Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Jhaamdath Pantheon and 'all things cosmic'
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2017 :  01:45:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

I was thinking about shifting Loviatar over to the Talfir to be with Mielikki, so maybe Kiputytto was a deity of the Talfir too. I was also thinking about moving Silvanus from Talfir to Jhaamdath to spread the forest-deity love a bit. I guess maybe for how Loviatar worship got to Dambrath, we could say that it was brought by Illuskan-Rus who had interacted with Talfir, ended up in Shandaular near their destination of Rashemen, and been drawn down through the portal to Dambrath with the others. A tad more convoluted, but Dambrath's a special case.

Edit: Having Kiputytto in Talfir and Talona in Jhaamdath is also a nice setup for them clashing over Asram.

Hmm, I like that idea. Especially if the Talfir had some kind of interaction with hags (the classic crone witch) or some other shapechangers (lamia, foxwomen, etc..), harpies/selkies/bloodthirsty dryads, or something similar like female ogre magi. I see Kiputtyto and Loviatar as very much "hag" goddesses. I'd even throw in Leira and Cegilune in the mix for the Talfir, with Cegilune having both a darkness AND moon focus (I mean, if there can be multiple sun gods, then there can obviously be multiple moon ones... though maybe Cegilune is tied to a certain phase of the moon).

In that case, I'd definitely have Eldath, Lurue and Miellikki (sp?) as the female counterpoint in the culture (I actually see there being a lot of crossover in many of these pantheons, but especially Jhaamdath and Talfir). Throw in some male deities as well (which you list Silvanus, Tempus and Mask, and those fit... but with their association to song, I'd also say Oghma).

In the Calimshan Pantheon, you definitely need to list Bhaelros (who may or may not be Talos, whom I know you list as a god of all Toril). He's been known there almost 8 centuries. They also had a death god who was very much like the anatomist type of death god, but it wasn't named.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2017 :  01:58:39  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool! Bhaelros is said to be Talos in the OGB, Empires if the Sands, and F&A at least - is this not 100%?

Edit:
Cegilune also isn't active in the Realms by the "Monster Deities" bit of Faiths and Pantheons; Selune would be a good fit for the Talfir though.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 27 Apr 2017 02:21:17
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2017 :  13:29:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cool! Bhaelros is said to be Talos in the OGB, Empires if the Sands, and F&A at least - is this not 100%?

Edit:
Cegilune also isn't active in the Realms by the "Monster Deities" bit of Faiths and Pantheons; Selune would be a good fit for the Talfir though.

Its said he is, but the two in fact have different descriptions. The classic Talos / Kozah appears with only one eye. Bhaelros is pictured as a genie with two eyes and a shining dragon (think its gold) on a chain (if you want to see the image, google "Empire of the Sands image"). Not that that's any "fact". Its just that for Talos they've done many of the "this being is Talos by another name" in various products, such that I believe Talos has subsumed other gods and/or primordials receiving worship over time. I believe that NOW Talos is Bhaelros, but I won't say that he was Bhaelros 7 thousand years ago. It was also said that Gruumsh is Talos, and on that I'm fervently in disagreement and point to the disappearance of Talos.... and say this was Gruumsh's clumsy attempt (so clumsy in fact that Auril temporarily took the power over winds).

Along these same lines, CatMan recently mentioned a Shaaran deity, Khass, from Complete Book of Barbarians. He's a "god" of rain who is either stingy or deluges the area with palm trees for fingers. It makes me wonder if this isn't another version of Talos, OR yet another primordial/god. In fact, I half wonder if all of the primordials "going to sleep" in Abeir was them actually getting slowly transferred from Abeir over time to Toril..... and Talos leaping atop them and subsuming them. In return, SOME of the deities that just disappeared from Toril may have at one time or another been transferred to Abeir. However, its more likely to occur with Primordials who are often tied to a section of land in some form, that if that section of Abeir were to go to Toril, it could drag the Primordial with it . There may even be similar things happening with primordials of the seas and cold, in which they appear here and Umberlee and Auril leap atop them. Similarly, certain "sleeping" primordials such as Ulutiu may have gotten transferred BACK to Abeir. The supposed "death" of Maztica at the hands of Zaltec may be the same thing, and the disappearance of Kukul (who may be Jazirian) could be similar. Similar things may have happened in the giant pantheon with Annam and Othea. Maybe some gods can trigger the exodus of other gods somehow into Abeir (perhaps as Shar possibly did with the spellplague), but its not easy.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2017 :  15:00:12  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I've been thinking about how deities present themselves - for example, Sune presenting herself as a white woman with red hair - and if that's more a factor of the dominant group of worshipers than any innate property of the deity themselves. In Sune's case, I had been wondering about the possibility that she might have been a Turami god, that was co-opted by the Jhaamdathans. Sune perhaps always presents herself as an ideal of beauty to the people she's appearing to, in a manner that they expect - and it's only because she's now predominantly worshiped by people of Chondathan stock that she appears as white-skinned. Perhaps she's always Sune, but she's only Sune "Firehair" since she became worshiped by a predominantly white culture - or alternatively, if you want more agency in your deities, thats how she chooses to present herself, in favour of the dominant culture.
Edit: Or, she presents herself differently to different people(s), and whoever writes the stories about her (scribes, bards, etc) are just more often aware of the red-headed version. Many possibilities.

The reason I bring it up is in regards to Bhaelros. It's my theory that he appears like that genie because that's what the people of Calimshan expect from beings of power. Like the Sune example, and to some extent the tale of Daelegoth Orndeir and Lathander in Power of Faerun, the properties of the faith influence the god. So Talos appears as a genie to the people of Calimshan, Sune appears white to Chondathans, and Lathander's star falls while Amaunator's rises - because the people believe it to be so.

Just one of many possible theories about such things, however.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 27 Apr 2017 15:19:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2017 :  19:39:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't had much time the past few days, so I fell behind with keeping up with this thread. As I am just now reading through pg.2, something jumped right out at me, and I have Kanzen to thank for this because I don't think anyone has every tried to categorize 'The Gods' in this manner before -
quote:

Elemental Powers:
Akadi, Kossuth, Istishia, Grumbar: primordial gods that were present in the creation of the planets. These gods generally don't take a huge interest in mortal affairs however, and they may not even have a presence in most pantheons.

The Gods of Fury:
Talos, Auril, Malar, and Umberlee: present since the War of Light and Darkness as some of the fell gods created. Worship is generally by geographical area (the influence of the natural forces each god represents).<snip>

Quite awhile ago I noticed we had a god in the Hordelands named Teylas, who is presumably Akadi. However, not only does the name sound like 'Talos', but the deity is also male, and acts VERY much like Talos (you'd have to read the Hordselords novel to understand). I always thought this was odd, if not an actual mistake. However, when 4e came around - and supposedly 'Elemental Powers' (primordials) couldn't have worshipers - I struck upon the idea of 'profit sharing' among gods. In other words, Akadi really can't be bothered with worship (if she can even technically get any benefit from it), so she 'contracts' with Talos - a god of storms and one who's portfolios compliment her own - to take over the day-to-day activities of running her church, and they'd 'split the profits' (the energy acquired from having Faithful). Now, although I've mentioned this theory quite a few times, I've never garnered a whole lot of support for it (which I think is odd, since the only other solution to the 4e conundrum is to just say 'the canon isn't accurate'). However, with your two sub-lists being one right above the other, I noticed something - BOTH have four powers.

