Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2017 :  10:36:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea to be honest, its a wordpress site so it might be required to login to view any wordpress site didnt know about that limitation, oh well.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2017 :  07:10:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New words.

Ien - meaning lord
War'Lur - meaning slave.

Also it would seem that at its height Unther had cities in the eastern shaar, now all ruined and its roads vanished. I wonder if peleveran could have been owned by Unther once (maybe they built it, maybe they conquered it from the dwarves or found it empty - gargauth's legend where he destroyed a dwarven city would be ironic if he ended up imprisoned beneath it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wodwulf Seaxaning
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  01:30:06  Show Profile Send Wodwulf Seaxaning a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice dazzlerdal - I plan to home-brew version on Grey Box FR campaign setting Old Empires region.I'll likely go in a completely different direction using Grey Box to be a foundation to build from & ignoring the post Grey Box Old Empires Near East flavor.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  05:51:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Also it would seem that at its height Unther had cities in the eastern shaar, now all ruined and its roads vanished. I wonder if peleveran could have been owned by Unther once (maybe they built it, maybe they conquered it from the dwarves or found it empty - gargauth's legend where he destroyed a dwarven city would be ironic if he ended up imprisoned beneath it.

Its canon, to some degree...
quote:
Pg.125, FRCS Revised (2e)
Unther: As with Mulhorand, the other living "dead kingdom", the wreckage of Unther's empire can be seen throughout Chessenta and the Eastern Shaar. It left more temples than wonders, some of which have been turned to other tasks today.

Coupled with...
quote:
Pg.128, FRCS Revised (2)
The Shaar is a most effective barrier between the Heartlands and the Shining South, effective through its own emptiness. The Shaar is dominated by miles upon miles of thick grassland, and peopled only by nomads, herdsmen, and raiders. Yet, strange temples and abandoned shrines to lost gods dot the lands, and some of the wanderers encountered wield great mystical powers.

*I didn't feel like looking for a 3rd (and possibly 4th) quote, but it is also canon that the dwarves (of the Shaar) HATE Unther - they have had lots of hostile interaction in the Shaar (which is also why I believe the Dwarves had at one time had a MUCH more extensive surface-presence). For Unther's part, dwarves are still unwelcome there (so are elves, for different reasons). In fact, the whole of the Old Empires seem to very much dislike demihumans. Humanoids, however, they don't seem to have a problem with. Go figure.

I just happened to be reading those sections earlier today. Its been so long since I've read through any of it I've forgotten quite a lot. I was actually trying to find out as much info as I could on Akanul and the Akanamere. Unther definitely had 'holdings' in the Shar, and Calimshan (which is just as old as those empires) was also pushing into the Shar from the other direction (I believe they dominated the Channath Vale {Elsir Vale} region for a time). Not sure if some of that was in the Calimshan or LoI books (a boxed set and two separate books), or if some of it was in Serpent Kingdoms, or both. In the Unther/Old Empires thread someone was doing back on the WotC boards, they assumed there was a Calimshan/Unther war at some point, but it was more of a 'cold war' with only a few actual battles (Unther was waning when Calimshan was waxing IIRC, although both are 'cyclic').

Its also interesting to note that if you wanted to consider any of the Elsir Vale material canon for the Channath Vale, there is a preponderance of half-dragons in the region. And not just human halves - all sorts, like elves, dwarves, goblinoids, I think even a half-lizardman one, IIRC. the 'Fane of Tiamat' would be in the Wyrmbones there (renamed the Wyrmsmoke Mtns. in the EV material). Tiamat seems to have a fondness for The Shaar... which is funny, because Shar has a connection to The Shaar (I doubt its coincidence, but I also am not saying they are the same being - more likely Tiamat is trying to tap-into or find whatever it is Shar lost down there... herself?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Aug 2017 06:01:34
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  07:05:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some nice quotes, cheers Markus.

My TiaMa'at is actually a human sorceress who hid among the dragons and learned alot about them. I have had her hiding in the shaar for millennia so a large fortress in the wyrmbones seems like a bloody good idea.

