinds of stuff where my families involvement in the middle east has been going on for years (i.e. my Dad tried to help with the Iran hostage crisis, but Jimmy Carter called him nuts for telling him the "truth" about what was going on with an Efreeti. My mom (a normal human) was capture and abused during the gulf war in Kuwait. I joined the CIA after 9/11. I was in Afghanistan when I found out from my dad that my sister had been taken by Syrian vampires. I rescued her, but I needed a transfusion. When I got some of my sister's blood in me, it awakened me to magic. So, I came back home to Massachusetts and entered Miskatonic University where I've been studying magic and how one can apply it with technology.... oh, and getting tips from that TV series Supernatural, because you know that's real.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 11 Dec 2017 21:46:38
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2017 :  21:45:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trying to add a few flavour events for Gilgeamesqs early years. So for instance he strangled the dread wyrm of sardoch and forced open the golem gates of inupras.

Not sure if ill keep them as is, just trying to add a few throw away lines for later development.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  12:02:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So latest stuff in Unthalass.

The city is split into two halves. With the River Alamber running between them.

The northern half is where the slaves and free holders live.

The southern half is where the palace district is. Its literally filled with ziggurat style multi tiered palaces all in homage of gilgeamesq's grand palace and seat of government, the ziggurat of eternal victory.

In the river mouth is a large island that houses the grand bazaar where merchants from all around come to trade. It has bridges that extend north and south over the river (both bridges have gatehouses and traffic is strictly controlled)

Both the northern and southern quarters have port facilities. The southern ones are for the big boats and are very expensive. The northern one is a wonky wooden jetty or two extending out into a mudbank. Gilgeamesq will destroy the southern docks during 1356 DR when he battles a dragon turtle.

Beneath the city are two distinct but linked layers of under city which correspond to the two floods that buried the city in silt.
The first layer is where the cult of tiamat thrives and other outcast groups from above. The deeper layer is filled with spooky monsters like Ereshikigul, and creatures known as "the buried". These monsters prey on the citizenry above and there are a lot of stories about the boogiemen who eat little children etc which are based on the predations of these monsters.

Im undecided upon where the big arena will be located. It cant be in the southern quarter as the nobles would never let the freebooters and slaves in to watch and it cant be in the southern quarter as the nobles would never set foot in that hovel. So im thinking another island in the river mouth.

As for Ereshikigul. Im thinking at the moment that she was a renegade godking from Akanu known as Ere-Shiki, who sided with the elves and fey against Akanu. Ghul is an untheric word for snake.
Gilgeamesq captured Ere-Shiki and brought her in chains to Adanu. When he became king of Akanu he started experimenting on her and twisted her form into a half human, half serpent with strange powers (like the ability to petrify people with a look or twist their form with a touch). She was left abandoned in Adanu's dungeons when Gilgeamesq became godking of Unther. When Adanu was flooded (the same year as the flood of Unthalass), Ere-Shiki escaped and followed Gilgeamesq to Unthalass where she waits her chance for revenge.

Just a few ideas thus far

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2018 :  21:31:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After a short break for Christmas I'm back and working on Gil-Geamesq.

Here is what I have so far. He's the same awful lunatic as before but now with added depravity.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/gil-geamesq/

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2018 :  21:30:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a few more details to Unther

Togas made from iridescent dyed fabrics

A ruby red heavily spiced liqueur called Serthe that is made from human blood. It was originally made with blood let from the godkings and their first born and consumed by family to promote health and fertility but later became made from slave blood and is now only exported to foreign countries (never consumed at home). Few foreigners are able to imitate Serthe as none would imagine it is made from human blood (which is difficult to obtain legally in civilised regions).

I have noticed that the Wizards Reach and Altumbel region have been colonised and conquered about 4 separate times now.

First colonised by Unther. Then destroyed by orcs. Then recolonized. Then destroyed by demons. Then recolonized by Unther. Then declares independence.

I figure after Unther lost the cities after the Orcgate Wars it would attempt to recolonize. However the next nation in that region is Narfell.

I figure that after the Orcgate Wars not all the Nar and Rashemmi tribes returned home. A few probably stayed behind and became natives in the region. Maybe the Nar even formed one of the petty kingdoms that Narfell conquered during its expansion (like Ashanath).

