Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2017 :  09:05:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So my latest project is coming to an end and id like to get back into developing the realms (this time im going to use a website - wordpress).

Im going to start with one of my favourite regions - the old empires (just mulhorand and unther for now). In only doing original realms (up to 1370s)

First up is a request for any copies of the pages from the wotc website that were to do with mulhorand or unther (or thay). I know i copied the main article for the portals articles but i often missed out the linked pages for important characters in those articles. So if anyone has any copies of portal articles and their linked pages id be very grateful.

And while im at it, does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that would be nice to see explored. For example i always wondered what the origins of the enclave were.

Im hoping to develop the region as much as i possibly can so a few extra ideas are always useful.

Edit

Below are the list of links to pages detailed so far in the Old Empires region

Home Page

Some of my own rules I've been working on
ARRGS Classes
ARRGS Magic
ARRGS Magic Items
ARRGS Options
ARRGS Races
ARRGS Skills

Running the Realms
Divinity

Faerunian Pantheon
Entropy
Tchazzar

Mulho-Untheric Pantheon
Mulho-Untheric Pantheon
Ass-Uraqn
Gil-Geamesq
Horus-Re
Ish-Tarri
Ram-Manu
Sebek
Set
TiaMa'at

Organisation
The Church of the Sky Father
The Church of Hoar
The Church of Ish-Tarri
The Church of Ram-Manu
The Cult of the Old Gods
The Cult of the Queen of Chaos
The Cult of the Smiling Death
The Enclave
The Eternal Claws
The Northern Wizards

NPCs
Old Empires NPCs
Maladraedior
Meiandringolousaert
Nezram
Seh-Om

Races
Humans
Dwarves
Rakshasa
Spellweavers

Regions
Chessenta
Luthcheq
Akanax
Airspur
Mulhorand
Skuld
Raurin
Unther
Dalath
Messemprar
Nissel (Red Haven)
Niz'Jaree (Firetrees)
Shussel
Ssintar
Unthalass

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 06 Sep 2018 21:55:17

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2017 :  12:17:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is much out there to be honest. Tom Costa's "History of Unther" article and that's about it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2017 :  12:32:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im almost certain there is a portal article on thay that mentions a mulhorandi general who died there long ago.

I think ive just finished typing up the article in dragon 353 (cant recall if tom wrote it or not) otherwise where can i find this history of unther article (his unpublished works on forgotten gods include a few nice minor additions to the mulhorandi pantheon.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2017 :  14:05:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there is a Volo's Guide to Unther and Mulhorand in Dragon 358. Maybe is that one?

If not, I also like to know in which dragon is the History of Unther.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2017 :  14:37:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive looked it up on google and it looks like it was a web article on the wotc website to accompany the Alabaster Staff novel (events of which i will be reimagining).

Unfortunately the link to it isnt working anymore so if anyone has a copy id be most grateful to acquire it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2017 :  02:01:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody did a very comprehensive (and GOOD) history of the Old Empires, and brought them up-to-date with 3e, back on the WotC forums (during 3e). I had C&P'd the whole thing into a document (it was an amazing amount of research and detail, with a timeline), but have lost that since then. Maybe somebody else has a copy of it?

if so, I 'd love another copy myself.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jul 2017 02:02:10
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2017 :  04:07:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The History of Unther piece is the add on to the Alabaster Staff. I have that.

I think the work Markustay is referring to is Eric's "Old Empires Anew" work which was posted at the 'Keep in this thread:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16726

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 29 Jul 2017 04:07:51
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2017 :  04:08:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The History of Unther piece if the add on to the Alabaster Staff. I have that.

I think the work Markustay is referring to is Eric's "Old Empires Anew" work which was posted at the 'Keep in this thread:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16726

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2017 :  11:26:23  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also "Old Empires Prestige Classes, Spells and Sundry - by Scott Bennie" with bachground (extensive timeline from 1358 to 1367 and Addercurse realm history with the Tanray - ancient barbarians of the Utter East).

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2017 :  11:34:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the scott bennie stuff although the tanray werent my cup of tea to be honest.

Could i have a copy of the hitsory of unther article pretty please george.

I will go through my wotc web articles next and see what bits im missing. It feels good to know im going to get to do some creating again. I wonder if wordpress (the free one) will allow me to do javascript wizardry.

Unther could do with a bit of low level detail.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  22:22:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ive started my new project (a website of my alternate version of the realms -starting with unther first).

As usual im starting with the deities (but only because in Unther they lived in Unther).
Im changing the names a bit as i hate real world analogies.