And I see another water deity - Umberlee - on the second list.

Could the four 'Gods of Fury' actually either BE deific aspects of the elemental powers, OR (and I think this one makes more sense), they have some sort of relationship with those powers (almost like 'Chosen', except this is more like Uber-Chosen - actually full-fledged gods acting as Saints/Exarchs to the elemental powers).

So we'd have...

1. Talos works for Akadi (Teylas)
2. Umberlee works for Istishia
3. Malar works for Grumbar ('Earth' = 'nature' kind of thing)
4. Auril works for Kossuth.

Okay, I know what you're thinking - #3 is a bit of a stretch... and IT IS. But #4 looks flat-out WRONG... or is it? What is 'cold'? Cold isn't really an energy at all (which is why I think its one thing D&D got wrong from the very beginning). All cold is an absence of heat- its actually the same power, just reversed. Fire & Ice are really just two sides to the same coin.

So maybe Auril absorbs all the heat out of the lands under her sway, and gives that power to her patron, who is the god of heat in its rawest form - Fire. Or, she usurped her portfolio from the fallen Ulutiu, and Ulutiu had some sort of deal going with Kossuth. but she reneges on the agreement and so thats why Kossuth has had to become personally involved in running his church (he probably merged one of his avatars with a mortal, creating one of those 'greater manifestations' like we had down in the Old Empires).

On the other hand, I think Akadi, Kossuth, Istishia, and Grumbar are really just the local (Realmspace) names for the powers Misha, Kakatal, Strasha, and Grome (although, conversely, the latter could just be the local names from worlds where the Melinibonean Mythos holds sway). These powers could have even more ancient, primal names, and those beings create individual 'Ubertars' of themselves for each crystal sphere (but in FR, a bunch of weirdness happened, so they had to go to a pocket-plane world... and maybe left behind some subordinates {The Gods of Fury} to hold the fort down until such a time when they could come back).

For that last part to be true, it would mean WE (us fans here in the RW) never actually got to play with the elemental Gods before 4e - they were trapped in Abeir along with the other primordials, and that goes against canon... maybe. Problem here is that we got another set of canon that supports that (the 4e stuff). Because of their more 'primal' nature, Ao may have had to make certain allowances, and even though the gods themselves were tapped in Abeir, they would still have to be allowed limited interaction because of their nature (which may have been done through the Gods of Fury, as I've said, or not).

Even with all that taken into account (and its the only way I can see to make all the canon work together), I'd still want to do a special backstory for Kossuth, since he seems to actually have some history in The Realms. Unless, of course, we just say that wasn't really Kossuth at all - it was really Imix who the Thayans summoned (unbeknowst to them - Kossuth couldn't answer the summons). Or some other Arcomental, even (one we haven't heard of, that posed as Kossuth for a time... but Imix works best, especially considering all that happened).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Apr 2017 20:02:45
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2017 :  21:17:41  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My initial thought on the Elemental/Fury connections that Markustay made was to flip the last two connections, and associate Auril with Grumbar (because Ice is a crystalline solid structure, and when I imagine a mountain, the image in my minds-eye is a snow-covered peak), and associate Malar with Kossuth (because Fire can only exist if it is consuming something, and after we hunt something we generally use fire to cook it)...

My second thought on the Elemental/Fury connections is that perhaps the gods of fury are representative of Hybrid-Elemental Deities...

Akadi(Air) + Kossuth(Fire) = Talos(Thunder & Lightning)
Akadi(Air) + Istishia(Water) = Auril(Wind & Snow)
Istishia(Water) + Grumbar(Earth) = Umberlee(Waves & Oceans)
Kossuth(Fire) + Grumber(Earth) = Malar(Predators & Forests)

My third thought on this relates to Markustay's observation about Kossuth & Auril possibly being two sides of the same coin (Hot/Cold)... Perhaps the classic concept of 4 elements in opposition to each other (Fire vs. Water, Air vs. Earth, etc.) is inaccurate... There could be 8 elements if all of the gods of fury represent the real opposition elements, since each of the gods of fury could be seen as the "absence" or "impurity" of a particular element:

Kossuth(Heat-Motion) vs. Auril(Cold-Frozen)
Akadi(Clear-Sky) vs. Talos(Storm-Cloud)
Istishia(Fresh-Water) vs. Umberlee(Salt-Water)
Grumbar (Plant-Growth) vs. Malar(Predator-Prey)

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Edited by - Cyrinishad on 28 Apr 2017 22:12:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2017 :  22:24:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That works too.

After I wrote that, I was thinking more on the Auril/Ulutiu connection (and Auril herself has been somewhat supplanted by The Raven Queen at this point), and I thought that if one 'Fury God' may have been replaced, others may have as well. My thoughts here is that the Earthmother would have made the best 'flipside' to Grumbar - in the Hordelands (same place I yanked Teylas from) there is also Etugen, who is female and worshiped as the primal Earth god, and yet the lore says that that is Grumbar. And Etugen is much more like an Earthmoter goddess than an elemental power (although we have lots less on her - she wasn't in the novels like Teylas was).

So what if... when the Earthmother became Chauntea (also known as 'Chantee' in the eastern Realms/K-T region), she became more 'user friendly' (civilized), and thus either gave Malar (or Herne, who was even earlier) the 'Fury' aspect of her portfolio (or he just took it, or killed someone else for it, etc, etc). I think I'd prefer to spin it that Herne was just 'The Hunter' and probably an ascended mortal (at first), and Malar just killed him and took his stuff. Thus, at the beginning, Malar would have been more about Nature's 'primal fury', but then became 'The Hunter' after absorbing Herne.

Auril with Grumbar could work, but to me, its as much of a stretch as Malar was in my first version of the theory. 'Earth', to me, is more about 'growing things', whereas cold is more about 'lifelessness'. Although what I was positing were also technically 'opposites', both Auril and Kossuth are heat-based deities (as I explained above); Auril is simply the lack of it. It might be fun to work the Raven Queen into this - say that she was actually sponsored by Kossuth to take Auril's place, since Auril could not be controlled (as, perhaps, Ulutiu once was... although he was more related to cold and water).

On the other hand, the easiest thing to do is to just say Kossuth was never what we thought he was - he IS the Fifth 'Fury', who gave up his spot to Auril or someone else when he decided to take on the full role of 'Fire God'. That would mean our Elemental (primordial) Firelord would be someone else (or perhaps the real Kossuth, and the guy on Toril has just been using his name).