Unther likely used the Wizards' Reach cities as a beachhead to land on during the Orcgate Wars and then turned those forts into colonies after the war was over. Ultimately though they lose the settlements to the native Nar and Rashemmi who then lose to Narfell and then summon demons and wipe everything out once again.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2018 :  01:01:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres a good reason why the Yuirwood is full of half-elves... where do you think all those refugees fled every time the coast got destroyed?

They wait for stuff to cool down, and then they go back and rebuild. Sometimes a generation of three later.

And suddenly I am struck with the image of a 'redneck elf' with a piece of hay sticking out of his teeth, saying, "Them damn refugees coming in here in our country, and breeding with our wimenfolk! Taint natural, I tell ya!"

Ummmm... didn't they even build a HUGE wall? {ducks head and runs}

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jan 2018 01:02:24
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2018 :  16:36:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im toying with the idea that those imbibing vials of serthe (the ancient stuff over 2000 years old from the first untheric empire) actually have a small chance to gain a random ability for a random amount of time from the godking who provided the blood.

There could be caches of the stuff hidden in old abandoned temples. That would give players a reason to go poking around in old ruins. There would be no gold as gilgeamesq and his soldiers would have cleared that out long ago when he tore down the temple, but serthe was no longer valued so it would have likely been left behind.

It also provides a way to bring back those dead godkings. Gather all their relics and a few gallons of serthe and sacrifice them over the remains of the godking and hope he gets reborn.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 06 Jan 2018 16:38:03
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2018 :  21:13:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So 427 DR is the start of Chessenta breaking away from Unther. The Mage Purges in Shoon cause a large scale migration of magic users out of Shoon lands, a significant number of these magic users end up in the Wizards' Reach. They then cause the Southern Coast of Thay to rebel which weakens Unther and allows Chessenta to rebel. The Wizards' Reach even attempts to expand into Threskel which helps Chessenta's rebellion.

Added some details about the Banespear and Mount Thulbane to allude to a combat between Assuran and Bane on its slopes.

Also put a nod in for Kalzareinad and Maladraedior being his last worshipper. I made Kal-Zarein a god of secrets from Akanu who is rumoured to have colluded with TiaMa'at to learn magic and who fled south when Gil-Geamesq became King of Akanu.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2018 :  14:41:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Updated Unther quite a bit. Detailed the Uthangol Mountains and added in an old fortress from the time of the First Empire.

I've made the Iron Citadel (in the Uthangol Mountains) the headquarters for a sauroid race known as the Gaund. These Gaund were once sarrukh of Okoth but like many clans they used their body shaping magics on themselves too much and were branded no longer sarrukh by the leaders of okoth. This prompted the civil war (many clans practiced bodyshaping on themselves) that destroyed Okoth and led to the planewalking.

Now the Gaunds are a subterranean race of lizardmen with 3 red eyes and grey skin that are exceptionally intelligent. They once lived in the Lake of Steam region but were hunted to extinction there by beholders and have long since returned to the Smoking Mountains, Black Ash Plains and Uthangol Mountains.

Their purpose will be as a foil to the sarrukh of okoth who are trying to infiltrate Unther and Mulhorand through the various cults.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  12:25:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. I need the help of experts on the Shaar as the history of Unther impacts the history of the Shaar quite a bit and as typical for FR its confusing and contradicting.

So there is a quote that prior to the Orcgate Wars the empire of Unther has control of the Shaar and Dambrath etc. That means sometime between -2000 DR and -1000 DR Unther controls large swathes of land in the eastern and possibly central Shaar.

However around 205 DR Eltabranar attacks Mulhorand and Unther. Eltabranar is located in the Eastern Shaar and therefore that means sometime between -1000 DR and 200 DR Unther lost control of its provinces.

Then around 400 DR Shoon and Unther come into conflict in the Central Shaar and both empires eventually lose control of the whole region. This means that between 200 DR and 400 DR Unther regains control over Central and Eastern Shaar and then loses it all in a war with Shoon.

To further muddy the waters the Dwarves of the Great Rift have not been in conflict with the surface for the last 200 years and they hold a grudge against Unther and will not trade with them. Does this mean Unther and the Great Rift had a war around 200 years ago (unlikely given Unther's current state and its decline since GIlgeam's accession) or does it mean Unther and the Great Rift went to war much longer ago and the Great Rift had another war with surface dwellers in the Shaar 200 years ago.

Also in Dambrath I know the Arkauins of Eltabranar headed south and merged with natives to form the natives of Dambrath before it was conquered by the drow and then ruled by the crinti. But the queen of Dambrath is preparing in case Unther comes to reclaim its territory. Does this mean Unther took Dambrath from the Arkauins (pursued them to Dambrath and subjugated them thus establishing the cities of Dambrath after 200 DR) or is there a recent conflict.