Im including all the 'dead' gods as well because im bringing some back later.

TiaMa'at is now an ancient sorceress of the Turami that learned to take dragon form, had dragon children and rose to godhood after stealing power from the corpses and relics of other gods.

Oh and im making a new god (not decided on a name yet) who is god of flames and was driven south into exile long ago by gilgeam. His priests are the basis for the brotherhood of thr black flame which spread to thay and also a zakharan secret society that his kin still rule.

Unfortunately i cant find my own web address for the wordpress blog so i cant share it (but its in very very early stages at the moment)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2017 :  00:31:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like what you did with Tiamat's name. Strangely, I think that was the only one I kept 'pristine' in my own list.

Gilgeam I never liked (name or concept). Too 'RW' (Gilgamesh).

I think in that novel we had a chance to finally fix that crappy derivation, but NOPE, same old terrible name (he could have easily be known by some other on Abeir, and just said, "People used to call my Gilgeam". It would have been such an easy fix). Then again, maybe I'm the only person who that bothers really bad (all the RW analogies - deific or otherwise - get under my skin).

Come up with a better name for the 'Blade Kingdoms' (its so obviously 'fantasy trope'). Maybe the Citystates of Akanul? The Akanulands? Doesn't really roll-off the tongue. The Dominion of the Akanulords? Hmmmmm... sounds almost a bit scify-ish. I like 'The Akanulords', so maybe most folks just shorten it to that when they are speaking? Unfortunately, they're not a whole lot different than the Border Kingdoms, except maybe bigger, stronger, and better organized.

Feel free, BTW, to take whatever (gods) you want that I posted in that other thread - I was just brain-storming a 5e pantheon for both countries (I can see them each having a 'patron', but I'd also like a conjoined Old Empires pantheon, one that could better oppose the Faerûnian one. I rarely put much thought into the OE because the whole concept for them right from the beginning (of TSR publication) never sat well with me - I'd prefer a complete overhaul, and this Sundering 2.0 was a great way they could have accomplished that. Too bad they didn't even bother to try.

So maybe one patron god for each of the four countries involved? We also have the Blade Kingdoms, and Sespech is kind of in a weird place (not sure which pantheon they would even use, since they'd be 'cut off' deifically from the Faerûnian one, sort of).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Aug 2017 00:43:52
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2017 :  07:04:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oddly enough Gilgeam i was going to keep because its not the same as gilgamesh but you are right they should all be changed.

TiaMa'ats name i made from the concept of Maat which im reinterpreting as oneness or wholeness of being. TiaMa'at means dark one (which today people translate as evil one) and was an attempt by the Untheric gods to give her a bad press.
Her original name is unknown but Turami descendants tell of a legend of Tla the sorceress who lay with and mastered dragons and fought against the Untherites when her home was destroyed.

This TiaMa'at is nost definitely not the same as the Dragon Queen Tiamat. Howver during the Time of Troubles (which is not a gods walk Toril event) TiaMa'at will be slain by Tiamat and here church infiltrated and none will be the wiser that their doctrine now serves a different goddess (except Tiglath and a few purist zealots).

Im setting this in the originalRealms and fully intend to merge the Untheric and Mulhorandi pantheons with an event that is inspired by the Alabaster Staff. Gilgeam will come back as a god of madness and undeath.

Im also redefining how the gods work. The Untheric gods begin as quasi power (encompasses the old term demigod) and are therefore not real gods, just super powerful beings that can perform divine acts. This is the first step on the path to true multiphasic being godhood.
The untheric and mulhorandi gods are trappes in this quasi power form by the imaskari barrier and so can be killed proper.
When the barrier comes down (when Enlil goes missing) thr Mulhorandi gods ascend to true godhood, but Gilgeam forces the Untheric gods to remain (so he can kill them and steal their power). He however creates an outerplanar abode and the pantheon become a bastardised version of quasi power and true god (they have a single body but when they die they reform in this outerplane).
No more complicated gods that are alive everywhere else but dead on Toril. I only deal with Toril.

Plenty of the Untheric gods die properly but belief can bring a god back. Their relics could be used to recreate them. And not all the untheric pantheon are dead, some were forced into exile by Gilgeam.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 03 Aug 2017 07:17:44
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2017 :  22:30:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at Dalath

Im wondering why the volcanic eruptions only seem to affect the lands south of the smoking mountains.

Ash is spewed constantly over th black ash plains but nothing on the maerchwood and Dalath to the north.