Also about peleveran. I doubt unther or the dwarves could have created that huge pit/entity trapping prison at its centre, but i know of a racial group that has an ancient association with gargauth and that has created powerful planar creature traps (way up north in narfell). Mayhaps the dwarves conquered this place from them and stood guard for a long time before the bonds weakened enough for gargauth to destroy them.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  07:27:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and thankyou for the kind words wodwulf, feel free to post your own ideas or steal mine. I personally dont mind the similarities between the old empires and real life, if you look closely there arent really that many similarities. Ive changed a few names and come up with in game historical events for things so to me that makes them realmsian enough (the animal headed mulhorandi gods for instance are like that because of an invasion of nomads from the hordelands that brought with them animal worship).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  13:47:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Its canon, to some degree...
quote:
Pg.125, FRCS Revised (2e)
Unther: As with Mulhorand, the other living "dead kingdom", the wreckage of Unther's empire can be seen throughout Chessenta and the Eastern Shaar. It left more temples than wonders, some of which have been turned to other tasks today.

Coupled with...
quote:
Pg.128, FRCS Revised (2)
The Shaar is a most effective barrier between the Heartlands and the Shining South, effective through its own emptiness. The Shaar is dominated by miles upon miles of thick grassland, and peopled only by nomads, herdsmen, and raiders. Yet, strange temples and abandoned shrines to lost gods dot the lands, and some of the wanderers encountered wield great mystical powers.

*I didn't feel like looking for a 3rd (and possibly 4th) quote, but it is also canon that the dwarves (of the Shaar) HATE Unther - they have had lots of hostile interaction in the Shaar (which is also why I believe the Dwarves had at one time had a MUCH more extensive surface-presence). For Unther's part, dwarves are still unwelcome there (so are elves, for different reasons). In fact, the whole of the Old Empires seem to very much dislike demihumans. Humanoids, however, they don't seem to have a problem with. Go figure.

I just happened to be reading those sections earlier today. Its been so long since I've read through any of it I've forgotten quite a lot. I was actually trying to find out as much info as I could on Akanul and the Akanamere. Unther definitely had 'holdings' in the Shar, and Calimshan (which is just as old as those empires) was also pushing into the Shar from the other direction (I believe they dominated the Channath Vale {Elsir Vale} region for a time). Not sure if some of that was in the Calimshan or LoI books (a boxed set and two separate books), or if some of it was in Serpent Kingdoms, or both. In the Unther/Old Empires thread someone was doing back on the WotC boards, they assumed there was a Calimshan/Unther war at some point, but it was more of a 'cold war' with only a few actual battles (Unther was waning when Calimshan was waxing IIRC, although both are 'cyclic').

Its also interesting to note that if you wanted to consider any of the Elsir Vale material canon for the Channath Vale, there is a preponderance of half-dragons in the region. And not just human halves - all sorts, like elves, dwarves, goblinoids, I think even a half-lizardman one, IIRC. the 'Fane of Tiamat' would be in the Wyrmbones there (renamed the Wyrmsmoke Mtns. in the EV material). Tiamat seems to have a fondness for The Shaar... which is funny, because Shar has a connection to The Shaar (I doubt its coincidence, but I also am not saying they are the same being - more likely Tiamat is trying to tap-into or find whatever it is Shar lost down there... herself?)

Thanks, this even more makes me wonder if Ramman isn't actually an interloper god from the Shaar. Similar with Ishtar... and my story I've been developing, I may bring back Ishtar separately from Isis again. I'd been using eldath, but Ishtar would make a better river goddess for the area. It might make things weird having Inanna, Ishtar, and Ramman (since two have war and two have love), but maybe they might more define their ethos in those areas. In other words, maybe Ramman becomes a god of bravery and other masculine aspects of combat and Inanna starts encroaching on the red knights fields of skill..... and maybe Inanna becomes more focused on physical lust (pushing into Sharess' field) and Ishtar becomes more a fertility goddess. Hell, I may remove Ki from what I was doing an just add Ishtar (or both..... or maybe Ki sacrifices herself during the Sundering, so we can have a story where she was there and she passed, just to show that some gods aren't back and why). Still, I kind of like the idea of the Untheric gods coming to Peleveran instead of Unther where Gilgeam is trying to take hold again.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  15:08:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, re-reading what I wrote, one thing from that other person's "Unther Musings" was that Calimshan actually acquired their 'chariot tech' from their hostilities with Unther. FR doesn't seem predisposed to chariots, but Calimshan weirdly has them, and the one group that seems to like them and use them a lot are the Old Empires, so it makes some sense that that was something that came out of the 'Shaar Wars'...

Shaar Wars

No... don't go there... must resist...

Manshoon holding a local princess by the throat: "You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor! Take her away!"

Sorry Couldn't help myself...

EDIT:
Even though I'm NOT a SW fan {Gasp!}, I think a region of FR/Toril needs some Jawas and Sand People. The only place those huge rolling things would make sense, though, would be in the Taan region (Raumathari juggernaughts that some dwarves fixed-up and keep running). Tuskan Raiders are easy - just desert orcs (or hobgoblins).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Aug 2017 15:12:24
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  16:43:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im making unther a racial purist nation so demihumans are furthest removed from relation to the godkings therefore they are most impure and are considered slaves by default.