My initial thoughts are as follows.

Unther expands around -1300 DR to conquer the Eastern Shaar and the lands of Luiren and Dambrath. -1076 DR the Orcgate opens and Unther pulls all its troops out of southern lands to fight the wars.
-1064 DR Ashanath opens a portal founding its twin capital of Shaundalar in the COuncil Hills. THis means Unther effectively loses control of the Eastern Shaar and all lands south which degenerate into nomadism once more. Unther doesn't care about the loss of colonies however as it is dealing with the destruction of most of its godkings.

-946 DR Shaundaular is destroyed.

-734 DR Gilgeam is crowned God-King of Unther and expansion begins once again. Slowly Unther begins to encroach upon the former territory of Shaundaular coming into conflict with the natives.

Sometime between -734 and 100 DR is when Unther established/acquired Peleveran possibly taking it from the gold dwarves that lived there originally.

205 DR Eltabranar attacks Unther and Mulhorand conquering the settlements in Central and Eastern Shaar and southern parts of Unther and Mulhorand.

210 DR Unther and Mulhorand defeat Eltabranar. The Arkauins flee south to Dambrath pursued slowly by Unther.

300 DR Unther occupies Dambrath and subjugates the Arkauins again establishing cities like Shantil and Hazuth.

420 DR Unther and Shoon go to war. Unther is unable to control far flung provinces in Dambrath and Luiren so they become effectively independent.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  21:46:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/the-church-of-the-all-father/

Finished an outline of the Church of Gil-Geamesq, I've tried to explain away how Zimrilim manages to keep hold of power when Gil-Geamesq in unpredictable and his underlings are all as ambitious and amoral as himself (he consumes large quantities of serthe which has imbued him with enhanced attributes and innate magical abilities, as well as extending his life.

Also tried to explain how the Citadel of Black Ash from Powers and Pantheons has a senior priest with the title of Autarch which sounds far too much like a title from western faerun. I've created a growing cult of Bane within the church that will be using the title Autarch which is corruption of old Netherese words which spread to Amn and then to the Vilhon and Chessenta/Threskel before Autarch Kabarrath Telthaugh (before he granted himself the title of Dread Imperceptor and split from the Orthodox Church to create the True Church of Bane).

Now that I've covered all the major organisations and settlements its time to go back and populate everything with people and items and history.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2018 :  15:57:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added my own take on the altar of scales, malise, and kolchis into the cult of the queen of chaos and unthalass pages.

By 1373 DR it will be the Altar of Scales, but for now it is a ruined former temple to Amar-Du'uk, with an enchanted pool of dragons blood at its centre (used to create dragon bane weapons), a former alchemist who is trying to create his own draconic monsters, and a gaund pretending to be a lizardman who acts as caretaker while keeping an eye and ear out for anything sarrukh related.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  01:00:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you know there were a pair of Rakshasa necromancers (Al'Chazar Rakshasa, 3e MM3, pg.135) operating out of Unthalas in 3e? They were stirring unrest in Chessenta as well. I wonder what sort of things may have happened to them when it all went to Abeir.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  09:05:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i cant say much about abeir but id be tempted to make them more specific and less generic.

Rakshasa are cat like fiends so i could tie them to the were leopard in the northern wizards.

Al'Chazar is phonetically similar to Al'Hanar from Al'Hanar castle (im making Al'Hanar the founder of the knightly order who claim kinship with Myrkul and who were exiled from Murghom along with Myrkul for their evil use of magic).
So perhaps Al'Chazar was another relative of Myrkul but he managed to curse himself into a catlike form with shapeshifting powers.

His descendants have infiltrated a number of powerful magic organisations including the amethyst sodality, the northern wizards, and the enclave. They are searching for information about how Myrkul ascended to godhood.

As for the two in Unthalass, of i recall correctly, rakshasa like enslaving and torturing people so im going to make the rakshasa be the heads of two of the three freeholder families that run the arena in Unthalass on the Isle of Blood.

The rakshasa get a steady supply of dead bodies to work with, they are rich and well placed in Unther's society with favour from Gil-Geamesq as long as they put on suitable spectacles of death for him. And no one will care if they experiment upon a few of the criminals delivered to them for use in the arena.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  11:43:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Making a new magic item based on the talons of the danse macabre in old empires.