How and why did Maladraediador settle beneath Dalath 3000 years ago. And how has he lived for so long in peak condition (no god status - i dont do that).

Im wondering if Dalath has been rebuilt atop volcanic eruptions many times or perhaps some work of the untheric godkings keeps the wood and Dalath safe.

Perhaps Dalath was home to the Untheric godking of fire who directed the eruptions. Maybe Girru could be that godking (his name is similar to a mesopotamian god of fire).

Maybe Maladraediador was Girru's pet or captive who know remains in his prison fomenting unrest against Unther

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2017 :  08:29:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naming conventions. Im thinking that the noble house name comes first then the given name.

So Gilgeam becomes Gil-Geamesq which equates to Geamesq (pronounced Geamesh) of noble house Gil.

Im not going to use the term House though because that is typically dwarven or elven in origin in the realms. Instead how about Androm (meaning skyship).
Only nobility belong to an Androm and it signifies their relation to one of the godkings (so Gil-Zimrilim and the many other Gil- all are related to Gilgeam.

Non noble born do not have a family name although all the rich merchants are given an honorary Androm to signify they are of the merchant family.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2017 :  21:34:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this link will work.

Alternate Realms Site

A link to my new site which at the moment is starting to detail Unther.

Only got some cursory details on Dalath and a bit of the Mulhorandi-Untheric Pantheon at the moment but i'll keep working on it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2017 :  10:26:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Initial idea is Maladraedior is imprisoned beneath Dalath by the godking Gir-Ubil (Girru). Maladraedior lost the battle for suzerain of the blue dragons and was driven into exile where Gir-Ubil captured him.

Gir-Ubil was killed in the Orcgate wars and no one knew about the dragon he imprisoned under the volcanoes to control their eruptions.

Now Maladraedior wants out. He is secretly working against Gil-Geamesq and is in total control of Dalath.
Once he escapes the volcanoes of the smoking mountain will certainly erupt (1372 i believe) and he has engineered it to destroy the citadel of black ash.

The order of thr black flame were originally fire mages and priests of Gir-Ubil who made pilgrimages to his sacred places after his death. Maladraedior whispered to them and twisted them to his ideology - turning them into assassins and elementalists that were dedicated to ending the rule of Gil-Geamesq and the godkings.

When the treachery of the order was discovered they were driven out of Unther (some fled north to Thay, some fled south to Zakhara, others fled to the planes).

Now Maladraedior is fuelling lawlessness in Dalath and keeping Teu-Mmanudar "The Bloodletter" occupied while Maladraedior's agents foment and fund unrest elsewhere (like Unthalass and Messemprar).

When Gil-Geamesq dies and Unther falls into chaos, Maladraedior will desire release and will definitely claim Suzerainty of the blue dragons (by brutally destroying the current Suzerain).

Maladraedior is the son of Kalzareineid (a consort of TiaMa'at, and a dragon she altered until it was capable of magical feats far beyond normal dragonkind). He is thus very learned in magical lore. Gir-Ubil imprisoned Maladraedior using a huge enchanted chain (now far to small for the draconic behemoth) which preserved Maladraedior's vitality and made him immortal (so he could perform his duties for ever).
As a result Maladraedior is over 3000 years old but with the energy and vitality of an adult dragon a few centuries old.

And Gir-Ubil imprisoned other dragons as immortal servants under volcanoes (and for other tasks) across Unther (Ship of the Gods).

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 05 Aug 2017 10:45:32
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2017 :  21:29:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a few new gods, Teu-Nasabu; the Untheric god of Wisdom and Knowledge who fled Unther when Gil-Geamesq became head of the pantheon and demanded the material presence of the gods in Unther at all times (making them Demi-Gods).

Came up with a few Untheric/Mulan words

Masate - Soldier
Gurmasate - Army or Armies
An'Ular - Noble Houses - actually translates as "of the heavenly ones"
Anul - Gods - actually translates as Heavenly Ones.
An'Ulae - Freeholders - actually translates as not noble or less than.
Isriku - Tax Collector
Gud - Pronounced Good - meaning warrior.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 14 Aug 2017 21:50:42
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
952 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2017 :  00:13:11  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PM me with your email address and I'll send you the Unther article, I can also send you my old Bahamut F&A style article (and why Eric nicknamed me Marduk in Demihuman Deities), and Scott Bennies articles.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2017 :  01:33:20  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Tom. If possible, can I also partake in this? I'm really interested in this (as I'm working in a version of Unther and Tymanther in the current Realms). But, the Bahamut F&A is of more interest for me...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 15 Aug 2017 01:35:28
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2017 :  21:01:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few more words

