Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is it Abeir-Toril or just Toril?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  05:03:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I'm weak on any lore pertaining to Abeir as a separate entity... The whole idea of Abeir as a separate world was a retcon, and it was very poorly managed, in my opinion. Almost every aspect of it creates a lot of issues -- like the moon thing discussed earlier, in this thread -- and either breaks existing lore, doesn't make any sense, or both.

The whole thing would have worked orders of magnitude better if it had been some sort of extraplanar invasion or something, instead of the Sundered worlds thing. Plus, that approach wouldn't have been a retcon, and the rest of the prior lore wouldn't have been broken.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  05:37:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

No judgement here from I! There is so much lore to know on the Realms, it is in my opinion the one true setting where you really can have legitimate academic amounts of knowledge, as you would see with real world disciplines. It is truly epic.

Fair enough on the Abeir issue then as well. I figured I would ask one of the master's here, as a Seeker is still seeking, right?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Honestly, I'm weak on any lore pertaining to Abeir as a separate entity... The whole idea of Abeir as a separate world was a retcon, and it was very poorly managed, in my opinion. Almost every aspect of it creates a lot of issues -- like the moon thing discussed earlier, in this thread -- and either breaks existing lore, doesn't make any sense, or both.

The whole thing would have worked orders of magnitude better if it had been some sort of extraplanar invasion or something, instead of the Sundered worlds thing. Plus, that approach wouldn't have been a retcon, and the rest of the prior lore wouldn't have been broken.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  14:08:58  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see the rest of the draconic pantheon must be hanging around at the spelljammer station dressed in hobo rags, musing wistfully on better days.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  14:15:50  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe LordofBones,

haha...that just conjured up a pretty amazing image in my mind.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I see the rest of the draconic pantheon must be hanging around at the spelljammer station dressed in hobo rags, musing wistfully on better days.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  13:21:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, for those (like me) who didn't follow the reference of Erek-hus, the King of Terror, and Io/Asgorath… its under the dragonborn in the SCAG

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, page 112
Another legend asserts that Io created the dragons at the birth of the world, but dragonborn did not yet exist. Then, during the Dawn War, Io was killed by the primordial known as Erek-Hus, the King of Terror. With a rough-hewn axe of adamantine, the behemoth split Io from head to tail, cleaving the dragon-god into two equal halves, which rose up as new gods- Bahamut and Tiamat. Droplets of Io's blood, spattered across the world,
became the first dragonborn. For some who believe it, this origin story supports the view that dragonborn are clearly inferior to the dragons that were made by Io's loving hand, while others emphasize that the dragonborn arose from Io's own blood- just as two draconic deities
arose from the god's severed body. So are the dragonborn not, therefore, like the gods themselves?

This is apparently lore from the 4th edition "Player's Handbook Races - Dragonborn" as I did deeper. Its here that we find more lore on Erek-Hus
From PHR-Dragonborn
IO'S SUNDERED HEART When Erek-Hus, the King ofTerror, sundered Io's body, he cut the dragon-god's heart cleanly in half. The sundered halves of Io's heart give life to Bahamut and Tiamat-but ifthey were reunited, Io himself could live again. Of course, claiming the two halves of the heart probably means killing both Tiamat and Bahamut-or at least killing one deity and convincing the other to ingest or absorb that half of the heart.
What do you hope to gain by reuniting the heart? Are you a devotee of Io's Children who simply wishes to see your god restored? Or are you on the path of the Avatar of Io (see below), seeking to complete this quest in order to achieve your immortality?
This would be appropriate as a major quest that your entire party pursues. However, if it's part ofcompleting your epic destiny, it might be a minor quest-despite its far-reaching consequences.
THE KING OF TERROR After the primordial Erek-Hus slew Io, Bahamut and Tiamat, rising up from their dead progenitor's corpse, destroyed the King of Terror. Among those elemental beings and mortals who revere the primordials, however, there are some who seek to revive the King of Terror. Collecting fragments of his shattered body, they plan a ritual to reunite the fragments and restore him to life. You make it your mission to stop them.
Foiling the ritual might be a major quest you share with your party, but there might be steps along the way that are more personal for you and appropriate for minor quests. You might seek to disrupt local cults, take out key cult leaders, or find fragments ofthe primordial's body before the cultists do and destroy them.

Which SOME might read this theory, along with the increased interest of Bahamut and Tiamat just following the ToT and before the spellplague which hurled Abeir and Toril back together. Makes me also wonder about the "Heart of Ubtao" earthmote floating above Chult.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  17:25:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's too similar to Tymora and Beshaba's story, for my liking.

