Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 D&D finally using Magic: the Gathering settings
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2017 :  15:27:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So last year WotC put out a pdf of Information based on one of the settings from Magic: the Gathering called Innestrad. It's a setting that has a strong dark, horror-movie styled theme with werewolves and vampires and other things that go bump in the night. It detailed the various races and monsters within the setting using D&D 5e as it's system.

Since then, they've put out 3 others. All from their current or previously recent sets: Zendikar, Kaladesh, and now Amonkhet (Egyptian style) as all detailed overviews of the settings. You can download them here:

Innistrad

Zendikar

Kaladesh

Amonkhet

Now hopefully we'll continue to get these great setting pamphlets that detail, to some degree, a really great game and it's environs. It also makes you think: "Why hasn't WotC ventured down this avenue before now?" I mean look at Magic: the Gathering as a whole, you've got Dragons, magic, mages, knights, vampires, zombie, necromancer, elves, dwarves (albeit only a few), Orcs, Goblins, monsters, elder evils, Eldrazi, Slivers (ie. Xenomorphs), Avatars, deities, Minotaurs, treants, etc. It basically writes itself as a setting and has a TON of marketing potential in the D&D sphere. Imagine if WotC gets some of the hold-out M:tG players to cross over into the D&D universe, it hold great possibilities without really losing anything in the process. Lets hope they keep it up!

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  05:54:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ravenloft never really did well. Many AD&D players bought into Ravenloft to complete their collections or run (or read) as a side-line, but I doubt any ever bought into a standalone Ravenloft setting and nothing else. Horror genre just didn't go over that well, maybe because it was competing with the Cthulhu and Vampire/Werewolf/etc products of the era.

I also find it interesting that WotC is pushing development of in-house stuff into 5E. While ignoring development of other things, like say Ravenloft proper or Spelljammer or Al Qadim or <gasp!> the Forgotten Realms. All those monsters and things seen in MtG have been seen in D&D before. D&D also basically writes itself and has a TON of marketing potential in the D&D sphere - as the endless demands of disgruntled D&D fans quite obviously attest, lol.

I suppose there is a market for MtG+D&D crossovers. But not for me. Late-3E and all of 4E already let me taste enough of those "possibilities" and, well, "without really losing anything in the process" is always twisted by WotC into some sort of "nuke everything out of the way in the process" while reformatting to their seasonal (and editional) managerial whimsies.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  06:44:27  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ayrik, I was about to delve into a large tangent about this malcontent bubble that the 'Keep has become...but honestly whatever. You took a LOT of time and words just to say you're not interested in Magic as a setting. Cool? I guess...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  14:57:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know WotC was doing these, since I never go to their website anymore.

I've no interest in Magic: The Gathering, myself, but I'll happily loot anything interesting. So I'll be checking these out.

Thanks for the links!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2017 :  15:17:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the time I looted Ravenloft for monsters and ideas. I will probably loot this Magic Setting for any useful loot. Thanks for sharing Diffan.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2017 :  22:57:13  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I didn't know WotC was doing these, since I never go to their website anymore.

I've no interest in Magic: The Gathering, myself, but I'll happily loot anything interesting. So I'll be checking these out.

Thanks for the links!

You're welcome! And you're right, they're fun to pilfer for interesting things. For example the Naga in Amonkhet can be used for using those types of lizard-folk/naga in the Najara-region of Faerûn.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2017 :  22:57:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Most of the time I looted Ravenloft for monsters and ideas. I will probably loot this Magic Setting for any useful loot. Thanks for sharing Diffan.

No problem. If anything, they can be used as a fun source for brain storming at least
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000