Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Attention Sage and other music lovers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  05:59:21  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q

Not directly Realmsian but one can never tell what sort of influences have come through portals.

Of course the plastic has to go, replaced by different woods and metals. Whatever he has the electronics for would be covered by bits of magic (prestidigitation, cantrips, whatever).

The result (in the Realms) is a sort of Heward's Organ meets the Machine of Lum the Mad, scaled down from an artifact to something gnomes could actually produce, and it's (semi)portable!

Anyway, it sounds cool, and I figured the music lovers wouldn't object. And maybe someone other than me gets inspiration from it.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  12:58:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  13:01:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is just amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  13:44:17  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is pretty cool!!
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  13:43:05  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely a gnomish contraption!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2017 :  04:14:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is fascinating stuff. I'll need to look further into it... because it's got my creative juices for Realms-music lore working again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2017 :  15:27:04  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Groovy!

While on the topic of non-human built instruments, do massive church organs exist in the Realms? I imagine the biggest one would probably be one built for storm giant chantries, and could split mountains with their low subsonic notes.

I always thought clavecimbul or harpischord would be fit for Waterdhavian, Amnian and Thetyrran festhalls, and a form of waltz would be a common dance.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2017 :  17:51:39  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

This is fascinating stuff. I'll need to look further into it... because it's got my creative juices for Realms-music lore working again.

Glad to hear it. I know you've been working on it for a while. SageTime being what it is, things need a "bump" every once in a while.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2017 :  18:03:08  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

do massive church organs exist in the Realms?

They must. The churches of Milil and Lliira (though human) would certainly explore every possible means of musical expression. It seems reasonable even without looking it up that music would be addressed in giant and dragon pantheons (and almost every other pantheon too).

Dwarves often build their halls on a larger-than-necessary scale; acoustics for giant organs and other horns could be part of the reason for that -- though smoke management is probably the main thing.

I'm even picturing an orc from Airspur (dressed in a tux!) playing professionally in concerts in Cimbar.

quote:

I always thought clavecimbul or harpischord would be fit for Waterdhavian, Amnian and Thetyrran festhalls, and a form of waltz would be a common dance.

Sounds totally reasonable.
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2017 :  12:57:49  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While on the topic of non-human built instruments, do massive church organs exist in the Realms?

The Zulkoon used in Thay is described as a semi portable organ with foot pedal. The instrument is on a FR wiki illustrated with a bagpipe picture; but that don't match the description.
A better match would be a foot pumped organ similar to the one seen in "Snow White and the seven dwarfs", where Grumpy play a pump organ with pipes looking like totem poles with bird and animal faces.

If so; it's quite possibly non-portable Zulkoons could exist, too.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2017 :  06:17:29  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Of course the plastic has to go, replaced by different woods and metals. Whatever he has the electronics for would be covered by bits of magic (prestidigitation, cantrips, whatever).

Materials can be processed, especially in the Realms (up to glassteel). And combined (see composite bows). Almost anything this side of termenvox that doesn't involve DSP can be done in pure acoustic, but often at the cost of efficiency. Magic is mostly needed for amplification, and even then mainly because fluid amplifiers are too finicky.

For instruments and references, see also Music and Musical Instruments of the Realms and Musical Instruments.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2017 :  13:03:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starshade

quote:

While on the topic of non-human built instruments, do massive church organs exist in the Realms?

The Zulkoon used in Thay is described as a semi portable organ with foot pedal. The instrument is on a FR wiki illustrated with a bagpipe picture; but that don't match the description.
A better match would be a foot pumped organ similar to the one seen in "Snow White and the seven dwarfs", where Grumpy play a pump organ with pipes looking like totem poles with bird and animal faces.

If so; it's quite possibly non-portable Zulkoons could exist, too.

Thank you. I had forgotten about the Zulkoon. I may need to bring that out more in something I've been working on. Here's its original description from Dragon #123 "Music of the Forgotten Realms" article by Ed. It should be noted that it does discuss the idea of organs in the realms as well. Also, the Zulkoon generally requires multiple individuals to play the instrument (organ pumpers and players both).

The zulkoon is a long, rectangular, wooden box that narrows at the top. Its bottom has an accordion-bellow of heavy hide that has a tendency to rupture (creating an annoying whistle and loss of #147;wind#148;), which the player rests upon the ground (or litter or chariot, if mobile) and pumps with a foot-treadle. The wind thus created goes up the zulkoon#146;s body and emerges at a number of holes, which are overlaid by ivory or bone keys and metal strings, strummed or flipped by the player to create sounds, so that the zulkoon functions something like an accordion, with an underlying droning sound.
Zulkoons require five or six arms to play properly, if their controls are at all complex, and some permanent court specimens are larger than the norm and are played by two musicians (plus two or more bellows-pumpers). Organs are rare and treasured instruments in the Realms, and are never portable; the zulkoon serves as a rudimentary organ when a true organ cannot be found.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000