Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What do the Zhentarim trade through Llorkh?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2017 :  17:11:02  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm curious. I've been looking at the area for a potential campaign and every mention of Llorkh mentions that the Zhentarim are there for trade and there are various references to the Zhents wanting to control a shorter trade route from the Moonsea to Waterdeep. The question is what they trade along that route?

Typically, at the technology level seen in the Forgotten Realms (animal powered caravans, overland routes concern themselves with high-value, low-bulk goods because it is so expensive to move anything by land. You don't typically trade commodities over such a route because the cost is prohibitive. So, what are those goods? I've been trying to find anything to indicate what goes along that route and can't ever really find anything except vague references to "valuable items" or references to a trade in illegal items (like slaves). Is there anything more specific ever mentioned anywhere?

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2017 :  17:22:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The answer may be simply whatever is in high demand and low supply at the time.

Manshoon has a massive network of agents and informants such that he is said to be able to influence what type of hat a single farmer in halruaa will by. That in itself is not all that useful, but when you can manipulate what the majority of farmers in halruaa will by then you can corner the market.

By setting trends and fashions in waterdeep he can have people desire just the goods his zhent caravans happen to be selling. Maybe not the manufactured goods themselves but the raw materials uses to make them.

He can also ensure other traders lack those particular materials to sell or ensure they are late to market and miss the trend.

The sea routes to waterdeep only include lands along the sword coast. All the goods from the shining south and hordelands have to pass through the inner sea region which is a long route. They all go around the great desert but the zhents have multiple ways to go through, under, and just jump passed it.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2017 :  17:35:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a humongous Zhent 'Trade map' that came with the Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxed set.

I don't have time to look it up now, but that product focused (in part) on their trade routes, and what they traded.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2017 :  02:30:53  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

The answer may be simply whatever is in high demand and low supply at the time.

Manshoon has a massive network of agents and informants such that he is said to be able to influence what type of hat a single farmer in halruaa will by. That in itself is not all that useful, but when you can manipulate what the majority of farmers in halruaa will by then you can corner the market.

By setting trends and fashions in waterdeep he can have people desire just the goods his zhent caravans happen to be selling. Maybe not the manufactured goods themselves but the raw materials uses to make them.

He can also ensure other traders lack those particular materials to sell or ensure they are late to market and miss the trend.

The sea routes to waterdeep only include lands along the sword coast. All the goods from the shining south and hordelands have to pass through the inner sea region which is a long route. They all go around the great desert but the zhents have multiple ways to go through, under, and just jump passed it.

I suppose what I'm getting to is what Waterdeep and the Savage Frontier has to trade that the Zhentarim want to buy and vice versa. I mean, obviously the Zhents can play dirty and manipulate markets and sabotage competitors and so on, but I'm trying to get a better picture of what people are trading. It's a good point that they can get in the business of trading goods from the east through, so that means things like silks and spices. I'm just trying to get a better picture of what tends to be in supply and in demand that a merchant could make a profit off of, whether Zhentarim or not. That would tell me what trade the Zhents are trying to move in on and take over.
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2017 :  02:31:36  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There is a humongous Zhent 'Trade map' that came with the Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxed set.

I don't have time to look it up now, but that product focused (in part) on their trade routes, and what they traded.

I looked but the map only shows the actual routes, not what is on them. Looking over the book didn't reveal anything obvious either.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2017 :  15:27:49  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue should help come up with some trade goods ideas.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  03:51:43  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue should help come up with some trade goods ideas.

That's an idea, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  04:07:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't Power of Faerūn cover trade routes, as well?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  04:11:43  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Didn't Power of Faerūn cover trade routes, as well?

I just took a quick look and it looks like it covers generalities about trade but not what specific goods travel on specific routes.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  16:21:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there was at least one map somewhere that showed regional trade goods... 1e campaign guide?

Once again, running out the door, so I don't have time to check.

Sorry that the Zhentil Keep box fell flat - I thought that was the one with the trade-good icons all over it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2017 :  04:13:35  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I know there was at least one map somewhere that showed regional trade goods... 1e campaign guide?

Once again, running out the door, so I don't have time to check.

Sorry that the Zhentil Keep box fell flat - I thought that was the one with the trade-good icons all over it.

There's one in the 3e FRCS that shows a few trade routes and has symbols for the various types of goods common in each area but nothing really stands out for the trade across the desert to Llorkh from that map. It doesn't look like the Moonsea has anything the Savage Frontier doesn't, so I guess it would have to be transshipment of luxury goods from elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000