Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Selunite Orders
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  12:12:35  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings Sages,

I have been looking on information on two specific orders of Selunites, namely the "Swords of the Lady", a group of fanatical warriors in the Moonmaidens service, and the "Silver Path", an order of rangers I know even less about. Especially the Silver Path raises my curiosity.

I haven't been able to find more than a few mentions here and there, so I was wondering if any of you could help me to shed some light on the subject.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  00:10:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faiths & Avatars is it officially. Most of the Affiliated Orders in the god books are simply a name a one sentence description, awaiting the motivated DM to flush them out.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  01:53:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, that may be a good thing. I've been putting together some notes on the Silver Path for some time, ever since I generated those Selunite-based magic items for the Magic Shop. I jad intended to use the order of rangers in my campaign, but the forces of Malar had other less-productive ideas...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  06:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, thought as much... I'll work it with my own ideas then, thanks.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  07:11:34  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance that some or all of these Selunites could be Lycanthropes? That would be really cool and make a fun campaign especially if your players formed the group I want to be a Weretiger!

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  07:38:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

Any chance that some or all of these Selunites could be Lycanthropes? That would be really cool and make a fun campaign especially if your players formed the group I want to be a Weretiger!

There is, unofficially, a group of werecat worshippers of Selūne active in Waterdeep. They're called the Knights of the Half Moon, and are mentioned under werecats in the Realms Bestiary, Volume 1 (found on Eric L Boyd's website, on the monsters page: http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/monsters.html ).

Selūne's faith does attract good-aligned lycanthropes, so I see no problem with an order of lycanthropes serving her -- after all, the document referenced above does set the precedent!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  09:48:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are right about that Wooly. I'd read something about a lawful group of wolf-weres (who are quite different from werewolves) who also chose to worship Selune, sometime ago, just before the Silver Marches tome was released. I think it was from a web enchancement.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jacinth Greyfox
Acolyte

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  17:47:30  Show Profile  Visit Jacinth Greyfox's Homepage Send Jacinth Greyfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my last homebrew campaign there was a magical fair which appeared in certain places at different phases of the moon it was mainly staffed by fey creatures and other-planar being and dealt in magical components and minor items among other things. It was preside over by the ranking priest of the moon in whichever area it was currently trading and was known as the "moon market". In the Realms would such an enterprise be ubder the auspices of the church of Selune or is their a more appropriate diety?

The Throne or the Tomb!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  19:03:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jacinth Greyfox

In my last homebrew campaign there was a magical fair which appeared in certain places at different phases of the moon it was mainly staffed by fey creatures and other-planar being and dealt in magical components and minor items among other things. It was preside over by the ranking priest of the moon in whichever area it was currently trading and was known as the "moon market". In the Realms would such an enterprise be ubder the auspices of the church of Selune or is their a more appropriate diety?

I'd say Selūne would primarily cover it, but the magical sales part would likely involve Mystra, as well. Say, a joint venture between the churches?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  19:12:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jacinth Greyfox

I'd use the Seelie Court myself. But 3e has sort of written them out of FR since "there was to many deities in the Realms."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jacinth Greyfox
Acolyte

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  19:31:38  Show Profile  Visit Jacinth Greyfox's Homepage Send Jacinth Greyfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In its original form the Moon Market was under the patronage of the Seelie Court, but some of the deals the Fey creatures made with foolish customers caused such an uproar that eventually the local priests of the moon took on a supervisory role over the market with the Seelie Courts blessing. ( You should see the details of that deal

The Throne or the Tomb!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  05:55:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And where are these details?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2014 :  00:51:24  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The White Pack - A pack of good Selunite werewolves allied with the Fangshields. (Champions of Valor - page 79)

The Pact of the New Moon - is a sect of lycanthropic Selūnites who represent the primal facet of the Moonmaiden, hunting down cultists of Malar and evil lycanthropes. They are sometimes considered heretics by the orthodox clerics of their faith so they hide their affiliation. (Mistress of the Night - by Don Bassingthwaite and Dave Gross)

With respect, I believe any character looking to go this road should check out Scribes Boyd and Costa's Moon Hunter entry in their Realms Bestiary II

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Dec 2014 00:57:50
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2014 :  01:06:03  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You are right about that Wooly. I'd read something about a lawful group of wolf-weres (who are quite different from werewolves) who also chose to worship Selune, sometime ago, just before the Silver Marches tome was released. I think it was from a web enchancement.

Any idea where you saw this, Sage? I know it was a looong time ago.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 14 Dec 2014 01:09:42
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2014 :  20:03:47  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhere in my recent travels I stumbled across an Order of Selunites that wield specially blessed "moonswords" or "silverswords" or somesuch, but I cannot find it now, anybody know?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2014 :  02:49:24  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No love for Selune, really? Damn.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  16:48:18  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about these swords, in 2e material I've seen the moon blade spell - quite cool, and reproduced in 3 or 3.5 materials - and about enchanted maces used by specialty priests of Selūne. I'd also like to know about these moon/silver swords...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 21 Dec 2014 16:58:46
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  20:38:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this mentioned on the old Realms-L Archives...

Subject: PEOPLE, CUSTOM: Selune and Moonswords
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Quite liked the ethos of the Moonswords.

As far as Selune adding women to her portfolio ... maybe fertility (I know
this encroaches on others), I'm just thinking that the moon is often linked
with female fertility? Sorry no more, must dash and do work.

John

but I am unfamiliar to the site and can't seem to find the actual article, hopefully one of our more senior scribes can tell.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 21 Dec 2014 20:42:50
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  20:42:14  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PEOPLE, CUSTOM: Selune and Moonswords
PEOPLE, CUSTOM: Selune and Moonswords (22 lines)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:46:43 +1200

What does log-in to unmask mean? Do I need to sign up to see the content. Are you still able to?

Do any of our more distinguished Scribes have these entries hidden away?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 21 Dec 2014 23:54:10
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  01:02:52  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the crossover...

It seems as if those entries refer to yet another Order of Selunites as opposed to magic weapons carried by them. Other than the wiki, every document I have list Moon's Hand maces as the favored weapons of Silverstars. Thanks though, Scribes.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000