So we have the primordials (including the elemental lords) go off to Abeir. This leaves the elemental planes ungoverned and allowed to 'run wild' for untold centuries. Or in this case, probably the exact opposite (since the natural state is 'The Maelstrom' - a chaotic soup, which everything returned to the moment the primoridlas were all released from Abeir during the Spellplague). It was during their absence (from their elemental planes) that the Arcomental rose to power - note there are FIVE of them -

Cryonax: Prince of Evil Cold Creatures
Imix: Prince of Evil Fire Creatures
Ogrémoch: Prince of Evil Earth Creatures
Olhydra: Princess of Evil Water Creatures
Yan-C-Bin: Prince of Evil Air Creatures

So it was probably during this time where someone got it into their head that ice should be separated from Fire, and be its own thing (when really, thats a para-element). Since Asian magic has five elements, we could probably work something out there as well (The 'Fifth Element' = 'Life', thus, its 'evil opposite' would have been the cold of death.. something like that).

So maybe these Arcomentals sponsored the Furies to take the place of the elemental gods on Toril, and thats why we had five (my theoretical 'lost' fifth one that poses as Kossuth). Too bad Kossuth doesn't have any aliases - it would have been better to just say it was 'that guy' while Kossuth was stuck in Abeir. Maybe Surtr? He is listed as one of Kossuth's allies (so is Aumanator, BTW, which is interesting, in that he was dead in 1e/2e/3e). Thanks to 5e (Princes of the Apocalypse) we do have some lore in that regard now - the Elemental Evils were very active on Toril 'back in the day' (back before the Drow finally settled on Lolth, they were another option, apparently).

Hmmmmm... so if Mystra = The Weave = Magic = 'Life', would that make her the missing 'Fifth Element' in the list of the 'Big Four'? (and now I keep hearing "multipass" going through my head over and over...)

The big four are exiled, and the ebil Five take their place in the planes, and then we get the Furies (and we are missing the fire god, which is why is say whoever that was was pretending to BE Kossuth the entire time), and then the Big Four return when the Spellplague hits, and the planes are all shifted back to their 'rightful places' (Elemental chaos). So as of 4e would be the first time (if we were to accept any of this) that we have had the 'real' Kossuth. Before then, The Furies were answering prayers to the elements (not sure if Ao changed the rules about that as well - maybe primordials can receive benefits from being worshiped now).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Apr 2017 22:29:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2017 :  22:46:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thought - we know Auril is really the QoA&D now. That makes her an ascended fey. For a long time now I had pegged Umberleee as another (and both would have been 'Yuir Totems').

But what if Umberlee was an Batrachi?

What if Kossuth was Suarrukh (his original followers could have all been Firnewts - scalyfolk converted by their faith)?

And Talos as an Aearee makes a lot of sense. These guys may have been the first 'high priests' of Elemental Evil.

That leaves out human, which is fine, because I already postulated there was a missing 'Fifth Fury' (although I had it as Fire, so I'd have to rework that part). Mystryl could work, but the problem is, she already has a backstory (plus, she's in a whole 'nother league than these others). Lurue? That might work...

EDIT:
ALthough... if 'Cold' = death and it took the place of 'Life' (the Fifth Fury/Element), than Asl... errr... Nobanion might make a good alternate. Lurue encompasses Magic (which IS Life on Toril), buuuut... Nobanion has history as an enemy of 'the Ice Queen' (sort of, in a meta-gaming kind of way - Life vs. Death). Now I'm back to thinking of Nobanion and Lurue ("The Lion and the Unicorn") as different sides of the same coin again.

This is one of those times I feel like I am really close to something - one of those 'deep secrets'' of the setting.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Apr 2017 22:57:24
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2017 :  23:16:28  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some interesting ideas floating around here.

I'm out the door, but just quickly, I think we established in the primordials thread of a month or so back that the elemental gods could always answer prayers and grant spells, including in 4e.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  02:15:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I personally am not in favor of that, because it just ignores the 4e lore.

But it is simpler, I suppose.

However, it also seems to be pointless - why even have 'primordials' if they are exactly the same as the other 'gods'? I only want something if its going to make my game more interesting, not give me new words for stuff I already have.

But YMMV. If I run the Realms again, my primordials won't be able to grant spells (they can up to level three, but thats because its really a person's own 'Faith' providing the power - I think it was SJ - or maybe RL - that cam up with that). So more like 'cults', as it is/was with fiends-worship.

P.S. - I have to run, but I just thought of a way of maybe meshing the two. I have to think on it. It has to do with the 'potted plant' feat.

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2017 02:17:37
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  02:32:12  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it does ignore any 4e lore - I don't think it was ever said "primordials" can't grant spells.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  03:03:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I haven't had much time the past few days, so I fell behind with keeping up with this thread. As I am just now reading through pg.2, something jumped right out at me, and I have Kanzen to thank for this because I don't think anyone has every tried to categorize 'The Gods' in this manner before -
quote:

Elemental Powers:
Akadi, Kossuth, Istishia, Grumbar: primordial gods that were present in the creation of the planets. These gods generally don't take a huge interest in mortal affairs however, and they may not even have a presence in most pantheons.

The Gods of Fury:
Talos, Auril, Malar, and Umberlee: present since the War of Light and Darkness as some of the fell gods created. Worship is generally by geographical area (the influence of the natural forces each god represents).<snip>

Quite awhile ago I noticed we had a god in the Hordelands named Teylas, who is presumably Akadi. However, not only does the name sound like 'Talos', but the deity is also male, and acts VERY much like Talos (you'd have to read the Hordselords novel to understand). I always thought this was odd, if not an actual mistake. However, when 4e came around - and supposedly 'Elemental Powers' (primordials) couldn't have worshipers - I struck upon the idea of 'profit sharing' among gods. In other words, Akadi really can't be bothered with worship (if she can even technically get any benefit from it), so she 'contracts' with Talos - a god of storms and one who's portfolios compliment her own - to take over the day-to-day activities of running her church, and they'd 'split the profits' (the energy acquired from having Faithful). Now, although I've mentioned this theory quite a few times, I've never garnered a whole lot of support for it (which I think is odd, since the only other solution to the 4e conundrum is to just say 'the canon isn't accurate'). However, with your two sub-lists being one right above the other, I noticed something - BOTH have four powers.

And I see another water deity - Umberlee - on the second list.

Could the four 'Gods of Fury' actually either BE deific aspects of the elemental powers, OR (and I think this one makes more sense), they have some sort of relationship with those powers (almost like 'Chosen', except this is more like Uber-Chosen - actually full-fledged gods acting as Saints/Exarchs to the elemental powers).

So we'd have...

1. Talos works for Akadi (Teylas)
2. Umberlee works for Istishia
3. Malar works for Grumbar ('Earth' = 'nature' kind of thing)
4. Auril works for Kossuth.

Okay, I know what you're thinking - #3 is a bit of a stretch... and IT IS. But #4 looks flat-out WRONG... or is it? What is 'cold'? Cold isn't really an energy at all (which is why I think its one thing D&D got wrong from the very beginning). All cold is an absence of heat- its actually the same power, just reversed. Fire & Ice are really just two sides to the same coin.

So maybe Auril absorbs all the heat out of the lands under her sway, and gives that power to her patron, who is the god of heat in its rawest form - Fire. Or, she usurped her portfolio from the fallen Ulutiu, and Ulutiu had some sort of deal going with Kossuth. but she reneges on the agreement and so thats why Kossuth has had to become personally involved in running his church (he probably merged one of his avatars with a mortal, creating one of those 'greater manifestations' like we had down in the Old Empires).

