Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Halruaa's Five Companies, Redux
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2017 :  03:23:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of the few things I liked from the 4E era of the Realms was the Five Companies: five linked mercenary units founded by survivors of Halruaa's Spellplague-induced big boom.

Here's the info on the Five Companies, and their base, courtesy of the FR Wiki: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Yaulazna

Many of you know I'm also a fan of (pre-Jihad) BattleTech (particularly Wolf's Dragoons, who inspired this spin). And it's from there, and the fact that Halruaa didn't really get blasted off the map, that I got an idea for respinning the Five Companies.

First, the three skyships given to the lizard men of Rethild. Mayhaps it's just me, but I don't see Halruaans simply giving away skyships. I similarly don't see the lizard men being able to do much with them, without heavy Halruaan assistance.

My idea is that "officially" the skyships were given to the lizard men, but actually, they remained very much in Halruaan control. "Giving" them to the lizard men meant that the ships could be used them against the Crinti, and that any potential ramifications of these attacks would be directed against the lizard men.

But then the Spellplague happened. And those three ships were conveniently outside Halruaa when things went south, there. So were a couple of other skyships. As soon as someone in Halruaa was able to catch their breath long enough, they contacted the captains of the five ships with a new plan...

To the outside world, the members of the Five Companies were renegades and survivors of a fallen nation.

In actuality, one of the primary missions of the Companies was to heavily emphasize the "dangerous magical wasteland" aspect of their fallen nation.

They were also to spy on the outside world, and wherever possible, act in Halruaan interests - maybe by acquiring certain rare materials, or maybe by limiting who knew about particular magics, or maybe by making sure the eyes of the world were firmly kept elsewhere.

And obviously, the members of the Five Companies would be those who were eager to see the wider Realms. These Halruaans, mostly younger ones, would be able to see the Realms and travel as much as they wanted, while still keeping the secrets of their homeland. Once they'd had their fill, they could go home, and a new batch of young Halruaans would take their places.

So Halruaa's existence would be unknown to the larger world -- but the Halruaans still knew what was going on, were able to go where they needed, get what they needed, and still have at least a minor bit of influence on the outside world.

Physical isolation, but not mercantile isolation or ignorance of the events of the wider world. What could be more ideal for a nation that wants to go its own way and be left alone?

Edit: Decided to change to a more descriptive Subject.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Aug 2017 16:42:19

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2017 :  03:59:16  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds great, makes sense to me.

If interested, I was surprised to discover the Five Companies had a presence in the Neverwinter MMO game, set in around 1479. These are the notes I pulled from it:

Flying pirate ships (non-Halruuan) used to raid Sword Coast from Pirates' Skyhold (chain of earthmotes high in the sky), but a few decades ago (~1440?) they stopped for an unknown reason.
Company Yargo is one of the Five Companies, here looking for wreckage of Magister's Hope skyship on Pirates' Skyhold. Halfling woman Shil Yargo is Captain. Descended from legendary Pirate King Yargo who ruled Yaulazna before the Spellplague.
Company Yargo has a Halruuan skyship called the Buccaneer's Tear that they use to travel to the Skyhold (ship also mentioned in 4e FRCG)
Years ago Bartholomew Blackdagger, the Pirate King, raided up and down the Sword Coast in skyships, flying out from the earthmote of Pirate's Skyhold. He even minted his own coins. His attacks lasted about ten years.
Decades ago Bartholomew became cursed to become undead and never leave the island, and transferred the curse to much of his crew, though some managed to avoid it but were still stranded in the skyhold
There are the ruins of a town on the island, sinking into swamp
Skull Fortress was built by pirates as defense from lizardfolk who were also on the earth mote
Two skyships of Blackdaggers still skyworthy
Catapults shit at hitting skyships: need ballista on rotating spot
Wizard suspects Skyhold was attacked by a black dragon
Found magical rod-like artifact called a "control rod" on body of Blackdagger's 2IC, Kayliss, that lets them fly the ships. Used post-Spellplague.
Company Yargo takes one of the Blackdagger's skyships - and presumably the second as well when Blackdagger himself is killed in the main raid
Poisoning and curse may have had to do with the black dragon Garundar the Vile (skirmish event)

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2017 :  05:51:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this take.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  17:50:24  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yup

makes it serious plug and play wherever needed and with a little tweaking, becomes the fr equivalent of Madagascar during the golden age of piracy :D

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  00:37:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say mix this concept with the idea that SOME portions of Halruaa stayed and SOME portions of Halruaa transferred. The portions that stayed probably were the smaller communities, AND they probably don't know truly what happened to those that went to Abeir.

Then of course, myself I'd throw in a spin that the worship of Leira has grown amongst these Halruaans lying about their existence and hiding their homeland under illusions.

Also, I'd throw in there that maybe there were plaguelands in Halruaa, but that there were stable paths in and out, and they used this to protect themselves even as they spread the rumors that the whole country was destroyed. Meanwhile, possibly these Halruaans were raiding and stockpiling from their old communities, and this may cause some conflict with the Halruaans who have since returned from Abeir..... hmmm, and maybe some of them flee to another nearby magocracy recently returned from Abeir that has already accepted some "rebel Halruaan red wizards", just because they don't want to give up their personal power to the returning Halruaan Elders.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 28 Aug 2017 02:03:37
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  03:25:37  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The smaller communities near the bay, would be a good idea. Isolated enough so people from the continent exploring the plaguelands cannot find them, yet those communities are far from the plaguelands and secure themselves as well.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000