Humanoid monsters are a curiosity that usually end up in the gladiatorial arena.

I hadnt thought about calishite presence in the shaar, i shall have to check the datea to see if they coincide but its a good way to explain the disparate use of chariots.

Not going to delve into faerunian god lore though because i dont regard them as physical beings, only ideas and belief. Demigods are different because they still are physical beings and are not yet proper gods.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  21:12:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come up with currency for Unther. The coins were created following Gil-Geamesq's rulership of Unther after -734 DR

An'Dam: Known as children of the gods, this method of currency has not been produced in 2,000 years and has gradually fallen out of common use, though it is still accepted as currency by everyone in Unther.

The An'Dam are the finest pearls taken from the shallow waters off Unther's coast, carved with tiny images that represent one of the many god-kings of Unther. Depending upon the size and colour of the pearl and the quality of the imagery, An'Dam can be worth between 1 gp and 100 gp.

Ilguz: Known as the supreme warrior, this coin is a tiny golden pyramid with grooves and notches on alternating sides so they can be slotted together to form long bars. Each of these coins is worth the equivalent of 1 gp in Unther (although the weight of gold from coins smelted in the past 500 years makes it worth less than half that value in other lands).

Henumar: Known as the silvered charioteer, this coin is a thin disc of silver, impressed with the design of a chariot wheel with a hole in the centre where the wheel hub would be (usually strung together with strands of hair) . It is quite fragile and not commonly used.

Zabezu: Known as the bronze fury, this coin is little more than a bronze rod with a ridged end (to resemble a fist).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2017 :  10:16:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And sheka is just a term for currency not an actual coin (at least thats how im spinning the contradiction i made when i just found an existing currency in the old empires sourcebook)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2017 :  13:22:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, re-reading what I wrote, one thing from that other person's "Unther Musings" was that Calimshan actually acquired their 'chariot tech' from their hostilities with Unther. FR doesn't seem predisposed to chariots, but Calimshan weirdly has them, and the one group that seems to like them and use them a lot are the Old Empires, so it makes some sense that that was something that came out of the 'Shaar Wars'...

Shaar Wars

No... don't go there... must resist...

Manshoon holding a local princess by the throat: "You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor! Take her away!"

Sorry Couldn't help myself...

EDIT:
Even though I'm NOT a SW fan {Gasp!}, I think a region of FR/Toril needs some Jawas and Sand People. The only place those huge rolling things would make sense, though, would be in the Taan region (Raumathari juggernaughts that some dwarves fixed-up and keep running). Tuskan Raiders are easy - just desert orcs (or hobgoblins).

My favorite scene in Shaar Wars was the Lhesper Cantina, where they came in and the Loxo was singing from both trunks and the thri-kreen was playing a small guitar, an odd flute, and some drums. Meanwhile they had those two wemic female dancers singing backup.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2017 :  21:00:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Expanded some more modern dates for Unther.

1328 DR: The Rain Ban edict: Gil-Geamesq bans the building of new temples of Ish-Tarri and Ram-Manu and also the practice of flooding the fields without permission of the God-King. The justification for this ban is that the flooding helped spread the Dragon Plague in Unther.

1339 DR: Ish-Tarri enters voluntary house arrest in her last remaining temple in Shussel. She is never again seen in Unther.

1345 DR: All senior Ensi (priests) of Ish-Tarri and Ram-Manu are publicly executed for worshipping TiaMa'at. Only novice Ensi remain to tend the few shrines and single temples of either church.

Also added a god-tomb for Gir-Ubil (Girru) in the Smoking Mountains.

Also renamed a lot of places to be less english

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  02:40:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We really NEED to write-up a Lhesper Cantina now.

That guy who said, "My friend doesn't like you... I don't like you either" even looked like a half-orc.

Watch out for those spice-runners (smugglers), I hear they shoot first. One of them even hangs out with an Alaghi.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  08:26:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im afraid i have no idea what this cantina is, cant say im a big fan of parodies. I read a few characters in one of the dragon mags which parodied Al Capone and Elliot Ness and i was not a fan.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  14:16:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We really NEED to write-up a Lhesper Cantina now.

That guy who said, "My friend doesn't like you... I don't like you either" even looked like a half-orc.

Watch out for those spice-runners (smugglers), I hear they shoot first. One of them even hangs out with an Alaghi.