On the other hand, I think Akadi, Kossuth, Istishia, and Grumbar are really just the local (Realmspace) names for the powers Misha, Kakatal, Strasha, and Grome (although, conversely, the latter could just be the local names from worlds where the Melinibonean Mythos holds sway). These powers could have even more ancient, primal names, and those beings create individual 'Ubertars' of themselves for each crystal sphere (but in FR, a bunch of weirdness happened, so they had to go to a pocket-plane world... and maybe left behind some subordinates {The Gods of Fury} to hold the fort down until such a time when they could come back).

For that last part to be true, it would mean WE (us fans here in the RW) never actually got to play with the elemental Gods before 4e - they were trapped in Abeir along with the other primordials, and that goes against canon... maybe. Problem here is that we got another set of canon that supports that (the 4e stuff). Because of their more 'primal' nature, Ao may have had to make certain allowances, and even though the gods themselves were tapped in Abeir, they would still have to be allowed limited interaction because of their nature (which may have been done through the Gods of Fury, as I've said, or not).

Even with all that taken into account (and its the only way I can see to make all the canon work together), I'd still want to do a special backstory for Kossuth, since he seems to actually have some history in The Realms. Unless, of course, we just say that wasn't really Kossuth at all - it was really Imix who the Thayans summoned (unbeknowst to them - Kossuth couldn't answer the summons). Or some other Arcomental, even (one we haven't heard of, that posed as Kossuth for a time... but Imix works best, especially considering all that happened).

One of the things I had noted was the we now have the princes of elemental evil officially in the realms now, but they only truly started showing up around the time of the sundering. It kind of got me wondering if the sundering had something to do with their arrival (i.e. maybe they came from Abeir). Granted, I know they're some kind of abyssal beings, but...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  03:15:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm out the door, but just quickly, I think we established in the primordials thread of a month or so back that the elemental gods could always answer prayers and grant spells, including in 4e.

Yep, but the mechanics of it was what Markustay was questioning. Basically, the priests might not realize it, but perhaps they needed a deity to act as an intermediary, and in return said deity got to siphon some of the faith energy.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  05:22:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Yep, but the mechanics of it was what Markustay was questioning. Basically, the priests might not realize it, but perhaps they needed a deity to act as an intermediary, and in return said deity got to siphon some of the faith energy.
Yeah, sort of that.

They did say primordials couldn't grant spells, right at the beginning - I recall there were a bunch of arguments over on the WotC boards about it. Because another change they made was making the elemental lords primordials, and THATs the part that never made any sense. The whole thing was, WotC was trying to 'have their cake and eat it too', and the new lore began to fall apart rather quickly under scrutiny (and their only answer, pretty-much, was to not scrutinize it). You can say one god was really something else all along, and you can say there is this other group (we never knew about) that can't grant divine magic spells, but what you CAN'T do is change gods that have been granting spells all along into those things that never could.

On the other hand, it makes a LOT of sense making the elemental lords primordials. But that means figuring-out how they were granting spells when they couldn't.

Another solution would be to say only the primordials trapped on Abeir couldn't grant spells, and we could go out on a limb and borrow from one of my other theories - that the whole reason for that is because the Weave isn't present (or maybe just not accessible) on Abeir (my theory was that gods were using the Weave as a 'quick & dirty' spell-delivery system, which I came up with to explain some of the weirdness that happened during the ToT with Mystra being able to stop a god from interacting with their followers). So witout the delivery system, they couldn't do it (but the primorialds/elemental lords still on Toril could). I don't like that, because its a bit wishy-washy for my tastes.

But I think what would be even easier is to scrap the whole concept, or rather, re-spin the lore around what we now to be true (in the past). Those four 'elemental lords' ARE deities. They CAN grant divine spells. BUT,... they were never primordials. They've become something akin to a primordial, because of thousands of years of being so closely connected directly to the elements. They've become 'detached' - aloof. They remained on Toril because they belonged on Toril (and that aprt actually helps the contradictory 4e lore).

ALL the primordials went to Abeir. If any of 'the gods we know' were actually primordials (other than those four), they must have been acting through intermediaries. So then WHO DID GO TO ABEIR? The Elemental Evils, of course. THOSE are the primordials, and THAT is why they've only recently become active in The Realms (again). So how wewre they active 'elsewhere'? Simple, just like the multispheric deities during the ToT, they only lost their Torillian Aspect[] - Ao had no say over that part of them that was located outside of Realmspace. And this pissed them off VERY MUCH (and their boss, the Elder Elemental Eye, who also had to work through intermediaries like Ghaunadaur - HIS Torillian aspect). The Dark God was involved in that whole affair that drove the Fey from Toril (and into The Feywild), so it makes some sense he's had designs on the place all along.

And those four? Istishia, Grumbor, Akadi, and Kossuth? Those were indeed mortals - probably the high priests of their elemental gods - who ascended and became gods in their own right. And after tens of thousands of years, people could tell them apart from the primordials (Archomentals?) they admired and aspired to be like.

So not only does that fix EVERYTHING (making all lore valid), it also finally explains why we have two separate groups of 'elemental powers' (wasn't there also ones four 'elemental good' - perhaps from a Dragon Magazine article? Just found them - there are even three of 'uncertain alignment'. That muddies things a bit (but now I'm toying with the idea of making The Raven Queen Entemoch).

And, of course, there's still the 'Potted Plant Feat' (that a person merely need take a Feat and they could worship - and receive spells from - anything... including 'a potted plant'). I've got the seed of an idea of how to spin that, but I need to get some sleep.

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  08:13:15  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really would love to see a quote about primordials not granting spells, because I don't think there's anything saying that in any of the 4e books, core or FR. I have a feeling someone assumed it on forums, but it's not actually the case.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  15:01:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to, but WotC took down their forums, and thats where some of the designers were answering questions about 4e when it was released. They're trying to 'erase' our recollections of 4e, but unfortunately for them, I have a near-perfect memory when it comes to these sorts of things.

The whole point of the 4e lore about the primordials was that they were different from the gods, and they went to Abeir and couldn't grant spells (because there is no divine magic in Abeir). Now, we can - in hindsight - say that it was the 'nature of Abeir', and NOT the primordials themselves, that kept that from happening, but thats not what they intended. Since I can't offer you proof (from their forums, which no longer exist, not my own collection of 4e books, which NEVER existed), I offer you logic instead - if the primordials are exactly the same as deities, then what, precisely, was the point of all that? Are they (WotC) now trying to say 'The Primordials' were nothing more than a different pantheon? That *might* please some of the 4e-haters around here, but I thought the primordials were one of the few semi-original things 4e introduced (not an original concept, mind you, but original to FR).

In fact, it was a major premise of 4e that there were several groups of deity-like beings (all now grouped under the term 'god') that could not grant spells, including Elemental lords, Beast Lords and anything beginning with 'Arch' (Archfey, Archfiend, Archdonut, etc). If everything can grant spells, then all of that was completely pointless - deities and gods become the same thing (and yes, I know in the RW thats true, but it wasn't true for the past decade in D&D). I LIKE them different because it makes the game/setting more interesting. The only reason to now just clump them all together is because of the difficulty in wrapping rules around all these different groups (the old concept of 'deities' was tough enough to do that with - they increased that difficulty exponentially in 4e, which is why so much lore contradicted itself).

