Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Name that critter!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2017 :  21:26:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's no secret that one of my fave fantasy critters is the griffon. I even went so far as to figure out a way to make miniature, house cat-sized griffons in one of my Hooks, using the spell Duhlark's Animerge from the City of Splendors boxed set.

Short version of the spell: it's a modified polymorph that allows the features of two critters to be combined into one -- like the griffon, or owlbear, or any of a whole mess of other critters in fantasy. The new critter could even breed true.

The guy that created the spell liked to name his new critters based on their components, like the badgeram or wolveraven.

Also... Once upon a time, CallMeGene and I were roommates. And the dude is a Transformers freak. At that particular time, Transformers Beast Wars was a thing (the robots actually turned into animals!). He loved it; I thought it was ridiculous. One of the things they did with Beast Wars were the Fuzors, where the animal form of the robot was two animals mixed together, instead of one.

And one of those was a character named Silverbolt. He was a wolf, but his tail and forelegs were those of an eagle -- and he had eagle wings, too. He had a wolf head, so he was kinda but not quite a griffon.

I like this concept. I want to have a D&D wolf-griffon thing. Obviously, I'll never be able to publish it (it's a blatant rip-off!), but I still want to run with it.

The problem is that there is simply no way I can fathom of blending "wolf" and "eagle" into one word without it sounding really stupid (Wolgle? Ealf? See what I mean?).

So I ask y'all to help come up with some name for this hybrid critter. So far, the best I've come up with is gaerfon, and that's still not great.

The person who comes up with the best name wins a moment's gratitude from me. Possibly several moments, or even some praise. None of these things have any known value or usage.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2017 :  22:18:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weaglf (the 'L' is the only letter in common). Still sounds bad, though.

Clawolf? (although maybe I'd spell it 'Klawulf' so it doesn't look as silly).

And now you have me thinking about tiny little Owlbears...

When I used to play Wizards 101 (HEY! Its a cool game! my kids were playing it! ), there were miniature versions of most creatures (including humaoid ones) that you could have as 'pets'. It was basically a ripoff of Pokemon... and it was so popular WoW soon copied the idea.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

feldgangende
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2017 :  22:23:49  Show Profile Send feldgangende a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm, more generically, a lupo-raptor?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2017 :  01:01:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talonhowl.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2017 :  02:06:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feldgangende

hmm, more generically, a lupo-raptor?

I thought of going that angle, but ruled against it -- "lupo" is based on Latin, and I'm pretty sure not many in the Realms know Latin.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2017 :  04:27:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Lyco" (meaning "wolf") is based on Greek, and I'm pretty sure not many in the Realms know Greek. But many in the Realms do know lycanthropy and lycanthropes. (In fact, they would likely think a "lycoraptor" is basically a were-raptor.)

If the "Common" tongue (or even Thorass) resembles English, it'll be filled with many prefixes and suffixes and whole words taken from Latin, Greek, and other languages which are "unknown" in the Realms.

My son was, and I think still is, an avid Transformers fan. I know Silverbolt all too well. I agree that the animal transformers were a bit ridiculous (although not as ridiculous as the dinosaur transformers). Silverbolt ain't as cool as Soundwave, of course.

I tried to determine Silverbolt's exact (sub)species of wolf and eagle. Impossible, since he's has had many different appearances in many different Transformers universes, movies, series, commercials, cartoons, comics, games, toys, merchandise - not to mention many foreign (mostly Japanese) variants worldwide.
Silverbolt is also known as Lobo Plateado ("Silverwolf") in America, Mexico, and Spain ... and is also named Vif-Argent ("Quicksilver") in French Canada, Grifo ("Snout") in Italy, Yin Lang ("Silver Wolf") and Yin Shan-dian ("Silver Bolt") in Taiwan, Shandian ("Bolt") and Pila Xia ("Thunderbolt (man)") in China, Srebrny Grom ("Silver Lightning/Thunder(clap)") in Poland.

Most of the time that Silverbolt's not just looking inexplicably garish, he appears to blend generic (purplish or bluish) grey wolf (head, torso, rear legs) and American bald eagle or golden eagle (front talons, wings, tail) ... along with humanoid alien battle machine, lol.