I realize that the good and evil counterparts arising from a common origin story is hardly unique to the deities of Luck, but still, I think they could have tried harder to make something unique. (Though I'm inclined to think this was specifically against the 4E design guidelines)

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  17:28:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Thank you for posting that information. I do believe I just referenced it without citing it!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

So, for those (like me) who didn't follow the reference of Erek-hus, the King of Terror, and Io/Asgorath… its under the dragonborn in the SCAG

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, page 112
Another legend asserts that Io created the dragons at the birth of the world, but dragonborn did not yet exist. Then, during the Dawn War, Io was killed by the primordial known as Erek-Hus, the King of Terror. With a rough-hewn axe of adamantine, the behemoth split Io from head to tail, cleaving the dragon-god into two equal halves, which rose up as new gods- Bahamut and Tiamat. Droplets of Io's blood, spattered across the world,
became the first dragonborn. For some who believe it, this origin story supports the view that dragonborn are clearly inferior to the dragons that were made by Io's loving hand, while others emphasize that the dragonborn arose from Io's own blood- just as two draconic deities
arose from the god's severed body. So are the dragonborn not, therefore, like the gods themselves?

This is apparently lore from the 4th edition "Player's Handbook Races - Dragonborn" as I did deeper. Its here that we find more lore on Erek-Hus
From PHR-Dragonborn
IO'S SUNDERED HEART When Erek-Hus, the King ofTerror, sundered Io's body, he cut the dragon-god's heart cleanly in half. The sundered halves of Io's heart give life to Bahamut and Tiamat-but ifthey were reunited, Io himself could live again. Of course, claiming the two halves of the heart probably means killing both Tiamat and Bahamut-or at least killing one deity and convincing the other to ingest or absorb that half of the heart.
What do you hope to gain by reuniting the heart? Are you a devotee of Io's Children who simply wishes to see your god restored? Or are you on the path of the Avatar of Io (see below), seeking to complete this quest in order to achieve your immortality?
This would be appropriate as a major quest that your entire party pursues. However, if it's part ofcompleting your epic destiny, it might be a minor quest-despite its far-reaching consequences.
THE KING OF TERROR After the primordial Erek-Hus slew Io, Bahamut and Tiamat, rising up from their dead progenitor's corpse, destroyed the King of Terror. Among those elemental beings and mortals who revere the primordials, however, there are some who seek to revive the King of Terror. Collecting fragments of his shattered body, they plan a ritual to reunite the fragments and restore him to life. You make it your mission to stop them.
Foiling the ritual might be a major quest you share with your party, but there might be steps along the way that are more personal for you and appropriate for minor quests. You might seek to disrupt local cults, take out key cult leaders, or find fragments ofthe primordial's body before the cultists do and destroy them.

Which SOME might read this theory, along with the increased interest of Bahamut and Tiamat just following the ToT and before the spellplague which hurled Abeir and Toril back together. Makes me also wonder about the "Heart of Ubtao" earthmote floating above Chult.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  17:31:27  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I certainly see your point there. The two sides being sundered is a bit overused: agreed.

It does seem like 4e does factor into so much of these conversations, with a profound impact (and for good reason of course). It has definitely caught me unaware on many occasions when just referencing lore and then finding out later by my own accord or someone else that certain things were retconned.

Frustrating for me.

Best regards,

quote:

I realize that the good and evil counterparts arising from a common origin story is hardly unique to the deities of Luck, but still, I think they could have tried harder to make something unique. (Though I'm inclined to think this was specifically against the 4E design guidelines)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  19:51:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was very frustrating to be actively following the setting at the time, too.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  23:33:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I completely understand. I've been such an avid and loyal fan of the Realms since the late 80's. This kind of alteration was just frustrating as can be. Just as was seen with continuity violations with Star Wars in episodes 1, 2, and 3, we see that kind of frustrating situation here.

Best regards,

quote:

It was very frustrating to be actively following the setting at the time, too.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  00:25:02  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-For months, in the 4e lead up, it wasn't even clear exactly what the hell "Abeir" was. The 4e book cleared it up more or less, but when you can't make sense of exactly what they're talking about in preview articles...that's bad.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  04:15:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord Karsus,

Great point of course. For a place of learning such as Candlekeep, the frustration must have been profound!