So how about this - I'm going to go back to my 'A deity is an ascended mortal' bit. That gives them some sort of 'cosmic connection' to the group they were part of when they were elevated to divine rank (that connection that allows them to interact with the group, receiving power from worship, and granting spells in return). In Authentic Thaumaturgy (an excellent resource, BTW, that I highly recommend) this is called The Law of Association. After the being 'ascends', the Law of Contagion comes into play (once connected, always connected - in Physics we sometimes call this 'Spooky Physics' {Einstein's term for it}, but it is better known today as Quantum Entanglement {magic is REAL }). I'm only rehashing all of this so I can get to my point - this would explain how other beings - like Beast Lords and Archfey - might be able to grant spells to very specific groups (and if their power-base grew to includes others, then perhaps their powers would also increase to that of 'deity' status). Humans, due to their highly adaptive nature, have the most versatile deities (and the term comes from them), because their deities easily adapt to iclude other groups, far more quickly and efficiently than any other gods (for example, for as long as the seldarine have been around, how many humans worship them? Far more Elves worship Mystra than humans worshiping Corellon, or the rest of the Seldarine, for that matter).

BUT, primordials are different; they aren't associated with mortal groups automatically - they are created beings. I suppose, if one primordial became more 'famous' than any other (for whatever reason), and admired/feared because of this status, they could possibly ascend to become a 'god of primordials' (scary, huh?). But that is food for another train of thought. I mentioned the 'Potted Plant Feat' because it has a certain simplicity to it: a WotC designer came up with it back at the beginning of 4e to explain a lot of this weirdness (all the 4e contradictions), and it was actually based on three different, already-existing feats that did the same exact thing in 3e (for very specific groups). I've added in the fact that no-one actually needs a real 'god' to have spells up to level 3 - so you can have the crazy old hedge wizard that thinks his cat is talking to him, and THAT is based on some of the SJ or RL rules (I forget which now, but it had to do with being in a Crystal Sphere where your deity didn't have a presence, which is why RL had such limited divine magic - it doesn't allow 'gods').

So thats a nice, simple, tidy explanation that just allows us to break the rules whenever we want (fiends having cults and granting spells, etc). But why? WHY would mortals 'burn a feat' (waste time and resources studying an unnecessary path, in-game), when there are already plenty of gods that grant spells without having to do that - even a plethora of 'evil gods'? My current theory is that there is some sort of 'payoff' in the end. For fiends, it could just be that they get to become fiends themselves after death (and THAT is a pretty cool way of explaining other things, BTW). Maybe by establishing this artificial 'connection' (a personalized 'Divine Conduit'), you get the option of 'joining the group' later on. But what about the Elemental Lords? Thats the entire reason I am posting right now...

How about this? If someone does bother to take this 'Potted Plant Feat' (we need a better name for it LOL) to establish a link to an elemental lord, it also grants them access to the magical (Arcane) spheres of that element. Basically, I'm recreating the old 'specialist priest' using this. So you have to burn a Feat to worship them, but you have the potential of gaining much more power in the long run as their priest (rather than being a priest of say, Bane). That could unbalance things, so there should be a downside as well, like being more susceptible to sells of the opposing element (you should always have to sacrifice something in order to gain more power). So a high-level elemental priest could be a very scary opponent, but if you are smart, you'll also know his weaknesses.

This game (and setting) doesn't need more 'homogenization' - it needs more diversity.... more 'options'. So PLEASE, don't just take the primordials (and we can do fun things with the others, as well) and lump them into the deities, because thats a waste of some really good lore right there. The one major mistake 5e seems to be making is also one of the biggest they made with 4e - ignoring large swaths of lore that made FR so DEEP. You don't ignore (and overwrite) bits of lore that contradict what you are trying to do, you take it, DESIGN IT, and make it all the more interesting because of its foibles. I don't want the primordials to just become a 'pantheon of lost gods'. Thats BORING.

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2017 16:56:59
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  15:25:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How far back do we have evidence of people worshiping Elemental Lords?

My thoughts right now is that the Netherese came up with this 'Potted Plant Feat' (maybe just call it the 'Divine Conduit' feat?), and maybe it was based on some stuff the Creator races did (so it would have been covered in the Nether scrolls... which makes a LOT of sense, when you consider they were around in the pre-deity era).

I'm only thinking this way because it seems to be related to the magic used when creating a group spell-pool (covered in several products - I think the idea first came to be in 2e's College of Wizardry - another excellent product, IMO). I just checked it - the artifact that made that possible was called a Spellcrux (I like that name), and it seems to almost be some sort of proto-Mythalar (perhaps the Mythalar combined the power of a Spellcrux with some of the area-effects of an Elven Mythal?)

Basically, they turned an artifact into their 'god' - it can grant spells, they can draw power from it, but they also have to send power to it. That last part is because its an artificial god - it has no portfolios (or sentience... at least, not at first), so it cannot power itself through that natural process. So when someone takes the Divine Conduit feat (I am going with that), they turn their targeted god into a Spellcrux... sort of... and it becomes a 'deity' to them. IN fact, you could use the same exact feat (why even rename it?) for mages that want to join Spell-pool magic circles (Spellcruxes).

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2017 15:27:09
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  15:36:20  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Primordials vs Gods, where to start... As a history nerd, it's easy to see they added the Primordials to mimic real life, and make the D&D more "mythological". The Aesir of the Norse had the Vanir, the old Aryans who turned to Indians had the Asura and the Devas, and the greeks/romans had their gods vs titans.
Maybe it's meant to be confusing? (like real mythology is confusing). A better way than spells, is to look at what happen to people who worship them, after the worshipper dies. Do they get treated as atheist and worshippers of idols, or as worshippers of approved gods? If so, I'd think they grants spells too.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  16:55:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall their being any sort of 'afterlife' for people who worshiped the elemental Lords, but then again, I'm far from being a Planescape expert. Usually, people go to the Divine Realm of their god, but do the Elemental guys even have their own Realms? I mean, aside form having some sort of domicile with the elemental planes.

Just did a REALLY quick investigation - when you die (in FR), you go to the Fugue, where you 'recognize' an agent of your god and go with them (and if you don't have a deity, then you are 'stuck', or go with a fiend...). Now, it specifically says that you go to the deity's realm in the Outer Planes. Elemental powers live in the Inner Planes - there is NO 'afterlife' there, as far as I can tell (and like I said, it was a super-fast look-through of the 3e setting guide). So, if I were to follow your rules, Starshade, Elemental powers are 'gods', but not deities (god has just become a generic, catch-all term for anything over exarch-level of power... and 'Exarch itself is a catch-all for anything not mortal, but not quite a full god - so, most powerful outsiders). 'Afterlifes' only exist in the Outer Planes.

I hadn't even thought of that - nice catch!