But sometimes Silverbolt is partially or completely silver, not golden, like a silver-winged hawk. The wiki mentions that Silverbolt was apparently originally designed to be more of a griffon with condor-styled avian features. Some of the designer commentary it links to mentions that various falcon and owl features were included by the artists. They just made (and remade) him into whatever looked cool and sellable each time he was featured in a new Transformers rollout.

Silverbolt was initially conceived as a Nordic kind of character (tentatively named "Winterknight") who was to be a raven/wolf hybrid, but this conception was abandoned and revised because Hasbro thought it would "fail to resonate with Asian cultures" (ie: Asian markets).
I actually think a Viking-like ravenwolf transformer named Winterknight seems very interesting ... but then again I'm not Asian, lol.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Jul 2017 07:16:55
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2017 :  08:56:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My suggestion for the critter name is "aeriewolf". Obsolete spelling would be "eyriewolf"" or even "eyriewulf".

"Aeriewolf" would rhyme with "direwolf" for most American speakers - "airy-wolf" and "eerie-wolf" are also acceptable pronunciations (for British/Australian/Canadian speakers, anyhow), but they've fallen into disfavour because of confusion between aerie, airy, and eerie. Aeriewolf is not to be confused with Airwolf!

"Aerie" means a brood or a nest, it refers to the large nest of a bird of prey (or generally to any nest in a lofty area, or specifically to an eagle's nest), or to the secluded nesting sites of such birds (cliffs and mountaintops, mostly), or to a brood of eagles or hawks or falcons (especially when nesting or when in flight together), or to a dwelling or structure or position which is lofty and elevated and secluded (such as a penthouse suite or a mountaintop fortress or the topmost room in the tallest tower in a keep). It comes from Latin area ("place, ground"), Medieval Latin aerea/aeria/eyria ("high place, nest"), Old French aire ("high nest"), and (possibly) Middle English ey ("egg").

It seems very fitting. Especially since the highest room in the tallest tower of your mountaintop fortress can be designated as the Aerie where you kennel your aeriewolves. (If not, you can always use this room to imprison a princess, as usual.)

I suppose in nature, aeriewolves would tend to nest and brood in cliff/mountain caves (hybrid of wolf den/cavern and eagle's nest), and these sites would also be called aeries. Or they might always occupy ruined and abandoned aerie towers, lol.

Like eagles, they would basically hunt anything smaller than themselves. Like wolves, they would hunt in packs and use pack tactics to take prey much larger than themselves. Like both, they would be aggressively territorial and ever vigilant againt intruders or competitors. I'm not sure how you'd conciliate the superior ("hawk-eyed") visual acuity of raptors with the stunningly mediocre vision (but superior olfactory senses) of canines, I guess it depends on how much of their hunting activities occur in flight vs on the ground? Interesting possibilities with a flying mount which can track by scent on the ground, and the stealth movement/attack abilities of wolves are legendary.

Groups in flight are called (among other names) a "convocation" or "tower" or "soar" of eagles, a "cast" or "kettle" of hawks, a "cast" of falcons, an "aerie" of raptors in general. Maybe a "wingpack" or "aeriepack" of aeriewolves?

Raptors are largely solitary creatures, spending their time alone or (during breeding seasons) with their mate and brood, although a small number can converge and interact (in socially complex ways) from time to time. Wolves are highly social and pack-oriented creatures, they have complex social hierarchies (and follow their "alpha" leader) and will often fight to the death to protect their families - but a rare few are lone wolves (and these are generally far smarter, meaner, tougher, and more dangerous opponents than common pack wolves). Raptors (used in falconry) are notoriously difficult to train and require special care and attention every day, their hunting instincts are so powerful that even "well manned" birds can suddenly attack falconers they've seen every day for years. Canines are fairly easy to train, they can be dumb (or just plain stubborn) but they're eager to learn and eager to please, and they rarely (if ever) turn against their trainers/owners when treated well. Wolves aren't domesticated, though, many people have pet wolves but they're definitely more feral and require more careful handling than domesticated canine breeds. Then again, Realmsfolk train and ride (and fight on) griffons, I'm sure they can figure out how to do the same with aeriewolves.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Jul 2017 09:30:28
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2017 :  01:49:35  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Griwulf (griffon-wolf). Or Grywulf, as a spelling alternative. Avian wolf, though that would more suggest just a winged wolf.