Lash of the Death Dance: This two lash whip has both lengths end in a large curved bony talon. When brandished the talons dance around on the end of the lash completely stripping away the skin of any nearby victim in a matter of minutes.

The whip itself is an ordinary whip, but the talons where among a score gathered from the Ash dragon by Ass-Uraqn and enchanted to attack enemies when hurled in their direction.

Most of the talons have been lost over the years but two remain in Unther in the possession of An-Unaki, High Lord of Messemprar, who uses the Lash of the Death Dance to torture his enemies and prisoners in the levels beneath the summer palace of Messemprar.

Wondering if i might add extra powers such as if you bury the talon in ash of the Black Ash Plain then it will construct a small dragon like servitor. If all talons are buried together then the size of the servitor dragon increases by 1 category per additional talon.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2018 :  14:54:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I'm adding so many magic items now I thought I had best quantify the rules I am using to create such magic items.

Each magical power has its own number of uses. range. and activation method. Magic items are also now very very expensive to create but that is deliberate - commoners earn sp per year - skilled workers earn 10s of sp per year - merchants earn maybe 1 gp per year - nobles earn between 1 gp and 10 gp per year - high nobles earn up to 100 gp per year - royalty up to 1000 gp per year. That means even a king would struggle to commission a magic item withoug a lot of planning and monetary reserves.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/arrgs-rules/

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2018 :  20:54:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did a little bit of restructuring. Now there are drop down menus at the top of the page

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2018 :  21:32:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a page containing magic items.

Also added an explanation as to why the history of Unther in canon sources is slightly different to mine.
The Geamesq-Samata (The Epic of Gil-Geamesq), also known as the false history of Unther. It is a continuous work produced by the government of Unther (the Church of the All Father) which alters historic events to put Gil-Geamesq in a better light.

It is this false history that makes Gil-Geamesq the son of E-Nlil, the victor of the Orcgate Wars, the rightful heir of E-Nlil, Gil-Geamesq and his victory tour of Unther after the Orcgate Wars, etc.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2018 :  21:50:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that Deux Ex machina for changing canon. It works well there.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2018 :  21:58:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much (assuming you meant deus ex machina in a positive way - thanks to wotc i often think of them as negative). Although im sure i read in the Old Empires sourcebook that gilgeam changed the history so i cant claim the credit for the idea.

If only i could use the same tactic elsewhere but instead i will have to rely on George Martins way of doing history. The bards make the stories that become history and sometimes they lie about the third hand account they heard from some drunk who claimed he was there.
That is how real histories are made, unless the king pays to have a history written and then he pays for it to be written the way he wants it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2018 :  20:23:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going back to one of the skeleton pages to try and flesh it out.

Looking at the Enclave again.

I noticed isimud had a cap with runes on and a set of glasses. Anyone have any ideas on what these may be. Im not doing mass produced magic items so if he has a magic item worth mentioning then id like to give it history and a name.

Im making the headquarters/demiplane/portal nexus of imaskari origin but also giving clues to it being even older (multi armed ghosts inside, insect like pods for sleeping and each one containing a black star shaped gem that is fragile but magically attuned.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2018 :  20:43:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I changed Isimud to E-Simud and made him the last son of E-Nlil (being the son of a divine being he gets an incredibly long life).

Created a new magic artefact known as the Cowl of Eyes which allows him to see through all kinds of illusions and scry far off places and generally be a divining expert. I'm debating making this artefact one of the Imaskarcana which I've alluded to by allowing it to replicate itself (like the Mask of TiaMa'at) and that E-Simud can communicate with it and that it seems to have bestowed massive amounts of magical knowledge upon him.

I've decided on the Imaskari portal network being a legacy of the spellweavers that had a presence in this land long ago (and may have constructed the stone colossus). The spellweavers all over Faerun disappeared during their Grand Conjunction event (except for Jergal). I've tried to link this disappearance to the lore in the ecology of the Spellweaver and George Krashos' Jergal article (the sstar gems which I've also made the same as chardalyn).

Spellweaver preence in the Old Empires accounts for the pyramid structure in both Ascore and the influence on the Old Empires so I need to place a few really ancient pyramid like "Nodes" around the Old Empires but keep them soooo hidden that no-one has found them yet (maybe in the lake in Murghom/Semphar - perhaps the Okothian ruins in Azulduth are built atop the Node - or perhaps the node is extraplanar in nature and can only be reached by a portal).

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/home/organisations/the-enclave/

Alternate Realms Site