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2017 17:08:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2017 :  19:19:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Random thought of the day (and it goes here, because I can't think of anywhere else it could possibly fit):

As I am doing my map research, I come across things like this: "such-&-such was built on top of the ruins of an earlier settlement... which, in-turn, was built on top of an even earlier settlement..." (ad infinitum, 'cause its The Realms). So I laughingly thought to myself, "maybe the planet used to be really tiny, and they just keep building on top of everything". And then my mind immediately jumped to Underdark - something unique to D&D settings.

What if... the Underdark used to be the surface?

What if 'The Gods' (Ao, whatever) just keep piling on new raw material - locales from other worlds, or whatever. Even powerful mortals do this (summoning material from the elemental planes and elsewhere to build stuff). This is sort of what happened to Miyeritar - it got BURIED (notice the entire moor is surrounded by high cliffs). So what if Corellon didn't really 'drive the dark elves underground', but rather, buried them alive?

Except, the persnikity bastiches survived... and they're pretty upset about things.

Now all of that is kind of silly (is it, though?), but it does make me wonder, with all this 'building on top of stuff', are there any FR settlements that have so many layers of ruins below them that the bottom layer goes all the way into the Underdark? Is this whats happening in Calimshan in some of the lore - the Drow are literally living in some of the truly ancient ruins of Coramshan, long buried (by Tidal Waves and what-not)?

Is the Underdark really just "Faerűn's Basement"?

P.S. - I did mention some 'god stuff' here, so it sort of fits with the very wide-ranging thread topic.

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2017 19:21:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  01:34:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was Spelljammer lore that did the thing of granting spells of 1st and 2nd level, even without a connection to the deity... BUT -- it's kind of in Realmslore, too -- the greater doppelganger description specifies that if a greater doppelganger subsumes a divine caster, they still get spells of 1st and 2nd level.

Ed later confirmed: "In 2nd Edition, 1st and 2nd level spells could be gained or renewed without direct connection to any deity."

As for the primordial/deity thing... I prefer the explanation that primordials are the powers of the Inner Planes, and deities the powers of the Outer Planes.

Maybe the primordials arose before the deities, because -- IIRC -- the Inner Planes predate the Outer Planes. And the Inner Planes aren't reliant on belief, the way the Outer Planes are.

But as I recall, some of the elemental deities of 2E were retconned into being primordials... So maybe once a primordial gains enough power, they are capable of granting spells. They may choose not to, but they are capable of it.

Expanding further... So we have the Inner Planes first. And eventually, critters pop up on those planes. Sooner or later, some become more powerful than others... And it keeps on going, until one of these elemental entities is a unique, sentient being. That's when they cross from being an elemental to being a primordial.

Your base primordial, though, is still nothing more than a souped-up elemental. However, they can continue to gain power, eventually becoming elemental lords and the like. And it's at that point, if they're interested, that they can start granting spells to mortals -- though most primordials wouldn't see any point to doing such a goofy thing.

So primordials are simply very powerful elementals, some of which have managed to ascend high enough to grant spells. They're not tied to mortal belief, though they can choose to drink from that well.

So why was Abeir without spells? Because none of its primordials were powerful enough to grant spells -- or they simply weren't interested in it.

And here's something else I've tossed out before -- barghests often come to the Prime as weaker entities, spend some time eating Primes, and then get strong enough to go back. Maybe those elementals that are summoned by magic are coming voluntarily, because time spent in the Prime either makes them more powerful or equates to a higher rank back home. This benefit applies to both regular elementals and those bound into the shells that become golems. (What made me think of this was a discussion on whether summoning elementals was a form of slavery or not. I came up with that spin to basically dodge the moral implications)

Maybe the spell-granting primordials realize something the non-spell-granting ones don't: there is power in harnessing mortal belief. And that's why they do it.

I'm weak on my planar lore, and I'm weak on my primordial lore... But unless I'm mistaken, that should cover everything. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; even if I don't like something, it can still be the basis for a good thought exercise.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  02:42:12  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like what Wooly has said here - I don't think whether or not primordials can grant spells is the core issue differentiating them from gods. Edit: though I do think primordials are more than more powerful elementals - core 4e had them arising from the Inner Planes the same time the gods arose in the Outer Planes.

Primordials vs gods
Some of the difference between an elemental lord/primordial can be garnered from F&A:
quote:
Like all the elemental lords, Istishia is relatively unfeeling toward his followers on Abeir-Toril. His reactions are utterly unpredictable and thus, in an odd way, predictable in their unpredictability. The reasoning behind Istishia's actions is incomprehensible to most of Faerun's inhabitants, including his worshipers. The alien and uncaring stance of Istishia and the other elemental lords has led to the mistaken impression in the Realms that they are only lesser powers and their followers merely oddball cultists. During the Time of Troubles, Istishia was not spotted in the Realms.

Some things we know that are different between them:
Primordials arose from the Inner Planes, gods from the Outer Planes
Primordials don't seem very interested in garnering mortal worshipers or the affairs of mortals
Primordials seem to most mortals as "alien and uncaring"
Ao didn't chuck primordials in with the rest of the gods in the Time of Troubles
Primordials have been referred to as "powerful beings of manifest entropy and elemental might" - implying they're more physical than spiritual (FRCG)
Primordials fought the gods in the days before the Days of Thunder

Does whether these beings can or can't grant spells alter any of the above that differentiate gods from primordials? In my opinion, it doesn't.

The spells granted by primordials
Another question to consider might be what the nature of clerical magic is in the Realms. This is not something I'm an expert on, but I have imagined it as mortals praying for "divine beings" to cause certain effects the world, and in the Realms the Weave is an intermediary (when it is present). So, what it requires is a being powerful enough to cause these effects on the world - this might be a god, it might be a primordial. It could even be argued that this might be why primordials couldn't grant spells in 4e (if such a thing were definitively true) - because they were so used to granting spells through the Weave!

Note also that they are listed as deities in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, as there were in 3e and 2e, and thus can presumably grant spells.

An interesting thought experiment might be: what about warlocks? Arguably they are granted spells by a powerful patron - for instance, an archdevil such as Mephistopheles (or even a cambion like Lorcan) can allow warlocks to cast spells. Should a primordial not be able to do what a cambion can?

Perhaps a more interesting question might be: are the spellcasting followers of primordials not clerics at all - but warlocks? Faiths and Avatars, for better or worse, does have them having priests and specialty priests and such at various times - but what if these were actually all warlocks thinking they were priests.

I'd be inclined to follow the previous method of thinking - that primordials are "divine beings" that can grant spells, but they are not the same as gods. Deities (gods and primordials) have clerics, whereas warlocks can be in a bargaining agreement for power with basically anything - but it's a different sort of arrangement to that of a priest or cleric. Clerics need to keep the favour of their deity through regular prayer and devotions, whereas warlocks just need to make themselves useful - or sometimes all they need to do is keep to the letter of their pact agreement.
ie.
Deity = divine being such as gods and primordials
God = deity arising from stuff of Outer Planes
Primordial = deity arising from stuff of Inner Planes

Edit: Consider that even Orcus and Baphomet are "deities" in the Forgotten Realms by Faiths and Pantheons, and thus can presumably grant spells. Even past this, I don't think being an outer-planar being is prequisite to granting clerical spells.