I appreciate the insight.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-For months, in the 4e lead up, it wasn't even clear exactly what the hell "Abeir" was. The 4e book cleared it up more or less, but when you can't make sense of exactly what they're talking about in preview articles...that's bad.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  13:48:17  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never liked any of the Abeir / Toril were separate things. Abeir-Toril - one world. Done
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  16:18:09  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Mage,

I can certainly appreciate your point there. It seemed very disjointed. Although, from an author's perspective it is probably really cool because it allows them to come back to that at a future point in time to use that material for more Realms drama (not saying I like or dislike that, just identifying that).

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I never liked any of the Abeir / Toril were separate things. Abeir-Toril - one world. Done

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  16:58:08  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't see why having two worlds gives more possibilities for future writing. I've been reading FR for almost 30 years and in that time they've published a couple hundred books. Meanwhile here on earth the same number of books are published set on this planet every week or so. Abeir-Toril is a whole planet with billions of characters to explore on the page. No need for a dimensional twin.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  19:11:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't see why having two worlds gives more possibilities for future writing. I've been reading FR for almost 30 years and in that time they've published a couple hundred books. Meanwhile here on earth the same number of books are published set on this planet every week or so. Abeir-Toril is a whole planet with billions of characters to explore on the page. No need for a dimensional twin.

Indeed. We've got entire continents on the world Abeir-Toril that don't even have as much as an official name. Even if the designers were as constrained as they claim by existing lore (a highly dubious claim, at best), they simply could have started on any one or more of those continents. There was no need for massive retcons and blowing up the setting.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  20:26:42  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Mage,

I can very appreciate your point. My thinking on this matter was presupposed upon the notion of the at times, seemingly, disjointed approach that WotC has taken on the matter of lore production. I feel that the 4e production of material was driven towards getting younger readers, who did not want to have the barriers to enter regarding lore, involved in the game and so anything they could potentially use in the future as a means to get that done would be a positive. This would only be a business decision, as we can see from the (as I feel) bizarre approach they took to a severe dismantling of the Realms at the onset of 4e.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  00:10:08  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

I feel that the 4e production of material was driven towards getting younger readers, who did not want to have the barriers to enter regarding lore, involved in the game and so anything they could potentially use in the future as a means to get that done would be a positive. This would only be a business decision, as we can see from the (as I feel) bizarre approach they took to a severe dismantling of the Realms at the onset of 4e.

Thoughts?

-They've said as much that that was the case.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  00:34:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Lord Karsus,

Well, I suppose that is rewarding in a way. Of course, I just wish it would not have happened. Then again...I don't always seem to get what I want in life, at all times. haha

Out of curiosity, was that admission anything printed/online, or orally at a convention?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

I feel that the 4e production of material was driven towards getting younger readers, who did not want to have the barriers to enter regarding lore, involved in the game and so anything they could potentially use in the future as a means to get that done would be a positive. This would only be a business decision, as we can see from the (as I feel) bizarre approach they took to a severe dismantling of the Realms at the onset of 4e.

Thoughts?

-They've said as much that that was the case.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  12:45:01  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I realize that the good and evil counterparts arising from a common origin story is hardly unique to the deities of Luck, but still, I think they could have tried harder to make something unique.

All the splitting apart of deities was actually the one thing about 4th ed. I liked.

In my campaigns, I treat them as metaphors for aspects of divinity changing, as the world and the rules of the universe (and thus Portfolios) change.

For example, The original Io as one of the oldest gods was said to have been of all alignments. That would makes sense, if he existed before alignments existed as we know them today. When Good and Evil began emerge as separate concepts (as described in the history of the Blood War), why wouldn't a god that previously encompassed both split along those lines too?

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.

Edited by - Misereor on 28 Sep 2018 12:46:20
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  13:07:26  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Misereor,

That is an interesting point for sure. I like hearing people's different opinions, especially those coming in at a later point in time with 4e or later to hear their views. Having started in the 80's with Forgotten Realms, I am so old school, I couldn't be turned away from the Realms, and so hearing new views on what got people into the Realms now is fascinating.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Misereor

quote:

I realize that the good and evil counterparts arising from a common origin story is hardly unique to the deities of Luck, but still, I think they could have tried harder to make something unique.

All the splitting apart of deities was actually the one thing about 4th ed. I liked.

In my campaigns, I treat them as metaphors for aspects of divinity changing, as the world and the rules of the universe (and thus Portfolios) change.

For example, The original Io as one of the oldest gods was said to have been of all alignments. That would makes sense, if he existed before alignments existed as we know them today. When Good and Evil began emerge as separate concepts (as described in the history of the Blood War), why wouldn't a god that previously encompassed both split along those lines too?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000