Eshadak = sword (of the bronze stabbing variety)
Hitir = javelin (bronze)
Pederu = armour (in unther it is a light cloth covered with bronze plates - equivalent of splint mail)

Also defined how the freeholders secretly rule the settlement and manipulated the local lord Teu-Munadar "Bloodletter". The elders of the freehold families appear to be in conflict but are secretly in cahoots with one another to ensure revenues are split equally between the two families (over the longer term) - communicating in draconic runes on coins left behind in contested areas.
Only the elders are aware of the communication and they meet secretly (and very rarely when summoned by Maladraedior to his secret tunnels and prison).
The freeholders collect taxes and enforce the peace on behalf of Teu-Munadar; having paid handsomely for a licence to do so. Their paid collectors and enforcers feud over which businesses and mines they can collect tax from (and which lawbreakers they can enslave). Locals know enough not to pay taxes twice but newcomers may be caught out.
The two elders are downplaying the amount of ore available in the mines and the reducing taxes available to Teu-Munadar. They secretly divert funds to Maladraedior (who uses the money to arm slaves and fund other ventures such as Messemprars revolt and other anti Gilgeam efforts).

The whole town is involved in secret activities to overthrow Gilgeam's rule in Unther and it has been going on for millennia (although only in the last few centuries has it been so rough and tumble and so often in revolt). Maladraedior doesn't want to be discovered but also wants to ensure as little money as possible goes to Unthalass and the God-King.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 15 Aug 2017 21:15:26
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
952 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2017 :  00:41:20  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure. Happy to share with anyone.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2017 :  01:23:22  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I guess this answers me why Anubis isn't in the Mulhorandi pantheon... (though I have to add that Osiris was kind of a jerk...)

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 16 Aug 2017 01:28:04
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2017 :  21:37:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers Tom. Lots of ideas there

Okay so the gods I have so far (will be expanding this a lot

Akanic Pantheon
E-Anu: Akanic god of the Sky and Akanu itself
En-Kihh: Akanic god of water and mischief. A known shapeshifter, it is not known if this being was even human. His ultimate fate is unknown and unrecorded following the merging of Akanu and Unther.
Gil-Geamesq: Akanic god of Strength. later the Akanic god of the Sky and Akanu after the death of Anu
Sin-An'na: The Akanic god of Protection and the Moon.
Sebekar: Akanic god of Swamps and Crocodiles.
Ram-Manu: The Akanic god of War

Untheric Pantheon
E-Nlil: Untheric god of Law, Air and Unther.
Gil-Geamesq: Untheric god of Strength, Unther, Victory, Judgement. Took over from E-Nlil in -734 DR as head of the pantheon when the Akanic and Untheric pantheons merged.
Amar-Du'uk: The Untheric god of Justice and Protection.
Ass-Uraqn: Untheric god of War, Thunder, Storms. Displaced by Ram-Manu after the merging of the Akanic and Untheric pantheons.
Ish-Tarri: is the Untheric goddess of Fertility, Love, Land, Moon, and Magic. She was originally part of the Akanic pantheon and took over some of the responsibilities of Sin-An'na who was slain during the Orcgate Wars.
Ram-Manu: Untheric god of War, Thunder, Rain, Sky. Originally from the Akanic pantheon.
Ina-Ninaki: The Untheric god of Sex, Beauty, and Desire. Slain during the Orcgate Wars
Gir-Ubil: Untheric god of Flames and the Forge. Slain during the Orcgate Wars
Teu-Nasabu: Untheric god of Knowledge and Wisdom. Fled from Unther when Gil-Geamesq became head of the pantheon.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 17 Aug 2017 20:26:17
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2017 :  14:14:03  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't you include Tchazzar in there, somewhere?

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2017 :  17:56:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont think so no.

The Akanic pantheon is one of my own making for a lost empire located in what is now Chessenta that was absorbed into Unther.

Tchazzar ascended before 1000dr ish i think in the Chessenta region, which Unther had long ago lost control of and became a pantheon contested region between the untheric and faerunian pantheon.

I dont believe Tchazzar was ever worshipped in Unther so i would have him firmly as part of the Faerunian pantheon.

However i will be adding a lot to his backstory and alluding to his parentage and how he became a vessel for tia-ma'at in 1357 (not calling it the time of troubles because its not a real event in my world).