On the WotC forums
I believe that these conversations existed, but I don't give them much weight. If it's not in a published book, (or said by Ed), it's not canon - it's authors giving their opinion on things. These opinions haven't gotten past the editorial process, and they're often given by people that don't understand the Realms from top to bottom - there are very few people that do, so editing and running things past Ed is very important. In this case, it seems that what they said went and contradicted the lore of Faiths and Avatars. Although I think my Weave-retcon mentioned above might be able to explain away that, I am still of the opinion that if it isn't published, it isn't canon. Not every Realms faithful expects to have to read forums to get the world, but they do expect to have to buy all the books.

Edited by - KanzenAU on 30 Apr 2017 03:58:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  04:57:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like what Wooly has said here - I don't think whether or not primordials can grant spells is the core issue differentiating them from gods. Edit: though I do think primordials are more than more powerful elementals - core 4e had them arising from the Inner Planes the same time the gods arose in the Outer Planes.

The problem -- and why I spun it the way I did -- is Maegera. Maegera is a primordial, but at the same time, is clearly not a deity. Maegera is way more than just a regular elemental, though.

Hence, my spin that primordials are something akin to, but more powerful than elementals, while not necessarily being divine.

If we didn't have the whole "primordials are different" thing to contend with, an argument could be made that Maegera was the proxy (in Planescape terms) of some fire power.

And really, even if the primordials did arise at the same time as the deities in the Outer Planes, I don't think it invalidates the rest of my musings.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  05:02:01  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The problem -- and why I spun it the way I did -- is Maegera. Maegera is a primordial, but at the same time, is clearly not a deity. Maegera is way more than just a regular elemental, though.

Hence, my spin that primordials are something akin to, but more powerful than elementals, while not necessarily being divine.

If we didn't have the whole "primordials are different" thing to contend with, an argument could be made that Maegera was the proxy (in Planescape terms) of some fire power.

And really, even if the primordials did arise at the same time as the deities in the Outer Planes, I don't think it invalidates the rest of my musings.

I spin Maegera's current state as Dawn-War related: we know the 4 "elemental lords" didn't fight against the gods as opposed to most primordials, and maybe those that did fight against the gods were somehow reduced by losing that conflict. But then, most of the primordials that lost on Toril were supposed to end up on Abeir, so I'm not sure why Maegera stayed... maybe he's a "lesser primordial" or some such (made up term).

Edit: And I agree, it doesn't invalidate the rest of what you said.

Edit 2: Or maybe you can get elementals becoming "ascended primordials" just as mortals can ascend to become gods. Bazim-Gorag (sp?) is supposed to be an ascended batrachi who became a primordial, after all. Maybe Maegera WAS an elemental who ascended to become a primordial, which is why he's different...

Edited by - KanzenAU on 30 Apr 2017 05:12:29
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  07:26:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*meh*
If I run a D&D/Realms game again (and I feel one coming on - I'm getting bored with post-apocalypse), I'm going to spin it as I said; the mortal has to take a Feat, and then they get side-benefits (and perhaps some vulnerabilities) as well. There are a few classes like this (I recall the 2e Wujen has something like that - they had to take 'quirks' every time they leveled).

So you burn a feat, but your Priest of Kossuth can now throw (arcane) fireballs. I think thats a fair trade - getting a sub-list of spells available for the price of a single feat. All of them - even the Archomentals - can have this going on (I'd have to build a custom list for the ice dude).

And fiends, as I've said - the trade-off is getting to be a fiend when you die. of course, what kind of fiend depends on your mortal level, so don't die to early, or you'll come back as one of those melty-face guys (lemure) or a dretch. Only the deities living in the Outer Planes should be able to offer an afterlife (unless you count being a fiend a type of afterlife, which I suppose it is).

Basically, when you establish the Divine Conduit, you get connected to the plane of the god, so you become a sort-of 'native outsider' in-training. Thus, when you die, thats where you go (the 'self correcting' properties of the universe automatically send you where it thinks you belong).

In fact, this will all be very useful with the 'classless' version of D&D I am working on. In that, even a 'priest' would have to take the feat to go beyond level 3 (I prefer three, rather 1-2 - that seems rather low to me)., mostly because there really is no priest class - your just establishing a connection the way a priest does so you can cast divine magic spells.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And here's something else I've tossed out before -- barghests often come to the Prime as weaker entities, spend some time eating Primes, and then get strong enough to go back. Maybe those elementals that are summoned by magic are coming voluntarily, because time spent in the Prime either makes them more powerful or equates to a higher rank back home. This benefit applies to both regular elementals and those bound into the shells that become golems. (What made me think of this was a discussion on whether summoning elementals was a form of slavery or not. I came up with that spin to basically dodge the moral implications)

Maybe the spell-granting primordials realize something the non-spell-granting ones don't: there is power in harnessing mortal belief. And that's why they do it.
So, ummm... The Prime Material is just an 'internship'?

Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  12:08:51  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Ubtao? I realized the Father of the Dinosaurs now suddenly got considered an Primordial. He even got an outer realms spot for his followers to go in the afterlife, so he got all things a FR god is supposed to have. Druids, Clerics and an official Afterlife for his believers.
Didn't know Spelljammer gave all access to 1. and 2. level spells. Nice to know, in case some players leave FR with a cleric on a spelljammer!

Edited by - Starshade on 30 Apr 2017 12:14:29
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  12:58:21  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My take is that Ubtao is a primordial, but like the the 4 elemental lords, he didn't lose the Dawn War, and was thus not shipped off to Abeir. The FRCG explains this, saying that he betrayed the primordials to side with the gods. So, he's still a primordial (came from the Inner Planes originally etc), but he was able to remain on Toril and have worshipers. Powers and Pantheons sets him out like their other deities (having clerics etc), because he is another deity (by the definition I gave above, anyway) - he has worshipers and can grant his priests powers. He's just a primordial, not a god.

My guess re: his Outer Planar dominion is that following the Dawn War the Inner Planes were no longer safe for "Ubtao the Deceiver" - the powers there would destroy him in vengeance if they had the chance. So, the gods allowed him to have a domain in the Outlands of the Outer Planes. He's a very special case - see his writeups in P&P and the FRCG about his relationship with Dendar the Night Serpent to see why the gods seem to value him so much.

...we got a bit off track from talking about the Jhaamdath pantheon, didn't we!

Edited by - KanzenAU on 30 Apr 2017 12:59:47
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  13:34:17  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I actually have a candidate for possibly to be known in Jhaamdath: Chronos, human god of time, patron of Yuir (now an aspect of Labelas Enoreth). It is possible to place the Yuir pantheon in Jhaamdath, too, if one want to have dead or wanished minor gods there.

Edited by - Starshade on 30 Apr 2017 14:34:32
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  16:02:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would love to, but WotC took down their forums, and thats where some of the designers were answering questions about 4e when it was released. They're trying to 'erase' our recollections of 4e, but unfortunately for them, I have a near-perfect memory when it comes to these sorts of things.