I guess Furifax or his son can fulfill that role. xD

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  14:31:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Furifax was once one of Gilgeams attendants (and presumably a male courtesan), i doubt he would be ugly as a half orc, most likely he would be a near perfect male specimen

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  15:11:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im thinking about the god tombs of Unther.

At the moment they appear to be spread all over the place, with one in the Great Dale, others in southern Unther.

I would have thought it would be easier to bury the dead godkings all in one place (it would certainly be easier to guard).

So im thinking perhaps there is a balley of the dead gods in southern unther or the shaar, but this is a false set of tombs filled with monsters and traps.
The real godtombs were made by the clergy and were put in places where the godking was most happy (so gir-ubil is in a volcano).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  19:32:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New words or places.

Nid'Angol: The Untheric name for the Smoking Mountains

Mt Temmikant now translates as Dragon Sphinx Mountain but it actually translates literally as Dragon True/Lion (Kana means true kanut means lion the word for sphinx is bastardised and interpreted as truth lion - they are seen as noble beasts and guardians of gateways to the lands of the dead).

Mt Fussel translates as Pointed Mountain.

Mheth means wood. Which means that the Methwood actually means the wood wood. Methmere means the wood lake

Napi'Ther Eqlu: Means the PLains of Life (the untheric version of Menesankh) and encompasses all lands from the Greenfields to the River of Swords.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  19:45:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since we already have a 'Greenfields' up north, we should rename it the 'Yetmor Greenfields', or simply, the 'Yetmor Fields' (Yetmor = 'green' in Untheric).

Plus... its just funny...

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  19:56:21  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Furifax was once one of Gilgeams attendants (and presumably a male courtesan), i doubt he would be ugly as a half orc, most likely he would be a near perfect male specimen

Furifax Solo and not a half-orc, but a bugbear named Chewy (to avoid copyright).

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 04 Sep 2017 19:56:54
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  20:35:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, an Alaghi is more FR-appropriate.

Plus an Alaghi has the right temperament.

Don't forget the family of Ormyr that controls all the elicit activities in The Raurin - The Shack (lead by Jaffi the Shack).

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Sep 2017 07:34:55
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  13:21:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished my broad outline of Unther, need to work on the specifics now.

Made the law of unther be completely class based. You cannot commit a crime against a slave (they have no rights) nor will a man if lesser station accuse someone of higher station (because they will never win). Gil-Geamesq has the right to override any law or punishment but otherwise all government is left to his church and its Ensi.

Just the specifics to work on now like the organisations (the enclave, the church of the All Father, the church of TiaMa'at, the church of Ish-Tarri, the church of Ram-Manu), the settlements, the interesting places and ruins (most of which will have to be made up I think).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  20:22:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay I need some help.

What book details the core (non FR) lore on Tiamat's holdings in the Wyrmbones (or its core world approximation).

Also I'm pretty sure Calimshan (Shoon) had settlements in the Shaar and lost them all after demon summonings and other incidents, but I can't remember the details or where those settlements actually were located. Could someone pretty please point out their location to me (modern nation/realm and settlement name please).

Working on TiaMa'at at the moment and her cults

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  07:51:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Red Hand of Doom was the 3e-era module dealing with that region (Elsir Vale, which is Channath Vale in FR). Pt.5 (the finale) actually takes place IN The Fane of Tiamat.

Scales of War was the 4e AP, which ran through Dungeon #156 - #175. I am not sure how much is there on The Fane - the final battle in that AP is in her Godly Domain (IIRC). I'd have to go through the issues individually to see if any cover the Fane.

Funny - the 3e adventure is very low-key, despite being a war - the PCs don't have to be uber powerful, they just have to be one step ahead of their enemies (everything is on a time-table in that adventure - NO SIDE QUESTS!) 'Normal' people can pull it off.

The 4e one sends you to battle gods, and you even hangout with Bahamut, and you need to be level 30 just to go to Tiamat's realm (where you presumably kick her arse). To be fair, it is an AP, though, so it takes you through all the levels.

I just can't help noticing the different approaches between the two editions.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  08:43:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything since the end of 3e has been god A did this, god B did that, so and so killed god C.
I hate it, it makes me cry inside and is the primary reason why im so anti deity. It is lazy storytelling at its worst.
When you cant think of a reason then a god did it. So people at WoTC havent been able to think of a reason or original idea in over 2 editions.

Anyway, rant over. Back to unther musings.

I am only looking for a brief description and some idea of its original purpose then i will twist it to my own version.