Loads more gods to come still, names loosely based on what real world deities i can find but they are all demigods (i redid the god rules so it wasnt so confusing) so they interact in the history of the region and develop their own story from the moment they arrive on Toril.

Ram-Manu for instance will have developed PTSD during his lifetime of fighting and so cowers from battle normally (which is why he never stood up to Gil-Geamesq when the godking went insane).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2017 :  21:33:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a few new events to Unther's history. Based on canon but given a date and some after effects.

-1961 DR: Dalath is founded and immediately destroyed by the Ash Dragon. The Ash Dragon spends the next year rampaging throughout Unther even disrupting a battle between the forces of Unther and Mulhorand along the River of Swords.
-1960 DR to -1898 DR: The Dragon Purges of Unther. Amar-Du'uk and Ass-Uraqn lead the forces of Unther in a purge against all the dragon lords dwelling within Unther's borders. The purges begin with Amar-Du'uk slaying the Ash Dragon in an aerial battle above the Black Ash Plains while the legions of Unther battle dwarven warriors on the ground below.

This is all part of TiaMa'at's revenge for Unther's godkings slaying her family. She sought out dragon lords and stirred them to activity with tales of the godking's prowess and riches and how they came to take their lands from them.
She spent centuries experimenting on them (and herself) until she could take dragon form. She lay with dragons, had a number of children, and even managed to sway a family of blue dragons to her cause (which then dominated the other blue dragons in the region - exiling those who would not submit such as Maladraedior).
In short the dragons wreak havoc against Unther for over half a century before the god-kings slay or enslave them all.
I'm thinking even a few god-king's of Unther may perish in the conflict (particularly when the blue dragon flight mobilises).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2017 :  10:33:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So im thinking about life and society in unther.

Im thinking it should be all about the god kings.

If you are not related to a godking (and therefore nobility) then you are worthless.

Only nobility can own land, have slaves, earn money and have possessions because all of unther belongs to the god kings.

So we have three tiers of people.

The nobles, those related to the god kings. They own all the land in unther and all the wealth and most of the slaves. All the opportunities in life are easy for them. However Gil-Geamesq is the only real ruler so the House of Gil is the most powerful and if they want to bring down another noble it takes only a whisper. Gil-Geamesq is fickle and he kills on a whim including his own house.

Then we have the freeholders. These families claim a descent from the godkings through a bastard scion (usually with a parent). They can rent land and slaves from the nobility and can earn money and own possessions.

Last is the slaves. They have no rights. They are bought, and usually worked to death.

In the grey areas there is the no-men. People born from escaped slaves or those granted freedom by Gil-Geamesq for being great gladiators or generals. Their children are neither slaves nor noble. They have no rights but are not slaves (unless they break laws or offend nobles).

There is a way for some social mobility. Anyone can join the army, so some escaped slaves have done so. If you survive 30 years in the army then you become a freeholder of sorts.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2017 :  18:01:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Latest thought is the enclave.

Who are they, what are their origins, where is their base and why can nobody find it.

My initial thoughts is that they are an amalgam of wizards that Gil-Geamesq outlawed in unther (after the brotherhood of black flame and wizards reach rebellion the wizards had proved themselves too dangerous to control).

Their base is actually an extra dimensional space, and imaskari portal nexus (all portals in an area lead to the space where people can then travel through other portals to the desired destination (if they have the right keys).
So the enclave has access to all imaskari portals in unther that are still operating (and they can block up portals to stop them from working for portals they no longer control on the other side).

Im thinking the group was actually infiltrated by imaskari descendants hiding in Ulgarth that are using the group to collect old imaskari magic

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2017 :  08:49:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a bit of detail to the rebellion from Imaskar.

I figure the godkings travelled all the way to Toril in these magnificent spaceships (the journey wasnt smooth and some people died along the way).
If it was me, i wouldnt leave these ships in a mountain range far to the north.

So i have a new event.
Battle of the Whirling Sands.
The mulan godkings launch a surprise attack on the capital of imaskar and kill lord artificer yuvaraj using the two spaceships to flatten the capital city.

Of course the ships are badly damaged and after the battle as imaskar begins to collapse and its provinces revolt, the godkings flee south with their limping spaceships in tow.

Mulhorand buries its spaceship where it builds its new capital.

Unther drags the ship across the Alamber. The ship finally loses power on an island which is thereafter named the ship of the gods.

Unther then goes on a slaughterfest of native turami before founding the capital of unther.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2017 :  10:10:03  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your site asks me to login. Is necessary to sign up to view stuff?

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 22 Aug 2017 10:16:16
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000