Or, just for fun, a lygle (lycan-eagle) XD

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2017 :  03:11:30  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Already a creature (except Raven instead of eagle) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valravn (see the french page for image)

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2017 :  03:43:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see that Valravne (plural of Valravn) are described several different ways in Danish folklore/mythology. Different not just in intentions and behaviours, but in species and form.
http://warriorsofmyth.wikia.com/wiki/Valravn
https://myth-lord.tumblr.com/post/145748363844/name-valravn-alternate-names-raven-of-the-slain

Very cool creatures, I like them a lot, I "miss" aborted Winterknight all the more now. But Wooly likes Silverbolt. A raven/wolf is not the same as an eagle/wolf, lol.

I'm hoping the old hamster will like "aeriewolf" because it looks/sounds kinda like an elfy-fey sort of word from Middle Earth.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Jul 2017 03:53:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2017 :  04:23:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There have been several good suggestions thus far, but nothing has quite grabbed me. A lot has been almost but not quite right...

It's the same problem I had when I was originally naming my mini-griffons. A lot of stuff sounded close, but it just wasn't right -- I didn't come up with a proper name for them for months. I eventually dubbed them "falcats."

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2017 :  05:02:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lunar eagle?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2017 :  09:11:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danish word for eagle is ørn, and for wolf is ulv, so maybe valørn or ulvørn lol?

Griffon comes from Latin gryphus/gryphys which comes from Greek gryps. They all mean the same thing ("a beast with the head and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion") and were first described in Greek (actually pre-Greek) mythology, although also known to Scythians, Indians, and Persias. Gryps probably comes from an even older word meaning "grips". The terms are used today in the taxonomy of certain vultures, lol.
http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/mythology-griffin.html
http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/ancient-origins-legendary-griffin-001693

Unwieldy terms like gryphlupus and grypslycaon might always be used, lol, at least by the pendantic monk-scholars of Candlekeep.

How about a greywing, a fangwing, or (half the prize goes to Krashos) a winghowler?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2017 :  19:37:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about keeping it simple?

A Critarr?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Nyx_Necrodragon
Acolyte

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2017 :  20:46:17  Show Profile Send Nyx_Necrodragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garav-Thoron, literally means Wolf-Eagle in elvish (sindarin specifically).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2017 :  23:56:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nyx_Necrodragon

Garav-Thoron, literally means Wolf-Eagle in elvish (sindarin specifically).

Hmm. Tweaking and shortening that a bit gets gaeron, which isn't bad.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2017 :  13:19:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mixing up words involving birds and wolves, like Avian, fowl, and canine (I get that you want to stay away from lupine).

Aviacan
Avicanus
Avarican
Avaricanos

Wolfenraptor

also if instead of eagle it was a hawk
Hawkenwolf
Wolfenhawk

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2017 :  19:18:02  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cavian

Falwolf (falcon-wolf), or just go with the full name, falconwolf

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2017 :  05:43:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wolfwing
Fangwing
Hawolf (Hawk-wolf)

And do they travel in packs, or flocks? (or flacks?)

EDIT:
And would it look like a larger version of a Dharzi Hunting Dog?

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jul 2017 05:47:36
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2017 :  16:27:38  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's some scientific and common names for both crashed into one another:

Eaglelupus
Eaglupus
Accilupus
Lupavian

I really like sleyvas' Wolfenraptor. I'd go with that one myself.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  03:48:53  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best thing I can think off the top of my head is something like "Snarltalon." Besides that, here are some either ideas:

- Skyhowler
- Skyprowler
- Lupogryph (namely if it's supposed to be related to a gryphon)
- Avialupos

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  04:36:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lupogryph rather appeals to me.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  17:49:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wolfenstein.

Ya know... a 'Frankensteined' Wolf.

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Jul 2017 17:49:48
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  22:55:02  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Danish word for eagle is ørn, and for wolf is ulv, so maybe valørn or ulvørn lol?

Valørn sounds good, (Battle eagle), Ulvørn probably should be written Ulveørn (wolf eagle).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  00:56:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Lupogryph rather appeals to me.

I'd agree. Of everything so far, Lupogryph sounds the best.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000