Im thinking the wyrmbones became the primary base of TiaMa'at against Unther. She eventually abandoned it when the Shoon Imperium arrived in the Shaar circa 108 DR and eventually went to war with Unther in the central Shaar around 420 DR (im calling it the war of broken wheels or splintered axles, cant decide which).

Then she set up a base in Chessenta but her cult was destroyed in conflict with the cult of the dragon 971 DR and she fled again and was then driven mad in 1018 DR with the dracorage. She stated insane until 1346 DR when she was successfully summoned in Firetrees in Unther.

Im thinking TiaMa'at came into possession of one of the Imaskarcana. From it she learned a lot more about magic and gave herself the ability to take dragon form permanently. She also created brown dragons and managed to craft 5 similar masks based on the imaskarcana (which she altered to look like a dragon head).
These 5 dragon masks of various colours im going to use as a nod to the deus ex machina artefacts in the Rise of Tiamat adventure for 5e (i know its a different god but i doubt anyone would realise).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  08:45:53  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Red Hand of Doom was the 3e-era module dealing with that region (Elsir Vale, which is Channath Vale in FR). Pt.5 (the finale) actually takes place IN The Fane of Tiamat.

Scales of War was the 4e AP, which ran through Dungeon #156 - #175. I am not sure how much is there on The Fane - the final battle in that AP is in her Godly Domain (IIRC). I'd have to go through the issues individually to see if any cover the Fane.

Funny - the 3e adventure is very low-key, despite being a war - the PCs don't have to be uber powerful, they just have to be one step ahead of their enemies (everything is on a time-table in that adventure - NO SIDE QUESTS!) 'Normal' people can pull it off.

The 4e one sends you to battle gods, and you even hangout with Bahamut, and you need to be level 30 just to go to Tiamat's realm (where you presumably kick her arse). To be fair, it is an AP, though, so it takes you through all the levels.

I just can't help noticing the different approaches between the two editions.

The Fane is never touched in 4e. The Scales of War AP retconns Elsir Vale to be part of the Nentir Vale world (It was part of the Nerathi Empire) and the story happens 25 years after the events of Red Hand of Doom.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  18:01:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it just so happens to look IDENTICAL to Channath Vale in the Forgotten Realms (3e map)?

On the other hand, we can use that - what if the Channath Vale got replaced with Elsir Vale in 3e? A piece of 'another world' that got swapped-in during the magical chaos of the ToT? (and thanks to Ao's "Forget everything" uber-spell, no-one seems to notice). Then during the Sundering 2.0, it 'goes home', and we get Channath Vale back.

It sounds hokey (at first), but think about it - that particular region was one of the places where things got 'twisted' the worst by the 3e-era maps. rivers changed direction, mountains/hills came and went, and we even lost Shaareach. Even though we know from a meta-gaming perspective thats not what happened, its easy enough for us to say now that that is what happened, and now we have our 'original vale' back, intact. That alleviates all the weirdness with two worlds having the identical terrain (because it IS the same region - it was never in more than one place at the same time).

But even if thats the case, there is no reason that FR wouldn't have its own 'Fane of Tiamat' - there may even be some sort of weird, quantum resonance going on, so that a God that has a powerful temple on one world may desire to build another temple in the same spot on another (so if one were to 'plane shift', you'd still be in her temple, just on another world).

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Sep 2017 18:33:02
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  18:13:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the big premises of my rewrite is that the multiverse all originates from a single universe that it keeps trying to recreate and keeps failing.

So dragons appear, evolve, or are created on each world in an attempt to mirror the original. Orcs are the same, so are every other monster and race.
Gods are the same. All the worlds might be connected by the same cosmology but it is infinite so tyr on one world isnt necessarily tyr on the other (although it could be) they each transpire on their own world trying to recreate what happened in the original.

Thats why we have so much of the same everywherw, not througj cross polination but because the universe had a plan (like hitchhikers guide to the galaxy), when the vortex of chaos broke that plan the universe tried to continue as best it could in its fractured state.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  18:18:12  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And it just so happens to look IDENTICAL to Channath Vale in the Forgotten Realms (3e map)?

They just imported the place as it was in Red Hand of Doom. Just changed the lore to fit the Nerath backstory and located it "to the south of the region known as the Nentir Vale", changed a few gods (Olidammara for Avandra, Nerull for the Raven Queen). And voila, Elsir Vale was part of Nerath.

It was the philosophy of the Nentir Vale world. You could import/export whatever, and all fit, because it was lore-light (at first, at least).

As for your idea... it seems interesting. Perhaps the new cultures in the place will be interesting.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000