The whole point of the 4e lore about the primordials was that they were different from the gods, and they went to Abeir and couldn't grant spells (because there is no divine magic in Abeir). Now, we can - in hindsight - say that it was the 'nature of Abeir', and NOT the primordials themselves, that kept that from happening, but thats not what they intended. Since I can't offer you proof (from their forums, which no longer exist, not my own collection of 4e books, which NEVER existed), I offer you logic instead - if the primordials are exactly the same as deities, then what, precisely, was the point of all that? Are they (WotC) now trying to say 'The Primordials' were nothing more than a different pantheon? That *might* please some of the 4e-haters around here, but I thought the primordials were one of the few semi-original things 4e introduced (not an original concept, mind you, but original to FR).

In fact, it was a major premise of 4e that there were several groups of deity-like beings (all now grouped under the term 'god') that could not grant spells, including Elemental lords, Beast Lords and anything beginning with 'Arch' (Archfey, Archfiend, Archdonut, etc). If everything can grant spells, then all of that was completely pointless - deities and gods become the same thing (and yes, I know in the RW thats true, but it wasn't true for the past decade in D&D). I LIKE them different because it makes the game/setting more interesting. The only reason to now just clump them all together is because of the difficulty in wrapping rules around all these different groups (the old concept of 'deities' was tough enough to do that with - they increased that difficulty exponentially in 4e, which is why so much lore contradicted itself).

So how about this - I'm going to go back to my 'A deity is an ascended mortal' bit. That gives them some sort of 'cosmic connection' to the group they were part of when they were elevated to divine rank (that connection that allows them to interact with the group, receiving power from worship, and granting spells in return). In Authentic Thaumaturgy (an excellent resource, BTW, that I highly recommend) this is called The Law of Association. After the being 'ascends', the Law of Contagion comes into play (once connected, always connected - in Physics we sometimes call this 'Spooky Physics' {Einstein's term for it}, but it is better known today as Quantum Entanglement {magic is REAL }). I'm only rehashing all of this so I can get to my point - this would explain how other beings - like Beast Lords and Archfey - might be able to grant spells to very specific groups (and if their power-base grew to includes others, then perhaps their powers would also increase to that of 'deity' status). Humans, due to their highly adaptive nature, have the most versatile deities (and the term comes from them), because their deities easily adapt to iclude other groups, far more quickly and efficiently than any other gods (for example, for as long as the seldarine have been around, how many humans worship them? Far more Elves worship Mystra than humans worshiping Corellon, or the rest of the Seldarine, for that matter).

BUT, primordials are different; they aren't associated with mortal groups automatically - they are created beings. I suppose, if one primordial became more 'famous' than any other (for whatever reason), and admired/feared because of this status, they could possibly ascend to become a 'god of primordials' (scary, huh?). But that is food for another train of thought. I mentioned the 'Potted Plant Feat' because it has a certain simplicity to it: a WotC designer came up with it back at the beginning of 4e to explain a lot of this weirdness (all the 4e contradictions), and it was actually based on three different, already-existing feats that did the same exact thing in 3e (for very specific groups). I've added in the fact that no-one actually needs a real 'god' to have spells up to level 3 - so you can have the crazy old hedge wizard that thinks his cat is talking to him, and THAT is based on some of the SJ or RL rules (I forget which now, but it had to do with being in a Crystal Sphere where your deity didn't have a presence, which is why RL had such limited divine magic - it doesn't allow 'gods').

So thats a nice, simple, tidy explanation that just allows us to break the rules whenever we want (fiends having cults and granting spells, etc). But why? WHY would mortals 'burn a feat' (waste time and resources studying an unnecessary path, in-game), when there are already plenty of gods that grant spells without having to do that - even a plethora of 'evil gods'? My current theory is that there is some sort of 'payoff' in the end. For fiends, it could just be that they get to become fiends themselves after death (and THAT is a pretty cool way of explaining other things, BTW). Maybe by establishing this artificial 'connection' (a personalized 'Divine Conduit'), you get the option of 'joining the group' later on. But what about the Elemental Lords? Thats the entire reason I am posting right now...

How about this? If someone does bother to take this 'Potted Plant Feat' (we need a better name for it LOL) to establish a link to an elemental lord, it also grants them access to the magical (Arcane) spheres of that element. Basically, I'm recreating the old 'specialist priest' using this. So you have to burn a Feat to worship them, but you have the potential of gaining much more power in the long run as their priest (rather than being a priest of say, Bane). That could unbalance things, so there should be a downside as well, like being more susceptible to sells of the opposing element (you should always have to sacrifice something in order to gain more power). So a high-level elemental priest could be a very scary opponent, but if you are smart, you'll also know his weaknesses.

This game (and setting) doesn't need more 'homogenization' - it needs more diversity.... more 'options'. So PLEASE, don't just take the primordials (and we can do fun things with the others, as well) and lump them into the deities, because thats a waste of some really good lore right there. The one major mistake 5e seems to be making is also one of the biggest they made with 4e - ignoring large swaths of lore that made FR so DEEP. You don't ignore (and overwrite) bits of lore that contradict what you are trying to do, you take it, DESIGN IT, and make it all the more interesting because of its foibles. I don't want the primordials to just become a 'pantheon of lost gods'. Thats BORING.

Hmmmm, I'm jiving on the concept of why take the feat in order to worship a fiend. So that you can become a powerful fiend after death rather than "merging with your god and disappearing". Maybe you don't even have to go through the crap fiend phase and automatically become something respectable (maybe even with some of your spellcasting). It might even make it that some fiend worshippers don't care if they die.... they see it as opening a door.

Why take the same type of feat to worship a heresy for your religion? Maybe in doing so, rather than dying you become an avatar of your god (maybe a weak one, and still under his control ultimately... but again, you don't just fade away)

Why take the same type of feat to worship a "dead god" or just some concept? Maybe in doing so, just like above, after your death, you awaken some kind of divine spark, becoming a weak version of an avatar... and maybe just maybe you can attempt to awaken the dead god and wear its suit for yourself.... but you have to be the first to put it on... because if someone else awakens "the dead god"... then about the only thing you get to become is an avatar under their control (just like someone who worshipped a heresy). This might even cause some split brain issues in reawakened gods..

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  16:05:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't recall their being any sort of 'afterlife' for people who worshiped the elemental Lords, but then again, I'm far from being a Planescape expert. Usually, people go to the Divine Realm of their god, but do the Elemental guys even have their own Realms? I mean, aside form having some sort of domicile with the elemental planes.

Just did a REALLY quick investigation - when you die (in FR), you go to the Fugue, where you 'recognize' an agent of your god and go with them (and if you don't have a deity, then you are 'stuck', or go with a fiend...). Now, it specifically says that you go to the deity's realm in the Outer Planes. Elemental powers live in the Inner Planes - there is NO 'afterlife' there, as far as I can tell (and like I said, it was a super-fast look-through of the 3e setting guide). So, if I were to follow your rules, Starshade, Elemental powers are 'gods', but not deities (god has just become a generic, catch-all term for anything over exarch-level of power... and 'Exarch itself is a catch-all for anything not mortal, but not quite a full god - so, most powerful outsiders). 'Afterlifes' only exist in the Outer Planes.

I hadn't even thought of that - nice catch!

So, maybe those who worship elemental lords spend an afterlife as elementals? Maybe this is even how some tasked genies are formed?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000